The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Re: The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

Post by bjmdds »

Make it a cool five out of six week atop the Twitter leaderboard heading into its release week for Captain America: Civil War. Its 402,520 tweets over the last week put it a long ways ahead of Deadpool’s 326,090 tweets over the same period before its release as well. Other comparisons that come to mind are Captain America: The Winter Soldier which had 220,592 tweets, and Avengers: Age Of Ultron which had 325,348. All signs point to a massive explosion here, and with the early reviews having it as the strongest film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe since the very first Iron Man (second overall with 93% fresh as I type this) it would appear as though its going to be able to pair a massive opening with a strong run over the beginning of the Summer blockbuster season. $200 million appears to be a lock with upside as it could very well be the largest opening (and grossing) film of the entire Marvel franchise to date.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

With another eight international territories opening last night, Captain America: Civil War is still on par with the performance of Avengers: Age of Ultron and has now taken in $84M in three days of release. In Mexico, it actually beat out Ultron to log the best industry opening of all time, according to Disney, with a haul of $7.3M. The U.K. opening of $7M also enjoyed a No. 1 launch, which was 33% ahead of Ultron and more than double that of Iron Man 3. In Japan, where it more than doubled the opening of Iron Man 3, it grabbed $2.8M as this picture is expected to take advantage of the Golden Week holiday there. In Spain the latest in the Marvel/Disney franchise grossed $1.4M, only about 2% behind Ultron‘s opening day. The film is No. 1 in the country right now. Civil War is open in 63% of its international footprint with all key markets open except for Russia, China, Italy and Argentina. Those territories open next weekend.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

bjmdds wrote:FBF won't like this news: Boxoffice.com: Twitter activity for Independence Day: Resurgence has been underwhelming thus far and suggests that the film is unlikely to experience a break-out performance. Estimate: Independence Day: Resurgence Jun 24, 2016---- $68,000,000 opening weekend :shock: -----total USA run--- only $175,000,000 :shock:
FBF aside, I've not seen a whole lot of buzz surrounding this movie. And sequels to movies over 10 years old rarely do well, especially without the original stars. Is Jeff Goldblum in this movie?
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Kristatos wrote:
bjmdds wrote:FBF won't like this news: Boxoffice.com: Twitter activity for Independence Day: Resurgence has been underwhelming thus far and suggests that the film is unlikely to experience a break-out performance. Estimate: Independence Day: Resurgence Jun 24, 2016---- $68,000,000 opening weekend :shock: -----total USA run--- only $175,000,000 :shock:
FBF aside, I've not seen a whole lot of buzz surrounding this movie. And sequels to movies over 10 years old rarely do well, especially without the original stars. Is Jeff Goldblum in this movie?
yes and most of everybody else except for the fresh prince will smith
............ :007:
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

IMO the Id4 sequined will depend on word of mouth and good reviews

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Kristatos wrote:
Better ID4 2 than Thomas Crown 2.
Veronica
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love,GoldenEye,The Spy Who Loved Me,Goldfinger,Dr.No
Favorite Movies: After the Sunset,The Devil Wears Prada,The Thomas Crown Affair,To Catch a Thief,Midnight in Paris,North by Northwest, Purple Noon, La piscine.

Post by Veronica »

TC2 is not happening anyway FBF.
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Veronica wrote:TC2 is not happening anyway FBF.
No one is going to be interested in sequel to a remake over 10 years old. Tron: Legacy (of course the first Tron is not a remake) worked because of two things: it's a Disney flick, and it takes place in a expanding universe. ID4 2 falls in the latter. With or without Smith, I'm sure it will do better than the first movie at the box office. Jeff Goldblum is not the star of the movie nor is Bill Pullman. No, not even Liam Hemsworth. The true stars are those nasty aliens and their technology.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Captain America and Iron Man took their fight to the overseas box office in a big way.
In just five days, Disney (DIS) and Marvel's "Captain America: Civil War" nabbed an estimated $200.2 million at the international box office.
The film starring Robert Downey Jr. and Chris Evans has brought in big numbers after starting its overseas roll out in 37 markets, including France and Korea, on Wednesday.
The haul puts the film 5% behind the opening of last year's Marvel hit, "Avengers: Age of Ultron," according to Disney. That film eventually went on to make $1.4 billion at worldwide box office.
And the ticket sales for "Civil War" are only expected to grow. The film has only opened in 63% of the international marketplace so far.
The movie has yet to be released in both China and the United States -- the two biggest film markets in the world -- and it will soon hit screens in Italy and Russia.
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

