Daniel Craig is a great Bond

RhinoBond
New Recruit

Daniel Craig is a great Bond

Post by RhinoBond »

Next to Sean Connery, Daniel Craig is my favourite Bond.

When I watch Craig or Connery as Bond, it feels like it's really James Bond I'm watching. All the other Bonds seem like actors trying to be Bond.

I feel that Craig brings a fresh new perspective to Bond; he's a great actor and brings a lot of physical presence to the role. (see the near-unanimous rave reviews of Skyfall and Craig's performance in it)

Who says Bond always mus always be tall, dark-haired and stereotypically "handsome" ?

Who else feels Craig is a great Bond and state your reasons ?
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Re: Daniel Craig is a great Bond

Post by Kristatos »

RhinoBond wrote: Who else feels Craig is a great Bond and state your reasons ?
We have a few Craig fans here, but we really don't need a thread on why Craig is a great Bond. Every other Bond forum on the web is filled with people creaming their pants over Craig. This forum is for those who disagree. You're welcome to post here, but if we start running threads on Why Daniel Craig Is The Bestest Bond EVAH!!!11eleven, then we lose our USP*, as they say in advertising.

*=Unique Selling Point
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
RhinoBond
New Recruit

Post by RhinoBond »

Kristatos, your points are well taken.

I can understand why some people might not like Craig as Bond (not as charming or good-looking or tall as previous Bonds, etc).

I hope that a lot of people who don't like Craig as Bond may warm up to him after seeing Skyfall; while he cannot improve his looks, most reviews of Skyfall state that Craig is becoming more humorous/charming as Bond.
katied

Post by katied »

In the past we've had pro-Craigs that were,how shall we say, rather *forceful* about their opinions. Rhino seems like a good sort, though. :martini:
The Saint 007
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me, A View To A Kill, Goldfinger, GoldenEye, For Your Eyes Only, Moonraker, Octopussy, Thunderball

Post by The Saint 007 »

I personally prefer the classic style of Bond more than the new one, my most favourites being the Connery/Moore eras. I just can't get into the Craig Bond films, however. To me, he doesn't really look the part, and I don't care for his portrayal of Bond, or the whole new direction the producers have taken. It just doesn't have that same fun and appeal anymore.

But if you enjoy Craig as Bond, then that's fine, I can't argue with your opinion. I have some friends who also like Craig as Bond, and we're still able to have constructive James Bond related discussions, and get along just fine. It's the Craig fans that bash the old Bond films, and force their opinions down your throat that are impossible to get along with.
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

Welcome RhinoBond :cheers:

We certainly have plenty of friends here who are "pro-craig"

Speaking for myslef I'm bothered by Craig not looking like Bond, don't care about his hair. And the depressing shift of tone in the reboot. I think they abandoned too many things to make Craig's spy more in line with other popular spys series ignoring what made Bond unique for the previous 20 movies. Aside from Craig being IMO a bad Bond I don't hate him or anything else. I think he'd be better as a villain if they had to do a reboot in 2006.
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

None of us here (minus our Pro-Craig friends) will change our minds about DC's Bond no matter great he is. Yes, he's a great actor, but he's not Bond. Either he's a Bond villain or part of a Star Trek universe.
The Sweeney
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, GF, LTK, CR, FRWL
Favorite Movies: Bullitt, The Long Good Friday, The Towering Inferno, Jaws, Rocky, Superman the Movie, McVicar, Goodfellas, Get Carter, Three Days of the Condor, Butch & Sundance, The Sting, All the Presidents Men

Post by The Sweeney »

Welcome Rhino Bond!!! :cheers:
Nice to see a fellow Craig fan on here (I'm one too).
You'll find everyone friendly on here, despite their difference in opinion on Craig......that's why I'm still on here.

I've been on here since the site launched way back (when anyone?)
Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Moonraker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

Post by Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry »

:D sorry could not resist. Welcome to the forum.
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love

Post by stockslivevan »

RhinoBond wrote:Next to Sean Connery, Daniel Craig is my favourite Bond.

When I watch Craig or Connery as Bond, it feels like it's really James Bond I'm watching. All the other Bonds seem like actors trying to be Bond.

