QOS ruined by CGI?

Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Moonraker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

QOS ruined by CGI?

Post by Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry »

Quantum of Solace was a mess. But that mess was made even worse by the awful use of CGI. The parachute jump is now rather infamous. CGI-ing Daniel Craig's face onto a stuntman during the speedboat scenes did not work.

What did Eon spend all that budget on? Did the Broccoli heirs have some university fees or property to buy? :evil:
LilleOSC
Lieutenant
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger

Re: QOS ruined by CGI?

Post by LilleOSC »

Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry wrote: What did Eon spend all that budget on?
That's what I keep wondering. Was the opera scene and the Bolivian general's cell-powered base expensive?
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

LilleOSC wrote:
That's what I keep wondering. Was the opera scene and the Bolivian general's cell-powered base expensive?
I think they probably were, but because of Forster's direction, the money wasn't up there on the screen. I watched Dr. No again last night and the contrast was stark. Despite the limited budget (by Bond standards), Terence Young made sure we got to take in every detail of Ken Adam's sets.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Milton Krest
Lieutenant

Post by Milton Krest »

Kristatos wrote:
LilleOSC wrote:
I think they probably were, but because of Forster's direction, the money wasn't up there on the screen. I watched Dr. No again last night and the contrast was stark. Despite the limited budget (by Bond standards), Terence Young made sure we got to take in every detail of Ken Adam's sets.
Thats true Kristatos! this film looked cheap and most importantly the script, the acting were all crap!!! :)
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

Kristatos wrote:
LilleOSC wrote:
Yes Dr No is a beautiful film. Cost next to nothing even in 1960s money, which was wroth more than teh dollar is today :(
I don't think CGI can ruin a film, the old bond films have ridiculous projected backdrops (did they have blue screening back then?) for driving scenes and other action pack moments. Those movies hold up and are incredibly enjoyable. DAD did to much CGI IMO but is still an enjoyable film. most older movies forgetting about bond for moment have crappy CGI and they still are great films. Much better than many new ones IMHO.

maybe bad CGI or maybe poorly done cCGI looks worse on the big screen. I always though some of them look better at home on the TV
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Dr. No wrote:maybe bad CGI or maybe poorly done cCGI looks worse on the big screen. I always though some of them look better at home on the TV
Funnily enough, I think it's the other way around. I think bad CGI actually looks worse on the small screen, for some reason.
katied

Post by katied »

The parachute jump is the most obvious(recent) offender.I didn't notice the CGI in the speedboat scenes.I do remember thinking I could tell when it was a stuntman and not Craig in CR though.
Last edited by katied on Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Milton Krest
Lieutenant

Post by Milton Krest »

katied wrote:The parachute jump is the most obvious(recent) offender.I didn't notice the CGI in the speedboat scenes.I do remember thinking I could tell when it was a strunkman and not Craig in CR though.
Craig stuntman looks like steve zahn :D The fight on the stairway in Royale is clearly a double! that scene reminds me of the Ateam when hannibal is fighting! :D
The Sweeney
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, GF, LTK, CR, FRWL
Favorite Movies: Bullitt, The Long Good Friday, The Towering Inferno, Jaws, Rocky, Superman the Movie, McVicar, Goodfellas, Get Carter, Three Days of the Condor, Butch & Sundance, The Sting, All the Presidents Men

Post by The Sweeney »

Milton Krest wrote:
katied wrote:The parachute jump is the most obvious(recent) offender.I didn't notice the CGI in the speedboat scenes.I do remember thinking I could tell when it was a strunkman and not Craig in CR though.
Craig stuntman looks like steve zahn :D The fight on the stairway in Royale is clearly a double! that scene reminds me of the Ateam when hannibal is fighting! :D
I noticed the stunt double there too.

At least its not as bad as the obvious stunt double in the Moore films. Now they were bad....
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Anyone ever see the Wayans brothers' blaxpoitation spoof I'm Gonna Git You Sucka? Funniest use of an obvious stunt double ever.
katied

Post by katied »

Have you seen a picture of Craig's stuntman?He looks *nothing* like Craig.