LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Re: Dirty Benny's Weekly Rant

Post by Omega »

I was thinking babs is like George Lucas adopted daughters being give control of Star Wars. No way in hell they could make the force awakens or rouge one. So we stuck with a soiled daughter making bond when there is somebody out there more competent to do it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
............ :007:
Veronica
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love,GoldenEye,The Spy Who Loved Me,Goldfinger,Dr.No
Favorite Movies: After the Sunset,The Devil Wears Prada,The Thomas Crown Affair,To Catch a Thief,Midnight in Paris,North by Northwest, Purple Noon, La piscine.

Post by Veronica »

Barbara doesn't want to do Bond films that much is clear.
Instead,she is using Bond to make "complexed" movies that explore the character...whatever.Her goal is to put these rebooted films up there with Godfather and Citizen Kane but she's never going to achieve that. A couple of 5 star reviews from paid newspapers won't put these movies up there with the Godfather series.
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Veronica wrote:Her goal is to put these rebooted films up there with Godfather and Citizen Kane but she's never going to achieve that.
Why else would she hire Oscar winners/nominees or those with Oscar potential?
Veronica
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love,GoldenEye,The Spy Who Loved Me,Goldfinger,Dr.No
Favorite Movies: After the Sunset,The Devil Wears Prada,The Thomas Crown Affair,To Catch a Thief,Midnight in Paris,North by Northwest, Purple Noon, La piscine.

Post by Veronica »

FormerBondFan wrote:
Veronica wrote:Her goal is to put these rebooted films up there with Godfather and Citizen Kane but she's never going to achieve that.
Why else would she hire Oscar winners/nominees or those with Oscar potential?
She hired acclaimed directors before Maestro Mendes and Forster. Apted is an acclaimed drama director and Tamahori won an Oscar.
The problem is,she doesn't how to use a Bond formula.
That's why when she reached dead end with DAD she just smashed the wall in front of her instead of going back and trying to find a way out.

It's easier for her to copy everything that is
popular at the moment,throw some shallow (and boring) "character exploration" and sell it as a true vision of how Fleming wrote the character.
dirtybenny
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love and all the Connery films
Favorite Movies: Dirty Harry, Bullitt, The Sting, LA Confidential, The Maltese Falcon, and The Big Sleep

Post by dirtybenny »

I've been working on a larger rant than usual which is why I haven't posted one in a few weeks so I thought I'd post a mini one especially as the subject is topical and aggravating.

On the general discussion thread I posted this in regards to a video advocating for a non traditional Bond i.e. minority or female:

"I've never understood all this noise people keep making about Bond HAVING to be X, Y or Z. Why MUST he be black, female, or a cocker spaniel?At least with race there is some sort of argument, it's grounded in some sort of reality, but female? Maybe I'm cruising the wrong parts of the internet but I don't see any calls for a female Batman or Ironman so why is Bond any different?

That's why right here and now I am officially demanding there be a male Wonder Woman, I mean it is the 21st century after all!"

In the few days since, the call has gone out in force for a female Bond by the social justice warriors, here is why that is ridiculous:

First, the what: it's been tried before, remember "Salt"? No, I didn't think so, don't feel bad neither does anyone else. To refresh your memory this film was the Bourne Identity sans memory loss and penis. This movie had a lot going for it at least on paper, it was riding the crest of the Bourne wave, and starred Angelina Jolie at the peak of her popularity, yet nobody cared about a woman Bourne, which is why that film landed with an audible thud upon the slag heap of history while the Bourne franchise is now on it's 5th film.

Next the who: These great thinkers of social justice casting are pushing for Gillian Anderson to take the mantle of "female Bond". At 48 years old Anderson would be 50 by the time she were to make her debut, and as gorgeous though she is she plays a bit older than her years, sort of the opposite of how Rodger Moore looks younger than his age, so Anderson will appear at least 55. As i mentioned above Salt featured a youthful 35 year old Angelina Jolie and audiences didn't buy it, also many who said Brosnan had to go because he had become too old at 52, yet we're supposed to buy that a creaky female pensioner will be "kicking ass and taking names" as Bond!

Finally female Bond would not be Bond at all. When you go from James Bond to Jane Bond, changing the character's name and sex it ceases to be the same person! You can give her all of the background, backstory, and character attributes but it's not the same. For instance will "Jane" be saving men from danger, "Mansels in distress"? That may appeal to feminists but not much else. So will she be a lesbian? In which case why bother? As all you're doing is removing the character's penis and not much else.

