The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love

Re: The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

Post by stockslivevan »

John McTiernan? What was his last flick that was better than good? The Hunt for Red October? That's almost two decades ago. I'd go for him but his recent entries such as ROLLERBALL don't exactly get me excited. Plus he's American, I'd prefer a Brit take over as director, keeping the British end up

:cheers: .
Mazer Rackham
Q
Favorite Bond Movie: Thunderball
From Russia with love

Post by Mazer Rackham »

This weekends estimate #s

Code: Select all

1 	Yes Man 	$18,160,000 	
2 	Seven Pounds 	$16,000,000 	
3 	The Tale of Despereaux 	$10,507,000 
4 	The Day the Earth Stood Still $10,150,000 	
5 	Four Christmases 	$7,745,000 	
6 	Twilight  $5,227,000 	-34.3% 	2,991 	-658 	$1,748 	$158,461,000 	$37 	5
7 	Bolt 	$4,256,000 
8 	Slumdog Millionaire 	$3,150,000 	
9 	Australia 	Fox 	$2,325,000 	
10 	Quantum of Solace $2,150,000 	-42.1% 	1,874 	-761 	$1,147 	$161,300,000

The Only surprises to me is how well Twilight continues to do. If Quark had flopped as badly as "Day the Earth" they would have now choice but to replace Craig. Although Day the Earth is only a $80m movie, it will be in profit before the new year. Also it's not a frachise film (Matrix four for instance), it's a remake and audiences aren't always compelled to see 'em.
"That f**king truck driver!" Ian Fleming
Mazer Rackham
Q
From Russia with love

Post by Mazer Rackham »

stockslivevan wrote:John McTiernan? What was his last flick that was better than good? The Hunt for Red October? That's almost two decades ago. I'd go for him but his recent entries such as ROLLERBALL don't exactly get me excited. Plus he's American, I'd prefer a Brit take over as director, keeping the British end up

:cheers: .
John McTiernan has a better track record than Martin Campbell. The Thomas Crown Affair,The 13th Warrior, Die Hard 3, Medicine Man, The Hunt for Red October, Die Hard, classic well made movies with great stories. But he does have a few lemons like Last Action Hero and Rollerball , I suppose Basic was decent but I didn't care for it.
With a good script John McTiernan could make a great Bond movie. Doubtful but maybe they are looking a him, according to IMDb he is busy until 2011 meaning he probably finishes that movie in 2010 and could be ready for another project early 2011.
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

I saw the Father Ted vid before it disappeared....

I wonder who Barbara will dig up to direct the next one?
Bring back Bond!
katied

Post by katied »

That'll be interesting. Opinions on various Bond boards tend towards the rediculous,or people who would never direct a Bond film, no matter how much money they were offered.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

carl stromberg wrote:I wonder who Barbara will dig up to direct the next one?
Lets see which middlebrow hack wins the Best Picture Oscar this year. You can bet that whoever it is will at least be approached.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

Mazer Rackham wrote:The Thomas Crown Affair,The 13th Warrior, Die Hard 3, Medicine Man... classic well made movies with great stories.
Classic? :lol: I agree with Red October and Die Hard, but the rest I find either average or worse.
Milton Krest
Lieutenant

Post by Milton Krest »

Mazer Rackham wrote:This weekends estimate #s

Code: Select all

1 	Yes Man 	$18,160,000 	
2 	Seven Pounds 	$16,000,000 	
3 	The Tale of Despereaux 	$10,507,000 
4 	The Day the Earth Stood Still $10,150,000 	
5 	Four Christmases 	$7,745,000 	
6 	Twilight  $5,227,000 	-34.3% 	2,991 	-658 	$1,748 	$158,461,000 	$37 	5
7 	Bolt 	$4,256,000 
8 	Slumdog Millionaire 	$3,150,000 	
9 	Australia 	Fox 	$2,325,000 	
10 	Quantum of Solace $2,150,000 	-42.1% 	1,874 	-761 	$1,147 	$161,300,000

The Only surprises to me is how well Twilight continues to do. If Quark had flopped as badly as "Day the Earth" they would have now choice but to replace Craig. Although Day the Earth is only a $80m movie, it will be in profit before the new year. Also it's not a frachise film (Matrix four for instance), it's a remake and audiences aren't always compelled to see 'em.

QOS really has bombed! i wonder had potter come out wether it would have made even less!? i am suprised it took as much as 161 million because its such a poor,poor film :(
Mazer Rackham
Q
From Russia with love

Post by Mazer Rackham »

Quark finished up the weekend at $2,051,882.
Its done in the US. I don't expect x mas to do much for it. Besides it will be losing more screens as the new batch of movies are released.
Mazer Rackham
Q
From Russia with love

Post by Mazer Rackham »

stockslivevan wrote:
Mazer Rackham wrote:The Thomas Crown Affair,The 13th Warrior, Die Hard 3, Medicine Man... classic well made movies with great stories.
Classic? :lol: I agree with Red October and Die Hard, but the rest I find either average or worse.
Whoa there mate. I guess this shows the level or your movie connoisseur-ship ;)
You gave an awful piece of rubbish like Quark 8/10 (brag that loved one gives it 9/10). Bollocks! You're not movie connoisseur you are Bond roadie.
We're not talking about Die Hard 2 and 4. The only one there is a little wriggle room with is 13th Warrior. Which is based on an obscure Michael Crichton book, which is in turn is based on an obscure 13th century manuscript. For those of us who have read Eaters of the Dead this is the best telling possible of the difficult story. It's not like it was Timeline ;)

All of the movies I listed were well crafted, well acted and well directed. If you find them "average or worse" then you wont mind Uwe Boll at the helm for Bond 23 -working title "The 7% Botox Solution" :P :twisted:
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

