The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Re: The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

Post by Omega »

bjmdds wrote:Harrison Ford’s plane crashes into Los Angeles golf course: Image The 72-year-old actor was reportedly flying over the Penmar Golf Course in Venice Thursday when his yellow, vintage aircraft crash landed into the green. TMZ reported that he suffered multiple gashes to his head and was bleeding.
I hadn't heard all the details . Nice plane

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
............ :007:
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

Alessandra
Pam Bouvier
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr No, Goldfinger, Goldeneye, Tomorrow Never Dies, The World is Not Enough, License to Kill, The Spy Who Loved Me.
Favorite Movies: Sabrina (the original), To Catch a Thief, Charade, High Society, Indiscreet. More recent: The Blind Side, Top Gun, Jerry Maguire, Someone Like You, Wolverine, Spy Game, Miami Vice, Fantastic Four, No Reservations, The Wedding Date, 27 Dresses, How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days, The Devil Wears Prada

Post by Alessandra »

The Sweeney wrote:I must admit, I'm a bit baffled with this direction of SPECTRE. Why do we have to revisit Bond's childhood again? It was rather dull in SF, and makes no sense why they are pushing further down this route.

It has nothing to do with Fleming, just an interpretation of something Fleming wrote as a throwaway line.

They still have many unused scenes and stories from the Fleming novels. Give me another writer like Maibaum any day of the week, someone who understood the novels, and tapped into them and borrowed them whenever he could, whether it was scenes, moments or characters. He was particularly good at this from FYEO right the way through to LTK.

Couldn't we hear that SPECTRE was using some previously unused Fleming material, instead of this childhood crap...?
Agreed completely.
The problem with this is that when you have a director who is NOT a James Bond expert, let alone an actual fan, and someone who thin
ks so highly of themselves as a director, then they want, you know "their own story" as opposed to an actual story that is faithful to the spirit and intention of the person who actually created it, and that's Fleming.

I expected this and worse... Not that it changes anything for me. As long as Craig is Bond, there's no James Bond for me. What irritates me is this constant attempt to destroy the actual characteristics of the Bond movies. But, this may be their last try. People are sick and tired of this crap, and the script per NOVEMBER emails between Sony executives, is TRULY bad. So I think that this time they will pay the price in money for it. And it's the only way they're gonna learn the lesson.

In this sense? It's a great thing that Man From U.N.C.L.E. is released well before. Because people WILL go see it and they WILL enjoy it and its approach that is FAR less bulls**t-y (excuse me for the term) than this one. So it could mean even lower box office income from them, cause word of mouth travels FAST.
"Are we on coms?"
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

To my mind it does not matter at this juncture who the director is, at this point the script is the problem. If we grab any half competent action director the proceed to hand him this drivel it comes back to the same problem.
However compounding the problem is this director in conjunction with the star thinks this rubbish makes for good 007.

There were parts of DAD that were the director choice and distinctly attributable to the success of the Matrix movies, then I argue there were problems with the script (nothing that could not be fixed if they had the mind to), nothing that Pierce himself put upon the production as a requirement. Skyfall touching on Bond's sad orphan history in more detail than the brief passing mention in CR was lamentable. This is distinctly un-Fleming. Admittedly the movie series has the loosest of association to the claim 'Flemingesque', however this is distinctly a violation of the trust Ian placed in the producers all those years ago.

I would be willing to give Daniel a pass on much of this if he had not felt the compulsion to claim credit for many aspect of the NuBond I find objectionable.
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

This film will be a quick 2 weekends of interest and a rapid drop off after that. I would be shocked if it's reception by the critics is not luke warm at best, with a lot of negative criticism of Eon, Cr-egg and Mendes' direction with Bond. Look for a yearning for the days of the invisible car, as opposed to exploring the toilet training habits of a young orphaned James Bond, and his relationship with a jealous roommate during his formative years as an adolescent. :down: : :^o): :cuss:
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

I hope you guys are seeing this.

[video][/video]
kater23
Moneypenny
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger,Living Daylights
Favorite Movies: Animal House, Star Wars(original recipe)

Post by kater23 »

New Season of Hannibal. June 4th. Yes, it should go in the Hannibal thread in Shrublands but I wonder how often that thread gets checked? :lol:
I have no time for No Time To Die :lol:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Atticus wrote:
Omega wrote: Great the opening can be young bond being abused

That would be obviously extreme, and I'd like to think Eon still has enough taste not to go down that path. Then again, they did throw in a rape scene near the end of QOS where the idiotic Latin American general, Menendez or Medrano or whatever the hell he is called, attacks a young woman while explosions were going on, a useless scene that doesn't advance his character in any way because we were already told he's an evil guy.
But I think public tastes have changed since QOS was made. At the time, the Dark Knight trilogy was what every franchise aspired to be. Since then, we've seen Man of Steel perform worse than expected and Guardians of the Galaxy perform better than anybody expected. There are two films this year (Kingsman and The Man from UNCLE) that are explicitly marketing themselves as filling the gap for fun, colourful spy movies that Bond has vacated. I think even EON, as behind the curve as they usually are these days, would find it hard to ignore this change in the zeitgeist. What's more, the reaction to Mendes's comments seems to be fairly negative, even among those who had previously declared Craig to be the best thing since sliced bread. I wouldn't be surprised to see the SPECTRE publicity machine trying to walk them back in the very near future.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Atticus
Lieutenant

Post by Atticus »

Kristatos wrote:
Atticus wrote:

That would be obviously extreme, and I'd like to think Eon still has enough taste not to go down that path. Then again, they did throw in a rape scene near the end of QOS where the idiotic Latin American general, Menendez or Medrano or whatever the hell he is called, attacks a young woman while explosions were going on, a useless scene that doesn't advance his character in any way because we were already told he's an evil guy.
But I think public tastes have changed since QOS was made. At the time, the Dark Knight trilogy was what every franchise aspired to be. Since then, we've seen Man of Steel perform worse than expected and Guardians of the Galaxy perform better than anybody expected. I wouldn't be surprised to see the SPECTRE publicity machine trying to walk them back in the very near future.
Good points, Kristatos, and thanks for the interesting discussion. I agree about the shift in the mood of the public. Eon and Mendes, though, don't seem to give a hoot. They're just adamant to have a Bond film regarded with "artistic" credibility, and the recent comments from Mendes about the childhood angle just reeks of more desperation to go down that path.
There are two films this year (Kingsman and The Man from UNCLE) that are explicitly marketing themselves as filling the gap for fun, colourful spy movies that Bond has vacated. I think even EON, as behind the curve as they usually are these days, would find it hard to ignore this change in the zeitgeist. What's more, the reaction to Mendes's comments seems to be fairly negative, even among those who had previously declared Craig to be the best thing since sliced bread. I wouldn't be surprised to see the SPECTRE publicity machine trying to walk them back in the very near future.
Regarding Eon being "behind the curve": that's an apt description of one of the problems they've always had. When you look at Moonraker, jumping on that sci-fi bandwagon was already a bit late for them since the sci-fi craze of the late 70's was already waning. So here we are with SPECTRE, and I think they're hosed. It's certainly hard for them to ignore the reaction to Kingsman and the UNCLE trailer, but they've been shooting a Bond movie in the vein of "deep" and "serious", so I don't see how the PR machine can spin the final outcome as a fun escapist spy adventure like Kingsman. It's a bit like trying to market Silence of the Lambs as a light-hearted action film when it's obviously not. It won't surprise me if their PR message is something like, "Oh with the style of Kingsman, we've pioneered that. But we're way beyond that now. With the devastatingly brilliant Daniel Craig, the only actor to ever redefine acting for his generation, and the Shakespearean Sam Mendes, we're able to take Bond into a deeper artistic direction that's so rooted in Fleming." Whether the public (in the new sentiment today as you point out) will buy that crap is another matter.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

I don't think they'll try to spin it as being in the vein of Kingsman, but they might have a word in Mendes's shell-like and tell him to stop sounding like such a luvvie.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Daltonite Toothpaste
Single O
Favorite Bond Movie: The Living Daylights, Licence To Kill, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, From Russia With Love, Tomorrow Never Dies & For Your Eyes Only.
Favorite Movies: American Mary, Deadlier Than The Male, Dracula, Saved, The Big Sleep, The French Connection, Under The Sand

Post by Daltonite Toothpaste »

That is like asking a bird not to fly.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Or Cr-egg not to be a lout.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

Post by Omega »

Kristatos wrote:
Atticus wrote:

But I think public tastes have changed since QOS was made. At the time, the Dark Knight trilogy was what every franchise aspired to be. Since then, we've seen Man of Steel perform worse than expected and Guardians of the Galaxy perform better than anybody expected. There are two films this year (Kingsman and The Man from UNCLE) that are explicitly marketing themselves as filling the gap for fun, colourful spy movies that Bond has vacated. I think even EON, as behind the curve as they usually are these days, would find it hard to ignore this change in the zeitgeist. What's more, the reaction to Mendes's comments seems to be fairly negative, even among those who had previously declared Craig to be the best thing since sliced bread. I wouldn't be surprised to see the SPECTRE publicity machine trying to walk them back in the very near future.
man I'd like to think you are right. Adventure movies made a huge comeback since the serious dark and gritty phase was big. Marvel reshaped the current land scape and the Bourne movies are drifting into the past.
The over serious Spider-Man reboot is running out of steam, superman reboot I enjoyed but hasn't touched the original movies success.
Bond leaving the stage as fun escapism opened the door for other s to step up . Sherlock Holmes movies , then ironman where the director said flat out the cool guy in a tux with gadgets was gone so we brought him back as tony stark.
Maybe eon noticed and tried to correct it with sf but even there they managed to get it wrong but succeed anyway.

It will seriously take a major flop for them to say oops we had it wrong people want to enjoy watching bond and leave with a smile on their face even if it is nonsense.
The problem with Craig is they act like they are making serious movies and that they have a real story to tell about the poor orphaned boy named bond . Remember there was going to be vespers orphaned child bond would find in Qos? That the kind of crap eon is stuck on.

shaken not stirred
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldeneye, the spy who loved Me, the world is not enough, goldfinger, live and let die.
Favorite Movies: Iron man,Iron man 2, avengers, goldeneye, dark city, back to the future, live and let die.

Post by shaken not stirred »

FormerBondFan wrote:I hope you guys are seeing this.

[video][/video]
That's looking very d**n impressive :).
Bond....James bond....Rest in peace (1964-2002)
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

I'm not sure about it. How big is Brosnans part

Daltonite Toothpaste
Single O
Favorite Bond Movie: The Living Daylights, Licence To Kill, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, From Russia With Love, Tomorrow Never Dies & For Your Eyes Only.
Favorite Movies: American Mary, Deadlier Than The Male, Dracula, Saved, The Big Sleep, The French Connection, Under The Sand

Post by Daltonite Toothpaste »

I thought that some of you Cavill fans would have reported this already:

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=43550

West has some action pedigree, so I guess this is in safe hands. As a fan of the books, I am happy to see this gaining traction.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

FBF, this trumps Brosnan's NM. Cavill is now Solo and Stratton in the espionage genre. Could Broccoli be realizing that Bond is next for him? :idea:
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

BJ you might as well forget it if Babs stays after DC leaves. Besides Henry will be too good for Bond.
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Alessandra wrote:As long as Craig is Bond, there's no James Bond for me.
Don't forget Babs. She's a real BIG problem. If she stays as producer after DC leaves, there's no point of watching James Bond anymore. Having her name listed as producer of post-DC Bond films starring a traditional classic tall and dark-haired Bond actor? Give me a F*CK*NG break! :x
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Can Broccoli even regain any credibility after what she has done? The plots are are sick as Cr-egg is as Bond, and SHE is the one behind it all, with her emasculinization and ruination of the francise. I cannot see the next film topping SF at the box office.