Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Gemma Arterton happy to be 'average'

Post by Blowfeld »

Gemma Arterton insists she is ''average'' looking but believes not being beautiful has helped her acting career.

Gemma Arterton insists she is ''average'' looking but believes not being beautiful has helped her acting career.

Gemma Arterton doesn't want to be beautiful.

The 'Quantum of Solace' actress thinks she is 'average looking' but believes her career has been boosted by the fact she doesn't rely on her looks.

She said: 'In comparison to many actresses I think I'm really average. When I got the Bond film there was this big hoo-ha about me not being hot enough. Like, 'Why her?' I have to say, I agree. I don't think I'm in that realm. But I think in a way it might have helped me along.'

The 24-year-old British star - who worked alongside actress Olga Kurylenko in the 22nd James Bond film - feels lucky to be able to change her look when she needs to.

She said: 'There are some really beautiful actresses, like Olga Kurylenko who find it difficult. It's frustrating for her but she's so beautiful that it's almost like someone having a massive nose: you are going to take that into consideration when you're casting her. Whereas I can change my look, I can look plain or I can look dolled up.'

The actress plays a princess in forthcoming action movie 'Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time' and admitted she resented having to work on her appearance to get the part.

She told Britain's GQ magazine: 'I don't agree with what they think is beautiful. I don't think that the tanned, tousled version of me is beautiful, because it's not me. It's someone else. But my opinion against 10 producers' opinions is never going to win. Unless you're really famous and successful, then they're going to bully you into going to the gym. It's a side of the industry that I find uncomfortable.'
This story can be found at Gemma Arterton doesn't want to be beautiful.
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Re: Gemma Arterton happy to be 'average'

Post by Dr. No »

I don't think she is average. If that is the self image she has of herself I worry for her.
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
katied

Post by katied »

I thought Olga was prettier. Not that Gemma is ugly..I just don't get why she's so appealing.
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Blowfeld wrote:

Gemma Arterton doesn't want to be beautiful.

The 'Quantum of Solace' actress thinks she is 'average looking' but believes her career has been boosted by the fact she doesn't rely on her looks.

She said: 'In comparison to many actresses I think I'm really average. When I got the Bond film there was this big hoo-ha about me not being hot enough. Like, 'Why her?' I have to say, I agree. I don't think I'm in that realm. But I think in a way it might have helped me along.'

The 24-year-old British star - who worked alongside actress Olga Kurylenko in the 22nd James Bond film - feels lucky to be able to change her look when she needs to.

She said: 'There are some really beautiful actresses, like Olga Kurylenko who find it difficult. It's frustrating for her but she's so beautiful that it's almost like someone having a massive nose: you are going to take that into consideration when you're casting her. Whereas I can change my look, I can look plain or I can look dolled up.'

The actress plays a princess in forthcoming action movie 'Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time' and admitted she resented having to work on her appearance to get the part.

She told Britain's GQ magazine: 'I don't agree with what they think is beautiful. I don't think that the tanned, tousled version of me is beautiful, because it's not me. It's someone else. But my opinion against 10 producers' opinions is never going to win. Unless you're really famous and successful, then they're going to bully you into going to the gym. It's a side of the industry that I find uncomfortable.'
This story can be found at Gemma Arterton doesn't want to be beautiful.
I think people were wondering why they bothered with her character. It was a stupid name and stupid story.
............ :007:
katied

Post by katied »

I think people were wondering why they bothered with her character. It was a stupid name and stupid story.
To quote Spinal Tap, "There's a fine line between clever and stupid". Her character was throwaway more than anything else.
McGee's sister
New Recruit
Favorite Movies: Phantom of the Opera
Chicago

Post by McGee's sister »

I for one am glad she was there. Her comments about Craig were worth it to me. Although this is the problem with the newer communications generations. There are all kinds of clauses in her contracts but we are used to living our lives twittering so she said what she felt about her co star. Unfortunately she did voice what the truth, a lot in her generation see Barbara's favorite boy as more a father figure than a lust interest. Brosnan at least he the Soccer Moms and their shapely daughters ;)
Dr. No
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

katied wrote:I thought Olga was prettier. Not that Gemma is ugly..I just don't get why she's so appealing.
I ma not saying she is a super model juts the she is a pretty young woman. since I didn't see the mvoie so I have no idea how she was in it, but I worry about young women who talk down their beauty because a good self image is so hard for children to find. Hearing some one as pretty try to say she is only average, IMO average isn't bad I just worry that she will hurt herself because of this poor self image. Maybe I am reading wayyyy to much in it. I hope so
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
katied

Post by katied »

She's definitely got some self esteem issues,which is a shame.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

katied wrote:She's definitely got some self esteem issues,which is a shame.
I wonder if she was bullied as a child due to the extra fingers she was born with. I know she has had them surgically removed, but when she says she's happy to be average, I wonder if she's subconsciously thinking "as opposed to a six-fingered freak".
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Dr. No
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

Kristatos wrote:
katied wrote:She's definitely got some self esteem issues,which is a shame.
I wonder if she was bullied as a child due to the extra fingers she was born with. I know she has had them surgically removed, but when she says she's happy to be average, I wonder if she's subconsciously thinking "as opposed to a six-fingered freak".
I may take it back then. I didn't know about teh 6 fing :D er issue. Poor kid. I can imagine why Normal is so important to her now. I jumped to the conclusion I did because some many young women have poor selfimages and I assumed this was the symptoms of that.