The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
dirtybenny
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love and all the Connery films
Favorite Movies: Dirty Harry, Bullitt, The Sting, LA Confidential, The Maltese Falcon, and The Big Sleep

Re: The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

Post by dirtybenny »

Good point Count it could, but then for all the information we're given in that brief scene, it could be Spain. The point is, it seems awfully presumptive of these folks to declare this is "Bond's fourth trip to Mexico".
The Rouge Warrior, On Hermaphrodite's Secret Service Image
Count_Lippe
Agent

Post by Count_Lippe »

This is probably where they got it all from though, GF, DAF and LTK... even if calling it "trips to Mexico" is stretching it somewhat. :lol:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Count_Lippe wrote:This is probably where they got it all from though, GF, DAF and LTK... even if calling it "trips to Mexico" is stretching it somewhat. Image
I looked on Wikipedia. The list of James Bond locations is divided into a list of where the films are set and a separate list of filming locations, since the two don't, of course, always match. The former list gives the poppy farm in GF as being in Mexico, while the latter mentions LTK and QOS as having been filmed there. So, I guess they got the "fourth trip to Mexico" thing by combining the two.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

Trailer for SP-ECH-TRE: [video][/video] This is Alfred Hitchcock-ian to say the least.....go see MI:5 and UNCLE, not this psychologically morose hobgoblin as Bond :!:
Atticus
Lieutenant

Post by Atticus »

bjmdds wrote:Trailer for SP-ECH-TRE:
This is Alfred Hitchcock-ian to say the least.....go see MI:5 and UNCLE, not this psychologically morose hobgoblin as Bond :!:
That's it? Very weak. It felt like a soap opera, like a sneak peek of next season's Days Of Our Lives or whatever soap opera is in vogue these days. No action sequences shown, which suggests they want to emphasize that this is sooooo character driven in all of the emoism of Craig's Bond and his little orphan Annie childhood. The bit at the end with Christoph Waltz (it sounded like his voice) presented as a shadow figure and saying "Welcome James, it's been a long time..." is so corny. Craig's mug, in the limited but harsh lighting in those darkly lit scenes, only emphasize his crags, making him look like a skeleton. Naomi Harris's accent is irritating, and the reference to Skyfall is the breaking point. The series has truly run out of energy. They need to reboot this whole thing with a new actor.
Atticus
Lieutenant

Post by Atticus »

Count_Lippe wrote:Isn't the pre-credits scene in GF supposed to be somewhere in Mexico?

But it wasn't shot on location of course.

:lol:
The novel Goldfinger begins with Bond at the Miami airport, thinking about a mission he had just completed in Mexico City. It's all in flashback narrative, as Bond thinks about the Meixcan guy he had killed. I always thought the locale of the pre-credits of the film version was a vague allusion to that Mexican setting. Yeah, it looks like it was all shot within Pinewood Studios.
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Atticus wrote:
bjmdds wrote:Trailer for SP-ECH-TRE:
This is Alfred Hitchcock-ian to say the least.....go see MI:5 and UNCLE, not this psychologically morose hobgoblin as Bond :!:
That's it? Very weak. It felt like a soap opera, like a sneak peek of next season's Days Of Our Lives or whatever soap opera is in vogue these days. No action sequences shown, which suggests they want to emphasize that this is sooooo character driven in all of the emoism of Craig's Bond and his little orphan Annie childhood. The bit at the end with Christoph Waltz (it sounded like his voice) presented as a shadow figure and saying "Welcome James, it's been a long time..." is so corny. Craig's mug, in the limited but harsh lighting in those darkly lit scenes, only emphasize his crags, making him look like a skeleton. Naomi Harris's accent is irritating, and the reference to Skyfall is the breaking point. The series has truly run out of energy. They need to reboot this whole thing with a new actor.
First things first, Babs needs to go. Otherwise, the traditional classic tall dark-hair Bond is best left as a relic of the past.
Barry Niven
Lieutenant

Post by Barry Niven »

Atticus wrote: That's it? Very weak. It felt like a soap opera, like a sneak peek of next season's Days Of Our Lives or whatever soap opera is in vogue these days. No action sequences shown, which suggests they want to emphasize that this is sooooo character driven in all of the emoism of Craig's Bond and his little orphan Annie childhood. The bit at the end with Christoph Waltz (it sounded like his voice) presented as a shadow figure and saying "Welcome James, it's been a long time..." is so corny. Craig's mug, in the limited but harsh lighting in those darkly lit scenes, only emphasize his crags, making him look like a skeleton. Naomi Harris's accent is irritating, and the reference to Skyfall is the breaking point. The series has truly run out of energy. They need to reboot this whole thing with a new actor.
If I may quote a REAL Action Hero^, this is what he would've said to this inert lump of pretentious drivel:
"You make sounds like you're a mean little ass-kicker, only I ain't convinced. You keep talkin', I''m gonna take your head off."

