The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Re: The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

Post by Omega »

bjmdds wrote:Maybe he went back in to see it again :!: Hollywoodreporter.com: Director Roger Donaldson's The November Man is getting a jump on the long Labor Day weekend by opening Wednesday and is projected to make $12 million in its six-day debut. The $20 million-plus movie was made by The Solution Entertainment Group, Palmstar Media Capital and Merced Media Partners, with Relativity Media acquiring U.S. rights for a reported $3 million.
Deadlines report
The August kings and leaders in the midweek box office are facing off against November Man, the spy thriller directed by Roger Donaldson and starring Pierce Brosnan. It opened last night to $862K, coming in No. 5 among the midweek numbers, but could come in the Top 3 this weekend as this summer winds to its end.

Relativity acquired November Man for roughly $3M and is expected to be a modest opening — somewhere in the $9M-$12M range the distributor hopes — as it swings into 2,750 theaters this weekend hoping to get interest from older audiences and make a little profit. It was produced via Irish Dreamtime and Das Films in association with The Solution Entertainment Group (which is overseeing international and Canadian distribution) as well as Palmstar Media Capital and Merced Media Partners.
............ :007:
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Daltonite Toothpaste wrote:
bjmdds wrote: This may well be the BEST spy/action/thriller film out this year, do not miss it."
Doesn't say much about the film, how many spy thrillers have there been this year? I would be surprised if this could do anywhere near Bond numbers, then again, maybe I am underestimating the Brosnan fanbase.
I don't think it can do Bond numbers the theater count and advertising are well below any Bond movie made in recent years.
I don't know about Brosnan or Craig's fan base, Bond is a movie that sells it self even if it is as bad as QOS. I don't see a movie in either actors non bond line up that says 70 million fans crossed over from Bond to their next movie.

IMO to be successful NM has to be as successful as a Taken, Expendables, or Bourne movie. Not too high a bar to reach IMO

One big story this year is the companies who make predictions are way off, I was reading how the predictions were so bad the studios were pissed they wasted money prompting movies that tanked based on bad predictions. They are also saying the way they prodict movies is too behind the times and the audience is on their smart phones and twitter deciding which movies they like and the Hollywood is too behind the times to keep up.
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

I don't know about you guys, but Hollywood is definitely ruining Pierce. He may be busy as always, but he doesn't the get the recognition he deserves either his talents are underused (his last 3 Bonds obviously and the likes of I Don't Know How She Does It, which by the way should be renamed as I Don't Know Why Pierce was cast In This Movie) or his works (even the great ones) are under radar (The Thomas Crown Affair, Evelyn, The Matador, The Ghost Writer, etc.). At least Tim is getting some recognition nowadays with Toy Story, Chuck and Penny Dreadful.
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

That's a low opening for sure. We will see what occurs over the weekend.
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

bjmdds wrote:That's a low opening for sure. We will see what occurs over the weekend.
I'm honestly impressed how many territories it's reaching.

If Pierce can launch a rival spy series even if it is smaller scale I believe it opens a world of possibilities for the 007 actors. This was not a point I was initially convicted of, after some persuasion I can see the possibilities.
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

bjmdds wrote:That's a low opening for sure. We will see what occurs over the weekend.
It seems that NM is another work of Pierce that ends up in the category of not-so-good reviews or don't get the recognition they deserve. At least NM has a lower budget so the sequel is still there to be made, and of course, Pierce showing his dark and brooding side that could have been seen in his Bonds if Babs gave him all freedom he needed. If NM getting bad reviews is bad enough, then I'm going to tell you that one of Pierce's upcoming thrillers will be directed by John Moore (Max Payne and A Day To Die Hard). Based on Moore's work, they're not that special to begin with, and that should explain why Die Hard 5 crashed critically.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Did you like it as much as GE FBF? Was it better than his other 3 Bond films?
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

bjmdds wrote:Did you like it as much as GE FBF? Was it better than his other 3 Bond films?
I need to see it again before I can rate.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

one is from the studio releasing NM and the other I think is from a prediction site.

Like I was saying the prediction are way off this year for everybody what I noticed is they give low estimates until the weekend of release too many this year had high expectation and blew it.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

"It received a B+ CinemaScore last night, which usually translates into a little over a 3 multiple. It is expected to be a modest opening — somewhere in the $9M-$12M range the distributor hopes — as it swings into 2,750 theaters this weekend hoping to get interest from older audiences and make a little profit"............"Audiences liked November Man better than critics, giving it a B+ CinemaScore. The film, getting an early jump on the long Labor Day holiday by opening Wednesday, hopes to earn $9 million to $12 million over the course of its six-day debut, although it may only end up at $10 million, based on Wednesday's number."
Daltonite Toothpaste
Single O
Favorite Bond Movie: The Living Daylights, Licence To Kill, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, From Russia With Love, Tomorrow Never Dies & For Your Eyes Only.
Favorite Movies: American Mary, Deadlier Than The Male, Dracula, Saved, The Big Sleep, The French Connection, Under The Sand

Post by Daltonite Toothpaste »

FormerBondFan wrote:I don't know about you guys, but Hollywood is definitely ruining Pierce. He may be busy as always, but he doesn't the get the recognition he deserves either his talents are underused (his last 3 Bonds obviously and the likes of I Don't Know How She Does It, which by the way should be renamed as I Don't Know Why Pierce was cast In This Movie) or his works (even the great ones) are under radar (The Thomas Crown Affair, Evelyn, The Matador, The Ghost Writer, etc.). At least Tim is getting some recognition nowadays with Toy Story, Chuck and Penny Dreadful.
Which has come after years of being looked upon as the Bond that almost killed the series. I have no ill feelings towards Brosnan, but I am glad that the tide has turned a bit in favour of Dalton. I can remember a time when saying that Dalton was my favourite Bond, I would be met with an expression of confusion (Dalton... who?) or horror (what... him?), but now that doesn't happen. I don't know if it's in any way because of the modern films, but it's happening and that's all that matters.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

NM: $1,691,474 2 day total. :shock:
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Daltonite Toothpaste wrote:Which has come after years of being looked upon as the Bond that almost killed the series. I have no ill feelings towards Brosnan, but I am glad that the tide has turned a bit in favour of Dalton. I can remember a time when saying that Dalton was my favourite Bond, I would be met with an expression of confusion (Dalton... who?) or horror (what... him?), but now that doesn't happen. I don't know if it's in any way because of the modern films, but it's happening and that's all that matters.
I think the audience of today would remember Tim for his recent roles. If he would've taken the part of Batfleck's butler, that would have been a major turning point for him. Instead, Jeremy Irons got it. Maybe its all for the best. Since he is linked with more Disney projects than any other Bonds, it wouldn't surprise me if he ends up in Marvel films. Besides, there are many people thinking that he would definitely fit the role of Tony Stark/Iron Man if he was younger.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

bjmdds wrote:NM: $1,691,474 2 day total. :shock:
not a bad total. I don't think it was in my area before today it definitely didn't have any showings here weds.

I can't make it tonight, I'm going Saturday night .
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Daltonite Toothpaste wrote:
FormerBondFan wrote:I don't know about you guys, but Hollywood is definitely ruining Pierce. He may be busy as always, but he doesn't the get the recognition he deserves either his talents are underused (his last 3 Bonds obviously and the likes of I Don't Know How She Does It, which by the way should be renamed as I Don't Know Why Pierce was cast In This Movie) or his works (even the great ones) are under radar (The Thomas Crown Affair, Evelyn, The Matador, The Ghost Writer, etc.). At least Tim is getting some recognition nowadays with Toy Story, Chuck and Penny Dreadful.
Which has come after years of being looked upon as the Bond that almost killed the series. I have no ill feelings towards Brosnan, but I am glad that the tide has turned a bit in favour of Dalton. I can remember a time when saying that Dalton was my favourite Bond, I would be met with an expression of confusion (Dalton... who?) or horror (what... him?), but now that doesn't happen. I don't know if it's in any way because of the modern films, but it's happening and that's all that matters.
I think Craig has helped the hard cases admit Daltons bond was actually pretty damned good.

IMO the critical praise for Re-Bourne-Bond movies has forced everyone who is even slightly critical of the reboot to look again at TLD & LTK and admit that's how you do a gritty bad ass bond correctly.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Omega wrote:
not a bad total. I don't think it was in my area before today it definitely didn't have any showings here weds.

I can't make it tonight, I'm going Saturday night .
So am I with friends.
Goldeneye
Site Admin

Post by Goldeneye »

November Man reviews thread is open, it's a global thread for now. I'll be dropping the Robin Williams thread down to the general discussion in a few days.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

"The November Man is now in third place and may end up taking about $2.5M+ today for a three-day gross of maybe $8.6M to $9M and around $11M to $12M for its four-day and $12M to $14M for its five-day run. Pretty good considering Relativity acquired this film for only $3M earlier in the year."
Deadline
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

The last Pierce film that opened #1 in the US was DAD. If not NM, what will?
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

He needs Sony or another big studio pushing his movies. But I'm not sure this summer was the right time to release this movie. Even Expendables couldn't break this summers curse.