The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Moonraker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

Re: The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

Post by Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry »

Kristatos wrote:No screenings in Bristol. Oh well.
I only saw the link on a freebie site yesterday. :( I think there was a ticket for the Cinema De Luxe in Bristol. Maybe the site is worth checking in future for free tickets.
shaken not stirred
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldeneye, the spy who loved Me, the world is not enough, goldfinger, live and let die.
Favorite Movies: Iron man,Iron man 2, avengers, goldeneye, dark city, back to the future, live and let die.

Post by shaken not stirred »

bjmdds wrote:Again he was cursing. He is a low-class vulgar individual. Let him get lost already.
True, he was never that till he was written this way since cr, he'll probably get another film or more regardless of this, if Connery or any other actor was to say something like this they would've been told where to go (ie biting the hand that feeds).
Bond....James bond....Rest in peace (1964-2002)
Veronica
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love,GoldenEye,The Spy Who Loved Me,Goldfinger,Dr.No
Favorite Movies: After the Sunset,The Devil Wears Prada,The Thomas Crown Affair,To Catch a Thief,Midnight in Paris,North by Northwest, Purple Noon, La piscine.

Post by Veronica »

bjamesobrad wrote:https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/post/128094 ... istic-says
I don't know if this was posted yet or not but.... :yay:
Craig saying as of right now Spectre is his last Bond
Not as sexist,mysogonist...yes well,you are also not nearly as charismatic,handsome,sophisticated and all around James Bond like as earlier incarnations.
"Strong fenale characters,good roles..."...this has Barbara Broccoli written all over it. Like we didn't have characters like that before this "brilliant" reboot.
Whether Craig is really leaving or not...he said years ago he doesn't wanna be in a role but hey-he probably heard a sound of cash.
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

bjamesobrad wrote:https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/post/128094 ... istic-says
I don't know if this was posted yet or not but.... :yay:
Craig saying as of right now Spectre is his last Bond
big news . I do think he may call it quits for a lot of reasons . But with this movie he can end his run and give bond a happy ending

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
............ :007:
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

The Man From U.N.C.L.E. (PG-13)
116 minutesAction/Adventure | Comedy | Spy | Adapted (TV Series) - Aug 14, 2015

Opening Weekend: $13,421,036 | Total Domestic Gross: $34,567,224 | Worldwide Gross: $71,167,224 | Total Budget*: $120,000,000 *BoxOffice.com's total budget numbers are a combination of production budget figures and estimated domestic P&A costs...............how can they ever break even? It's a complete flop at the all important box office. Hammer's career is in Cr-egg (outside Bond) territory now. He murdered 2 iconic roles in movie history now. Cavill is just awaiting Broccoli's phone call after New Year's eve if Cr-egg leaves.
Daltonite Toothpaste
Single O
Favorite Bond Movie: The Living Daylights, Licence To Kill, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, From Russia With Love, Tomorrow Never Dies & For Your Eyes Only.
Favorite Movies: American Mary, Deadlier Than The Male, Dracula, Saved, The Big Sleep, The French Connection, Under The Sand

Post by Daltonite Toothpaste »

bjmdds wrote:Cavill is just awaiting Broccoli's phone call after New Year's eve if Cr-egg leaves.
Please for the love of good no. I'd rather see the series put on hold than let Cavil near it. Can't you Cavil fans see U.N.C.L.E a few more times? The more money that film might make, the more he might be too tied up with for Bond.

Alright, that's Stratton. Can't wait. If they pull this off, I hope that Undersea Prison comes next. 8)
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Why do you hate Cavill so much as a potential Bond Toothpaste?
Daltonite Toothpaste
Single O
Favorite Bond Movie: The Living Daylights, Licence To Kill, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, From Russia With Love, Tomorrow Never Dies & For Your Eyes Only.
Favorite Movies: American Mary, Deadlier Than The Male, Dracula, Saved, The Big Sleep, The French Connection, Under The Sand

bjmdds wrote:Why do you hate Cavill so much as a potential Bond Toothpaste?

