LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Re: Box office thread

Post by Omega »

Memorial Day weekend had a one off with the bo looking like it was staging a comeback, first weekend in June held some of those gains , looking like this weekend drops again.

What do you think, is it making a come back?
It is too late?
Will it be a mix of big draws highlighting the smaller market?

My guess is the market changed. It’s going to be a smaller BO for big movies and the unspoken direct market slowly becoming more important to Hollywood.

Even if they wanted to enough theaters are permanently closed they could never go back to the way it was. I don’t think it has anything to do with covid vaccines or not. It’s the population changing how it get entertainment.

There’s some talk the Hollywood wants theater owners to be come more up market like the imax and other did before covid. Nicer, cleaner. Better experience viewing the movie. I think that masks the problem of movies already overcharging for tickets and drinks. Bring more upscale to bring value to the experience isn’t going to make the experience worth more than it was two years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
............ :007:
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Ok fast 9 might be a sign, I wonder if it’ll hold or drop

Latest Weekend: Jun 25-27
F9: The Fast Saga $70.0M
A Quiet Place Part II $6.2M
The Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard $4.9M
Peter Rabbit 2: The Runaway $4.9M
Cruella $3.7M

Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Black widow didn’t break the domestic bo of $100 million, which they thought it might in early reporting.
Slightly beating FF franchise record .

There will be some analysis of the Disney plus release, and it’s impact.

My guess is far as bo right about here $70-80 million is the upper limit for now, I don’t think streaming has the impact theater owners want to claim. It a phantom like the used to blame torrents for unsold dvds and tickets. When imho it was counting unhatched eggs as lost sales.
Where as day and date is only another venue that circumvents the bo

Latest Weekend: Jul 9-11
Black Widow $80.0M
F9: The Fast Saga $10.9M
The Boss Baby: Family Business $8.7M
The Forever Purge $6.7M
A Quiet Place Part II $3.0M

Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

I think a lot of people are still nervous about going to the cinema. This pandemic is far from over, sadly.
"Daniel Craig may look tough, but it's all done with stunt doubles and camera angles" - Alan Partridge
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Disney has revealed that Black Widow has made $60 million from streaming so far. Streaming services normally keep those sorts of figures under wraps, so they're obviously happy with the news.

https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/black- ... e-numbers/

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

"Daniel Craig may look tough, but it's all done with stunt doubles and camera angles" - Alan Partridge
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Interesting take Aways from the bo

Black widow was never expected to be a top tear marvel movie, more of a ant man and wasp kind of deal than big name draw. So it’s performance is about where most reasonable people expected it to be. There were a few places predicting it might break the pandemic curse and open $100 million domestic. Which technically it did
Disney plus made Disney $60 million world wide, some say that means at a minimum $20 million from the USA & Canada.
What is different about Disney plus is that $60 million or over 2 million people rented black widow, all of this money goes directly to Disney, no theater split, no distributor percentage, no extra tax or currency exchange,
About 16 million tickets sold world wide assuming a low ball price of $10 a ticket which is not true for most areas but it’s what the statistics are. A very significant chunk of change came from digital home release. Although Disney says they will be rolling back the plus day of release movies. I don’t think any studio is going to completely walk away from such a large payday

Far as going to the movies is concerned the close theater to us that we liked is still shut down. Honestly the price of going is more in mind than before. It was a part of our lives we expected to spend money on and now it’s not.

Biggest thing Hollywood should notice is it’s only the popcorn movies the industry likes to mock that families tend to flock to making money.