UK General Election 2017

A place for friendly discussions of politics in general.

UK General Election 2017

Postby Kristatos » Mon May 15, 2017 8:24 pm

Someone asked for a general election thread. Well here it is. I'm going to start with the really important news: the Wessex Regionalists are running a candidate in Devizes. Our newly appointed president, Jim Gunter, lives in the constituency, and has decided to stand for election there.

Balls, Q?
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Re: UK General Election 2017

Postby carl stromberg » Wed May 17, 2017 5:49 pm

The Conservatives have just been up my street. I'm not sure why they are bothering as we have a Conservative MP who has a majority of 17000, and UKIP were second last time round.

I looked at the Wessex Regionalist website recently and was surprised that Colin Bex was criticising the EU, as I thought they always liked the EU.
Bring back Bond!
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence

Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Postby Kristatos » Wed May 17, 2017 9:27 pm

We've always been critical of the EU, but were against Brexit, as we thought leaving the EU altogether was throwing out the baby with the bathwater. Colin making a pro-Brexit statement was highly controversial. The view outlined in the leaflet I posted more accurately represents the consensus within the party.
Balls, Q?
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Postby Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry » Fri May 19, 2017 5:47 pm

The Liberal Democrats are not doing too well - they could only get about 4 seats.
Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Favorite Bond Movie: Moonraker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

Postby Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry » Fri May 19, 2017 8:38 pm

http://www.eadt.co.uk/news/election-2017-south-suffolk-ukip-hopeful-aims-for-interstellar-travel-1-5026406

Election 2017: South Suffolk UKIP hopeful aims for interstellar travel

Election candidates often make ambitious policy claims – but South Suffolk UKIP candidate Aidan Powlesland is hoping to kick-start inter-stellar travel and mining in the asteroid belt if he is elected on June 8.

He says he would like the government to: “Offer £1.2 billion worth of prizes, in the form of share capital, to the companies that win competitions to:
a) Design an interstellar colony ship.
b) Profitably mine the asteroid belt for water and/or platinum, so long as they do so by 2026.
c) That convert the ML86X design into a flying aircraft carrier. This is a giant airship being designed by an American company as a cargo-carrier.
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

Postby Kristatos » Fri May 19, 2017 8:41 pm

The Tories are promising (threatening?) to lift the UK ban on the ivory trade if elected [ANGRY FACE]
Balls, Q?
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Postby Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry » Wed May 24, 2017 10:34 pm

Kristatos wrote:The Tories are promising (threatening?) to lift the UK ban on the ivory trade if elected [ANGRY FACE]

Why lift the ban? Who wrote the Conservative manifesto - were they trying to annoy people?

Bit weird as no campaigning for several days because of the terrorist attack.
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me

Postby acid » Thu May 25, 2017 5:01 pm

Kristatos wrote:The Tories are promising (threatening?) to lift the UK ban on the ivory trade if elected [ANGRY FACE]

:shock: :shock: :shock: :cuss:

To coin a phrase previously delivered by our dear Sir Rog:

Brilliant. I'm almost speechless with admiration. _.///

Seriously, to say this is amoral and idiotic is an understatement. I didn't realize accelerated extinctions were a laudable goal for the UK. Are they trying to drag the country back to Victorian times and beyond? And this as part of an election campaign? Really?

Edit: It seems that specifically they have failed to keep, and given up on, an earlier pledge to apply a ban. Still, the end result is just the same. :(
Last edited by acid on Thu May 25, 2017 5:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
acid
Lieutenant

Favorite Bond Movie: Dr No, From Russia with Love, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, Octopussy, For Your Eyes Only, A View To a Kill, The Living Daylights, Goldeneye

Postby Kristatos » Thu May 25, 2017 5:04 pm

Sir Roger was a well-known animal lover, and would never have approved of this policy.
Balls, Q?
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Postby acid » Thu May 25, 2017 5:15 pm

Kristatos wrote:Sir Roger was a well-known animal lover, and would never have approved of this policy.

Agreed. I should probably point out my quote is one of Moore's most sarcastic lines as Bond (from AVTAK). I didn't intend anyone to take it literally!
acid
Lieutenant

Favorite Bond Movie: Dr No, From Russia with Love, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, Octopussy, For Your Eyes Only, A View To a Kill, The Living Daylights, Goldeneye

Return to Politics