I don't hate him, I don't even know him to hate him. He just comes off too much like a younger Brosnan, smarmy vibes and all. He may fit the Bond look more than Craig (but the hair colour isn't a problem for me), but just looking more like Bond than what we've been stuck with in CR/QOS/SF and SP, isn't enough for me. He needs the right amount of charm (not too much, not too little), intelligence, toughness and experience (unless the actor is a rookie Bond in thier mid 20's... not a 38 year old rookie Bond). And if his delivery wasn't robotic, that would be a welcome plus.
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

Telegraph piece about the interview Bjameso mentioned:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film ... s-out.html
For the new film, Spectre, Craig told Esquire magazine that he would instead bring “weight and meaning” to the role. Craig, who has disclosed Spectre is likely to be his final appearance as Bond, said the new film would consciously make its parts for women as empowering as possible, to counteract Bond’s own behaviour.

Craig suggested this may be his last appearance in the role, paving the way for heightened speculations over who will fill his shoes. When asked if he would continue in the franchise, he said: “At this moment, no. I have a life and I’ve got to get on with it a bit. But we’ll see.”

“You know, it sounds awful but I’ve been left a wealthy man by doing this. I can afford to live very comfortably... I’m incredibly fortunate.
“But the day I can walk into a pub and someone goes, ‘Oh, there’s Daniel Craig’ and then just leaves me alone, that’ll be great.”
Bring back Bond!
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

Post by Omega »

Daltonite Toothpaste wrote:
bjmdds wrote:Cavill is just awaiting Broccoli's phone call after New Year's eve if Cr-egg leaves.
Please for the love of good no. I'd rather see the series put on hold than let Cavil near it. Can't you Cavil fans see U.N.C.L.E a few more times? The more money that film might make, the more he might be too tied up with for Bond.

Alright, that's Stratton. Can't wait. If they pull this off, I hope that Undersea Prison comes next. 8)
unless eon and wb are in league with each other I doubt cavil will get the job. He's too important to wb and wb would have priority in his schedule like Jennifer Lawrence with xmen & hunger games .

Barry Niven
Lieutenant

Post by Barry Niven »

bjmdds wrote:Why do you hate Cavill so much as a potential Bond Toothpaste?

I don't hate him, I don't even know him to hate him. He just comes off too much like a younger Brosnan, smarmy vibes and all. He may fit the Bond look more than Craig (but the hair colour isn't a problem for me), but just looking more like Bond than what we've been stuck with in CR/QOS/SF and SP, isn't enough for me. He needs the right amount of charm (not too much, not too little), intelligence, toughness and experience (unless the actor is a rookie Bond in thier mid 20's... not a 38 year old rookie Bond). And if his delivery wasn't robotic, that would be a welcome plus.
Now this is another reason I never warmed up to Brosnan (and don't particularly CARE about this Cavill fellow either, as Man Of Stool didn't impress me anymore than Say-U.N.C.L.E., whose main failing was that I just didn't like ANY of the characters, especially the female lead who was all pouty and sulky.. But that's beside the point). All this hype about how PB should've/could've/would've been the Perfect, Bestest James Bond Ever without actually DOING anything except look the part and being rather smug about it before even being cast in the role. IIRC, when People magazine had the option to do a cover story on Timothy Dalton's debut in 1986-87, they instead ran a pity-party about how Poor Pierce was Cheated out of his Dream Job by the Big Bad Network making him stay on Remington Steele and how it was soooo unfair, and Dalton was just a last-minute/second-rate choice, and blah blah blah. And this had the ugly backlash of undermining DALTON's run to the extent that MGM/UA did such a half-assed job promoting him because THEY would've preferred to have Brosnan all along and could only mourn the potential Hit-maker they lost instead of taking advantage of the REAL opportunity they had with Dalton's abilities and commitment as a Serious Actor.

Now granted, that $#!+ move by NBC/MTM Productions was unfair*, and PB certainly deserved some consideration for that, BACK THEN. And the death of his first wife Cassandra Harris to cancer made it a LOT easier to feel sympathy for the man. But after that? I don't think so. True, the apologists all claimed that because PB looked too young in 1986, that made his actual anointment with a more "mature" appearance for his early 40s more "appropriate" for the Bond character's age and experience. And with PB (then) actually a widower just like Bond, that made him even more "perfect" for all the serious, brooding stuff over personal loss that the scripts were gearing towards. But really, this all just ended up being an excuse NOT pick on PB, to absolve him of any criticism for his shortcomings, and that to believe or express otherwise was just plain WRONG and BAD, so everyone should just leave him alone and accept him as the BEST Bond Since Connery and Better Than Moore. To that, I say bull$#!+. Because no matter how much I was *told* to give PB's Bond a chance, I just didn't like his Bond. He was too bland, smug, and poncy for me, making his quartet of already-mediocre movies worse with a 'hero' I couldn't stand. And that's really all there was to it.

