The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Re: The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

Post by Kristatos »

Roger denies that he was even talking about Idris. He was asked if the next Bond should be English, and he said yes. It was the interviewer that made it about Idris, according to Sir Rog.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Veronica
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love,GoldenEye,The Spy Who Loved Me,Goldfinger,Dr.No
Favorite Movies: After the Sunset,The Devil Wears Prada,The Thomas Crown Affair,To Catch a Thief,Midnight in Paris,North by Northwest, Purple Noon, La piscine.

Post by Veronica »

Kristatos wrote:Roger denies that he was even talking about Idris. He was asked if the next Bond should be English, and he said yes. It was the interviewer that made it about Idris, according to Sir Rog.
Well then everything is settled.
The Sweeney
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, GF, LTK, CR, FRWL
Favorite Movies: Bullitt, The Long Good Friday, The Towering Inferno, Jaws, Rocky, Superman the Movie, McVicar, Goodfellas, Get Carter, Three Days of the Condor, Butch & Sundance, The Sting, All the Presidents Men

Post by The Sweeney »

This whole thing with what Moore said is a sign of the times, and how f&cked up the PC world is now.
I agree with everything Moore said, and no I don't want a black Bond...ever!

The day that happens, is the day I wash my hands completely of the franchise.....
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Alessandra wrote:See what happens when one tells the truth? Sir Roger said Idris Elba can't be James Bond. Now all the idiotic politically correct thinkers are trying to roast him.
Regarding Elba, he said:

“A few years ago, I said that Cuba Gooding Jr would make an excellent Bond, but it was a joke!’ Roger shared to Paris Match magazine.

He added, “Although James may have been played by a Scot, a Welshman and an Irishman, I think he should be “English-English”. Nevertheless, it’s an interesting idea, but unrealistic.”

After facing much backlash for his comments, Roger wrote on Twitter, “An interview I gave to Paris Match implies I said something racist about Idris Elba. That is simply untrue. #Lost in translation.”
That is great. Now Sir Rog sounds like a sacked Midsomer producer.
This is the problem with supporting actors who do not represent who James Bond is supposed to be. Sir Rog dotes on Daniel, a striped down action "star" who neither looks nor acts like 007, how then can he say anybody from Dwayne "the Rock" Johnson to Mackenzie Crook (Pirates of the Caribbean) is 'wrong for the role'?
Fans love when he affirms their actor as Bond, Pierce's fans loved it when he praised Remington Steel, Daniel Craig's fans see it as affirmation themselves. Remember what a villain George Lazenby was trashing Pierce? Of course we learn later he thought he might star in another Kevin McClory 007 production so who knows if it was his true opinion. Which it could be.
I have respected Rog's take on a few movies, he will give his opinion on what he does and does not like, whoever the actor is he will have nothing but praise for. He also took the time to do commentaries for his movies which Daniel and Pierce have not, I mention their name because those two will get why commentaries are popular with die hard fans.

Lesson to be learned when a flavour of the month who is not appropriate comes up in conversation a person would be wise not to shake the boat.
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

The Sweeney wrote:This whole thing with what Moore said is a sign of the times, and how f&cked up the PC world is now.
I agree with everything Moore said, and no I don't want a black Bond...ever!

The day that happens, is the day I wash my hands completely of the franchise.....
It may be inevitable at this point. Current star and past, now the producers are praising Idrissa Elba.
[spoil]
"I think he'd make a great Bond," Wilson answered immediately.

"I always say, it's like asking a woman who's going up the aisle on her wedding day who her next husband is going to be," Broccoli added jokingly. "You know, Daniel Craig is Bond, and I don't want to think about what happens when he goes. But I'm a huge fan of Idris -- we all are. He's a great actor, and he could do anything. So ask me when we're looking for a new Bond -- which hopefully won't be for a long time.
[/spoil]

Should be noted Ms Barbara had the same gushing praise for Pierce circa Die Another Day. Perhaps she thinks it is cute for a female producer to act like she is a blushing bride newly married.
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Kristatos wrote:Roger denies that he was even talking about Idris. He was asked if the next Bond should be English, and he said yes. It was the interviewer that made it about Idris, according to Sir Rog.
Well of course, naturally if they had mentioned Idris by name Sir Rog could only have affirmed his undying admiration. :roll:
Who do I believe? Well I'll believe Sir Rog at this point.
Atticus
Lieutenant

Post by Atticus »

It's a shame that Roger Moore has to get dragged into a racial accusation. The other thing is, he's been out of the business and is not in touch with how PC the media has become. Whereas a guy like Brosnan, who's still in the game, understands this and will know how to deal with questions about casting a black Bond. I don't believe Moore is a racist. But what's sad is that, now in his old age, his career and all his good work in UNICEF are eclipsed by a racial accusation. He's basically tarnished now.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Most people seem to believe him when he say he was quoted out of context, from what I can tell.
Atticus
Lieutenant

