Box office thread

News and Discussion of all things Dr Who
Post Reply
User avatar
Omega
0010
Posts: 6933
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:01 pm
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation
Location: the lost city
Contact:

Re: Box office thread

Post by Omega »

Be interesting to see where actuals for SW are Monday


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
............ :007:
User avatar
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Posts: 11590
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:26 pm
Location: St. Cyril's

Re: Box office thread

Post by Kristatos »

Omega wrote:Be interesting to see where actuals for SW are Monday


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yeah, that is way below the studio projection.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
"Daniel Craig may look tough, but it's all done with stunt doubles and camera angles" - Alan Partridge
User avatar
Omega
0010
Posts: 6933
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:01 pm
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation
Location: the lost city
Contact:

Re: Box office thread

Post by Omega »

Kristatos wrote:
Omega wrote:Be interesting to see where actuals for SW are Monday


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yeah, that is way below the studio projection.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
several sources are using the $175-176 million figure


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
............ :007:
User avatar
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Posts: 11590
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:26 pm
Location: St. Cyril's

Re: Box office thread

Post by Kristatos »

Omega wrote:
Kristatos wrote:
Omega wrote:Be interesting to see where actuals for SW are Monday


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yeah, that is way below the studio projection.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
several sources are using the $175-176 million figure


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
That's still an estimate. As you say, best wait for the actuals on Monday evening, though there usually isn't that much difference. Certainly not $45 million difference.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
"Daniel Craig may look tough, but it's all done with stunt doubles and camera angles" - Alan Partridge
User avatar
bjmdds
001
Posts: 13398
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:14 pm
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Re: Box office thread

Post by bjmdds »

[spoiler][video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSZUKwMYZT8[/video][/spoiler] Ending scene spoiler is predictable. It looks like a let down film, especially finding out who Rey really is. Girl power as the lead character did not sell that well in this trilogy with #metoo pushing it----------------Landing in fourth position is Universal's Cats with a disappointing $6.5 million from 3,380 locations, ranking in the top twenty among worst openings all-time for a film playing in over 3,000 locations. Negative reviews for the film heading into the weekend were met with a disappointing "C+" CinemaScore from opening day audiences and the film continued to lose momentum from there. :ROFL: The 'artist of the decade' Taylor Swift did nothing to help this garbage. Maybe she should keep her political mouth shut because people are fed up with her already. Image
----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Image
User avatar
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Posts: 11590
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:26 pm
Location: St. Cyril's

Re: Box office thread

Post by Kristatos »

bjmdds wrote:The 'artist of the decade' Taylor Swift did nothing to help this garbage. Maybe she should keep her political mouth shut because people are fed up with her already. Image
Your problem is you view *everything* through the lens of loyalty or otherwise to your cult leader. All the bad reviews and negative comments I've seen focused on the weird CGI. None of them said it was a terrible film because it starred someone who had disrespected the Fuhrer.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
"Daniel Craig may look tough, but it's all done with stunt doubles and camera angles" - Alan Partridge
User avatar
Omega
0010
Posts: 6933
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:01 pm
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation
Location: the lost city
Contact:

Re: Box office thread

Post by Omega »

Far as SW goes Disney should have split the last movie into two movie, they had too much to walk back from last Jedi to make a coherent story in two hours play time.
at this point it’s moot, Disney screwed the pooch letting somebody with a agenda other than making movies take control, Kathleen Kennedy had a wok agenda and problems with the fan base as she saw it, I think she wrong about how she views the fans she made assumptions they were anti female or anti whatever and wanted to be in the fans faces. Maybe it was how much crap George Lucas took for continually tweaking the movies that upset her to begin with. Either way they got the wrong person in charge of the movies and hurt a brand Hollywood assumed was untouchable.