More and more, I'm actually wishing that had EON gotten their act together by 1992, they could've fulfilled Dalton's 3-movie contract by making his last appearance mark the Series' 30th Anniversary and it's Conclusion, and leave it at that. When Terence Young was still alive, he once stated that he would only return to Direct the LAST Movie, which would've been intriguing, but impractical given his advanced age and how out-of-touch he would've been with the Modern Film-making techniques that John Glen barely managed to grasp in the 1980s (Young died in 1994). A better alternative would've been Peter Hunt, who still had at least 10 years left by then (d: 2002), was practically Young's apprentice/successor in the Best Era of the 1960s (in terms of quality, style, and innovation), and deserved a second Bond movie to Direct with a REAL Actor like Dalton to bow out with. And OHMSS was pretty Goddamned impressive for a debut, starring an unknown, NON-professional like George Lazenby to boot (who actually didn't suck like the snotty "critics" too enamored with the Looming Shadow of Sean Connery claimed at the time). Now how incredible would THAT have been?

But that didn't happen, so I'll just have to deal with LTK as my default choice for the End of an Era. And use the 7 (soon 8) mediocre "Bond" movies of the last 20 years with two actors I don't dig to make the first 16 that much more valuable to me. Still, PB's presence does put one thing in perspective: as a lesser rerun of Roger Moore, it proved that Moore was there before Brosnan and he was BETTER than Brosnan. And that's something to be thankful for, isn't it? And more happily, we're allowed to mock and insult the Craggy's mumbly-moping, pouty-posing, incompetent-idiocy without any guilt of how insensitive it is to his "private life" (which hasn't yet been *exploited* as a tool to make the public accept HIM as 007, probably because it would actually have the opposite effect if that were the case). And I LIKE making fun of the Craggy with my exaggerated recitals of his worst line ever (with full-blown pouty-face for emphasis): "I'm motivated by my duty". So maybe there is something good to come out of this goof after all.

* - Additionally, NBC supposedly attempted a "compromise" with EON to delay production of the new season of RS to allow PB to film TLD, which would effectively have PB retaining both roles of Bond and Steele at the same time. But Cubby vetoed that pie-in-the-sky idea, citing conflict-of-interest with audiences staying home to watch PB as Steele (while "imagining" him as Bond) on TV For Free instead of actually Paying Money to see their James Bond Movie in the Theatres (where PB would actually BE Bond) and reducing their Box-Office take. Hence, Cubby's direct quote of "James Bond Will Not Be Remington Steele and Remington Steele Will Not Be James Bond" that gave NBC the excuse to renew RS at that last minute and withhold PB from EON's hands out of spite over Cubby's territorial inflexibility (forgetting their own hypocrisy of only renewing an already-CANCELLED series because its Star suddenly became their Meal-Ticket as the Next James Bond to Exploit). Sure, Cubby "made it up" to PB later with GE, but that had to have f***ing hurt PB to known how that initial rejection went down which probably made Cubby's minimal involvement in GE (and total ABSENCE from TND-DAD) a huge relief for PB. Still, didn't save him from Babs' when she took charge, but that's another story..
Last edited by Barry Niven on Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Hey why can't eon make a few thrillers staring Dalton and brosnan , call them bond or not. Both still have the chops and would like to prove it

FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Plus, I don't even want Babs to go near Cavill. It's not just him, but also any traditional classic tall and dark-haired type actors as well.
Last edited by FormerBondFan on Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daltonite Toothpaste
Single O

Omega wrote:Hey why can't eon make a few thrillers staring Dalton and brosnan , call them bond or not. Both still have the chops and would like to prove it

In the same film together? I think Brosnan might just (only just) get away with playing a retired MI6 agent, now. I don't know if Dalton could, BUT Dalton could play the MI6 boss to Brosnan's brought out of retirement agent.

I wasn't aware until recently that Brosnan tried to be part of a McClory rouge Bond in 1989. One wonders if that caused any friction between 1995-2002. As for Dalton's 3rd Bond, i think a new director would have been wise. Keep it in house, and promote a member of the Bond family, that way, you'll have someone who knows the ropes of a Bond film. I wouldn't want some arty director getting the wrong ideas at the helm....