I feel that Craig brings a fresh new perspective to Bond; he's a great actor and brings a lot of physical presence to the role. (see the near-unanimous rave reviews of Skyfall and Craig's performance in it)

Who says Bond always mus always be tall, dark-haired and stereotypically "handsome" ?

Who else feels Craig is a great Bond and state your reasons ?
I still rank Connery and Dalton better, but I dig Craig in the role and very much look forward to SKYFALL.
Jim
Lieutenant
Favorite Bond Movie: Live and Let Die; The Man with the Golden Gun; On Her Majesty's Secret Service; the Spy Who Loved Me; Dr. No.
Favorite Movies: The Omega Man; Shane; in the Heat of the Night; The Pawnbroker; Solaris (1972); Walkabout; Serpico; Once Upon a Time in the West...

Post by Jim »

I'm with FormerBondFan on this. I think Craig is a good actor, but I think he is completely miscast as Bond.
Just ease back now, Jim. Relaaax. Mr. Big wants to see you.
John P. Drake
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No, From Russia With Love, Goldfinger, Thunderball, The Spy Who Loved Me, Moonraker, For Your Eyes Only, The Living Daylights, GoldenEye, Tomorrow Never Dies.

Post by John P. Drake »

Jim wrote:I'm with FormerBondFan on this. I think Craig is a good actor, but I think he is completely miscast as Bond.
Make that three.
Barry Niven
Lieutenant

Post by Barry Niven »

"Daniel Craig is a Great Bond"? No he's not, because the person he's playing ISN'T Bond at all. Because they deliberately hired an actor with NO resemblance to the character from both the books and the movies, the "producers" have to somehow justify this ghastly selection by turning the role into everything he isn't to fit the actor (instead of the other way around, which is impossible to do with Daniel Craig), and then overhype their hackwork as some kind of Bold Achievement in Reinventing James Bond for the Modern World to Make Him More Accessible for the Masses. Garbage.
John P. Drake
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No, From Russia With Love, Goldfinger, Thunderball, The Spy Who Loved Me, Moonraker, For Your Eyes Only, The Living Daylights, GoldenEye, Tomorrow Never Dies.

Post by John P. Drake »

In the first place, you have no right to call Daniel Craig a Bond. Like Barry said, he's a Garbage, a disgusting Jason Bourne crossed over with Nolan's pathetic Dark Knight wannabe. Full Stop. He screwed up the whole franchise and stood against everything I'm brought up to believe in. What a disgrace!!! Since when Bond has become an emo? goth? cowardly liar? sadistic bisexual rapist? pussy and total utter failure?! That's blasphemy. It's well known that Michael G. Wilson has Parkinsons, and that bluh-deeh Babs, the real-life evil queen of numbers is spreading her intolerable feminism all over the media, and THAT's why she wanted "Bond" to be a pussy and someone who would take crap from women. Horrible Horrible!!! Daniel Craig is NOT Bond like the sign says above. Just as he can do some exotic unnecessary dance moves while the camera shakes hard to give the aspect an "edgy" look, the noobies see him a tough man. And call it "realistic". Oh, let me tell you something, no KATN in real-life would have that ridiculous moves, and it will be laughed out of the building the first moment someone attempts to imitate it. And then, most of the teenagers nowadays, clowns is the most appropriate word, are introduced to Bond via Daniel Craig, a noob himself. Oh, and some total utter idiot told me that Craig is the only best one and the others never have impressed her, calling CR a Romeo & Julliet. Well, let me respond to that one, as well. James Bond, is NOT an "arty" Shakespearean franchise merged with some pathetic emotional teen drama. Bond is supposed to be a PROPER action/spy film, who has a MANLY hero with strong sense of humour and extraordinary skills (a la Classic Bond), out to stop supervillains, mad Generals from wiping out the human race or the planet Earth itself. THAT is BOND! It's really pity that most of the people forgot who Bond was and what did he do. Whoever who thinks Craig is "da bezzd bond" is either a goth, or an emo, or totally insane. I stated everything within my SkyFail (aka Cloudburst) review, more information will be found there.
The Sweeney
Favorite Movies: Bullitt, The Long Good Friday, The Towering Inferno, Jaws, Rocky, Superman the Movie, McVicar, Goodfellas, Get Carter, Three Days of the Condor, Butch & Sundance, The Sting, All the Presidents Men

Post by The Sweeney »

JackJamesBond007 wrote: Whoever who thinks Craig is "da bezzd bond" is either a goth, or an emo, or totally insane. I stated everything within my SkyFail (aka Cloudburst) review, more information will be found there.
I take offence to that comment, having been a fan of the franchise since the early 1970's, grown up through several Bond actors and read the Fleming novels countless times.

I think Craig is a great Bond, arguably better than the previously unbeatable Connery. You talk of a `manly' Bond - pretty boys Brozza and Moore were about as far removed from that as you can get.

The most masculine actors to play Bond are Craig, Connery and Lazenby - in that you could believe they can kick ass in real life too, not just actors paid to look good on screen.

I know I'm on a forum which focus point is against the current Bond, and have been a member on here for several years, and mostly enjoyed the banter and humour from other members. You are a new member, and you'll find a couple of members like me who have a differing view to everyone else here, but I accept the viewpoint that not everyone likes Craig as Bond, and both sides here mostly fairly respect and tolerate each others differing views.

I don't accept being called insane, or a goth, or an emo for liking Craig as 007.
John P. Drake
Agent

Post by John P. Drake »

The Sweeney wrote:
JackJamesBond007 wrote: Whoever who thinks Craig is "da bezzd bond" is either a goth, or an emo, or totally insane. I stated everything within my SkyFail (aka Cloudburst) review, more information will be found there.
I take offence to that comment, having been a fan of the franchise since the early 1970's, grown up through several Bond actors and read the Fleming novels countless times.

I think Craig is a great Bond, arguably better than the previously unbeatable Connery. You talk of a `manly' Bond - pretty boys Brozza and Moore were about as far removed from that as you can get.

The most masculine actors to play Bond are Craig, Connery and Lazenby - in that you could believe they can kick ass in real life too, not just actors paid to look good on screen.

I know I'm on a forum which focus point is against the current Bond, and have been a member on here for several years, and mostly enjoyed the banter and humour from other members. You are a new member, and you'll find a couple of members like me who have a differing view to everyone else here, but I accept the viewpoint that not everyone likes Craig as Bond, and both sides here mostly fairly respect and tolerate each others differing views.

I don't accept being called insane, or a goth, or an emo for liking Craig as 007.
If you don't like it, don't read it. I won't be changing my views for anyone. If you don't like them, and you find them "offensive", well, basically, oh dear, how sad, never...,mind... don't read it. Also, dammit, that opinion is based on genuine fact. Did you see the crowd who went to see Skyfall? depressed, all in black, talking about the glory of suicide by cop after a mass shooting.. if that is NOT sheer total utter insanity, then I do not know WHAT is. also, give over, Cr-egg couldn't punch his way out of a wet paper bag, he has no muscle ton, he has no "build", he looks about as tough as an infant, where's the bulge on the biceps? where's the litheness in his stance? where's the toning on his chest? I don't see anyway. You know why, he is UNFIT. Come on, every time they do a film with CR-egg, who pulls something major because he is a clapped out wreck. Now, you compare him to a GENUINE tough guy, someone like The Stath, an ex Olympic athlete, his stance is very lithe. The arms bulge with biceps, there is incredible toning, he looks tough, the total opposite of cr-egg . I will agree that Connery and Lazenby could kick arse in real life, they have incredible litheness and muscle tone, Olympic builds, hell, I'm sure we all know the stories of Lazenby breaking borineko's nose, or Connery knocking out the actor who played Franks when filming DAF, there hasn't been any reports like that on Cr-egg. Sorry, I don't see him as being able to kick arse in real life. He doesn't have the muscle tone. Heck, to be honest, I take EXTREME offence to you liking Cr-egg. The man has RUINED the Bond franchise for not having the dignity to actually say NO to Babs. He has allowed her to turn bond into a monosyllabic, disloyal, psychopathic rapist football hooligan! I strongly dislike him as an actor, I find him at best, BEIGE. And at worst, so lacking in ANY form of facial expression or charisma to be watchable, and I strongly dislike him in real life as well as basically, he's a douchebag. He's aggressive, arrogant, foul personalized, egotistical, he's a disgusting person. You like him if you want, but don't come leaping on me for disliking him and his fans, because I see that as disrespect for this forums' purpose. I feel that cr-egg's fans are a disease, and I DON'T want to see them infect this forum like they did mi6forums. So, if you like him, fine, just keep it shtum! And if you find my comments offensive, then just don't read them, because I won't be changing my viewpoint any time soon. If needed, the moderators can have a word, so sorry, i stick with my guns and if that's offensive to you, then, don't read it, because basically, I am offended by you liking Cr-egg or his films. As soon as I can find the user ignore function here, your going on it, because I don't have the time to waste on petty, MINDLESS arguments. I suggest you do the same.
The Sweeney

