The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Re: The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

Post by bjmdds »

shaken not stirred wrote:Hey all been really busy but back with some sad news :( (R.I.P Spock (Leonard Nimoy) may you live long and propser up in heaven. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-31662024 :(

As for this new bond film more bond childhood trauma pass Me a sick bucket, it really needs the daddy didn't care song from austin powers 3 gold member now..oh the angst, what a joke and people will watch and defend this tripe... :|

It also looks like I won't be starting that animation assistant job for a fair while yet :( but will get the call when it's happening, I'm also going to see the vice president of Nickelodeon next month down in Camden office in London, showed him some of My work via email (drawings and animation), found him through a friend who used to work with My dad (she saw him at a football match with her kids), I really hope I can get something good out of this and I'll be chatting to him for an hour.
Think positively with gusto and hopefully the position will come Shaken. :up:
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

I wonder if Spock was able to record his next appearance on trek . I doubt it .

rIP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
............ :007:
Daltonite Toothpaste
Single O
Favorite Bond Movie: The Living Daylights, Licence To Kill, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, From Russia With Love, Tomorrow Never Dies & For Your Eyes Only.
Favorite Movies: American Mary, Deadlier Than The Male, Dracula, Saved, The Big Sleep, The French Connection, Under The Sand

Post by Daltonite Toothpaste »

Omega wrote:
Daltonite Toothpaste wrote:$156M taking on a $32M budget isn't anything to sniff at. It was enough for attentioon to be turned to Bond #17...

I don't know if Spectre can do Skyfall numbers (I believe Skyfall was helped greatly by the series' 50th anniversary), but no doubt it'll make EON happy.
I dunno. I like Dalton and ltk but what hurt it was that it ended in the red financially.
Did it, though? And how much extra did they spend. I am a big supporter of the Dalton era, but I am not naive enough to not see that LTK was, and still is, the lowest grossing Bond film. If EON took a loss, fair enough. But with without knowing what the real numbers were, i'll accept the $156M from $32M.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Daltonite Toothpaste wrote:
Omega wrote:
Daltonite Toothpaste wrote:$156M taking on a $32M budget isn't anything to sniff at. It was enough for attentioon to be turned to Bond #17...

I don't know if Spectre can do Skyfall numbers (I believe Skyfall was helped greatly by the series' 50th anniversary), but no doubt it'll make EON happy.
I dunno. I like Dalton and ltk but what hurt it was that it ended in the red financially.
Did it, though? And how much extra did they spend. I am a big supporter of the Dalton era, but I am not naive enough to not see that LTK was, and still is, the lowest grossing Bond film. If EON took a loss, fair enough. But with without knowing what the real numbers were, i'll accept the $156M from $32M.
No, QOS was the first Bond film ever to make a loss. But LTK's grosses were disappointing enough that Dalton himself has said that everyone wondered if it would be the last one.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Daltonite Toothpaste
Single O
Favorite Bond Movie: The Living Daylights, Licence To Kill, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, From Russia With Love, Tomorrow Never Dies & For Your Eyes Only.
Favorite Movies: American Mary, Deadlier Than The Male, Dracula, Saved, The Big Sleep, The French Connection, Under The Sand

Kristatos wrote:
Omega wrote:

No, QOS was the first Bond film ever to make a loss. But LTK's grosses were disappointing enough that Dalton himself has said that everyone wondered if it would be the last one.
Unless I am mistaken, Dalton was saying that LTK could be THE last Bond even before the film was released. I'm sure there's an interview where he admit to feeling that LTK will be the final Bond film.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

LTK was terribly received with $8.7 million opening weekend in the USA. People did not like the film then. I went opening weekend and it was not crowded in the theatres at all. Dalton almost did end the franchise but Brosnan resurrected it nicely in the public's eye 6 years later.
Daltonite Toothpaste
Single O

Out of the frying pan and into the fire, springs to mind.

From Roger Ebert:
On the basis of this second performance as Bond, Dalton can have the role as long as he enjoys it. He makes an effective Bond - lacking Sean Connery's grace and humor, and Roger Moore's suave self-mockery, but with a lean tension and a toughness that is possibly more contemporary. The major difference between Dalton and the earlier Bonds is that he seems to prefer action to sex. But then so do movie audiences, these days. "Licence to Kill" is one of the best of the recent Bonds.

He might not have had an audience like Brosnan did, but he wasn't universally hated either.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

The problem was not the movie or Dalton. It was when it was released. 1989 had some monster releases we are still talking about. Eon should of moved the release.

I do remember someone else saying Dalton had talked about it being the possibly the last, probably didn't help but it was competing against batman, lethal weapon, ghostbusters, dead poets, shrunk the kids, Indiana jones, it was in the worst possible place for release.

Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Btw while I enjoy the hell out of ltk I do admit there were some weak point the director and writer just didn't care. I think Dalton has said something similar.

Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Kristatos wrote:
Omega wrote:

i can't find the numbers but we used to have all the bond data on the true profit up to qos I think. I remember ltk being in the red according to what was posted.

bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Hinx in SP-ECHHH-Tre: Image Rome car chase scene: [video][/video]
Last edited by bjmdds on Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daltonite Toothpaste
Single O

If that's true with the numbers, then I concede.

About the weak points, I disagree that the Maibaum/MGW and/or Glenn didn't care. Though I do know that Glenn was more concerned with overseeing the action scenes, leaving Dalton to act as a sort of director to the actors. I believe that Dalton and Glenn didn't get along as well as they did on TLD. Look, I have no problem with Glenn's direction, the LTK tanker chase is one of the (if not THE) best staged action sequences in a Bond film, but I am glad that EON were shopping around for another director for Bond #17 (Dalton's 3rd). 5 films consecutively, is more than enough from any director. I do think that a new director, with a fresh style, working closely with Dalton, could have made Bond#17 a success.

EDIT
Hinx? Jinx.... are they even trying anymore?
shaken not stirred
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldeneye, the spy who loved Me, the world is not enough, goldfinger, live and let die.
Favorite Movies: Iron man,Iron man 2, avengers, goldeneye, dark city, back to the future, live and let die.

Post by shaken not stirred »

Thanks bjmdds I really hope it all goes well.
Bond....James bond....Rest in peace (1964-2002)
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

shaken not stirred wrote:Thanks bjmdds I really hope it all goes well.
:up: :martini:
Daltonite Toothpaste
Single O

bjmdds wrote:Image

The budget is $10M too high, LTK cost $32M, not $42. Where did those numbers (listed in that table) come from?
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

[video][/video]
Daltonite Toothpaste
Single O

Leiter: "Aren't you the fella who was shot?"
Bond: "No, i'm the fella who was missed."

A prescient exchange that would not have been out of place in the films.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Daltonite Toothpaste wrote:If that's true with the numbers, then I concede.

About the weak points, I disagree that the Maibaum/MGW and/or Glenn didn't care. Though I do know that Glenn was more concerned with overseeing the action scenes, leaving Dalton to act as a sort of director to the actors. I believe that Dalton and Glenn didn't get along as well as they did on TLD. Look, I have no problem with Glenn's direction, the LTK tanker chase is one of the (if not THE) best staged action sequences in a Bond film, but I am glad that EON were shopping around for another director for Bond #17 (Dalton's 3rd). 5 films consecutively, is more than enough from any director. I do think that a new director, with a fresh style, working closely with Dalton, could have made Bond#17 a success.

EDIT
Hinx? Jinx.... are they even trying anymore?
I found the numbers but was asked not to post them.
Ltk real cost was like $90 million total with p&a , of all the money earned the studio saw $60 million . These are not absolute doing this on my phone I going off mental notes.

Ltk made money about the time ge and Tnd came out.

But ltk did not kill bond. What I was told is the last 3 bond movies of the 80s were not making money for the studio when they left Theaters but they were slowly making money with the new home video market but the studio and investors were upset and had a show down with cubby over the profit sharing. That is why Dalton said what he did about it being the last movie.
They went from moonraker money to view to a kill dollars.

If Tnd had not made money up front it probably would of been the last bond movie.

IMHO ltk would have made a lot more if eon had paid attention to when it was released.

EDIT I was wrong TND was in the red too but did make money quickly.
Last edited by Omega on Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

bjmdds wrote:Image

The budget is $10M too high, LTK cost $32M, not $42. Where did those numbers (listed in that table) come from?
The numbers have the same or similar chart
http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/franchise/James-Bond