The Last Movie You Watched

General Movie Discussions & Reviews
Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Moonraker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

Re: The Last Movie You Watched

Post by Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry »

I watched the latest Star Trek which was a fun adventure film, although lacking some of the Star Trek essence. The bits on the planet were good.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry wrote:I watched the latest Star Trek which was a fun adventure film, although lacking some of the Star Trek essence. The bits on the planet were good.
Simon Pegg said that he and his co-writer were asked to make it more like a Marvel movie in tone. He later tried to walk back those remarks, but I think it showed in the finished product. I think if I were a hardcore fan of the more philosophical Trek stories, I would probably hate it. As a casual viewer whose favourite of the classic movies was The Voyage Home, this movie was made more for me, but I sometimes feel a bit guilty, like I've taken Trek away from its real fanbase.

As for the last movie I saw, I have finally seen Frozen, thanks to its Christmas Day premiere on BBC 1. I now have *that* song firmly stuck in my head. Pray for me.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Central Intelligence with the Rock and Kevin Hart
Verdict : does not suck
I'd give it 7 out of 10

Proves the rock can act.
Over all predictable, it's not the first buddy movie like this. Still a lot of fun and the cat is great. Kevin Hart is another favorite of mine but it's hard to get him good material, this movie works. Also the cgi face tech is not too bad , close to rogue one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
............ :007:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Finally saw Fantastic Beasts, thanks to the cinema gift vouchers that Mrs Kristatos got me for Christmas. Quite enjoyed it, but it felt more like a setup for the new franchise than a satisfying film in its own right. 6/10.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Off to see La La Land tomorrow. Mrs Kristatos informs me that The Lego Batman Movie is not a suitable choice for Valentine's Day. Who knew?

Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Kristatos wrote:Off to see La La Land tomorrow. Mrs Kristatos informs me that The Lego Batman Movie is not a suitable choice for Valentine's Day. Who knew?

Apparently John Wick chapter 2 is not date night material either.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Omega wrote:Apparently John Wick chapter 2 is not date night material either.
Women, eh?
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

It was all right. Don't really get all the 5-star reviews and Oscar nominations, though,
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Kristatos wrote:It was all right. Don't really get all the 5-star reviews and Oscar nominations, though,
not surprised , Hollywood loves to nominate movies that a glowing reminiscence of Hollywood
Hugo (which I did like), the artist and Argo.

Oh rumor is affleck wants out of the Batman movie. I thought it was a passion project for him and he was a perfect Batman :evil: . Trouble showed up when they shifted Affleck out of the directors chair.

Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Omega wrote:
Kristatos wrote:It was all right. Don't really get all the 5-star reviews and Oscar nominations, though,
not surprised , Hollywood loves to nominate movies that a glowing reminiscence of Hollywood
Hugo (which I did like), the artist and Argo.
I still haven't seen Hugo. The Artist is another film that I quite liked, but which was overhyped, probably for the reasons you state. Not sure I'd really put Argo in the same category.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Argo was essentially about Hollywood saving potential hostages in Iran. They didn't play up the CIA heroes as much as Goodman and Arkin and the Hollywood magic that saved people in real life

Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Omega wrote:Argo was essentially about Hollywood saving potential hostages in Iran. They didn't play up the CIA heroes as much as Goodman and Arkin and the Hollywood magic that saved people in real life
It's been 3 or 4 years since I saw it, so my memory's a little fuzzy, but I remember it as being mostly about the CIA planning the operation with Goodman et al as their willing accomplices. I don't really regard it as a warm and fuzzy tribute to the golden age of Hollywood, though. Yes, it was shot in a deliberately retro style, even using the "Big W" Warner Bros logo that most of us here will probably associate with NSNA. But the style it evokes is that of the paranoid political thrillers of the '70s. Tonally, that's a world away from the silent era or the heyday of the MGM musicals.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

No it wasn't reliving the golden era of Hollywood it was still a self serving yay for Hollywood story

carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

I watched Futureworld which was fun, interesting and falls into the cult film category.

Bring back Bond!
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Logan
Aka old man Logan.
Verdict does not suck.
7 out of 10

Good movie. Somber. I liked it but like the last movie the wolverine better. I also accept it because I have not read the old Logan comic.
Three wolverine movies but none of these movies seem connected.
He lost his metal claws lost movie and had them again this movie. Also what I know of the xmen universe what they said was poisioning wolverine actually speeds up his healing factor. Omega Red had a metal that stoped his healing but ... anyway this is a departure from all the other moves sort of sits alone . If I take it as that I'm ok with it . Someone said this was wolverine'a dark knight rises and I agree

X-23 was great, so was x24 although x24 is not part of the xmen universe. But x23 was awesome, she is supposed to be a clone here she is more as a genetic child than clone but whatever.

Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

I saw Logan as well. I liked it better than the previous Wolverine movies, which have all but faded from my memory. The loose continuity doesn't really bother me. I was worried that the scenes of Professor X with dementia would be hard for me to watch, as my mother is slowly succumbing to this evil disease, as did her mother before her. Fortunately, they were quite understated, and not too depressing. The actress who played the little girl was amazing. She has a bright future, if she doesn't go the way of so many child stars. I hope she doesn't get too famous, and then end up in rehab for 20 years.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

X23 could have her own series. Talented girl.

Few problems with the continuity for me but I can forgive them because I see each as their own stand alone movie, events in Logan do not match up with the wolverine, which I like better even though it missed out on the whole idea of wolverine learning the way of the samurai. In the extended cut of the wolverine There was a OHMSS homage with a ninja being falling victim to a snow machine, well I thought so anyway.
Spoiler
It's clear Hugh jackman wanted to play the whole character of Logan from beginning, middle to end. Which is difficult for a nearly immortal character so they cherry picked certain stories to do it. Also each story had Logan at his weakest in many ways, which wouldn't be a standard story for him.

I do think the dementia professor x is hard to take in some ways, very brave way Patrick Stewart played it and allowed himself to embody I'm sure many of the traits of commonly thought of with declining health elderly he doesn't want to be associated with himself. I'm not sure I'll bing the bluray to my mom and Dad's to watch, they usually like to see the movies us kids like. I'm concerned these scenes with professor x would bring up a few painful memories of grandmas last years. But you are probably right about it being understated, it did rattle my memory of the kinds of thing everybody (mom, dad, aunts and uncles) went through for grandma, but that's memories of a young person not dealing with it directly.
Sorry your mom suffered the same kind of sickness.
Anyway back to the continuity of the xmen movies I don't sweat it because time travel altered the comic book timeline so many times it's not too big a deal to ignore the parts the movies got wrong as part of the reader timeline.

Xmen 3 got a ton of stuff wrong, nearly wrecking the franchise.

Wolverine origins got the wolverine story wrong. Weird part is the video game adaption got many of the aspects right, if they had filmed the games script it be a better movie, also wolverine and sabertooth are not secret bothers that kind of s**t only happens in bond.
Origins was back when fox wanted to give all the main mutants their own origins movie, but the movie was not that well received because IMO they got the essentials wrong that first class, days of future past and apocalypse largely got right.

First class got a few things wrong about some characters but was very enjoyable. In May ways What I wish bond movies could accomplish again.

The wolverine, mentioned stuff that bugged me earlier so I'll skip that. Set in the x3 timeline where Logan fells guilty for killing jean gray.

Days of future past resets the crap xmen 3 universe. Few problems but casting Peter Dinklage makes me want to forgive them.

Xmen apocalypse, a lot of fun, not very familiar with the apocalypse store lines which there are several. Do know it screwed up Storms origins, she wasn't a street urchin in Egypt. But had weapon x and reason for Logans memory problem right so I forgive them, also makes the Xmen 3 story impossible in this time line.

Logan, ignores everything including previous wolverine movies which works for this movie because it's telling the old man Logan story which was basically set off in its own universe. Since they ignore the other timelines I feel free to ignore this as the ultimate end of wolverine because the Apocalypse time line forward, even the wolverine movie forward I don't think converge with old man Logan. There's also a series that deals Logan and his older brother much further in the future.

And I guess I'm done going on about the wolverine. :)

Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

In the Heart of the Sea
Verdict didn't suck.. but...

Basically Apollo 13 for whalers. Good visual special effects and good cast. Standard Ron Howard job of taking real life stories and sensationalizing them in unnecessary ways. In this story it was the whale following the castaways, chase looking the whale in the eye and reforming his evil ways when the real history was he went back out whaling, captained, eventually built his own whaling boat sailing for 19 years after his rescue.
Also the history of what happened wasn't hidden like the movie pretends, it was out in the open with first mate chase writing his own account right after the rescue. The account of the youngest crew man was lost to history after he wrote it until 1960 but it was not because he was too drunk and afraid to tell it. Herman Melville did use the first mate chase written account as a source, but there were records of other whaling attacks before and after Essex of Nantucket.

How do I know so much? I stayed at a holiday inn once, that and I googled it after watching the movie because some of it bugged me.

Over all it was a fascinating historical look at a industry I can't imagine. Just be prepared for Ron Howard to step in where he isn't needed.

Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Legend of Tarzan 2016

Verdict didn't suck

Fun movie that I didn't see in theaters because of merciless reviews that were way off base.
I don't know if I've ever seen a Tarzan movie begging to end, including disneys tarzan. All I know is roger Moore and chewbacca were fans enough to yodel the Tarzan call.

This is a fun story that ticks all the right side of history buttons also exposing a younger generation to colonialism in a way that mAkes sense.

It's got a good cast, one of the better Sam Jackson in a long time. Waltz was a better villain here than in Bond.
Margot Robbie was amazing.
Super swede Skarsgard (son of stellan skarsgard from Ronin and Thor movies) was a good Tarzan, maybe a tad too Swedish.

It's a fun popcorn flick that I'll be buying on disc, now I'm not sure about the FX, we watched it on a free hbo preview the picture while HD was questionable at times. I may not be impressed with the FX animals in 4K .

Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Assassins creed

Verdict sort of sucked
I guess if I hadn't played the game I'd be impressed. The movie jumped all over the place not knowing where to go.
Fassbender who I normally like wasn't able to do much acting.
The cast was ok, the script and story telling was too erratic. Note to Hollywood site down and play the freaking game you're making a movie of before you write the script.
I understand the the movie is a condensed 2 hour version of a story that take days to play though but there's no excuse for taking a good story and not using it.