‘GoldenEye 007 Reloaded’ headed to Xbox 360 and PS3?

A place to discuss the latest in Bond News.
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

‘GoldenEye 007 Reloaded’ headed to Xbox 360 and PS3?

Post by Blowfeld »

Why not bring back the original!?!
Activision has registered several domain names that hint at a potential GoldenEye 007 Reloaded game, likely for the Xbox and PS3. To decipher why, we go over the history of the GoldenEye license.

The remake of GoldenEye 007 may be getting a revamp and relaunch on the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, if a new round of speculation is to be believed. Yesterday, Twitter user Superannuation discovered that Activision has registered several new domain names that hint at an upcoming “GoldeneEye 007 Reloaded” game.

goldeneye007gamereloaded.com
goldeneyereloadedgame.com
goldeneyereloaded007.com
goldeneye007reloaded.com

These domains are all we have to go on, but many sites and blogs are speculating that the Wii remake of GoldenEye 007 is going to be upgraded visually and ported to the PS3 and Xbox 360. Labeled a Wii Exclusive, the Wii remake of the Nintendo 64 classic came out last November (our review). The game had a completely remade story campaign, with Daniel Craig replacing Pierce Brosnan as James Bond and modern mission maps and objectives. The multiplayer was different as well, relying on Wii controls or dual-control sticks, a complete change from the original.

You may wonder why the remake was released for Wii instead of the other consoles in the first place. This is due to the complicated nature of GoldenEye’s origins. The original Nintendo 64 game, which made the Bond series a hit, was published by Nintendo and developed by then 2nd Party Nintendo developer Rareware. However, after GoldenEye’s success in 1997, Activision bought the James Bond license and began pumping out some good (and very bad) Bond games on a yearly basis. Then in 2002, Nintendo sold its 49 percent stake in Rare to Microsoft, which still owns the developer today.

For many years fans demanded a remake or re-release of GoldenEye, but it was held back because Rareware owned the code to the game, Nintendo owned the rights to publish “GoldenEye 007,” and Activision owned the Bond license. Finally, the parties worked out a deal to bring the series back to life, but none of the Rare-created levels or missions could be used. We also surmise that the license to use Pierce Brosnan’s likeness (or any one else in the 1995 film) had expired. Thus, Activision recast the entire game and remade it from scratch as a fun, though completely different, James Bond game. However, now we are wondering if the deal Nintendo and Activision worked out was only for a limited exclusivity on the new game. Perhaps Activision had to give the Wii a one-year exclusive on the game. This makes sense, as the team has probably spent the last year tweaking controls, upgrading graphics, and polishing the game for its Reloaded debut on the Xbox and PS3.

This news is nice, but what we’d really like is for Microsoft, Activision, and Nintendo to strike a deal to port the original GoldenEye to the Wii Virtual Console and Xbox Live. Come on, guys.
This Story Can Be found here
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Re: ‘GoldenEye 007 Reloaded’ headed to Xbox 360 and PS3?

Post by Omega »

To me this means the original GE with Pierce will be on Xbox and PS3. Reloaded normally means the original hit is ported and improve it for the new HD systems.

It wouldn't make much of sense to call GE with Craig a reload since it is a new game, even if they are upping it to HD.

I'd say it will be the first GE that was the hit and not the remake will be reloaded for XBOX but then this is Eon who love Craig unless his recent marriage has changed anything they will probably insist on a sullen postman as Bond.

Which sucks cause everybody was waiting for a true GE port. I posted the numbers before the forum crashed but GE Craig didn't sell as much as the Rogue Agent GE.
............ :007:
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

I hope you are right not because I am a pierce fan I love the GE game and the remake is appalling to me.
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

I have never heard of a reloaded game being a anything but an old port
Mutant Storm Reloaded

Available on the Xbox 360 Live Arcade service, this is a radically re-engineered version of the original Mutant Storm.
Reloaded, evolved, enchaced are normally used for an old port improved to run on a HD system.

Except this is Activision & eon, Rare own the original and they and Xbox have tired to port it for years. If the call it reloaded with Craig I'd be surprised especially because the Wii version will not be all that DLC friendly
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Another story but it explains the owner ship problem.
http://nexus404.com/Blog/2011/06/30/gol ... -consoles/GoldenEye 007 Coming To Xbox 360 & PlayStation 3?
GoldenEye 007 was an amazing first person shooter for the Nintendo 64. I won’t say that it proved that first person shooters could be good on the consoles (Halo did that), but it was a good first step. Some fans have been clamoring for a remake of the game, and last year we saw the Wii get a remake. Now, Activision has just registered a slew of new GoldenEye related domain names – leading to speculation that the company is preparing to come out with another GoldenEye game, perhaps even for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

