The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Re: The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

Post by Kristatos »

Yes, it's as sure as night follows day that every new Bond film will feature "a new kind of Bond girl".
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
John P. Drake
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No, From Russia With Love, Goldfinger, Thunderball, The Spy Who Loved Me, Moonraker, For Your Eyes Only, The Living Daylights, GoldenEye, Tomorrow Never Dies.

Post by John P. Drake »

I know in the novels, that the Bond Girls had character depth, but then again, it somehow becomes boring to see a supporting character serving a purpose of getting too much attention and involvement in story-wise. Vesper Lynd, Camille, M (Judi Dench), now Madeleine Swann, it gets tiresome. Surely not every Bond Girl is a femme fatale.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

From a writer's point of view, I'd say that every major character should advance the plot in some way.
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Pascal leaked email from 2013 said Idris Elba should be the next bond .

Strangelythe story also said Craig has one movie left in his contract sp. /bond 24 then went on to quote him that thing about wiping his ass with the contract
............ :007:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Omega wrote:
Strangelythe story also said Craig has one movie left in his contract
I think they meant one more movie after SPECTRE.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

That's what I thought but here is a cut and paste

“Idris should be the next Bond,” Sony Pictures chief Amy Pascal wrote nearly a year ago in an e-mail to Elizabeth Cantillon, a former executive vice president at Columbia Pictures.

The leaked e-mail, reported by the Daily Beast, is from a trove of private e-mails, salary reports and bits of script and rough footage swiped and released by hackers believed to be from North Korea.

Current Bond actor Daniel Craig is signed on to one more “James Bond” installment, “Spectre,” due out on Nov. 5, 2015.

But Craig has been trying to ditch the role since he agreed to star in the secret-agent flicks.

“I’ve been trying to get out of this from the very moment I got into it. But they won’t let me go, and I’ve agreed to do a couple more, but let’s see how this one does, because business is business, and if the s–t goes down, I’ve got a contract that somebody will happily wipe their ass with,” Craig told the Daily Beast in 2012.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

They like most don't have a clue
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

Pascal actually wants Elba? :fight: :fight: :fight: This is where the franchise officially ends :!: Even the Sweeney said he would abandon the franchise if that ever happened. Black Bond, black Moneypenny, and a black Leiter in the mind of Pascal. Fleming has officially been disgraced and this lunacy, and that is what it is, would result in Bruce Willis playing Kananga, The Big Show wrestler playing Tee Hee, and Beyonce becoming the new Solitaire :!: Madness :!: Did our Ms. Bouvier read Pascal's latest reveal? http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... -bond.html This is the cranium and bad hair that houses what's left of a moronic brain that chose Cr-egg to be Bond with Broccoli and now wants Elba to be the next Bond :!: : Image
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

I like Elba, at his age I'd like him better as m .
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Do you want him for Bond big O? Image FBF's prophecy may yet come true unless Pascal is fired. Image
The Sweeney
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, GF, LTK, CR, FRWL
Favorite Movies: Bullitt, The Long Good Friday, The Towering Inferno, Jaws, Rocky, Superman the Movie, McVicar, Goodfellas, Get Carter, Three Days of the Condor, Butch & Sundance, The Sting, All the Presidents Men

Post by The Sweeney »

bjmdds wrote:Pascal actually wants Elba? :fight: :fight: :fight: This is where the franchise officially ends :!: Even the Sweeney said he would abandon the franchise if that ever happened. Black Bond, black Moneypenny, and a black Leiter in the mind of Pascal. Fleming has officially been disgraced and this lunacy, and that is what it is, would result in Bruce Willis playing Kananga, The Big Show wrestler playing Tee Hee, and Beyonce becoming the new Solitaire :!: Madness :!: Did our Ms. Bouvier read Pascal's latest reveal? http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... -bond.html This is the cranium and bad hair that houses what's left of a moronic brain that chose Cr-egg to be Bond with Broccoli and now wants Elba to be the next Bond :!: : Image
I read this today too, with shock and horror. I would wash my hands of the franchise completely if this ever happened.

Utter disgrace!!! :evil:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Solitaire probably wasn't the best example to use, given that the makers of LALD originally wanted Diana Ross. But I agree. A black Leiter and Moneypenny don't bother me too much, but a black Bond would be a completely different character, with a different set of experiences, unless we are somehow expected to believe that he went through "Eton, Oxford and the Guards" without ever experiencing racism, or that years of being discriminated against somehow never affected his emotions or view of the world.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

Post by Omega »

IMO Elba is cool. I don't see him as bond . But
He has going for him as potential bad ass agent in his little finger than Craig has in his whole body,, but I don't see him as a real contender for Bond . In a way Craig set the bar so low literally anybody could do a better job. But they've over used the "shock" casting on moneypenny and felix leiter casting a black man as bond would feel it's about his race instead of his skill as an actor.

Eon has loved giving token roles for so long it'd make a real hire come off as a fake gesture.
The Saint 007
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me, A View To A Kill, Goldfinger, GoldenEye, For Your Eyes Only, Moonraker, Octopussy, Thunderball

Post by The Saint 007 »

It just proves that the film industry has run out of ideas if they think changing the ethnicity of characters is innovative. Like Sweeney said, I'm done with the series if they cast a black actor as Bond. If people want a black super spy character, then just make a whole new series instead of changing an established one.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Correct Saint. Let Hollywood create their own new action character, and choose whatever ethnicity they want, and see if it sells, but what Pascal's intentions are for a black Bond is mindless :!: Bruce Lee created his own persona on film and I am one of his biggest fans. He is an icon in that genre to this day and deservedly so :!:
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

The Sweeney wrote:
bjmdds wrote:Pascal actually wants Elba? :fight: :fight: :fight: This is where the franchise officially ends :!: Even the Sweeney said he would abandon the franchise if that ever happened. Black Bond, black Moneypenny, and a black Leiter in the mind of Pascal. Fleming has officially been disgraced and this lunacy, and that is what it is, would result in Bruce Willis playing Kananga, The Big Show wrestler playing Tee Hee, and Beyonce becoming the new Solitaire :!: Madness :!: Did our Ms. Bouvier read Pascal's latest reveal? http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... -bond.html This is the cranium and bad hair that houses what's left of a moronic brain that chose Cr-egg to be Bond with Broccoli and now wants Elba to be the next Bond :!: : Image
I read this today too, with shock and horror. I would wash my hands of the franchise completely if this ever happened.

Utter disgrace!!! :evil:
After a decade on opposite sides of the Cr-egg debate with you, we might become allies if Pascal gets her wish and we would both be done with this franchise for good. Most here are in hibernation mode mentally, just waiting for Cr-egg to leave and hoping he will be replaced by a proper looking Bond;however, if Elba gets the role, the insult to the traditional Bond community will be irreversible and I wonder what the prior 4 Bonds before Cr-egg would say then? :shock: Ale, wherefore art thou about this? :!: FBF, what say yee? What if Pascal promised Sharpton that she would guarantee that Elba would be the next Bond to make amends for her racist emails? :roll: :idea:
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Kristatos wrote:Solitaire probably wasn't the best example to use, given that the makers of LALD originally wanted Diana Ross. But I agree. A black Leiter and Moneypenny don't bother me too much, but a black Bond would be a completely different character, with a different set of experiences, unless we are somehow expected to believe that he went through "Eton, Oxford and the Guards" without ever experiencing racism, or that years of being discriminated against somehow never affected his emotions or view of the world.
Pascal must be an idiot to think such a casting would be a positive thing for the franchise. It goes to show us her mindset, first with Cr-egg looking different from the prior 5 Bonds and now considering another race altogether. I doubt Pascal ever watched any Bond films prior to 2006.
John P. Drake
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No, From Russia With Love, Goldfinger, Thunderball, The Spy Who Loved Me, Moonraker, For Your Eyes Only, The Living Daylights, GoldenEye, Tomorrow Never Dies.

Post by John P. Drake »

Idris Elba as Bond... yeah, how far will they go to push their idiotic politically correct agenda down people's throats? I, by all means, am not a racist, and will never be. But when you go "colour-blind" and ignore the heritages of the respective individuals be it a fictional character or a real-life human figure, that's where ignorance cries hard and dumb. Now, I understand the trick behind Nick Fury being black in the movies, because he's actually the real Nick Fury's son, used to be named Marcus Johnson, and takes over SHIELD when his father retires. But, if it is "the" James Bond they are going to paint in dark colour, then it's done for (is that news, anyway?).

I'll just sit back, relax, light my cigarette and enjoy the company of a 30 year old Fine Brandy with an overdose of Bon-bois, as I watch EON and Babs' empires fall to the ground.

And nice to see you, again, Sweeney. :cheers:
Daltonite Toothpaste
Single O
Favorite Bond Movie: The Living Daylights, Licence To Kill, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, From Russia With Love, Tomorrow Never Dies & For Your Eyes Only.
Favorite Movies: American Mary, Deadlier Than The Male, Dracula, Saved, The Big Sleep, The French Connection, Under The Sand

Post by Daltonite Toothpaste »

John P. Drake wrote:Idris Elba as Bond... yeah, how far will they go to push their idiotic politically correct agenda down people's throats? I, by all means, am not a racist, and will never be. But when you go "colour-blind" and ignore the heritages of the respective individuals be it a fictional character or a real-life human figure, that's where ignorance cries hard and dumb. Now, I understand the trick behind Nick Fury being black in the movies, because he's actually the real Nick Fury's son, used to be named Marcus Johnson, and takes over SHIELD when his father retires. But, if it is "the" James Bond they are going to paint in dark colour, then it's done for (is that news, anyway?).

I'll just sit back, relax, light my cigarette and enjoy the company of a 30 year old Fine Brandy with an overdose of Bon-bois, as I watch EON and Babs' empires fall to the ground.

At this point, I wouldn't rule anything out. Given how I feel towards the current era, a black Bond woudn't make much difference. I am not going to see another Bond on the big screen, unless there are major changes (and that does not mean casting a black actor as Bond). If EON want to cast a black actor in the lead, then they should make a film staring another 00. They can transfer over all the melodrama into that expanded series, and get Bond back to being classy spy thirllers like From Russia With Love and The Living Daylights.
The Sweeney
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, GF, LTK, CR, FRWL
Favorite Movies: Bullitt, The Long Good Friday, The Towering Inferno, Jaws, Rocky, Superman the Movie, McVicar, Goodfellas, Get Carter, Three Days of the Condor, Butch & Sundance, The Sting, All the Presidents Men

Post by The Sweeney »

John P. Drake wrote:Idris Elba as Bond... yeah, how far will they go to push their idiotic politically correct agenda down people's throats? I, by all means, am not a racist, and will never be. But when you go "colour-blind" and ignore the heritages of the respective individuals be it a fictional character or a real-life human figure, that's where ignorance cries hard and dumb. Now, I understand the trick behind Nick Fury being black in the movies, because he's actually the real Nick Fury's son, used to be named Marcus Johnson, and takes over SHIELD when his father retires. But, if it is "the" James Bond they are going to paint in dark colour, then it's done for (is that news, anyway?).

Cheers mate! :cheers:

I'm not sure how much weight Amy Rascal carries with EON and the franchise itself.
I'm sure Babs would overrule her with any ideas of who Bond should be, if it didn't fit in with her own vision. But if this kind of casting did happen, I would be done with the franchise. I'm ok with the modernisation, even with secondary characters changing their ethnicity, but changing Bond himself is one step too far for me.

As Kris said, how could you change Bond's background so dramatically, when he has been brought up in a very traditional, old English, Etonian, upper class background, who would never have experienced racism, and who was written as white.

I'm sure this may fit in with the modern day PC brigade, the feminists, the do-gooders, etc. but it doesn't fit in with me, and I guess most other Bond fans too. It's about time Pascal was fired......