A new iconic Bond car?

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

A new iconic Bond car?

Post by Kristatos »

This was inspired by a comment from The Saint 007 in Dirty Benny's Rant thread. Connery had the Aston, Moore the Lotus Esprit. But since then, there hasn't been a new Bond car to equal those. What could be the next Bond actor's signature car? It would have to be something distinctive and "now", like those cars were in 1964 and 1977 respectively, not a model that you're likely to find at your local new car showroom. I know bugger all about cars, and would rather have a root canal than watch Top Gear, but I was wondering if anyone else had any suggestions?
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
dirtybenny
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love and all the Connery films
Favorite Movies: Dirty Harry, Bullitt, The Sting, LA Confidential, The Maltese Falcon, and The Big Sleep

Re: A new iconic Bond car?

Post by dirtybenny »

This is a rather interesting topic. I don't think we'll ever get that level of icon status again, considering the product placement aspect that has become Bond. It's not about what is the coolest, or most eye popping vehicle, it's who's going to plunk down the biggest check, also EON has locked themselves in to the notion that Bond = Aston. That being said I am a "car show" fan Top Gear etc. and to be honest I don't know of a vehicle today that has that same wow factor those cars had, especially if you want to keep him in a British made ride. (Not that GB doesn't make some great cars!) What with the internet, and those aforementioned car shows, everyone has seen the latest and greatest the industry has to offer. Also consider people are making much more money these days so its not unheard of to see a multimillion dollar Bugatti roll down the block. Where as in 63' and 77' Astons and Lotus' et al were a rare sight on the roadway.
The Rouge Warrior, On Hermaphrodite's Secret Service Image
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

This was posted on my Facebook timeline. What do you think? Image
dirtybenny
Favorite Movies: Dirty Harry, Bullitt, The Sting, LA Confidential, The Maltese Falcon, and The Big Sleep

Post by dirtybenny »

Kristatos wrote:This was posted on my Facebook timeline. What do you think? Image

Let's see, short, ugly, overly muscular, and a sickly shade of green, I'd say it's perfect for Craig!
ml94
Single O
Favorite Bond Movie: GOLDFINGER, FOR YOUR EYES ONLY, THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS, GOLDENEYE.
Favorite Movies: T2 & THE DARK KNIGHT.

Post by ml94 »

dirtybenny wrote:
Kristatos wrote:This was posted on my Facebook timeline. What do you think? Image

Let's see, short, ugly, overly muscular, and a sickly shade of green, I'd say it's perfect for Craig!
AGREED. :cheers:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

The Herbienator.
Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Moonraker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

Post by Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry »

dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry wrote:What about Brosnan's BMW's?

http://beyondjamesbond.kinja.com/holy-c ... 1698612595
I don't know that the BMW's qualify as "iconic" they're certainly neat, they make for nifty gadgets, but at the end of the day they're just an economy sports car, a 4 door sedan, and a not so great GT car.

I found this article on the same site, it toes the company line in some places, but it seems to fit the thread.

http://beyondjamesbond.kinja.com/james- ... 1692365259
commander0077again
Commander
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS YOLT GOLDFINGER LALD FYEO GOLDENEYE
Favorite Movies: OUR MAN FLINT THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD/ERROL FLYNN CASABLANCA ZORRO FILMS / TV SHOW

Post by commander0077again »

On the BMW (below minimum wage) as a Bond car: "Shirley, you're joking!" is what I moaned when BOND was driving a BMW, God Almighty, God Almighty! That was a tipping point, both BMW and Eon should have been ashamed of the crassification of it all. Ugh, bleah, yuk .... hope I've made myself clear. The BMW would be perfect for Craggs because it has zero charisma. In real life, nice cars to drive but 'just a nice car' should never get within 5,000 feet of Q Branch. What was Q thinking? And to borrow some of Dirty Benny's ranting: A wonderful sequence with Q explaining the BMW to Bond was ruined. He may as well have said, "Right, 007. Here we have a vehicle that will suits you to a B. You see them everywhere, nothing unique about them. Hm, just like you."
On suggestions for a new Bond car: first, we'd have to get a real Bond in the role. But will put my thinking cap on. A shame that the new Lotuses don't have the bodywork of the Esprits, btw.
I've always liked the one-off Jaguar 220, although it would be too swoopy for Bond......... :cake:
You move very well for a dead man, Mister Bond

Kill him!
Kill Bond! Now!!!
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

I think BMW's i8 has quite a distinctive look. And it's electric, a slightly futuristic touch that I think suits the Bond films, though the Clarksonistas who equate fossil fuel burning with masculinity might disagree. Image
dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

Kristatos wrote:I think BMW's i8 has quite a distinctive look. And it's electric, a slightly futuristic touch that I think suits the Bond films, though the Clarksonistas who equate fossil fuel burning with masculinity might disagree. http://gas2.org/wp-content/uploads/2014 ... tron-1.jpg

ERRRRRR, Fiiire goooood, Electric baaaaad!

On a slightly more serious note, while I think the i8 is a sleek and attractive car, it's about 10-20 too soon for a Bond film, it's technology is just too new, as you said red meat petrol drinkers such as my self would balk at it, and if included would go over about as well as the 750 did in TND.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

I think Bond films should be slightly ahead of the curve. Sooner or later, fossil fuels will go the way of the horse and cart, and I'd hate to see a series that has always embraced new technology left looking like a nostalgia piece.
dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

Kristatos wrote:I think Bond films should be slightly ahead of the curve. Sooner or later, fossil fuels will go the way of the horse and cart, and I'd hate to see a series that has always embraced new technology left looking like a nostalgia piece.

An excellent point Kris, although the thought of Bond whispering along the motorway in lukewarm pursuit doesn't conger up the same red blooded feeling as a shrieking V12. That being said, I'm not opposed to that or any other Eco performance car being included in the series if EON had a mind to, it's not like it would ruin the films, they already did that. Speaking of EON, I highly doubt they would go in that direction as it is too "experimental" sure they can, strip away the gadgets, remove the Bond theme and suggest homoerotism, but include a break out new technology? That's asking too much, unless the price was right!
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Yeah, I think these things are more decided by product placement $$$ than any artistic considerations. If BMW were to offer more money than Ford, then who knows? As for the engine noise, electric car manufacturers sometimes add artificial sounds because they found that cars operating in near-silence freaked the owners out a bit (though it could be useful when Bond is operating in stealth mode).
Edited to add: as for "lukewarm pursuit", the i8 has the same horsepower as a Porsche Carrera, I'm told. I assume that's good.
Goldeneye
Site Admin

Post by Goldeneye »

Something about the Tesla feels like a Bond Villain should step out of one. A high end sort of accessory any Bond evil doer would sport.
dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

Kristatos wrote:Yeah, I think these things are more decided by product placement $$$ than any artistic considerations. If BMW were to offer more money than Ford, then who knows? As for the engine noise, electric car manufacturers sometimes add artificial sounds because they found that cars operating in near-silence freaked the owners out a bit (though it could be useful when Bond is operating in stealth mode).
Edited to add: as for "lukewarm pursuit", the i8 has the same horsepower as a Porsche Carrera, I'm told. I assume that's good.
The lukewarm ccomment was more of a crack against the producers than the car. :wink:

Goldeneye wrote:Something about the Tesla feels like a Bond Villain should step out of one. A high end sort of accessory any Bond evil doer would sport.
The tesla does have a sinister look to it, but I imagine the PC crowd would have a problem with the eco technology being depicted as "evil ".
Goldeneye
Site Admin

Post by Goldeneye »

dirtybenny wrote:
Goldeneye wrote:Something about the Tesla feels like a Bond Villain should step out of one. A high end sort of accessory any Bond evil doer would sport.
The tesla does have a sinister look to it, but I imagine the PC crowd would have a problem with the eco technology being depicted as "evil ".
Fair point. :lol:
I was think along the lines of a Bond villain always has more money than sense. Not the technology is evil. Maybe Blofled was a decent gent until he got behind the wheel of a Tesla :twisted:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

dirtybenny wrote:
Well, QOS had a green tech guy as the villain. Though he was so unmemorable that I don't blame you if you forgot that.
dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

Goldeneye wrote:
dirtybenny wrote:
Fair point. :lol:
I was think along the lines of a Bond villain always has more money than sense. Not the technology is evil. Maybe Blofled was a decent gent until he got behind the wheel of a Tesla :twisted:
Any normal thinking person would think the same, I was referring to individuals who think along the lines of those who say LALD is "racist" for the shear reason "All the bad guys are black".

Kristatos wrote:
dirtybenny wrote:
Well, QOS had a green tech guy as the villain. Though he was so unmemorable that I don't blame you if you forgot that.
Lol, no I didn't forget him, (Though I wish I could!) remember his eco firm was a front for nefarious schemes involving "eco terrorism", extorting money for precious water, so not so green after all.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

I had to Google Tesla Cars to see what everyone was talking about. Most of them were fairly undistinguished looking, but I could see this one as a villain's car: