The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Re: The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

Post by Omega »

Kristatos wrote:Paramount take a $115 million hit on a movie that isn't even released for another 4 months: http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/mons ... ts-release
What a weird movie too.
Never seen such a vote of no confidence before, it were Sony or WB they would be talking about how excited they are and how ground breaking the movie is even try pushing stories about critics eating crow before giving up.
But who spends $125 million on a made for the Syfy channel movie? This a new attempt at getting free publicity in the social media age?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
............ :007:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

It's directed by the guy who made Ice Age, so I suspect it will be more aimed at kids than the Syfy stuff. I'll confess I didn't watch the trailer.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Kristatos wrote:It's directed by the guy who made Ice Age, so I suspect it will be more aimed at kids than the Syfy stuff. I'll confess I didn't watch the trailer.
It a movie about literally a monster using a truck as a shell. Thus monster trucks. :roll:

Reminds me of a tremors movie

Napoleon Solo
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love

Post by Napoleon Solo »

Sept. 22 is the 52nd anniversary of the debut of The Man From UNCLE.

Here is a sampling of correspondence related to Ian Fleming's involvement with UNCLE:

https://spycommandfeatures.wordpress.co ... volvement/
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Never knew EON were such litigious jerks so early on.

Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Omega wrote: It a movie about literally a monster using a truck as a shell. Thus monster trucks. :roll:

Reminds me of a tremors movie
OK, I watched the trailer. I actually thought it looked more like a weird mashup of ET, Free Willy and Transformers.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Yes. I think it's what they went for, the creature aspect was more tremors b movie to me, but I think they wanted a toy line

Napoleon Solo
Agent

Post by Napoleon Solo »

Omega wrote:Never knew EON were such litigious jerks so early on.

Broccoli and Saltzman forced Fleming to give up UNCLE.

As late as May 8, 1963, Fleming's agents were presenting his financial requests to the makers of UNCLE. They included a $25,000/year fee as consultant, guaranteed two Fleming plots for every 13 episodes ($2,500 per outline) and a guaranteed number of trips each year to Los Angeles (first class air fare), with a per diem of $50/day for each day he was in California.

By May 28, 1963 (his 55th birthday), Fleming signaled he wanted out. He sold his UNCLE rights the following month.

Fleming's take: 1 British pound.
Napoleon Solo
Agent

Post by Napoleon Solo »

One more Fleming-UNCLE note.

Fleming wrote notes on 11 Western Union telegraph blanks with ideas about the show, etc.

Two ideas in the Fleming notes saw the light of day in 2015.

1. A springboard about a story at "Nurburing." Presumably this was based on the plot idea for the unsold James Bond television series. That, of course, was part of last year's Trigger Mortis continuation novel.

2. Fleming described Solo as being a good cook and having "a rather coppery kitchen." In the 2015 UNCLE movie, Solo in one scene is shown wearing a chef's apron and making dinner for Gaby.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Sorry to post a blind link, but my phone is running out of juice: http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/jame ... ond-series
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Kristatos wrote:Sorry to post a blind link, but my phone is running out of juice: http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/jame ... ond-series
I have literally been thinking about this for the last few days. The 007 world feels like nothing is happening in it, one year ago the hype machine was in full swing yet the movie landed with a fizzle, more excitement surrounded Daniel's tirade and who is inevitable replacement would be, occupying most of this years discussions. Maybe it's just me, feels like the spring discussion EON promised getting Bond 25 started should be just around the corner, despite turning the page on summer to fall with the fast approaching end of the year impending.

I would quibble with their assessment of the success of a film like Quantum which we know like Spectre underperformed, the ticket inflation and inflation in general means those movies cleared a higher dollar amount while selling fewer tickets. On paper they look nice but actually earned less. However it was nice to have the cost of Specter be equated to the total cost of every 007 film Sir Roger and Timothy made combined. Maybe I shouldn't complain after all.

To the point they really were after how the production changed; Cubby's 007 series felt like there was a plan and stories they wanted to tell, completely agree althou the quality was shoddy as times the feeling the audience had was the next 007 adventure was in the works.

Barbara's 007 has no idea where it is going and every member of the audience gets this vibe. The films are produced in a slipshod manner, finishing production days before scheduled release with no room to edit. Honestly production starts without a finalized script as well. Eventhou I could make comparisons about how half-arsed Cubby's films could be and how some of the production failing are shared between his and his daughters regimes, his 007 definitely felt more stable and thought out. And hers has a cobbled together quality.
On balance, few are expecting him back either, and not just due to the comments he made on the press tour for Spectre where he seemed pretty adamant he was done with 007. There’s also a sense that Craig’s time as Bond has naturally come to an end, and after four films – the same tenure as Pierce Brosnan – it’s time for a new James Bond.

It’s certainly been set up. Sam Mendes, chatting to Empire earlier this year, said of the ending to Spectre that “it did feel to me like Daniel was saying goodbye at the end”, whilst also adding that “but there’s a clearly a way he can easily come back”. Hinting at the exhausting production of Spectre, Mendes added of Craig that “I think you’ve got to feel 100% to come back, and I think he knows that. He needs to have a break and do another role and see how he feels about that”. Which is pretty much what he’s doing. He’s shooting the TV show Purity next.

The telling moment with regards an announcement over Craig’s future may be just under a week away. On October 7th, he’s due to be interviewed for 90 minutes at the New Yorker Festival, under the title ‘Beyond Bond’. It’s highly likely that his future will be discussed, and potentially revealed at that point. The title of the event does at the least offer a clue.

Read more: http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/jame ... z4LkmeK3E0
Quite a bit has to happen first, though, or at least has to be announced. Because this is yet another pivotal moment in the James Bond saga. Does Eon continue with Daniel Craig, or does it gamble that his popularity in the role peaked with Skyfall, and it’s better to start a new three or four film sequence with a new leading actor? Does it, if you like, shake, or does it stir?

The first clues may be just a week away. As it stands, Spectre has left 007 at an interesting crossroads. James Bond will, of course, return. But who he’ll be and what he’ll be doing? A year on, we’ve as much idea as we had when we walked out of that first screening of Spectre…

Read more: http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/jame ... z4LkmxRjlc
It feels like the series has slipped in to another limbo, albeit one that should be easier to come out of than the 1998 to 1995 and 2008 to 2012 production halts. It seems to me this happened because of EON's desire to play the hype game by spreading rumours. Daniel Craig does enough to earn the ire of the heard of MGM, yet EON says nothing. Speculation of casting since almost this time last year goes into overdrive, EON says nothing. They might have forgotten they are in the expectations game, by that I mean they have to meat the expectations of their audience and the audience has fallen in love with the idea of a new 007. EON now has to get control of the narrative before they can begin production of the next 007 movie whatever they decide to do.
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Napoleon Solo wrote:One more Fleming-UNCLE note.

Fleming wrote notes on 11 Western Union telegraph blanks with ideas about the show, etc.

1. A springboard about a story at "Nurburing." Presumably this was based on the plot idea for the unsold James Bond television series. That, of course, was part of last year's Trigger Mortis continuation novel.

2. Fleming described Solo as being a good cook and having "a rather coppery kitchen." In the 2015 UNCLE movie, Solo in one scene is shown wearing a chef's apron and making dinner for Gaby.
Sorry I'm late to asking. What do you feel about the 2015 movie now? In the movie world it feels like it is becoming a afterthought, to me it was a missed opportunity to revive Ian Fleming's spy world, and to the Bond producers it seems to have inspired them on the keen eye of Guy Ritchie.
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
Napoleon Solo
Agent

Post by Napoleon Solo »

Blowfeld wrote:
Napoleon Solo wrote:One more Fleming-UNCLE note.

Sorry I'm late to asking. What do you feel about the 2015 movie now? In the movie world it feels like it is becoming a afterthought, to me it was a missed opportunity to revive Ian Fleming's spy world, and to the Bond producers it seems to have inspired them on the keen eye of Guy Ritchie.
I liked it fine. It's not the UNCLE movie I would have made. Still, to me, Solo was recognizable (even if his background was changed). They took more liberties with Kuryakin, although Sam Rolfe's initial concept was Illya as "a big Slavic man."

Years ago, I had a notion for an "origin" movie. It was based on something mentioned in passing by villain G. Emory Partridge (George Sanders) in the first of his two appearance. If you had done something like that, you could still do a new story while still throwing the original fans a bone.
Napoleon Solo
Agent

Post by Napoleon Solo »

Callum McDougall, one of BB's main deputies (he's a production manager and executive producer, the latter a secondary producer title), said on the BBC today that Daniel Craig is still Eon's top choice as Bond.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-37516060

Marc Forster gave an interview with Collider, says he considered quitting the Quantum gig.

http://collider.com/marc-forster-quantu ... ial#poster
Veronica
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love,GoldenEye,The Spy Who Loved Me,Goldfinger,Dr.No
Favorite Movies: After the Sunset,The Devil Wears Prada,The Thomas Crown Affair,To Catch a Thief,Midnight in Paris,North by Northwest, Purple Noon, La piscine.