After last Jedi caused the split in the fan base they should have pumped the brakes and took time to correct the main trilogy, instead the pumped the brakes on the spin off trilogies which could have worked, Solo trilogy I think could have been good. Obiwan trilogy could be good too but now it’s going to be a Disney + series that has more street cred because of the Mandalorian being better than any sw movie in decades


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
............ :007:
User avatar
bjmdds
001
Posts: 13398
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:14 pm
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Re: Box office thread

Post by bjmdds »

Kristatos wrote:
bjmdds wrote:The 'artist of the decade' Taylor Swift did nothing to help this garbage. Maybe she should keep her political mouth shut because people are fed up with her already. Image
Your problem is you view *everything* through the lens of loyalty or otherwise to your cult leader. All the bad reviews and negative comments I've seen focused on the weird CGI. None of them said it was a terrible film because it starred someone who had disrespected the Fuhrer.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
First of all, you just used the term "cult" to describe anti-leftwing politics here, which is the exact talking point of Maxine Waters, MSNBC, CNN, PBS, ABC, CBS, and ABC. You must have bought into their group think. CULT is a moronic term to be used by you far left zealots. Secondly, ALL of Hollywood is political NOW, in case you are unaware of it, from De Niro to Swift to Colbert to Kimmel to Streisand to Milano to Cryer, ad infinitum. Oh-bama was the one who corrupted HIS cabinet, NOT Trump, in fact Oh-bama's leftovers are the ones causing the mess that is gong on. Stay out of USA political discussion Kris, if you align yourself with those that deem Trump supporters a CULT. It's insulting and embarrassing for you.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Image
User avatar
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Posts: 11590
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:26 pm
Location: St. Cyril's

Re: Box office thread

Post by Kristatos »

Omega wrote: After last Jedi caused the split in the fan base they should have pumped the brakes and took time to correct the main trilogy, instead the pumped the brakes on the spin off trilogies which could have worked, Solo trilogy I think could have been good. Obiwan trilogy could be good too but now it’s going to be a Disney + series that has more street cred because of the Mandalorian being better than any sw movie in decades
I haven't seen The Mandalorian, but it does seem to have had a way more positive reception than either of the last two movies. Solo flopping at the box office was what killed off the Star Wars Stories.

Oh, and I don't normally comment on typos, but I did have a chuckle at "wok agenda". Stir-fry for all!
"Daniel Craig may look tough, but it's all done with stunt doubles and camera angles" - Alan Partridge
User avatar
Omega
0010
Posts: 6933
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:01 pm
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation
Location: the lost city
Contact:

Re: Box office thread

Post by Omega »

Kristatos wrote:
Omega wrote: After last Jedi caused the split in the fan base they should have pumped the brakes and took time to correct the main trilogy, instead the pumped the brakes on the spin off trilogies which could have worked, Solo trilogy I think could have been good. Obiwan trilogy could be good too but now it’s going to be a Disney + series that has more street cred because of the Mandalorian being better than any sw movie in decades
I haven't seen The Mandalorian, but it does seem to have had a way more positive reception than either of the last two movies. Solo flopping at the box office was what killed off the Star Wars Stories.

Oh, and I don't normally comment on typos, but I did have a chuckle at "wok agenda". Stir-fry for all!
yes solo killed the side stories but it is Kennedy’s poor leadership that is at fault.

Yeah auto correct doesn’t like some words


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
............ :007:
User avatar
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Posts: 11590
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:26 pm
Location: St. Cyril's

Re: Box office thread

Post by Kristatos »

Omega wrote: yes solo killed the side stories but it is Kennedy’s poor leadership that is at fault.
You are probably right. The most recent trilogy does seem like a tug-of-war between two competing visions, which is bizarre considering the way Disney usually micromanages its franchises. Lucasfilm, like the other Disney divisions, has a story department, which is supposed to coordinate these things, rather than having two different writer-directors going back and forth about who Rey is (for example).

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
"Daniel Craig may look tough, but it's all done with stunt doubles and camera angles" - Alan Partridge
User avatar
Omega
0010
Posts: 6933
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:01 pm
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation
Location: the lost city
Contact:

Box office thread

Post by Omega »

It was just weird that they’d have trouble with the writers and directors, normally everyone is on board when production starts but many have said there are factions in side Lucasfilms I think we see that in the end product.

Now the mandalorian seem to be the new tone for the franchise, there is talk that along with new franchise show runners the mandalorian team is going to be in charge of setting the pace and story lines .


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
............ :007:
User avatar
Omega
0010
Posts: 6933
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:01 pm
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation
Location: the lost city
Contact:

Re: Box office thread

Post by Omega »

Weekend Domestic Chart for December 20, 2019
Movie Gross %LW Thr Thr
Chng Total
Gross W
1 N Star Wars: The Rise o… $177,383,864 4,406 $177,383,864 1
2 (1) Jumanji: The Next Level $26,505,147 -55% 4,227 n/c $102,316,512 2
3 (2) Frozen II $12,980,927 -32% 3,665 -413 $387,214,888 5
4 N Cats $6,619,870 3,380 $6,619,870 1
5 (3) Knives Out $6,503,



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
............ :007:
User avatar
bjmdds
001
Posts: 13398
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:14 pm
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Re: Box office thread

Post by bjmdds »

"The Irishman" star De Niro revealed his desire on Michael Moore's podcast Friday, telling the documentary filmmaker ... "I'd like to see a bag of s**t right in his face. Hit him right in the face like that and let the picture go all over the world." De Niro added ... "And, that would be the most humiliating thing because he needs to be humiliated."-------Two of Hollywood's elitist left-wing heroes :!: ------Hollywood vs. normalcy is what this WAR is all about. Who is the CULT, normalcy or Hollywood? Here in NY and New Jersey our moronic Governors last week signed an unconstitutional law allowing illegal aliens the RIGHT to have driver's licenses :!: Who is the Fuhrer here? Who is the CULT, liberalism or normalcy? Facts override delusional desires :!:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Image
User avatar
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Posts: 11590
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:26 pm
Location: St. Cyril's

Re: Box office thread

Post by Kristatos »

Anyway, getting back to the subject of box office, The Rise of Skywalker has provoked one of those "death of the blockbuster" articles that come around every few years:
https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-ente ... 1577203972

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
"Daniel Craig may look tough, but it's all done with stunt doubles and camera angles" - Alan Partridge
User avatar
Omega
0010
Posts: 6933
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:01 pm
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation
Location: the lost city
Contact:

Box office thread

Post by Omega »

Didn’t finish reading it, same old end of whatever era
I’m sure we are due for another end of bond story.

Dark Phoenix is a outlier Disney monkeyed with it after they bought the studio and there were rumors of trouble even before Disney bought it. But truly none of the X-men movies were huge performers, most nearly broke even, making real money when fans bought Blu-ray, dvd and streaming
Star Trek films were the same kind of boat, it’s fans continuing to buy the movies long after they are out of the theaters that kept studios interested.

Deadpool was the biggest Financial success of the X-men property, followed by Logan, the wolverine and days of future past. Not 100% on all of them just judging by total bo and production cost.

Supposedly new mutants is relaunching xmen for the Disney universe

I think what is really happening is movie audiences are more savvy picking and choosing better made movies over the franchise names. With Star Wars Disney took their fans for granted assumed the turning out a finished product equaled success, when they knew they had trouble with last Jedi, solo, rogue one, rise of skywalker(?) they should have stopped to fix it before releasing. I truly think this is the lesson to take from the SW trouble. Hollywood’s mindset is a release date is sacred not to be missed, as a business that makes sense, say construction its perfect sense, but not in a industry where the consumers emotions are involved in if they enjoy the finished product or not. When they are selling stories getting them right is more important than being on time.

I’d include fantastic beasts two in the ranks of movies messed up because of scheduling.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
............ :007:
User avatar
bjmdds
001
Posts: 13398
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:14 pm
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Re: Box office thread

Post by bjmdds »

Big O, what would you say is the #1 reason people have turned on this trilogy, episodes VII, VIII, and IX? Is it the [spoiler]killing of Han solo[/spoiler] or [spoiler]diminishing Luke's role[/spoiler] or [spoiler]making Rey the #metoo heroine[/spoiler], or the [spoiler]mundane ending plot reveal of the trilogy[/spoiler] that has offended so many fans that this incarnation has underperformed substantially at the box office? Episode VIII makes its TNT cable debut on Sunday as well. What can a 78 year old Harrison Ford do with Indy 5, given people seem to be tired of uninspired plots?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Image
User avatar
Omega
0010
Posts: 6933
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:01 pm
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation
Location: the lost city
Contact:

Re: Box office thread

Post by Omega »

bjmdds wrote:Big O, what would you say is the #1 reason people have turned on this trilogy, episodes VII, VIII, and IX? Is it the [spoiler]killing of Han solo[/spoiler] or [spoiler]diminishing Luke's role[/spoiler] or [spoiler]making Rey the #metoo heroine[/spoiler], or the [spoiler]mundane ending plot reveal of the trilogy[/spoiler] that has offended so many fans that this incarnation has underperformed substantially at the box office? Episode VIII makes its TNT cable debut on Sunday as well.
I haven’t seen rise of skywalker so I don’t know what the problems are.
Luke’s role is probably an important factor, in retrospect allowing Harrison ford to set the terms for killing off solo was a mistake. Of the original cast he was the most able to carry his role.

To me the biggest factor is they didn’t have well thought out story arc worthy of being made. Lucas felt betrayed by Disney , he thought when they bought his story treatments for the last three episodes Disney would actually make them. He was shocked at the first read through of force awakens when it contained none of his ideas. Could be his ideas were really bad and Disney made the right call, but then we have to say aside from the force awakens while revisiting the original new hope Disney didn’t have a clear vision of where to take the movies. That’s on Kennedy, she had her agenda not thinking about making the series good. The Disney plus mando series is the way Disney need to approach the sw brand


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
............ :007:
User avatar
bjmdds
001
Posts: 13398
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:14 pm
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Re: Box office thread

Post by bjmdds »

After a three-year break, Star Wars will return to theaters. A new trilogy, one not tied to the Skywalkers, will launch in 2022 and have sequels in 2024 and 2026.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Image
User avatar
Omega
0010
Posts: 6933
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:01 pm
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation
Location: the lost city
Contact:

Box office thread

Post by Omega »

bjmdds wrote:After a three-year break, Star Wars will return to theaters. A new trilogy, one not tied to the Skywalkers, will launch in 2022 and have sequels in 2024 and 2026.
This was supposed to be Rian Johnson’s trilogy, rumor is Disney said no to his “vision” ,kennedy kept him around to save face for her and rain Johnson sake. Johnson is under contract but it’s to keep him quiet and under control.
Kennedy then briefly hired the game of thrones duo but they quit for a Netflix deal or something. kevin feige (the guy behind marvels success) was asked by Disney to make a movie for SW it’ll probably be his project announced in January,

jon favreau (happy from Ironman ) is behind the mandalorian and supposedly had feige’s support in getting mandalorian made, and his history with Disney and marvel (Ironman, lion king , jungle book director) he maybe be who Disney wants to head more SW projects, possibly replacing Kennedy in 2021. Supposedly even though her name is on the credits as producer she has next to no say in what favreau and feige will do because Disney is backing them. Also supposedly Disney wanted Kennedy gone already but couldn’t find someone they had confidence in to take over because Lucasfilm is such a mess, so the three year extension she got last year was to clean up the projects in production like rise of skywalker so the next head will have a clean slate to take over and move Sw forward.

Disney backed jj abrams on rise of skywalker he could make whatever he wanted despite Kennedy, they had wanted him to take her place but he refused because Kennedy has a bunch of her people installed at Lucasfilms that would lead to infighting and he genuinely didn’t want the gig.

Anyway the big take away is Disney despite public statement was not happy with SW and in attempts to correct the problem put their support behind favreau and feige. End of Star Wars geek rumor rant :)





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
............ :007:
Post Reply