The Last Movie You Watched

General Movie Discussions & Reviews

Re: The Last Movie You Watched

Postby John P. Drake » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:21 am

Movies I watched this month:

• Hobbs and Shaw (2019) - 8/10 ; Strong suit: Fun factor, the visual effects and the stars
  • Once Upon A Time in Hollywood (2019) - 7/10 ; Strong suit: The atmosphere and consistency
  • Deadfall (1968) - 6/10 ; Strong suit: Soundtrack, acting performances, visuals, cinematography and editing
  • The Marseille Contract (1974) - 7/10 ; Strong suit: The stars and the atmosphere
  • The Great Escape (1964) - 8/10 ; Strong suit: Ensemble cast and story
  • Get Carter (1971) - 9/10 ; Strong suit: Visual effects, cinematography, editing, atmosphere, Michael Caine
  • Get Carter (2000) - 7/10 ; Strong suit: Fun factor, Sylvester Stallone
  • Pulp (1972) - 6/10 ; Strong suit: Michael Caine

All of them were above enjoyable at the very least. Some good, some great, some slightly above the average.
John P. Drake
Agent

Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No, From Russia With Love, Goldfinger, Thunderball, The Spy Who Loved Me, Moonraker, For Your Eyes Only, The Living Daylights, GoldenEye, Tomorrow Never Dies.
Favorite Movies: There are many to tell, but I prefer something that has a great storyline with loads of escapism and fantastic performance with over-the-top elements which would be pleasing. Action is the main genre I follow, and the spy genre would second that.

Postby Kristatos » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:12 pm

I want to see Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, but haven't found the time yet.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Balls, Q?
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Postby John P. Drake » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:39 pm

Kristatos wrote:I want to see Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, but haven't found the time yet.

I think you'll enjoy it. I had a lot of fun with it. It's a cinephile's love letter to the sixties.
John P. Drake
Agent

Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No, From Russia With Love, Goldfinger, Thunderball, The Spy Who Loved Me, Moonraker, For Your Eyes Only, The Living Daylights, GoldenEye, Tomorrow Never Dies.
Favorite Movies: There are many to tell, but I prefer something that has a great storyline with loads of escapism and fantastic performance with over-the-top elements which would be pleasing. Action is the main genre I follow, and the spy genre would second that.

Postby Kristatos » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:53 pm

John P. Drake wrote:
Kristatos wrote:I want to see Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, but haven't found the time yet.

I think you'll enjoy it. I had a lot of fun with it. It's a cinephile's love letter to the sixties.
Going to see it tomorrow. Did it have an intermission? Some Tarantino films do.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Balls, Q?
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Postby Kristatos » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:10 pm

Answer: no, it doesn't. Lucky I visited the concession stand before I went in.

Well, I enjoyed it. Maybe the whole was less than the sum of its parts, but there were some great scenes in there. And I do wonder whether the people claiming that it was disrespectful to Bruce Lee realised that Cliff (Brad Pitt) was daydreaming that whole sequence.

A few Bond nods in there: during the flashback with his wife on the boat, Brad Pitt emerges from below decks wearing a wetsuit like Connery's in Thunderball and holding what looks like a harpoon gun. There is a snatch of the fanfare from OHMSS (later reused in AVTAK) during the end credits. And Rick Dalton appears in a Eurospy movie that is explicitly described as a Bond knock-off by the narrator (Kurt Russell).
Balls, Q?
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Previous

Return to Movies