Post by Atticus »

Alessandra wrote: People trying to misconstrue what he [Moore] said are pathetic, and this whole PC thing is well beyond pathetic, too.
Bond not being black has nothing to do with racism and everything to do with the fact that him being a WASP is a DEFINING trait of the character and it DETERMINES who the character is because of his education, background etc. So people need to get the hell over it and they also need to stop using the word racism where it doesn't apply.
This argument for a black Bond seems to be gaining momentum. Reading the readers's comments in the Daily Mail cover of this Moore fiasco, I'd say there are many negative comments about Moore and a lot of positive things about a black Bond and Idris Elba. Such is the state of public consciousness. The PC tribunal has done a great job of indoctrinating the masses. Of course, the tribunal would call me a racist for making such statements. Speaking of which...a friend pointed me to this article (http://thisisinfamous.com/black-bond-ja ... not-white/) that advocates a black Bond; but what I found interesting was how the writer supports his argument.

His logic goes something like this: Bond, the fictional character, can easily be portrayed as a black man because there is no solid foundation in the Fleming books to make him permanently a white guy. (Right away, he's already harking back to that old academic leftist theory of deconstructionism.) You see, Fleming and Conan Doyle and all those other dead white male writers of a certain time in history had no idea what they were doing. They were conditioned to write about white heroes because it's just how they viewed heroes at that time, and this is just the after effects of colonialism, western imperialism, etc. By implication, those of us who just happen to be white, well, we need to be ashamed of our western heritage. Such thinking is straight out of the leftist/progressive mindset. Excerpts:

"For the longest time (and I’m talking about since the inception of Penny Dreadfuls and Pulp Literature right on up to as recently as the late 20th century), heroes and lead protagonists were white not because their creators intended them to be that way but only because “white” was synonymous with being a leader, heroic and slack jawed while “black” was relegated to being lower class and “bad.” James Bond, Sherlock Holmes, The Shadow, Doc Savage, Allan Quatermain, Philip Marlowe, Batman, Superman… all were prototypes for the modern hero and they were all white because that’s how people viewed their protagonists during the eras of white colonialism, segregation and racial injustice. Their skin colors were not intrinsic to who they were as characters. They were simply “white” because that was how we viewed our heroes at the time."

"...I’ll leave you with this, possibly the most important point I can make about Fleming’s James Bond. He was a product of a post WWII, post British colonial mindset and was an almost fetishized fantasy derived from Fleming’s old-fashioned imagination. It was also Fleming’s attempt to create a British Mike Hammer."

"And you cannot keep that character [Bond] trapped within an eternal time capsule when the world has progressed and changed around him. So bring on an Asian Doc Savage, a Latino Bruce Wayne and, ultimately, a black James Bond."
The Saint 007
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me, A View To A Kill, Goldfinger, GoldenEye, For Your Eyes Only, Moonraker, Octopussy, Thunderball

Post by The Saint 007 »

This matter regarding Moore is being blown ridiculously out of proportion. There wasn't anything racist or wrong with what he said. Hell, the PC brigade is saying a lot worse things about Moore. They don't even bother to consider all the work he has done for charity. He constructively gave his opinion, and they freak out because it's not the answer they want to hear. Then why bother asking Moore to share his thoughts at all?
ml94
Single O
Favorite Bond Movie: GOLDFINGER, FOR YOUR EYES ONLY, THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS, GOLDENEYE.
Favorite Movies: T2 & THE DARK KNIGHT.

Post by ml94 »

Simply: JAMES BOND IS NOT BLACK. :007:
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Daltonite Toothpaste wrote:Series 26 is my favourite series of Doctor Who, with my favourite Doctor. And this trailer was fitting for the Craig era as a whole, dreary.
Kristatos wrote:McCoy's final two seasons are one of my favourite eras of the show too. The 1989 reference was to its treatment by the BBC, culminating in its cancellation.
What I hate about the last few classic series is beside how obvious it was the shoestring budget was reduced even further, you could just feel the BBC wanted to kill the series. Quite honestly the heads were embarrassed by it, for whatever reason they couldn't realise the cultural icon they had on their hands let alone the coming global obsession with Doctor Who.

As much as some fans trash the Syl Doc series, the innovations were used in the news series, as well as from the TVM.

Especially the last two series I thought Sly Doc was doing some interesting stories. I can watched just about any of the classic series (for me third doctor on) enjoying them immensely, recently I tired to rewatch the new series from the start I never finished series1, Aliens of London caused me to pack it in. I realised since the re-start of the series I had only rewatched a few hand picked episodes each series, ignoring much of the childish RTD antics.

So thanks RTD and Christopher for helping bring the series back 10 years ago... I just wished you made a few more shows that could stand next to the classic series and a few less fart jokes and magic solutions. Also if you are reading this ' Love and Monsters' is absolute rubbish. Dodged a bullet on that one Christopher.
Count_Lippe
Agent

Post by Count_Lippe »

Omega wrote:I still don't get what English English is supposed to mean . I don't jump to the conclusion it racist as too many have .
You don't get what English English is supposed to mean? It means English of white ethnicity... not about not being Scottish, Irish or what ever that Alessandra said.

James Bond is of white ethnicity, his ethnicity should not be non-European.

Idris Elba is of African ethnicity living in England and therefore he is not English English, he is African English.
Veronica
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love,GoldenEye,The Spy Who Loved Me,Goldfinger,Dr.No
Favorite Movies: After the Sunset,The Devil Wears Prada,The Thomas Crown Affair,To Catch a Thief,Midnight in Paris,North by Northwest, Purple Noon, La piscine.

Post by Veronica »

ml94 wrote:Simply: JAMES BOND IS NOT BLACK. :007:
That's true.The thing is I don't understand why some people think how it's racist to say that Bond is not black.That's a fact.I don't what would be shown with casting a black actor to play Bond.Didn't people proof how they have nothing against blacks when they choosed Obama as American president?IKanye West is supporting Idris since he thinks how black people don't get enpough respect,hey Kanye if you wanted repect maybe you shouldn't have married a Kardashian.
Veronica
Agent

Post by Veronica »

The Saint 007 wrote:This matter regarding Moore is being blown ridiculously out of proportion. There wasn't anything racist or wrong with what he said. Hell, the PC brigade is saying a lot worse things about Moore. They don't even bother to consider all the work he has done for charity. He constructively gave his opinion, and they freak out because it's not the answer they want to hear. Then why bother asking Moore to share his thoughts at all?
I personally find it fishy when he was praising Craig as the best Bond ever.I mean,he played Bond for 7 movies if he doesn't know what Bond should be no one does.I mean,Moore played it on the charm and Craig and charm cannot go into the same sentence.And all this is just ridiculous..
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

You won't believe this :!: -----Image Image Image Image Spot the difference! Daniel Craig's body double films dramatic helicopter fight wearing prosthetic mask... as the Bond actor stays safely on firm ground :!:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

bjmdds wrote:You won't believe this :!:
Yeah, an actor using a stunt double is positively unheard of in the history of cinema.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

The fake mask Kris.........the fake mask looks ridiculous :!:
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Daltonite Toothpaste
Single O
Favorite Bond Movie: The Living Daylights, Licence To Kill, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, From Russia With Love, Tomorrow Never Dies & For Your Eyes Only.
Favorite Movies: American Mary, Deadlier Than The Male, Dracula, Saved, The Big Sleep, The French Connection, Under The Sand

Post by Daltonite Toothpaste »

Blowfeld wrote:
Daltonite Toothpaste wrote:Series 26 is my favourite series of Doctor Who, with my favourite Doctor. And this trailer was fitting for the Craig era as a whole, dreary.
Kristatos wrote:McCoy's final two seasons are one of my favourite eras of the show too. The 1989 reference was to its treatment by the BBC, culminating in its cancellation.
What I hate about the last few classic series is beside how obvious it was the shoestring budget was reduced even further, you could just feel the BBC wanted to kill the series. Quite honestly the heads were embarrassed by it, for whatever reason they couldn't realise the cultural icon they had on their hands let alone the coming global obsession with Doctor Who.

As much as some fans trash the Syl Doc series, the innovations were used in the news series, as well as from the TVM.

Especially the last two series I thought Sly Doc was doing some interesting stories. I can watched just about any of the classic series (for me third doctor on) enjoying them immensely, recently I tired to rewatch the new series from the start I never finished series1, Aliens of London caused me to pack it in. I realised since the re-start of the series I had only rewatched a few hand picked episodes each series, ignoring much of the childish RTD antics.

So thanks RTD and Christopher for helping bring the series back 10 years ago... I just wished you made a few more shows that could stand next to the classic series and a few less fart jokes and magic solutions. Also if you are reading this ' Love and Monsters' is absolute rubbish. Dodged a bullet on that one Christopher.
The Beeb were trying to choke the budget out of the show, but I don't think it was as noticeable during series 26, due to the ammount of location (rather than studio) filming. And the writing improved greatly with series 26.
Blofeld, are you not a fan of the first two Doctors? Hartnell was ok, but Troughton is one of my favourites. Does anyone buy the audio books, and what do you think of them? I do buy them, but I stick to only the 7th Doctor ones.