Bond on Blu-ray: My Bond Beefs

Television listings for Bond and video talk
Emilio Largo
New Recruit
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger, From Russia With Love, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, Never Say Never Again, Dr. No, Thunderball, You Only Live Twice, The Living Daylights, For Your Eyes Only, The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: 2001: A Space Odyssey, Citizen Kane, Vertigo, The Third Man, Lawrence of Arabia, The Man Who Would Be King, My Darling Clementine, Casablanca, The General, The Conversation

Bond on Blu-ray: My Bond Beefs

Post by Emilio Largo »

The story so far --

Well, I finally went all out and bought my "Baker's Dozen" group of James Bond favorites on Blu-ray earlier this week. And I only paid $7.99 for each one which is really a great price, eh! But when I starting watching Goldfinger I discovered that the DTS track was missing a sound effect from the pre-credits sequence: when Bond closes the door right before the opening notes of the 'Goldfinger' theme song, we're supposed to hear it close -- but not on this Blu-ray edition! This sound effect is there when you switch to the mono track, but I don't want to do that while I watch the film, eh. To make this matter even worse is the fact that the Ultimate Edition DVD of Goldfinger has this sound effect intact on its DTS track! What's the story here!??! :?

So it's nice that the DTS track on the Thunderball Blu-ray has that stupid freight elevator sound removed when Largo opens that secret door panel that leads into the S.P.E.C.T.R.E council room and the original sound effect has been completely restored. But what's up with that infamous bunch of film gate hairs on screen right when Bond and Domino approach the beach in Nassau after they first meet? On the UE DVD edition the first shot of Bond and Domino going up the beach has a very faint squiggle of hairs on screen right and the very next shot these same film gate hairs are very readily apparent. However on the Blu-ray editon, the film gate hairs are extremely apparent in both shots. Sure, the Blu-ray edition of Thunderball offers far more clarity than the standard UE DVDs, but I'm comparing both editions of Thundeball on a CRT monitor -- I don't even own a HDTV. :?

It is my conjecture that there was some slight digital "scrubbing" done on this first shot on the UE DVDs, but it would have looked very sloppy on the far more sharper Blu-ray edition of Thunderball so this fast and sloppy digital touch-up was completely removed. The overall difference that I notice on my CRT monitor between the Blu-rays and the standard DVDs of the Bond films is that the colors "pop" more on the BRs and that there isn't any more clarity offered here because my CRT is capable of only 500 lines of resolution. But I'm no techie so what do I know, eh?

:007:
Last edited by Emilio Largo on Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sean Connery IS James Bond
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Re: Bond on Blu-ray: My Bond Beefs

Post by Omega »

Does any of the sound depend on having a 5.1 speaker set up?

I've been watching them with tv speakers only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
............ :007:
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

The UK discs DVD and Blu I believe lack the original mono tracks.
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
Emilio Largo
New Recruit
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger, From Russia With Love, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, Never Say Never Again, Dr. No, Thunderball, You Only Live Twice, The Living Daylights, For Your Eyes Only, The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: 2001: A Space Odyssey, Citizen Kane, Vertigo, The Third Man, Lawrence of Arabia, The Man Who Would Be King, My Darling Clementine, Casablanca, The General, The Conversation

Post by Emilio Largo »

Omega wrote:Does any of the sound depend on having a 5.1 speaker set up?

I've been watching them with tv speakers only.
That's a very good question but I don't think it really matters. I don't have a 5.1 speaker set up, but I do have a Bose Acoustic Wave Sound System. I just find it curious -- and annoying -- that the DTS track on the Blu-ray edition of Goldfinger lacks this particular sound effect when the UE DVD has it on its DTS track AND its regular 5.1 audio track (at least as heard on my Bose system). Very strange .... and it's this kind of thing that drives a Type 'A' personality like me absolutely batty! :x
Sean Connery IS James Bond
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

When I get the chance I'm going to experiment with the sound tracks. If I can find the DVD too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
............ :007: