Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Re: Sean Connery 1971 BBC interview

Post by Dr. No »

Great interview! Incredibly honest on Connery's part. Thanks for posting it!

Points of interest- he says OHMSS was not successful which is probably what everybody involved believed at the time.
- talks about making a two picture deal with UA for none Bond films which I don't think were made.
- talks about not being a pawn in the series IMO shows everything about how he felt during his time making the first 5 films.
-Interesting body language when he was asked about making the remaining 5 books into movies, would love for a expert to tell us what the subtle signs were saying. He also immediately jumped into what moneys means to him and he'd rather do other things.
- only read Thunderball, Live and Let Die, and From Russia with Love.
- honest about his the success of his films outside of Bond and was proud of the upcoming Anderson Tapes which I don't remember much about. He also seem to be very proud of getting that premier in Scotland IMO if the interview had asked him about that the interview would be twice as long.

I can't imagine any actor since him being as honest while still having the role. Thanks!
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
commander0077again
Commander
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS YOLT GOLDFINGER LALD FYEO GOLDENEYE
Favorite Movies: OUR MAN FLINT THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD/ERROL FLYNN CASABLANCA ZORRO FILMS / TV SHOW

Post by commander0077again »

Connery's accent here is identical with his Bond. In his later years, I've never received an explanation why his accent changed so much: "Of cosh, my name's Bohn, Jammshs...." did he fall into a pit full of 'Hs'? Someone said it was dentures; I think that's stretching it. I suppose that could be the case with a second rate dentist, but surely he could afford the best. Did he simply consciously change his accent? Or did he change his real accent to a Bond-accent?

Alshew, I notice that in Connery's eyebrows are (as in DAF) unshaved, which goes a lot to changing his appearance. I suppose that his contract stated "Shtay away from the eyebrowsh!"

PPS PPK: that reminds me -- I was visiting a hospital one day (in California) and was introduced to a Scottish doctor. He sounded just like the older Connery, and of course I had to hold my breath from keeping from splitting my sides. :cake:

PPK PPS: that reminds me of another unrelated story: my Italian 'aunt' (not my real aunt) had a wonderful husband who was a rather famous MD and researcher, from Scotland. So she split her sides when she related a story where he addressed a group of Italian doctors, and he tried to speak a little Italian with a thick Scots accent. She was in the back of the room and like Commander 0077 had to hold her breath from splitting her sides. The Italian MDs were very nice about it, as you would imagine. (A very nice guy, btw, although I met her after he had passed on. He would render his services free of charge for patients who couldn't pay. You don't hear of class like that much nowadays.)
You move very well for a dead man, Mister Bond

Kill him!
Kill Bond! Now!!!
Jim
Lieutenant
Favorite Bond Movie: Live and Let Die; The Man with the Golden Gun; On Her Majesty's Secret Service; the Spy Who Loved Me; Dr. No.
Favorite Movies: The Omega Man; Shane; in the Heat of the Night; The Pawnbroker; Solaris (1972); Walkabout; Serpico; Once Upon a Time in the West...

Post by Jim »

A pity it seems to be so predominantly about the money for Connery at that stage. I don't blame him of course, life's life. But he seems so completely disinterested in the character at that stage, avoiding the question about how he feels about Bond as a character. He's got way past all that, he says. So, that'd be bored shitless, then, Sean? A pity. But perhaps there were too many other factors to contend with at the time as well.
Just ease back now, Jim. Relaaax. Mr. Big wants to see you.