OHMSS

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
Veronica
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love,GoldenEye,The Spy Who Loved Me,Goldfinger,Dr.No
Favorite Movies: After the Sunset,The Devil Wears Prada,The Thomas Crown Affair,To Catch a Thief,Midnight in Paris,North by Northwest, Purple Noon, La piscine.

OHMSS

Post by Veronica »

I watched the movie just this afternoon and I have to say I don't see the reason why some hardcore fans are thrilled with the movie. It's not just about Lazenby. I never bought the romance between Tracy and Bond. They met then Draco got this plan in his head then Tracy found out about then Bond went to sooth her then we see in 30 seconds their romcom type of walking. The Tracy dissapears and the comes back in the same night he proposes to her. Also the whole Blofeld's plan...what was the whole thing with angels of death? for me the best thing is that instrumental theme song and that's the thing that waked me up from my semi-sleeping during this movie. Diana Rigg was good though and her father Draco was how Italians would say-simpatico. :D Lazenby's Bond just seemed out of place. He was like a ordinary chap that seemed to be thrown in the whole spy game. With the other four actors Lazenby is the odd one out. Dalton was convincing as a spy Moore was convincing as lover Connery and Brosnan did both. Lazenby didn't stuck me as either. He said the same sentence to two different women. Bond uses the same pick up line? Bond even has the pick up line? Also everything is just incredibly wrong for Bond to look at playboy with a goofy smile of a teenager.
The Saint 007
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me, A View To A Kill, Goldfinger, GoldenEye, For Your Eyes Only, Moonraker, Octopussy, Thunderball

Re: OHMSS

Post by The Saint 007 »

When I first watched On Her Majesty's Secret Service, I found it rather boring. Although I grew to like it a little more afterwards, it's still a Bond film that I don't watch as frequently as some of the others. However, the film has one of John Barry's finest scores, some cool skiing action, and I like Telly Savalas as Blofeld. Considering Lazenby had no acting experience, and had to replace the popular Sean Connery in a Bond film that had more emotional depth at the time, I think he gave a pretty good effort.
Veronica
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love,GoldenEye,The Spy Who Loved Me,Goldfinger,Dr.No
Favorite Movies: After the Sunset,The Devil Wears Prada,The Thomas Crown Affair,To Catch a Thief,Midnight in Paris,North by Northwest, Purple Noon, La piscine.

Post by Veronica »

The Saint 007 wrote:When I first watched On Her Majesty's Secret Service, I found it rather boring. Although I grew to like it a little more afterwards, it's still a Bond film that I don't watch as frequently as some of the others. However, the film has one of John Barry's finest scores, some cool skiing action, and I like Telly Savalas as Blofeld. Considering Lazenby had no acting experience, and had to replace the popular Sean Connery in a Bond film that had more emotional depth at the time, I think he gave a pretty good effort.
I presume that "The Spy Who Loved Me" is your favourite. :D
Barry Niven
Lieutenant

Post by Barry Niven »

You presume a lot, don't you, Veronica?
Veronica
Agent

Post by Veronica »

Barry Niven wrote:You presume a lot, don't you, Veronica?
I didn't mean anything bad by that if you think that way. I was just asking... since The Saint's favourite is Moore I just presumed that.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

I was around 11 when I first saw OHMSS, and I didn't like it at the time. For a start, the fact that Lazenby had played Bond came as a total shock to me. I knew Connery and Moore as the two Bonds and wondered why nobody told me about the other fella. It made me feel the way I did when I first saw CR: that although it was canonical, it didn't feel like a "proper" Bond film.

As an adult, I have grown to appreciate it more. It remains the most faithful to Fleming of all the Bond films. But I do feel that Lazenby's lack of formal dramatic training was a drag on the film, particularly in the final scene, where he is required to express real emotion. I think it would have worked so much better with Connery, possibly Dalton (though he was perhaps too young at the time) or even Moore.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Veronica
Agent

Post by Veronica »

Kristatos wrote:I was around 11 when I first saw OHMSS, and I didn't like it at the time. For a start, the fact that Lazenby had played Bond came as a total shock to me. I knew Connery and Moore as the two Bonds and wondered why nobody told me about the other fella. It made me feel the way I did when I first saw CR: that although it was canonical, it didn't feel like a "proper" Bond film.

As an adult, I have grown to appreciate it more. It remains the most faithful to Fleming of all the Bond films. But I do feel that Lazenby's lack of formal dramatic training was a drag on the film, particularly in the final scene, where he is required to express real emotion. I think it would have worked so much better with Connery, possibly Dalton (though he was perhaps too young at the time) or even Moore.
I was never of opinion that this would have been a better movie if Connery was in it. I don't that Connery's Bond would fit in this movie at all. Now Moore was good in the scenes were he gets serious when Triple X mentions Tracy. The expression,the tone it was great. :up: but again I don't think his Bond would fit in this movie. I personally would have loved to see young Dalton in OHMSS
The Saint 007
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me, A View To A Kill, Goldfinger, GoldenEye, For Your Eyes Only, Moonraker, Octopussy, Thunderball

Post by The Saint 007 »

Veronica wrote:I presume that "The Spy Who Loved Me" is your favourite. :D
It's kind of a tie between The Spy Who Loved Me and A View To A Kill. Both films feature various things like certain action scenes, music, and villains that are my most favourite in the series, and I just find them really fun to watch.
Veronica
Agent

Post by Veronica »

The Saint 007 wrote:
Veronica wrote:I presume that "The Spy Who Loved Me" is your favourite. :D
It's kind of a tie between The Spy Who Loved Me and A View To A Kill. Both films feature various things like certain action scenes, music, and villains that are my most favourite in the series, and I just find them really fun to watch.
Moore is fun-no doubt about that :up: When it comes to Moore films for me it's personally a tie between TSWLM and FYEO. Both are with no doubt (IMO) his best.
The Sweeney
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, GF, LTK, CR, FRWL
Favorite Movies: Bullitt, The Long Good Friday, The Towering Inferno, Jaws, Rocky, Superman the Movie, McVicar, Goodfellas, Get Carter, Three Days of the Condor, Butch & Sundance, The Sting, All the Presidents Men

Post by The Sweeney »

OHMSS is the best novel Fleming ever wrote, and one of the best films in the franchise because it follows the book so closely.
It ranks in my top 5.