US Presidential Election 2016

A place for friendly discussions of politics in general.

Your Choice For President of the United States

Poll ended at Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:30 pm

Donald J Trump
67%
Hillary R Clinton (Democrat)
No votes
Jill Stein (Green)
No votes
Gary Johnson (Libertarian)
17%
Write in candidate: Jeb Bush, Bernie Sanders, Ted Cruz, Joe Biden, Marco Rubio, Elizabeth Warren
No votes
None of the above
17%

Total votes: 6

Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Moonraker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

Re: US Presidential Election 2016

Post by Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry »

Kristatos wrote:
Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry wrote:
Goldeneye wrote:
Kristatos wrote:I doubt I'd be on Trump's or Hillary's radar, or even Jill Stein's or Gary Johnson's. But there are literally thousands of these minor parties. Unfortunately, Dr Azarvan had to pull out, as the university where he teaches told him that he would have to take an unpaid leave of absence in order to campaign, and as the sole breadwinner for a family of five, he couldn't afford to do that. That's what happens when regular folks, as opposed to career politicians, try to run for President.
Anybody who travels for eight months campaigning does not have a regular job they need to pay the bills. Maybe why we are constantly inundated with senators vying for the top job. Nobody cares if they show up for work!

But I am tired of the two party system. Something more democratic would be a nice change of pace. The two parties are so entrenched nobody can get anything done without them.
It's similar in most places with two big parties - one right on left - dominating things. Although in the UK we have the Scottish National Party who have taken over in Scotland.
We pretty much have 5-party politics even in England, with the Tories, Labour, Lib Dems, UKIP and the Greens all having representation in Parliament. Add to that Plaid Cymru and the SNP, with Mebyon Kernow having some success at the local level, and we have a much more varied political landscape, even with a first past the post voting system. It would probably be even more so if we had proportional representation.
Yes you are right - the smaller parties grow all the time. I always forget that UKIP (and Green) got millions of votes in the general election too.
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

The father of a Muslim-American soldier killed in Iraq who is caught up in a war of words with Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump is an immigration lawyer who specializes in a highly controversial program accused of letting immigrants buy their way into the U.S.

Khizr M. Khan's website notes that he works to help clients with the E-2 and EB-5 programs that let overseas investors buy into U.S. companies and also provides green cards for family members.

It also said that he helps in the purchase of U.S. real estate and businesses. The website lists his ability to practice in New York, though it gives a Washington phone number for the lawyer who lives in Virginia. A man who answered the phone said the website was correct, though he would not identify himself.

"The E-2 and EB-5 are two of the most notoriously abused visa categories that essentially allow wealthy foreigners to buy their way to U.S. residency, and possibly citizenship, with a relatively modest investment," said Jessica Vaughan, the policy director for the Center for Immigration Studies.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Labor Day has passed, and Real Clear Politics polling average has Clinton 2.1 points ahead of Trump - essentially a statistical dead heat, since most polls have a margin of error of around 3%. Both their favorability ratings are underwater, though Trump's show a slight upward trend, whilst Clinton's are slowly creeping downward.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

A new CNN poll shows Republican Donald Trump has closed an 11-point gap with Democrat Hillary Clinton and leads her nationally in the race for the White House by two points :!: :!: :!: :happy spin: :happy spin: :happy spin: :happy spin: :happy spin: :happy spin: :happy spin: :happy spin: :martini: :martini:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Concise summary of polling data here from Nate Silver: http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/ele ... shrinking/
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Kristatos wrote:Concise summary of polling data here from Nate Silver: http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/ele ... shrinking/
That guy got trump completely wrong from the start. How can he fail so badly and still have street cred? Not saying he doesn't have some points just pointing out he bellyflop already this election cycle.

Problem with polling this year is before they start they have to decide on a model that is probably flawed in some way. I think they over poll trying to call the race as its happening. Gives the news Chanel's something to talk about but that about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
............ :007:
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

There are millions of over 60 year old first time voters who will vote for Trump and the polling idiots have no clue about this group of people :!:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Omega wrote: That guy got trump completely wrong from the start. How can he fail so badly and still have street cred? Not saying he doesn't have some points just pointing out he bellyflop already this election cycle.
He got Sanders badly wrong too. It doesn't make him wrong about everything. I don't agree with holding him up as some sort of infallible guru (something he has never claimed to be), but there are intermediate points between that and not listening to him at all. I thought it was a thorough analysis of the existing data, nothing more.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

[video][/video]
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Kristatos wrote:
Omega wrote: That guy got trump completely wrong from the start. How can he fail so badly and still have street cred? Not saying he doesn't have some points just pointing out he bellyflop already this election cycle.
He got Sanders badly wrong too. It doesn't make him wrong about everything. I don't agree with holding him up as some sort of infallible guru (something he has never claimed to be), but there are intermediate points between that and not listening to him at all. I thought it was a thorough analysis of the existing data, nothing more.
you're right.
He did have some interesting points, I'm tired of every day a new poll and somebody trying to predict what it means.
Interesting thing is early voting has started or starting. Maybe the poll could help predict what early voters are doing but so many poll it's seem over kill

bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

CNN’s Jake Tapper asked New Jersey Governor Chris Christie on State of the Union on Sunday morning about the supposed contrast between Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton in their responses to the explosions Saturday in New York, editing out Clinton’s reference to “bombings” to create a false distinction.
Tapper cited Trump referring to a “bomb” in New York, then played a clip of Clinton criticizing him for saying that — leaving out Clinton’s reference, seconds before, to what she called “bombings.”
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

They play it safe not wanting to insult the religion of peace, wile the resort of the world know what happened.

Last edited by Omega on Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Lol

bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Liberal rag TIME Magazine post debate poll reflects MOST, if not ALL, of the internet polls confirming the winner: Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump faced off at their first presidential debate Monday. Who do you think won?
Hillary Clinton
42 %
Donald Trump
58 %
399,546 Votes :cheers: :cheers: :martini: :martini: :martini: :martini: :martini: :martini: :happy spin: :happy spin: :happy spin:
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Holy crap he didn't melt down. Kept expecting him to go Brick Top from Snatch, " she's a lying c***!!"
He seemed reasonable. :shocked:

Hillary looked juiced to be alert.
Not a great debate for either really. He could have knocked her teeth out but didn't, not sure if that was wise or not.

The momentum is behind trump, I think this debate helps him. She didn't have a seizure and was alert and quick, so it's good for her in that way. Feels like momentum is behind trump still

bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

I'm surprised trump is getting so much out of that debate, he was not as good as he is at his rallies. But the democrats over demonized him before the debates. If there were no debates they might of got away with only painting him as evil. That's not what people saw when they listened to him so he won I guess

Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

These are just online instapolls, which are notoriously unreliable. I think it will be a few days before the effects of the debate show up in the "real" polls.