FormerBondFan wrote:
Veronica wrote:TC2 is not happening anyway FBF.
No one is going to be interested in sequel to a remake over 10 years old. Tron: Legacy (of course the first Tron is not a remake) worked because of two things: it's a Disney flick, and it takes place in a expanding universe. ID4 2 falls in the latter. With or without Smith, I'm sure it will do better than the first movie at the box office. Jeff Goldblum is not the star of the movie nor is Bill Pullman. No, not even Liam Hemsworth. The true stars are those nasty aliens and their technology.
Neither Tron nor Tron Legacy was not considered a success by Disney, they cancelled the sequel because of other Disney flops still I enjoyed the movie, It was better than other games and stories to used to follow up on the original Tron.

I take your point about good follow ups to original movies, in this respect I do consider Tron legacy a success. Independence Day sequel 20 years late, well it might work, I remember the original movie was panned before release it was though to be a flop before it was even out. The success surprised a lot of people so I wouldn't count the sequel out yet. If it's a good flick like the original it might surprise again.

What is interesting about Independence day for me is it was a response to the producers not getting a sequel for Stargate, essentially making the story they planed on for Stargate with a different name and for a different studio. When MGM made SG:1 the producers were pissed enough to release a rival book series, here is the interesting part they were titled Stargate: Rebellion, Stargate: Retaliation, Stargate: Retribution, Stargate: Reconnaissance, Stargate: Resistance, you might notice the similarity to Independence Day: Resurgence.

I usually enjoy their movies even 2012 and Day After Tomorrow. Yes even Flyboys which honestly didn't work that well, it tired to cram too many clichés together with real history. This and staring James Franco was a mistake. I have yet to like James in a movie, something about him is off putting.
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Mar 25–27- 1- $166,007,347 - 4,242 - $39,134 $166,007,347 1
Apr 1–3- 1- $51,335,254 -69.1% 4,256 +14 $12,062 $260,408,047 2
Apr 8–10- 2- $23,363,079 -54.5% 4,102 -154 $5,696 $296,613,621 3
Apr 15–17- 4- $9,028,356 -61.4% 3,505 -597 $2,576 $311,330,086 4
Apr 22–24- 6- $5,502,033 -39.1% 3,066 -439 $1,795 $319,483,636 5
Apr 29–May 1- 9- $3,810,000---------S v B------I gave it 3 weekends and said it would drop off after that...........right on the money :!: It's in 9th place already. :lol:
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Blowfeld wrote:I take your point about good follow ups to original movies, in this respect I do consider Tron legacy a success. Independence Day sequel 20 years late, well it might work, I remember the original movie was panned before release it was though to be a flop before it was even out. The success surprised a lot of people so I wouldn't count the sequel out yet. If it's a good flick like the original it might surprise again.
The thing about Tron: Legacy is that it involves technology, and technology evolves constantly. As for Independence Day, we only touch on-the-surface area of those aliens and their technology. After the movie ended, those aliens don't away. What do we know about them and their advanced technology? What did man do with the leftovers from those species? Are there any of other species other than the one we were introduced to in the first? Let's know forget that we're dealing with large scale sci-fi where the universe is vast. Where else would there be more stories within the Star Trek and Star Wars universes......and Stargate as well? This is why ID4 2 is the top of my list to see. Yeah it stinks that Will Smith is not in it, but the sequel doesn't need him. Again, those aliens are the biggest stars, not the actors starring in them, though it would be interesting to see what their characters are up to.
Yes even Flyboys which honestly didn't work that well, it tired to cram too many clichés together with real history. This and staring James Franco was a mistake. I have yet to like James in a movie, something about him is off putting.
Emmerich didn't direct Flyboys. It was Tony Bill.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

Post by Omega »

Will smith is not in it because he wanted too much money unlike most Hollywood stories where they say Brosnan or bale wanted too much and they never actually were talking to them I believe this one because will smith thinks he's worth the big pay day even though he has not had a hit in a very long time.
I know they wanted smith back said it wouldn't be impossible with out him, then said the movie couldn't afford him like the expendables 3 couldn't afford Bruce Willis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Etonline: Captain America: Civil War does the impossible: makes us excited for yet another Spider-Man reboot.