The sad thing is all these social justice warriors who are screaming for the move to "Jane Bond", none of them would be going to see this film, just as they won't be seeing a traditional Bond, because it's just not their bag.
The Rouge Warrior, On Hermaphrodite's Secret Service Image
Veronica
Agent

Post by Veronica »

Once again I agree with you Benny! Those social justice warriors hate Bond probably because they see him as a martini drinking manwhore. Well,it's time for them to face one thing. Bond is one of the most iconic characters in history precisely because he is a charming womanizer who likes his martinis shaken,not stirred. He is suave,elegant,has style and turned a lesbian on.

He is impossible to dislike because he has a charisma that just has to be admired. And turning him into a woman would just be another insult to Ian's creation. And like you said,even if Bond became a woman those people wouldn't go to see the movie anyway because in their opinion Bond is simply beneath them. And it would still be even if James turned into Jane.
Here's to James Bond,a manly man who seduces women,drinks martinis and saves the world while being impeccably dressed! :martini: :martini: :martini:
dirtybenny
Favorite Movies: Dirty Harry, Bullitt, The Sting, LA Confidential, The Maltese Falcon, and The Big Sleep

Post by dirtybenny »

Veronica wrote:Here's to James Bond,a manly man who seduces women,drinks martinis and saves the world while being impeccably dressed! :martini: :martini: :martini:

Here, here V, I just went and made myself a medium dry vodka martini shaken not stirred, so I could join you! :martini: :martini: :martini:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Doesn't specifically mention Bond, but....http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/05/30/fandom-is-broken
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
The Saint 007
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me, A View To A Kill, Goldfinger, GoldenEye, For Your Eyes Only, Moonraker, Octopussy, Thunderball

Post by The Saint 007 »

With so many people now being brainwashed about how there's no differences in the genders/races and all sorts of other garbage, it's no wonder why you see these kinds of suggestions being made.

I saw a discussion about this topic the other day on the Absolutely James Bond forum, and someone was saying how they can't understand why to this day people still bash Roger Moore for being too old in A View To A Kill, but then suggest such radical choices for potential Bond candidates. A slightly over-aged Moore might have been outrageous for some in 1985, but it will be nothing compared to what could possibly happen in the future should this series go along with the politically correct agenda.

For all the praise I've heard of Craig being "Fleming's Bond", some people seem to be open to changes that wouldn't be very Fleming-esque. Make your minds up! I know the excuse will be that the Moore and Brosnan eras weren't that close to Fleming's Bond, so changes to race or gender shouldn't be a problem. First off, I think there's a bigger difference between suitable actors that played the part with a slightly more humorous tone than wild choices of actors or actresses that would alter the character beyond recognition. Second, not everything from the books translates well to film. By making certain changes in order to capture a wider audience, while still keeping some qualities from the books is key. If there's too many drastic changes, however, it won't be James Bond anymore.

For the life of me, I can't understand why some people think that casting women, blacks, etc, in what is most of the time inferior remakes of classics is somehow empowering. Take the new Ghostbusters film, for example. Yes, while there are some idiots on the Internet that make nasty sexist comments, I've seen constructive criticisms from both men and women about how the film just looks to be a poor/unnecessary remake of the original rather than a proper sequel. And the concept of female Ghostbusters isn't anything new, since it was done in the cartoon series before. It's just being poorly executed in this case. But if the film bombs, which it probably will, the blame will be put on sexism rather than the poor quality, very much how the Bond formula is always the problem and not the filmmakers whenever things don't work out.

I'm so sick of remakes, reboots, and gender/ethnicity swapping of popular characters to make a statement. Stop lazily using successful long-running franchises for your experiments and just create something new. It won't be easy, but if you put in a good effort, you never know, it just may work out for you.
Veronica
Agent

Post by Veronica »

People who swear how Craig is true to Fleming's vision are just repeating EON's mantra like parrots. Both Moore and Brosnan had some very Fleming-esque moments.
I think in general "feel" of the books is difficult to translate to the big screen.
And all this garbage about Bond beng female or black shows two things. First,EON once again is out of ideas When they were without any fresh idea back in 2000's they casted an actor that is completely and utterly wrong for the part. They started with their "character driven" bulls**t and presented "mighty" Putin look-alike as the best thing that ever happened to the franchise.

Second,the whole PC thing is really getting out lf control.
If you want a black spy or female spy then just make up a whole new character instead of changing absolutely everything about one of the most iconic characters in movie history. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH RACISM OR SEXISM!
Count_Lippe
Agent

Post by Count_Lippe »

Veronica wrote:IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH RACISM OR SEXISM!
James Bond is a white heterosexual male, a symbol of the old world if you like.

And today his mere existence is racist and sexist and he must be eradicated.
dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

I posted this in the general discussion thread where I'm sure you all read it, but since the conversation seems to have moved here I thought I'd repost for continuity.

As I've said before I'm not totally against a Bond of a "non white" race, if it were done the right way. (A tall order considering who's running EON) However I can absolutely see why so many are against it, and no it's not racism, quite the opposite in fact. What the social justice warriors of the world, most of whom stem from the U.S. forget is there is such a thing as "white culture". There are counties in this world where white people are indigenous (i.e. Britain) and they have their own cultures and heritage, of which Bond is a part of. Much has been made recently regarding "cultural appropriation" that is where one race practices customs of another race, it is depicted as an evil practice perpetrated by nasty people who want to destroy cultures by taking yoga classes and eating food other than hamburgers, and yet here we have the very same forward thinkers who denounce it, promoting it by pushing for a cultural icon to be made in to something it's not by members of another culture. I understand how folks want other races/sexual preferences to be "represented" in entertainment, but do they need to be represented at all times in all things?

I'd like to further state that I agree with you all 100% on the lazy film making that goes along with this social experimentation, it seems all one needs to do is slap a different skin tone or genitalia upon a character and boom, look what I've done how avant garde, I'm such a progressive thinker, when in fact it's quite the opposite, someone's skin tone or sex should not be what defines them and to applaud and ballyhoo nothing more than that change is rather demeaning.
dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

Kristatos wrote:Doesn't specifically mention Bond, but....http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/05/30/fandom-is-broken

I've been giving this article some thought today and while it makes some very good points, it sits atop a rather slippery slope. Obviously those who would contact the production companies directly and make threats veiled or otherwise are definitely in need of mental counseling. Also the social justice warriors whom we've been discussing who want their entertainment served up exactly to their liking are in need of help too. But where this article begins to slide is in the inference that one can not be disappointed in a piece of entertainment. Now it does not say that specifically, but it does not take any great stretch of the imagination to see it. I mean we fit squarely in that category, we belong to an entire forum dedicated to our dislike of the direction Bond has taken, do we send death threats? Of course not, we are happy to simply sit in our own little corner of the internet and discuss, but this article would have us believe that we have gone too far. At what point does honest dislike end and "childish fan entitlement" begin? I mean his example of fans getting out raged over the fact that the comic version of Captain America turns out to be an enemy agent seems rather reasonable, not the death threats of course. I mean if you're going to take that big of a chance and jump that big of a shark you have to be prepared for some push back.
dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

Was doing a bit of research for my next rant and came upon THIS, it makes an interesting argument.
Veronica
Agent

Post by Veronica »

Great point about audience's perception of what makes an "intelligent" film. Audience can be so easily fooled,you just throw out some action and humor and it's immediately more "realistic" and therefore more intelligent and better! HA! Good one.
Also,the last bit about this reboot being a weak,drunken shadow of pre-reboot part of the series couldn't be more true!
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

dirtybenny wrote:Was doing a bit of research for my next rant and came upon THIS, it makes an interesting argument.
I think the puritanical streak in Hollywood has largely come about as a result of greater reliance on markets like India and China, which have much stricter standards when it comes to sex and nudity. Meanwhile, on TV, where they presumably don't have to worry so much about those markets, you have stuff like Game of Thrones.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

Kristatos wrote:
dirtybenny wrote:Was doing a bit of research for my next rant and came upon THIS, it makes an interesting argument.
I think the puritanical streak in Hollywood has largely come about as a result of greater reliance on markets like India and China, which have much stricter standards when it comes to sex and nudity. Meanwhile, on TV, where they presumably don't have to worry so much about those markets, you have stuff like Game of Thrones.
I'd say you're on to something there Kris, although I still say Babz' PC streak plays at least some small role as well.
Veronica
Agent

Post by Veronica »

Count_Lippe wrote:
Veronica wrote:IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH RACISM OR SEXISM!
James Bond is a white heterosexual male, a symbol of the old world if you like.

And today his mere existence is racist and sexist and he must be eradicated.
I think the whole thing is just laughable. Example;this years Oscars. Do you really think that some African-American woman who works from 9-5 and has real-life struggles cares about who wins in "best picture" category? It's absurd.
dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

Hey Gang exciting news! No Craig has not officially stepped down, at least not yet. My rants made the front page!

The front page of DCinB.com that is! I was honored with an invite to post my rants there and have started doing so, rant #1 has been posted. For my regular readers they will be very familiar, as I am just reworking my originals for a larger audience, but it should be fun to revisit some old topics. Don't worry this thread isn't going to die. I'll still post new first run rants here to give you all first dips and fresh topics. So please join me up front and keep the conversation going for all to see!

:007: :cheers:
Veronica
Agent

Post by Veronica »

If you were invited there to post your rants, does that mean they are waking up from their "Daniel Craig is the best" dream?