GoldenEye 007 Logo

Here are the domains registered:

goldeneyereloaded007.com
goldeneye007reloaded.com
goldeneye007gamereloaded.com
goldeneyereloadedgame.com

The theme here is “GoldenEye: Reloaded” obviously. Whatever that will be is up to your imagination at this point. The video game license for James Bond has gotten passed around and around more times then the Bond actor has changed, and Activision is the current rights holder. GoldenEye 007 on the Nintendo 64 was a unique case though, because it was published by Nintendo. Very rarely does Nintendo publish a licensed game. Rare, who developed the game, is now owned by Microsoft, as many of you know. Generally, a lot of companies would have to come together to make a remake.

While GoldenEye 007 was great for its time, and somehow they made a first person shooter playable (and actually good) on that weird Nintendo 64 controller – the style of play, pacing and maps all are something of the past. Today’s console shooter player is playing Call of Duty: Black Ops and that style of game. Any interest in a PS3/Xbox 360 remake of GoldenEye would likely be just nostalgic. This “GoldenEye Reloaded” could just be another followup to last year’s GoldenEye 007 remake for the Nintendo Wii.

Ironically, Activision didn’t get just regular “goldeneyereloaded.com”, which was quickly snapped up by Mr. “Chris Mix” of Tolleson, Arizona.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

http://www.gamingbus.com/2011/06/29/goldeneye-domains-registered-by-activision/GoldenEye Domains Registered by Activision
By
Donavan Tucker
– June 29, 2011Posted in: News

Activision has registered four new GoldenEye domains, giving speculation that the publisher may be bringing the franchise to HD consoles. Domains registered were as follows: GoldenEyeReloadedGame.com, GoldenEye007GameReloaded.com, GoldenEyeReloaded007.com and GoldenEye007Reloaded.com. According to a WHOIS search of the domains, they were registered via MarkMonitor (a domain protection/branding service), use Activision’s nameservers, and were registered by Activision Publishing’s Mary Tuck. The domains were registered on Friday, June 24.

Fans may remember a 007 logo that flashed across the screen during the PlayStation Move presentation at Sony’s E3 event, which may or may not have correlation with Activision’s latest actions.

Currently, each website remains inactive. Activision has yet to comment on any new Bond games at this time.

Analysis: So, one thing is for sure here: GoldenEye is getting “Reloaded”. Whether or not it’s a remake of the original, or a completely brand new game, is anyone’s guess – though I’m hoping it’s the latter. We’ve already seen 007 remade on Wii, and though it was received well, it didn’t exactly do justice to the original – and for that reason alone, I can understand why Activision would want to remaster the 1997 original in high definition for Xbox 360 and PS3, assuming that’s what they mean by “reloaded.”

One might wonder why a remake was created for Wii instead of the other consoles in the first place. Well, GoldenEye’s origins are a little complicated in nature. The original GoldenEye, released on the N64, was published by Nintendo and developed by then 2nd party Nintendo developer Rareware. However, after GoldenEye’s HUGE success (commercially and critically), Activision went ahead and bought the license to James Bond, and Bond games began releasing on a yearly basis. By the time 2002 rolled around, Microsoft bought out Rare totally, taking Nintendo’s 49% share as well as the 51% held by founders Chris and Tim Stamper.

Though a remake or re-release of GoldenEye was in demand for years, it was held back because Rareware owned the original code to the game, while Nintendo owned the publishing rights to GoldenEye 007, and Activision owned the James Bond license. All parties eventually worked out a deal to bring the series back to life, but none of the Rare-created levels or missions were incorporated into the Wii-make, and the license to use Pierce Brosnan’s likeness had expired, prompting Activision to recast the entire game using actors relevant to more modern times. Basically, just a crap load of politics.

It’s these same politics that have kept the 1997 classic from seeing release on the Wii’s Virtual Console.

That being said, fans have wanted a proper re-imagining of GoldenEye for years, and though the Wii-make was decent, one has to imagine how GoldenEye could benefit from the extra power from current HD consoles. Personally, though, I’d like to see a new GoldenEye completely built from the ground up, but I’d be perfectly fine with being reloaded back into a game that made me want an N64 in the first place.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

This does sound like Sean bean. I don't know. I expect they will screw it up. The first image does not have Craig so maybe it is the real GE.
[BBvideo 425,350][/BBvideo]
Is that Sean Bean? A Look at the GoldenEye 007: Reloaded Trailer

James Bond is back in a new trailer for Activision's GoldenEye 007: Reloaded. GamePro breaks down what we know so far.

The Legend is Back," declares Activision's new trailer for GoldenEye 007: Reloaded. They mean it this time. Those previous attempts to bring the classic-title back and [s]milk it for profit[/s] update it don't count. This will be the definitive GoldenEye.

The recently announced new GoldenEye game has its first "reveal" trailer, but of course "reveals" very little. The voice-over does sound like the traitorous 006 (spoiler alert?) from the original movie, played by Sean Bean. There are several shots of the dam level from the first N64 game, but many environments that players won't recognize. The Hind copter attack, for example, I don't recall from my days as a kid-- though it looks pretty awesome. There are clearly some new weapons out there as well-- guns with thermal sights, new melee combat, and better sniper rifles at least. And as everyone who watched the original movie knows, 007 doesn't jump off the dam with a parachute, but with a bungie cord.

So this looks less like a straight update of the original game than a creative re-imagining. Hopefully this doesn't mean we simply get Daniel Craig or Roger Moore's face plastered onto what used to be Pierce Brosnan 's body, but rather opens up the game to some new creative missions. New gadgets, more stealth, and possible some new set-pieces would be welcome additions to the series. The trailer makes reference to a "financial crisis," and "ten years" of time passing, so perhaps we can expect a new plot as well.
Last edited by Omega on Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

If this Reloaded features DC instead of Pierce, I guess I'm going have to consider Resident Evil 5 as a definite James Bond game.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Even if it has imitators doing the voice but it looks like Pierce and Sean bean I might buy it for the xbox. Too bad it looks like the Wii version.
CaptainLewis
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldeneye
O.H.M.S.S.
Favorite Movies: Alien & Aliens
Inception
The Shawshank Redemption
Pulp Fiction

Post by CaptainLewis »

The best we can do is to live in hope. I watched the walkthrough of the Wii version and I was appalled how they changed 006s motivation. Instead of being angry with the British government because they more or less sentenced his parents to death,
Spoiler
in this one he is upset about the bankers!
That’s hardly enough motivation to blow up London.
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

If you want a post-Brosnan Bond game, buy Resident Evil 5 instead.
CaptainLewis
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldeneye
O.H.M.S.S.
Favorite Movies: Alien & Aliens
Inception
The Shawshank Redemption
Pulp Fiction

Post by CaptainLewis »

FormerBondFan wrote:If you want a post-Brosnan Bond game, buy Resident Evil 5 instead.
I've got it on the PS3, it's quite good. RES6 is coming, that will be good.

http://www.videogamer.com/news/resident ... _show.html
shaken not stirred
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldeneye, the spy who loved Me, the world is not enough, goldfinger, live and let die.
Favorite Movies: Iron man,Iron man 2, avengers, goldeneye, dark city, back to the future, live and let die.

Post by shaken not stirred »

CaptainLewis wrote:
FormerBondFan wrote:If you want a post-Brosnan Bond game, buy Resident Evil 5 instead.
I've got it on the PS3, it's quite good. RES6 is coming, that will be good.

http://www.videogamer.com/news/resident ... _show.html
I lost all hope in resident evil when crapcom ditched survival horror and turned it into an action game (re4 and 5), survival horror games are sadly a dieing breed now :(, but yeah it's more of a bond game then the creeptastic goldenpout remake he's in and looks like this game will be cregg and not Brosnan since a m8s happy it's craig and lol'd when I asked if it was the original cast, but that's his opinion on bond and that's mine.

If you're looking for a game that feels more like a post Brosnan bond game look at time crisis (first one), main character even looks like pierce a bit, same kind of story, save the girl, beat the evil guy who's holding a republic to ransom and beat his crazed right hand man at the end, hide behind boxes, and shoot behind cover, it was the closest thing to goldeneye for Me because I didn't have an n64 when it was released and didn't get to play it back then till I went over My cousins and played it there instead.
Bond....James bond....Rest in peace (1964-2002)
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

shaken not stirred wrote:I lost all hope in resident evil when crapcom ditched survival horror and turned it into an action game (re4 and 5), survival horror games are sadly a dieing breed now :(, but yeah it's more of a bond game then the creeptastic goldenpout remake he's in and looks like this game will be cregg and not Brosnan since a m8s happy it's craig and lol'd when I asked if it was the original cast, but that's his opinion on bond and that's mine.
I thought RE 4 scared the hell out of me, especially since there are bad guys popping out of nowhere. It takes a fan commentary in youtube to make it less scary.

I think what Capcom's trying to do was not being repetitive in having zombies all the time, and RE 4 was rather a great direction to change things up while still retaining zombie elements, but there's a tiny bit of James Bond element in there mostly because of an Asian character Ada Wong (who has gadgets with her).