Koskov: "Power has gone to his head."
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Omega wrote:Hey why can't eon make a few thrillers staring Dalton and brosnan , call them bond or not. Both still have the chops and would like to prove it

In the same film together? I think Brosnan might just (only just) get away with playing a retired MI6 agent, now. I don't know if Dalton could, BUT Dalton could play the MI6 boss to Brosnan's brought out of retirement agent.

Barry Niven, that was like poetry. I wasn't aware until recently that Brosnan tried to be part of a McClory rouge Bond in 1989. One wonders if that caused any friction between 1995-2002. As for Dalton's 3rd Bond, i think a new director would have been wise. Keep it in house, and promote a member of the Bond family, that way, you'll have someone who knows the ropes of a Bond film. I wouldn't want some arty director getting the wrong ideas at the helm....

Koskov: "Power has gone to his head."
they've been talking about bond at the end of his career and there are two experienced actors who can do it. Or it could be bond in all but name.
They could star together or each have movie. Eon always talks about how much they love former actors they could use their production company to give the actors a chance to get the final movie(s) they never got to make.

I wouldn't try to make them pretend they are in their prime , but I could see Dalton being d**n good as bond who somehow made it to retirement kind or RED and Expendables but for bond.

bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

(CNN)The writer of the new James Bond novel "Trigger Mortis" has set off a firestorm with a remark about Idris Elba. Anthony Horowitz recently told the Daily Mail that he believes Elba is "probably a bit too 'street' for Bond. Is it a question of being suave? Yeah." "Between The World and Me" author Ta-Nehisi Coates tweeted that Hororwitz should "Just be honest and say 'James Bond's being white is important to me' and be done with it." But in the interview, Horowitz -- whom the estate of Bond creator Ian Fleming chose to take over the 007 books -- said his issue with Elba for the role has nothing to do with the actor's race. "Idris Elba is a terrific actor, but I can think of other black actors who would do it better," the writer said. Horowitz tweeted an apology amidst all the controversy Tuesday. "I admit it was a poor choice of word," he said. "I am mortified to have caused offence."
Veronica
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love,GoldenEye,The Spy Who Loved Me,Goldfinger,Dr.No
Favorite Movies: After the Sunset,The Devil Wears Prada,The Thomas Crown Affair,To Catch a Thief,Midnight in Paris,North by Northwest, Purple Noon, La piscine.

Post by Veronica »

carl stromberg wrote:Telegraph piece about the interview Bjameso mentioned:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film ... s-out.html
For the new film, Spectre, Craig told Esquire magazine that he would instead bring “weight and meaning” to the role. Craig, who has disclosed Spectre is likely to be his final appearance as Bond, said the new film would consciously make its parts for women as empowering as possible, to counteract Bond’s own behaviour.

Craig suggested this may be his last appearance in the role, paving the way for heightened speculations over who will fill his shoes. When asked if he would continue in the franchise, he said: “At this moment, no. I have a life and I’ve got to get on with it a bit. But we’ll see.”

“You know, it sounds awful but I’ve been left a wealthy man by doing this. I can afford to live very comfortably... I’m incredibly fortunate.
“But the day I can walk into a pub and someone goes, ‘Oh, there’s Daniel Craig’ and then just leaves me alone, that’ll be great.”

"...weight and meaning to the role". We've been hearing nothing but this for the past 10 years.
every time they just go "now critics,pay attention to THIS Bond movie,because it's not as shallow or sexist or sth,now its all deep and emotional and actually has meaning"...blah,blah,blah. That's how they lure critics....
About Craig being incredibly fortunate...well,yes,getting millions for the role you are not even right for AT ALL. If anything,he is lucky.
Whether he'll quit after Spectre-time will tell. As well as the success of the movie.
ml94
Single O
Favorite Bond Movie: GOLDFINGER, FOR YOUR EYES ONLY, THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS, GOLDENEYE.
Favorite Movies: T2 & THE DARK KNIGHT.

Post by ml94 »

spectre IS creggs LAST. :up: :up:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

ml94 wrote:spectre IS creggs LAST. :up: :up:
Maybe. I'm not celebrating until the new Bond is announced, and even then only if it's someone who's actually suitable for the role.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Daltonite Toothpaste
Single O

Would that make it, The ExBondables, Omega? :wink: