Breaking News Thread

News and other Non-Bond Discussions
kater23
Moneypenny
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger,Living Daylights
Favorite Movies: Animal House, Star Wars(original recipe)

Re: Breaking News Thread

Post by kater23 »

@ Dr. No: Very well put. It's the "The South Will Rise Again" types that use it to justify their opinions-to an extreme-that I don't get.

My dad and I were talking about this, actually-I don't know where in the South you are, but my dad is old enough that he remembers separate drinking fountains, classrooms, etc. He lived in Virginia as a kid and even though it's pretty far North,it was definitely there, too.

Baltimore, of course, has a long history of..how shall we say,poor race relations. It's (geographically North, though its attitudes have always been very Southern(see:Both versions of the movie Hairspray)
I have no time for No Time To Die :lol:
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

Hi katie! :D
Your dad grew up north of here, we are in the Carolinas. But we have family all over the south and north. My families history starts with America only in the 20th century, they original moved south because of attitudes toward immigrants.
There was a documentary on the Tuskegee airmen talked about a lot of towns/cities they went to where they were not welcome many of them in northern cities I would not have guessed. But then California had laws about Chinese marrying whites was still law at that same time.

My wife thinks banning the flag will be fine in another 20 years it could go back to being what it was supposed to be. I'm afraid it will be case closed and nobody will bother to learn the real history. Ask anybody what the cause of the civil war was they say slavery without question. While slavery was undeniably a part of it by the end it was not the main cause.

There was recent case of some people visiting I think it was a historic military institution with a picture of Robert E Lee on the wall and they were outraged. They didn't know Lee was first and foremost an american hero fighting for decades for the US Army. This is what we get for not teaching history any more. American in general or regional/Southern. The history books I had as a kid glossed over the Indian wars and atrocities, never mention the Banana wars, the assault on WW1 vets camping out in Washington DC during the depression.
The books my kids have barely mention any real history at all.

I never had to grow up in a segregated south/america, I can't imagine it. But I still believe in the American flag. To me the confederate flag was meant to be a reminder of a rebellion, and these were people willing to fight the overwhelming power of the time. It was also about how the southern states were mistreated by the central power of the federal government before and after the war. It was supposed to be a flag of southern pride for all southern people not hate. I do not like surrendering it to the haters.

The Dukes of hazard didn't have a flag on the roof because they hated certain people, it was because they were rebels. Kind of like the Texans who love their flag.

But then maybe I'm out of step because my personal belief has always been treat everybody equally, maybe I incorporated too much of what I believe and how my family acted in to a baseline for my opinions and beliefs.

PC knee jerk reactions bother me.
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
kater23
Moneypenny
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger,Living Daylights
Favorite Movies: Animal House, Star Wars(original recipe)

Post by kater23 »

California isn't perfect either..I had no idea 'till I read it somewhere that a certain well known hotel in downtown San Diego banned African Americans from staying there and eating at the restaraunt 'till very recently. :shock:
I have no time for No Time To Die :lol:
Dr. No
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

And now the Dukes of hazards are being censored pulled off the air. I tired to find the DVD sets last night and they are sold out online. The show was never about hate or hating people.

Our country had devolved in to a dark age like knee-jerk reaction to PC sensibilities.
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Dr. No wrote:And now the Dukes of hazards are being censored pulled off the air. I tired to find the DVD sets last night and they are sold out online. The show was never about hate or hating people.

Our country had devolved in to a dark age like knee-jerk reaction to PC sensibilities.
I think it's an overreaction to current events that will burn out pretty quickly. Remember when Massive Attack had to change their name to Massive because of 9/11?
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Dr. No
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

Kristatos wrote:
Dr. No wrote:And now the Dukes of hazards are being censored pulled off the air. I tired to find the DVD sets last night and they are sold out online. The show was never about hate or hating people.

I think it's an overreaction to current events that will burn out pretty quickly. Remember when Massive Attack had to change their name to Massive because of 9/11?
I can only pray you are right.

It appears to be the birth a new age in this country where free speech is not acceptable. Where saying something innocuous on twitter can ruin a career. Where the people who say they want tolerance and understanding forbid any view but their own.
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

RIP Roger Rees ("deered to kill a kings dare")
RIP Omar Sharif
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

RIP Theodore Bikel who screentested for the role of Goldfinger.

http://www.theguardian.com/stage/2015/j ... dies-at-91
Bring back Bond!
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

George Cole has died aged 90 :( A legend.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-33803144

Bring back Bond!
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Re: The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

Post by Omega »

The magnitude of what the epa did to the water ways out here isn't hitting home to a lot of people forgetting about the ranchers and farmers whose source for water in a dry climate is gone many communities and native reservations are completely screwed over by this. Especially on the reservations where a lot get their only water from the rivers and streams , which will be re-contaminated every time it rains. This is going to kill people and ruin family farms and ranches . And wild life and plants

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
............ :007:
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

Where? What city?
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Durango . Co. Animas river , flows through the mountains to the desert in New Mexico

Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

The epa spilled toxic sludge from a closed gold mine in the pristine rivers .

The size of this f'up has not hit home for a lot of people yet. The f'ing Feds should be air dropping supplies to try to contain this before it hits lakes and other water sources

Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

I moved these posts here, as it seemed like a more natural home for them than the general discussion thread, which is more Bond-related, even if it does stray off-topic sometimes.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

I did a Google search, there were plenty of news stories on it. This was the first result: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... /31399517/
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Breaking News Thread

Post by Omega »

Good I thought it was local news only.
http://www.durangoherald.com/apps/pbcs. ... =mobileart

Durango and more to the north silverton are old west mountain mining town.

The Navajo are pissed, heard on the radio they are going to sue the Feds. Interesting since I didn't know the new president was in office the old Navajo president wouldn't leave office after he lost the election and refused to sign the law that made it legal for the new president who could not speak Navajo to take office.

Kind of a funny local political story.

But seriously the fed are wasting time if it's hit national news already there is no excuse form them not knowing and they should be flying in all kinda of supplies and food and water .

Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Well I'm surprised the first story on Fox News at 4 was the spill.

bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

Former U.S. President Jimmy Carter said on Wednesday that recent liver surgery revealed he had cancer that had spread to other parts of his body.

"I will be rearranging my schedule as necessary so I can undergo treatment by physicians at Emory Healthcare," Carter, 90, said in a statement. "A more complete public statement will be made when facts are known, possibly next week."

Carter, a Democrat, served as the 39th president from 1977 to 1981 after defeating Republican incumbent Gerald Ford. He was defeated for re-election in 1980 by Republican Ronald Reagan.

The Carter Center in Atlanta said last week that he had undergone elective surgery at Emory University Hospital to remove a small mass in his liver.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Sad news. I know that he's lived to a ripe old age, but cancer is no fun for anyone.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation