Dirty Benny's Weekly Rant

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
dirtybenny
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love and all the Connery films
Favorite Movies: Dirty Harry, Bullitt, The Sting, LA Confidential, The Maltese Falcon, and The Big Sleep

Re: Dirty Benny's Weekly Rant

Post by dirtybenny »

Kristatos wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:56 pm Fair enough. I think the problem is that this probably wasn't done deliberately by the filmmakers the way it was in Se7en, so that must have made the task of fitting the film to the theme that much harder.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
Very true Kris, I doubt this was at all intentional, just something I noticed when watching the film.
The Rouge Warrior, On Hermaphrodite's Secret Service Image
dirtybenny
Favorite Movies: Dirty Harry, Bullitt, The Sting, LA Confidential, The Maltese Falcon, and The Big Sleep

Post by dirtybenny »

New rant, as always would love to hear what you all think:

http://danielcraigisnotbond.com/index/b ... ous-comic/
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

dirtybenny wrote:New rant, as always would love to hear what you all think:

Hmm...I'd never heard of this comic, and I'd say it's probably best to let sleeping dogs lie. I have read a few of the Dynamite Bond comics, but not this particular one.

And so you know, Comicsgate is a label attached to some seriously nasty individuals, with a reputation for harassing female comic creators, including sexual harassment.

"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

Kristatos wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 6:56 pm
dirtybenny wrote:New rant, as always would love to hear what you all think:

Hmm...I'd never heard of this comic, and I'd say it's probably best to let sleeping dogs lie. I have read a few of the Dynamite Bond comics, but not this particular one.

And so you know, Comicsgate is a label attached to some seriously nasty individuals, with a reputation for harassing female comic creators, including sexual harassment.

Thanks for the the input Kris, what was it Raoul, Bond's Cuban contact in DAD said? "One man's terrorist, is another man's freedom fighter." In all seriousness I obviously don't condone harassment or threats and if that's what they're doing to hell with them. My only purpose mentioning the group is to point out MI6's hypocrisy in coverage of the two articles.
dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

New rant addressing the John Logan open letter concerning the Amazon MGM purchase.

http://danielcraigisnotbond.com/index/b ... -big-deal/

Let me know what you think here or the comments section of the rant!
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

I've only had a chance to skim-read it so far, but it seems fine to me, though I do think you fling around the word "Marxist" a little too freely. It's like the overuse of the word "fascist", except that fascism is notoriously tricky to define, whereas Marxism specifically refers to the thought of a single individual.
dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

Kristatos wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:11 pm I've only had a chance to skim-read it so far, but it seems fine to me, though I do think you fling around the word "Marxist" a little too freely. It's like the overuse of the word "fascist", except that fascism is notoriously tricky to define, whereas Marxism specifically refers to the thought of a single individual.
Thanks for the input Kris, as always I value your opinion! It seems your the only one willing to take the time to give me notes which I appreciate a great deal. Personally I think the term fits in context, but I'd be curious to hear your thoughts after you've had a chance to give it a deeper read and chew it over a bit.
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

Good stuff DB, always exploring the deficiencies of Broccoli's creation with evidentiary proof.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

dirtybenny wrote:
Thanks for the input Kris, as always I value your opinion! It seems your the only one willing to take the time to give me notes which I appreciate a great deal. Personally I think the term fits in context, but I'd be curious to hear your thoughts after you've had a chance to give it a deeper read and chew it over a bit.
I've had another read, and I don't really have much else to add to your very thorough takedown of the article. I thought you were a bit hard on Hugo - far from being instantly forgotten, I know several people who still love it. And didn't it win an Oscar? And as for your comment about the mini-bio at the beginning, it's standard practice to ask authors for a one-paragraph bio, written in the third person. A little unusual to place it at the top of the article, though, it usually comes at the end.

Other than that, Image

dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

bjmdds wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:33 am Good stuff DB, always exploring the deficiencies of Broccoli's creation with evidentiary proof.

Thanks BJ, glad you enjoyed it!
dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

Kristatos wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:28 am
dirtybenny wrote:
I've had another read, and I don't really have much else to add to your very thorough takedown of the article. I thought you were a bit hard on Hugo - far from being instantly forgotten, I know several people who still love it. And didn't it win an Oscar? And as for your comment about the mini-bio at the beginning, it's standard practice to ask authors for a one-paragraph bio, written in the third person. A little unusual to place it at the top of the article, though, it usually comes at the end.

Other than that, Image

Thanks again Kris I really appreciate it!
dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

dirtybenny wrote:New rant, always enjoy feed back!

http://danielcraigisnotbond.com/index/b ... ings-bond/
I quite agree, though I thought AJB was an anti-Craig forum. I haven't been there in years, though.

I was surprised that the commenter hadn't come across "they should remake all the previous Bond films with Craig to remove the taint of Bond being played by actors other than The Chosen One (PBUH)" before. They were all the rage in 2007ish. And making Bond films as period pieces is one of those ideas that remains perennially popular with a certain section of the fanbase. I don't know how much it correlates with belief in the Bond codename theory, but there does seem to be a common theme of being unable to accept the convention of a hero remaining roughly the same age for decades (common enough in 20th century adventure fiction - Biggles somehow flew in both World War 1 and the Vietnam War.)

Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

I quite agree, though I thought AJB was an anti-Craig forum. I haven't been there in years, though.

I was surprised that the commenter hadn't come across "they should remake all the previous Bond films with Craig to remove the taint of Bond being played by actors other than The Chosen One (PBUH) before. They were all the rage in 2007ish. And making Bond films as period pieces is one of those ideas that remains perennially popular with a certain section of the fanbase. I don't know how much it correlates with belief in the Bond codename theory, but there does seem to be a common theme of being unable to accept the convention of a hero remaining roughly the same age for decades (common enough in 20th century adventure fiction - Biggles somehow flew in both World War 1 and the Vietnam War.)

dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

Kristatos wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:03 am

You're right Kris, don't know why I included them there, I must have been thinking of another forum but my brain substituted that forum for the other.
dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

You're right Kris, don't know why I included them there, I must have been thinking of another forum but my brain substituted that forum for the other.
dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

Something wrong with the server, causing multiple posts!
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

dirtybenny wrote:Something wrong with the server, causing multiple posts!
Are you posting from Tapatalk? I think it might be a bug in the app. I am deleting duplicate posts where I can, but it doesn't always let me.

dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

Kristatos wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:16 am
dirtybenny wrote:Something wrong with the server, causing multiple posts!
Are you posting from Tapatalk? I think it might be a bug in the app. I am deleting duplicate posts where I can, but it doesn't always let me.

No, posting from my laptop, I keep getting error messages saying the server is busy so I'll refresh until I'm allowed back on.