Thunderball vs YOLT

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
Veronica
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love,GoldenEye,The Spy Who Loved Me,Goldfinger,Dr.No
Favorite Movies: After the Sunset,The Devil Wears Prada,The Thomas Crown Affair,To Catch a Thief,Midnight in Paris,North by Northwest, Purple Noon, La piscine.

Thunderball vs YOLT

Post by Veronica »

I'm curious,which on do you prefer?When it comes to "which Connery Bond movie is the best?" it's always a fight between between FRWL and Goldfinger.What about the next two movies that followed?
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Re: Thunderball vs YOLT

Post by Kristatos »

YOLT was the first Bond movie I saw, so it will always have a special place in my heart. Plus, Thunderball tried a little too hard to replicate Goldfinger's success, whereas YOLT actually moved the series on in terms of introducing a more epic scale.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Veronica
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love,GoldenEye,The Spy Who Loved Me,Goldfinger,Dr.No
Favorite Movies: After the Sunset,The Devil Wears Prada,The Thomas Crown Affair,To Catch a Thief,Midnight in Paris,North by Northwest, Purple Noon, La piscine.

Post by Veronica »

For me,it's Thuderball all the way.It has the best locales,incredible Bond girls,a theme song that is the most "Bond-like" in my opinion,great plot.You know,I might even prefer it to Goldfinger.Maybe because I think that the idea of Big Ben striking seven times at six o'clock i brilliant.Maybe because it's espionage under the sea..and Connery still cares about the role.For me,it seemed like he was sleepwalking through YOLT.It feels to me that YOLT is the first truly campy and silly movie of Bond franchise.Spaceships eating other spaceships.I'm not saying the movie is bad it just doesn't measure up to first four Connery movies IMO.
ml94
Single O
Favorite Bond Movie: GOLDFINGER, FOR YOUR EYES ONLY, THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS, GOLDENEYE.
Favorite Movies: T2 & THE DARK KNIGHT.

Post by ml94 »

THUNDERBALL.
Barry Niven
Lieutenant

Post by Barry Niven »

Difficult to say. The cons of TB is that it moves too slowly and takes forever to get to where it's going, and I can't stand that drippy Domino whose BIG Moment of spearing Largo in the back is somehow meant to *atone* for her overall useless, clueless, helpless, accident-prone idiocy (it doesn't). But the pros are MVP John Barry's impressive music that actually makes the underwater slow-motion bearable, the pre-credits sequence with the jetpack that really doesn't make any sense but is always SuperCOOL to witness, and Lucianna Paluzzi the Foxy Red-Haired Italian MILF* as Fiona Volpe. Rowwwlllll.

That said, YOLT has the edge because it moves faster overall, has Ken Adams' fearsome Volcano Set, Donald Pleasence's hysterically creepy Blofeld, an even better Barry score, and NINJAS! But... slows down badly with the Fake Wedding scene, the busty German Helga Brandt being a dull carbon copy of Fiona (plus, Karin Dor's not an actual redhead), and Connery looking lame in his Japanese Fisherman disguise. Still both movies are better than Diamonds Are Forever, and that's a good thing. Amirite?

* - Really, she was. I checked on IMDB. How awesome was that?
ml94
Single O
Favorite Bond Movie: GOLDFINGER, FOR YOUR EYES ONLY, THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS, GOLDENEYE.

Post by ml94 »

Barry Niven wrote:Difficult to say. The cons of TB is that it moves too slowly and takes forever to get to where it's going, and I can't stand that drippy Domino whose BIG Moment of spearing Largo in the back is somehow meant to *atone* for her overall useless, clueless, helpless, accident-prone idiocy (it doesn't). But the pros are MVP John Barry's impressive music that actually makes the underwater slow-motion bearable, the pre-credits sequence with the jetpack that really doesn't make any sense but is always SuperCOOL to witness, and Lucianna Paluzzi the Foxy Red-Haired Italian MILF* as Fiona Volpe. Rowwwlllll.

That said, YOLT has the edge because it moves faster overall, has Ken Adams' fearsome Volcano Set, Donald Pleasence's hysterically creepy Blofeld, an even better Barry score, and NINJAS! But... slows down badly with the Fake Wedding scene, the busty German Helga Brandt being a dull carbon copy of Fiona (plus, Karin Dor's not an actual redhead), and Connery looking lame in his Japanese Fisherman disguise. Still both movies are better than Diamonds Are Forever, and that's a good thing. Amirite?

* - Really, she was. I checked on IMDB. How awesome was that?
Yeah, DAF is :down: :down:
Count_Lippe
Agent

Post by Count_Lippe »

TB is often criticized for being too slow, but the story moves along nicely, it's the underwater scenes that could be considered slow perhaps. It's a matter of taste I guess, I like the underwater stuff in TB a lot.

And to me the Bond formula was established in GF but refined in TB. I think TB is a perfect mixture of the early Terence Young Bonds mood and atmosphere, and the more spectacular elements beginning with GF.

TB was also the first Bond movie shot in cinemascope and the locations are much more lavish than GF, so TB does have a more epic scale than GF after all.

YOLT is of course even more lavish and spectacular, but also a bit over the top and too comic book like.