Agree $161 million in USA still surprising amount, but far short of CR's $180 million adjusted inflation revenue here. It is done here, there, and everywhere, except Japan. CR had a nice bounce Christmas-New Years. I doubt this rubbish will. 2009 will be a year of Eon reflection, MGW rest, DC release of more poor films, and maybe big news about a new Bond? :cheers:
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

Mazer Rackham wrote: Whoa there mate. I guess this shows the level or your movie connoisseur-ship ;)
You gave an awful piece of rubbish like Quark 8/10 (brag that loved one gives it 9/10). Bollocks!
I'm only speaking the truth afterall. :wink:
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

Stocks, or Python, the gang at MI6 still does not understand the movement. Some interesting 'digs' again at contrary views. Some things never change. BUT, did you happen to notice that Quantum Of Solace has been PULLED from MOST Manhattan theatres the week of Christmas? Shocking, positively shocking. :shock: You really have to look hard now in NYC to find a theatre running this! Facts, nothing but the facts, and I believed this film coud be done before Christmas. It has come to pass.....it gives me more than a Quantum of Solace to see that MGW ate his words predicting this pile of rubbish would outdo CR...... :cheers:
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

Why should I care? It's already made over $500 million worldwide so it pretty much sums up that Daniel Craig is still going to return for a third Bond film. :wink:
The Sweeney
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, GF, LTK, CR, FRWL
Favorite Movies: Bullitt, The Long Good Friday, The Towering Inferno, Jaws, Rocky, Superman the Movie, McVicar, Goodfellas, Get Carter, Three Days of the Condor, Butch & Sundance, The Sting, All the Presidents Men

Post by The Sweeney »

bjmdds wrote:Stocks, or Python, the gang at MI6 still does not understand the movement. Some interesting 'digs' again at contrary views. Some things never change. BUT, did you happen to notice that Quantum Of Solace has been PULLED from MOST Manhattan theatres the week of Christmas? Shocking, positively shocking. :shock: You really have to look hard now in NYC to find a theatre running this! Facts, nothing but the facts, and I believed this film coud be done before Christmas. It has come to pass.....it gives me more than a Quantum of Solace to see that MGW ate his words predicting this pile of rubbish would outdo CR...... :cheers:
BJ, QoS may not outdo CR, and maybe Sony and EON will struggle to make a profit from this film. Some of this can be put down to bad word of mouth, or the current global financial climate, but does it suprise you that Craig's second outing is as popular with the public worldwide as Brozza was after his second film....?

And also, like Stocks said, its made enough now for Bond 23 to be greenlit with Craig as Bond....
Terry
Lieutenant

Post by Terry »

QOS was supposed to be the knockout blow for the Craigers with $200+ million in the US, BAFTA nominations, Bond mania etc. It has hasn't done poorly enough to threaten an immediate change of Bond actor but it has put paid to any nonsense about Daniel Craig making six or seven films. If Bond 23 is as bad as QOS, and with the current team at Eon that must be as likely as not, it will collapse even sooner at the box-office.
katied

Post by katied »

They have probably always planned to make Bond 23...even if QOS was a failure.I mean,the movies being a failure hasn't stopped them before(Dud Another Day,anyone?).
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

katied wrote:They have probably always planned to make Bond 23...even if QOS was a failure.I mean,the movies being a failure hasn't stopped them before(Dud Another Day,anyone?).
DAD wasn't a failure (at the box office, anyway).
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
The Sweeney
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, GF, LTK, CR, FRWL
Favorite Movies: Bullitt, The Long Good Friday, The Towering Inferno, Jaws, Rocky, Superman the Movie, McVicar, Goodfellas, Get Carter, Three Days of the Condor, Butch & Sundance, The Sting, All the Presidents Men

Post by The Sweeney »

Terry wrote:QOS was supposed to be the knockout blow for the Craigers with $200+ million in the US, BAFTA nominations, Bond mania etc. It has hasn't done poorly enough to threaten an immediate change of Bond actor but it has put paid to any nonsense about Daniel Craig making six or seven films. If Bond 23 is as bad as QOS, and with the current team at Eon that must be as likely as not, it will collapse even sooner at the box-office.
Well, saying QoS is a bad film is purely a personal opinion. Likewise, my opinion of Brozza's films were pretty awful, and they managed to survive 4 films in a row, topping it off with the worst film in the entire franchise with DAD, which did wonders at the BO.

Bond is a very strong franchise, and can sustain a lengthy period of bad releases. The Brozza years are living proof of this, so if Bond 23 is similar in quality to QoS, I doubt it will hurt it too much at the BO.
Milton Krest
Lieutenant

Post by Milton Krest »

The Sweeney wrote:
Terry wrote:QOS was supposed to be the knockout blow for the Craigers with $200+ million in the US, BAFTA nominations, Bond mania etc. It has hasn't done poorly enough to threaten an immediate change of Bond actor but it has put paid to any nonsense about Daniel Craig making six or seven films. If Bond 23 is as bad as QOS, and with the current team at Eon that must be as likely as not, it will collapse even sooner at the box-office.
Well, saying QoS is a bad film is purely a personal opinion. Likewise, my opinion of Brozza's films were pretty awful, and they managed to survive 4 films in a row, topping it off with the worst film in the entire franchise with DAD, which did wonders at the BO.

Bond is a very strong franchise, and can sustain a lengthy period of bad releases. The Brozza years are living proof of this, so if Bond 23 is similar in quality to QoS, I doubt it will hurt it too much at the BO.
I thought all of Brosnans films were pretty entertaining personally! I think QOS is the worst Bond at present date. DAD is obsurd but entertaining.QOS did not have the saving grace of humour or style and that damm shacky cam made it unwatchable! :)