Post by Veronica »

I liked U.N.C.L.E as well. I think the cast did a good job,the soundtrack was awesome and the movie as a whole was pure eye candy. As for the current state of Bond franchise and the direction they might take next all I can say is...only time will tell. I really hope this time Craig is done for good,we do not need his charismaless,sleepwalking presence again. After the fiasco of SP one can only go up you can't just go any lower after you turned Blofeld into Bond's brother and tried to present it as a serious matter.
The reboot of this shitty reboot is needed.
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

Daniel Craig might not want to pick up James Bond’s martini again, but 007’s producers want him back.

“I know they’re hoping for him to come back,” “James Bond” executive producer Callum McDougall said on a BBC radio show, calling the British actor “absolutely the first choice” of producers Barbara Broccoli and Michael G. Wilson.

Craig, however, isn’t quite as interested. McDougall, who has worked on nine 007 movies, was asked if Craig would be returning. “I wish I knew,” he said. “We love Daniel. We would love Daniel to return as Bond. Without any question he is absolutely Michael G. Wilson and Barbara Broccoli’s first choice. I know they’re hoping for him to come back.” He added that if Craig is willing to join the next Bond movie the role would “absolutely” be his. FBF, execute Order 66 NOW! [video][/video]
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

Bondopedia: Order 66 was an event at the end of the Spectre filming in which the minions of EON turned against their head green vegetable and her half-brother and removed them from power, bringing about the destruction of the corrupted Bond franchise. The event was triggered by Minion Protocol 66, an order secretly implanted into the minions, not known by EON, by tech genius "FBF". The protocol caused the minions to violently lash out at Broccoli and MGW and view them as threats. It was controlled by an anti-EON operative known only as FBF. Once carried out, the Bond franchise would revert back to normalcy and the role role of James Bond would go to Aidan Turner :!:
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Napoleon Solo wrote:
I liked it fine. It's not the UNCLE movie I would have made. Still, to me, Solo was recognizable (even if his background was changed). They took more liberties with Kuryakin, although Sam Rolfe's initial concept was Illya as "a big Slavic man."

Years ago, I had a notion for an "origin" movie. It was based on something mentioned in passing by villain G. Emory Partridge (George Sanders) in the first of his two appearance. If you had done something like that, you could still do a new story while still throwing the original fans a bone.
Their background alterations did bother me some, not enough to detract from the movie. I like they style, I like the music, they story was not quite there, however the director could have overcome the short coming by embracing how the movie should feel, like a Ian Fleming thriller.

I was hopeful The Man From Uncle could merge the new action movies with Fleming thriller, kind of disappointed myself because it feels like wasted effort to not pull it off. Sort of like the Doctor Who TV movie from the 90's. While I defend the movie alot of detractors love to hate, there was nobody behind the production ready to fight to get more made so in one way of looking at it is a waste of effort, however it did help keep Doctor Who alive and revitalized the books and audio dramas until the series could come back.
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Napoleon Solo wrote:Callum McDougall, one of BB's main deputies (he's a production manager and executive producer, the latter a secondary producer title), said on the BBC today that Daniel Craig is still Eon's top choice as Bond.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-37516060

Marc Forster gave an interview with Collider, says he considered quitting the Quantum gig.

http://collider.com/marc-forster-quantu ... ial#poster
What!? Someone from EON speaks on the record!?
I don't think it means much, maybe an attempt to tamp down casting rumours a year too late. They learned something from firing Pierce and handling the situation so bad publicly. If they came out and said Daniel is fired, can you imagine the hellstorm? Or the hosannas from this site!

I do believe privately Michael and Barbara are ready to move on with a new Bond, MGM is. Like Cubby I do not think they will say before they have a direction planned and actor signed.
Beside it's not like it is the first time EON lied in interviews about something they knew would be discovered in short order. (Q, Moneypenny, M, BroFeld, Tracy 2.0, and so on)

Even if this is dead on the truth, nothing has changed. He has another movie in his contract.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

I've said all along that they will keep Daniel as long as he wants the job. But it rather sounds as if he is more than ready to hang up his Walther PPK. And I think the public is ready for a new Bond too.