So Mr. White is back after all? What happened to that actor's dramatic departure after denouncing both his films (CR/QoS) as really $#!+? Oh right: Money talks and bull$#!+ walks. Also, I don't like this "Moneypenny" and never have (or any of the others who weren't Lois Maxwell, but that's besides the point). Actually, I HATE her annoying accent, tacky hairstyle and wishy-washy attitude of "field work's not for me/yes it is/no it isn't". But given this "progressive" PC-mindset that brought about her ridiculous miscasting, I'm not allowed to openly voice my dislike because (as the infamous internet meme will decry) "THAT'S RACIST!" so therefore what I feel has no merit in such an "enlightened" New Age of All-Inclusive Tolerance.

Of course, the dumbest part is how they think this story is soooo Bold as Cutting-Edge Drama in going where James Bond has never gone before by pitting him against an Eeeevil Foster Brother who resents Our Hero because EFB's own Daddy preferred Craggy as his "favorite" son over EFB. Which smacks as a blatant rehash of the Esteemed Sam Mendes' film version of Road To Perdition in which Craggy played Paul Newman's Real *Bad* Son who was ignored and disrespected in favor of Tom Hanks' *Good* Foster Son. AND a "Serious", "Improved" version of Austin Powers' reveal that Austin and Dr. Evil were brothers all along (assuming Christophe Waltz's Villain IS "New-Blofeld" beneath his alias of Franz Whachamacallit instead of a Number 2 Surrogate meant to delay the arrival of the actual unseen-Blofeld).

Is this really the best they can come up with? Seriously? What a steaming pile of horse-crap.

^ - The one and only Charles Bronson as Mr. Majestyk. What a great flick.
ml94
Single O
Favorite Bond Movie: GOLDFINGER, FOR YOUR EYES ONLY, THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS, GOLDENEYE.
Favorite Movies: T2 & THE DARK KNIGHT.

Post by ml94 »

Craig SUCKS!
The Sweeney
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, GF, LTK, CR, FRWL
Favorite Movies: Bullitt, The Long Good Friday, The Towering Inferno, Jaws, Rocky, Superman the Movie, McVicar, Goodfellas, Get Carter, Three Days of the Condor, Butch & Sundance, The Sting, All the Presidents Men

Post by The Sweeney »

Have to say the trailer didn't really grab me. I'm really getting bored of the whole Bond on a personal mission....again!
I can't understand why people are falling all over themselves with this trailer. I found it a bit dull, not that intriguing, and yes, it needed at least one or 2 shots of some action.

I don't like how they are linking SPECTRE to Bond's past too. This has absolutely nothing to do with Fleming, and they are rewriting the history of the books.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

The Sweeney wrote: I can't understand why people are falling all over themselves with this trailer.
Because outside this forum, Bond fandom will squee over any old s**t that's put out under the Bond name. It's at the opposite end of the spectrum to Doctor Who fandom, which is equally quick to declare that every new trailer or announcement spells the death of the show, 1989 all over again etc.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Less talky version of the trailer:
Daltonite Toothpaste
Single O
Favorite Bond Movie: The Living Daylights, Licence To Kill, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, From Russia With Love, Tomorrow Never Dies & For Your Eyes Only.
Favorite Movies: American Mary, Deadlier Than The Male, Dracula, Saved, The Big Sleep, The French Connection, Under The Sand

Post by Daltonite Toothpaste »

Series 26 is my favourite series of Doctor Who, with my favourite Doctor. And this trailer was fitting for the Craig era as a whole, dreary.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

McCoy's final two seasons are one of my favourite eras of the show too. The 1989 reference was to its treatment by the BBC, culminating in its cancellation.
The Saint 007
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me, A View To A Kill, Goldfinger, GoldenEye, For Your Eyes Only, Moonraker, Octopussy, Thunderball

Post by The Saint 007 »

Atticus wrote:That's it? Very weak. It felt like a soap opera, like a sneak peek of next season's Days Of Our Lives or whatever soap opera is in vogue these days. No action sequences shown, which suggests they want to emphasize that this is sooooo character driven in all of the emoism of Craig's Bond and his little orphan Annie childhood. The bit at the end with Christoph Waltz (it sounded like his voice) presented as a shadow figure and saying "Welcome James, it's been a long time..." is so corny. Craig's mug, in the limited but harsh lighting in those darkly lit scenes, only emphasize his crags, making him look like a skeleton. Naomi Harris's accent is irritating, and the reference to Skyfall is the breaking point. The series has truly run out of energy. They need to reboot this whole thing with a new actor.
I jokingly refer to the Craig films as Days Of Our Bond. The fact that there is at least a three to four year wait between films, also makes Craig's espionage soap opera even more tedious. As I've said here before, I personally don't care for origin stories, I just rather see Bond go on an adventurous mission and battle cool villains. But if the filmmakers absolutely insist on getting into Bond's backstory, they could at least try to do it in a more effectively compelling manner. They're now on the forth film, and what they've managed to accomplish with Craig's Bond so far, most superhero films do that (and possibly more) in one. But it was already clear with Quantum Of Solace that they really don't know where to go with this new direction. The whole reboot seems like a knee-jerk reaction to just get aboard the reboot bandwagon with everyone else in Hollywood.
Veronica
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love,GoldenEye,The Spy Who Loved Me,Goldfinger,Dr.No
Favorite Movies: After the Sunset,The Devil Wears Prada,The Thomas Crown Affair,To Catch a Thief,Midnight in Paris,North by Northwest, Purple Noon, La piscine.

Post by Veronica »

shaken not stirred wrote:
Kristatos wrote:
Napoleon Solo wrote:SPECTRE teaser trailer coming Friday evening.

I can barely contain my excitement. I do hope it contains brief, 2-second flashes of completed footage with a "WHOMPPP!" between each one, followed by a quick burst of the James Bond theme.
It's going to be a crappy overrated horrible trailer that no doubt the public will lap up and call a masterpiece...god I hate this so called era of bond where being dull, unfun, too serious and soap opery is somehow supposed to pass as entertainment...

On another topic, back from seeing Vice President of NIckelodeon Tim Patterson, got some great ideas and real food for thought from him (and showed him My ideas as well which he really liked). I really enjoyed it there.
Agreed.The whole thing now with Craig just makes me sick.
Veronica
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love,GoldenEye,The Spy Who Loved Me,Goldfinger,Dr.No
Favorite Movies: After the Sunset,The Devil Wears Prada,The Thomas Crown Affair,To Catch a Thief,Midnight in Paris,North by Northwest, Purple Noon, La piscine.

Post by Veronica »

The Saint 007 wrote:
Atticus wrote:That's it? Very weak. It felt like a soap opera, like a sneak peek of next season's Days Of Our Lives or whatever soap opera is in vogue these days. No action sequences shown, which suggests they want to emphasize that this is sooooo character driven in all of the emoism of Craig's Bond and his little orphan Annie childhood. The bit at the end with Christoph Waltz (it sounded like his voice) presented as a shadow figure and saying "Welcome James, it's been a long time..." is so corny. Craig's mug, in the limited but harsh lighting in those darkly lit scenes, only emphasize his crags, making him look like a skeleton. Naomi Harris's accent is irritating, and the reference to Skyfall is the breaking point. The series has truly run out of energy. They need to reboot this whole thing with a new actor.
I jokingly refer to the Craig films as Days Of Our Bond. The fact that there is at least a three to four year wait between films, also makes Craig's espionage soap opera even more tedious. As I've said here before, I personally don't care for origin stories, I just rather see Bond go on an adventurous mission and battle cool villains. But if the filmmakers absolutely insist on getting into Bond's backstory, they could at least try to do it in a more effectively compelling manner. They're now on the forth film, and what they've managed to accomplish with Craig's Bond so far, most superhero films do that (and possibly more) in one. But it was already clear with Quantum Of Solace that they really don't know where to go with this new direction. The whole reboot seems like a knee-jerk reaction to just get aboard the reboot bandwagon with everyone else in Hollywood.

You said it :!: :!: watching these so called "Bond movies" I fell like I'm wathicn some movie like "Taken" with Liam Neeson.There's nothing that says "Bond" anymore.Bond is not suave,collected,sophistcated or charming.He's a generic action hero that can be found in million other movies from Hollywood.
Veronica
Agent

Post by Veronica »

The worst thing is that this guy who is just called Bond is supposed to be emotional and yet Daniel Craig with his stone facial expression does nothing for it.Plus,I don't freaking care about Bond's childhood.For me it's enough to know that his parent's died in climbing accident.I mean,now what?Another "personal" thing for Bond.They talk about it like it's a new thing.What about GoldenEye when his former friend whom was supposed to be dead turned out to be an enemy?
"For England,James?" "No,for me." What when that media baron killed Brosnan's ex lover?First and foremost,what about Elektra,the woman Bond came close to(not just in a physical way) and had to kill her.That was all personal and the producers didn't have to scream "Bond is personal NOW!" Lord.
CaptainLewis
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldeneye
O.H.M.S.S.
Favorite Movies: Alien & Aliens
Inception
The Shawshank Redemption
Pulp Fiction

Post by CaptainLewis »

I thought the trailer was well shot.

Not a fan of the cliched ominous!evil!birds! and the character in the shadows. They may as well be screaming, "IT'S BLOFELD!!!!!"

Kristatos, I love your Bowie profile picture.

And speaking of Classic Dr Who, I watched the Caves of Androzani for the first time. Such a brilliant episode. Arguably the best one ever made.
Count_Lippe
Agent

Post by Count_Lippe »

Atticus wrote:
Count_Lippe wrote:Isn't the pre-credits scene in GF supposed to be somewhere in Mexico?

But it wasn't shot on location of course.

:lol:
The novel Goldfinger begins with Bond at the Miami airport, thinking about a mission he had just completed in Mexico City. It's all in flashback narrative, as Bond thinks about the Meixcan guy he had killed. I always thought the locale of the pre-credits of the film version was a vague allusion to that Mexican setting. Yeah, it looks like it was all shot within Pinewood Studios.
Yes they obviously got the idea for the pre-credits scene from this, didn't Bond plant a thermite bomb in a factory or something and then he was assaulted by the mexican capungo and killed him in a street fight? It was a while since I read the novel GF but I think this is what happened in the flashback.