Tom Holland plays the first Peter Parker to be integrated into the larger Marvel Cinematic Universe, and, at the risk of falling into hyperbole, he's the best one yet -- no disrespect to Andrew Garfield, who got the shaft in the revolving door of friendly neighborhood Spideys.

As Deadpool seemingly ushers in an era of anti-superhero superhero movies, Marvel leans even further into what they do best, letting Spider-Man fanboy over all the superheroes he encounters -- even as they exchange blows. "Have you ever been in a fight? There's usually not this much talking," Falcon (Anthony Mackie) quips in one of the movie's best moments. And the best news? Civil War basically acts as Spider-Man's origin-ish story and there's not a dead Uncle Ben in sight! It Does Batman v Superman Better Than Batman v Superman. It Does Avengers 2 Better Than Avengers 2.
Napoleon Solo
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love

Post by Napoleon Solo »

May 2 is the 8th anniversary of the first Iron Man movie's debut.

Quantum of Solace originally had the date but relinquished it when all concerned figured there was no way to do a Bond movie in a year-and-a-half.

Movie world hasn't been quite the same since.
The Saint 007
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me, A View To A Kill, Goldfinger, GoldenEye, For Your Eyes Only, Moonraker, Octopussy, Thunderball

Post by The Saint 007 »

Some Bond fans are growing restless again.
Veronica
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love,GoldenEye,The Spy Who Loved Me,Goldfinger,Dr.No
Favorite Movies: After the Sunset,The Devil Wears Prada,The Thomas Crown Affair,To Catch a Thief,Midnight in Paris,North by Northwest, Purple Noon, La piscine.

Post by Veronica »

The Saint 007 wrote:Some Bond fans are growing restless again.
Oh,boy,a Felix Leither origin! Can't wait for all the stories and mommy and daddy issues other 00 agents have! _.///
Although 60's were the golden age of Bond because of the strength of the movies,Bond is a timeless character and can work equally well today just as it did back in the 60's. It's producers that try to hide their lack of ideas and incompetence by saying it wouldn't work in today's world.
dirtybenny
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love and all the Connery films
Favorite Movies: Dirty Harry, Bullitt, The Sting, LA Confidential, The Maltese Falcon, and The Big Sleep

Post by dirtybenny »

The Saint 007 wrote:Some Bond fans are growing restless again.
WOW! I didn't know they allowed internet use in mental institutions! Seriously! Take a moment to think before you spew this sort of insanity across the internet!

Bond in the 60's? They tried that in The Man from UNCLE , it didn't work that well financially! In fact I'd be surprised if it got a sequel. He also states: "Revisiting the character in a time several decades before the dawn of instant information may unveil a whole new side of the Bond mythos by forcing us to see how problems may be solved by a spy in his element without a smartphone or high-powered satellites." He does realize we've already saw that right? It is referred to as every Bond film up to 1995! As Veronica said all this rubbish about not being relevant is a cop out, especially now that they have regained the rights to Spectre. They have a ready made enemy to thwart, no need to cram some modern day enemy "relevance" in to the storyline, too bad they cocked it up with Brofeld.

Off shoot stories about Felix and the other 00's? They considered that with a Jinx storyline, look how that turned out! I mean it's not such a bad idea it would allow Babz to explore her "creativity" without besmirching the good name of Bond, but considering she can't make a decent film given 3-4 years time and absolute concentration on the project, I'd hate to see the results. But this guy really goes of the rails suggesting time travel! Seeing how the 00s operate during the World Wars?! A hundred years in the future?! Put down the bong turn off the computer, and clear your head before you embarrass yourself any further pal!
The Rouge Warrior, On Hermaphrodite's Secret Service Image
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Hiddleston said: "It is a national obsession to talk about who should be the next James Bond. Everyone has an opinion about it basically. My belief is that Daniel Craig will do many, many more. As far as I'm concerned, he is James Bond." Image Loki would be a pathetic Bond :!: :down: Image