In a way TB was the last of the truly classic 60s Bonds, YOLT was a bit too much of everything and OHMSS introduced a new 007 and a somewhat different feel.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Count_Lippe wrote: YOLT is of course even more lavish and spectacular, but also a bit over the top and too comic book like.
Not an argument likely to impress a comic book publisher Image
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Veronica
Agent

Post by Veronica »

Count_Lippe wrote:TB is often criticized for being too slow, but the story moves along nicely, it's the underwater scenes that could be considered slow perhaps. It's a matter of taste I guess, I like the underwater stuff in TB a lot.

And to me the Bond formula was established in GF but refined in TB. I think TB is a perfect mixture of the early Terence Young Bonds mood and atmosphere, and the more spectacular elements beginning with GF.

TB was also the first Bond movie shot in cinemascope and the locations are much more lavish than GF, so TB does have a more epic scale than GF after all.

YOLT is of course even more lavish and spectacular, but also a bit over the top and too comic book like.

In a way TB was the last of the truly classic 60s Bonds, YOLT was a bit too much of everything and OHMSS introduced a new 007 and a somewhat different feel.
Agreed. :up:
Veronica
Agent

Post by Veronica »

It'a no brainer that both of this movies are margually better than DAF
ml94
Single O

Post by ml94 »

Veronica wrote:It'a no brainer that both of this movies are margually better than DAF
THUNDERBALL :up: ... YOLT :down:
Veronica
Agent

Post by Veronica »

ml94 wrote:
Veronica wrote:It'a no brainer that both of this movies are margually better than DAF
THUNDERBALL :up: ... YOLT :down:
I don't think that YOLT is :down: although I watched the movie only once because I was dissapointed.. basically Bond seems like he's doing nothing for the whole movie the plot is mendering for quite a while add Connery's uninspired performance... and the climax in the volcano just put me to sleep although the ending in Thunderball did that as well... so for me Thunderball is obviously superior although nowhere near the best of the best-"From Russia With Love"
Count_Lippe
Agent

Post by Count_Lippe »

YOLT was very much influenced by the 1960s space race which is very cool actually, but the film's plot became a little too unrealistic. But seeing James Bond as an astronaut in this film must have been very fashionable at the time.

Even Dr No was influenced by the 60s space race, with Spectre toppling American space rockets from Crab Key. In Fleming's book it was just nuclear missile tests which were sabotaged. In 1962 the space theme probably seemed more exciting for the filmmakers.

The space race began in 1957 when the Soviet Union launched the satellite Sputnik 1, and shortly thereafter Sputnik 2 with the dog Laika. Other projects followed, Soviet cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin was the first man in space when he orbited earth in 1961 with his Vostok capsule, astronaut Alan Shepard was the first American in space with the Mercury rocket later the same year.

The American Mercury project was followed by the two man Gemini rockets, and then the Apollo project which eventually landed on the moon in 1969. In YOLT the American space capsules are called Jupiter if you remember.

Anyway I don't agree that Connery sleepwalks in YOLT which many people have complained about, I think he does a solid performance even in this film. He does look a bit heavier though but not as bad as in DAF.

YOLT is an extremely spectacular Bond film and is probably the most visually impressive of all the Bonds. Raymond Benson in his book The James Bond Bedside Companion said that YOLT is not a James Bond film but a spy-adventure-cum-science-fiction-extravaganza.
Count_Lippe
Agent

Post by Count_Lippe »

Space dog Laika

Yuri Gagarin

Alan Shepard

American astronauts of the Mercury project

Count_Lippe
Agent

Post by Count_Lippe »

Sadly space dog Laika died in space.
[video][/video]

In 1963 female cosmonaut Valentina Tereshkova became the first woman in space.
[video][/video]

There were also space pop music during the space race era.
[video][/video]
Veronica
Agent

Post by Veronica »

Some people even said how Connery seems bored in Thunderball..the others say how it's his best performance...just as some say the movie is overrated the others say it's underrated because of Goldfinger... people obviously have different opiinions on this one.
ml94
Single O

Post by ml94 »

Veronica wrote:Some people even said how Connery seems bored in Thunderball..the others say how it's his best performance...just as some say the movie is overrated the others say it's underrated because of Goldfinger... people obviously have different opiinions on this one.
Goldfinger is Connerys best, Thunderball is not bad either. :007:
Veronica
Agent

Post by Veronica »

ml94 wrote:
Veronica wrote:Some people even said how Connery seems bored in Thunderball..the others say how it's his best performance...just as some say the movie is overrated the others say it's underrated because of Goldfinger... people obviously have different opiinions on this one.
I see "From Russia with Love" not only as his best film but the best of the series. Now between Goldfinger and Thunderball... well I guess Goldfinger because the final act of the latter puts you to sleep.
ml94
Single O

Post by ml94 »

Veronica wrote:
ml94 wrote:
I see "From Russia with Love" not only as his best film but the best of the series. Now between Goldfinger and Thunderball... well I guess Goldfinger because the final act of the latter puts you to sleep.
Yeah.
Veronica
Agent

Post by Veronica »

And I have to say this,God forgive me,but I was never that impressed with Goldfinger. I can see why people call it the best. It introduced many aspects we've come to instantly inspect in a Bond movie...so many iconic scenes as well. I mean who doesn't know about the golden painted girl?The laser scene.. but the one thing that always confused me is why Goldfinger wants to radiate the gold in Fort Knox? First he tells how he admired gold all his life to its color etc... but his plan is to actually radiate the other gold so he could sell his. If he loves gold so much why sell it? He's already richer than God...