Post by The Sweeney »

JackJamesBond007 wrote:
The Sweeney wrote:

If you don't like it, don't read it. I won't be changing my views for anyone. If you don't like them, and you find them "offensive", well, basically, oh dear, how sad, never...,mind... don't read it. Also, dammit, that opinion is based on genuine fact. Did you see the crowd who went to see Skyfall? depressed, all in black, talking about the glory of suicide by cop after a mass shooting.. if that is NOT sheer total utter insanity, then I do not know WHAT is. also, give over, Cr-egg couldn't punch his way out of a wet paper bag, he has no muscle ton, he has no "build", he looks about as tough as an infant, where's the bulge on the biceps? where's the litheness in his stance? where's the toning on his chest? I don't see anyway. You know why, he is UNFIT. Come on, every time they do a film with CR-egg, who pulls something major because he is a clapped out wreck. Now, you compare him to a GENUINE tough guy, someone like The Stath, an ex Olympic athlete, his stance is very lithe. The arms bulge with biceps, there is incredible toning, he looks tough, the total opposite of cr-egg . I will agree that Connery and Lazenby could kick arse in real life, they have incredible litheness and muscle tone, Olympic builds, hell, I'm sure we all know the stories of Lazenby breaking borineko's nose, or Connery knocking out the actor who played Franks when filming DAF, there hasn't been any reports like that on Cr-egg. Sorry, I don't see him as being able to kick arse in real life. He doesn't have the muscle tone. Heck, to be honest, I take EXTREME offence to you liking Cr-egg. The man has RUINED the Bond franchise for not having the dignity to actually say NO to Babs. He has allowed her to turn bond into a monosyllabic, disloyal, psychopathic rapist football hooligan! I strongly dislike him as an actor, I find him at best, BEIGE. And at worst, so lacking in ANY form of facial expression or charisma to be watchable, and I strongly dislike him in real life as well as basically, he's a douchebag. He's aggressive, arrogant, foul personalized, egotistical, he's a disgusting person. You like him if you want, but don't come leaping on me for disliking him and his fans, because I see that as disrespect for this forums' purpose. I feel that cr-egg's fans are a disease, and I DON'T want to see them infect this forum like they did mi6forums. So, if you like him, fine, just keep it shtum! And if you find my comments offensive, then just don't read them, because I won't be changing my viewpoint any time soon. If needed, the moderators can have a word, so sorry, i stick with my guns and if that's offensive to you, then, don't read it, because basically, I am offended by you liking Cr-egg or his films. As soon as I can find the user ignore function here, your going on it, because I don't have the time to waste on petty, MINDLESS arguments. I suggest you do the same.
My my...we are touchy aren't we. I'm going to have soooo much fun winding you up on here.

You find it offensive that I like Craig as Bond? Great...we have a starting point now. Let battle commence!!! :twisted:
John P. Drake
Agent

Post by John P. Drake »

The Sweeney wrote:
JackJamesBond007 wrote:
The Sweeney wrote:

My my...we are touchy aren't we. I'm going to have soooo much fun winding you up on here.

You find it offensive that I like Craig as Bond? Great...we have a starting point now. Let battle commence!!! :twisted:
No, you will not have fun winding me up, I take that as an explicit threat, it shows me you are a little more than a troll, a douchebag willing to derail threads and throw the whole site of course, just to get at one person, you are pathetic, a sad, vindictive, STUPID little man, you claim to be in your 40s, yet you act more like 14. It's sickening. Well, I'm not going to allow you to follow your threat, I will be informing the mods that you are a troll and have threatened to derail threads in order to "wind me up" as it where is I've said before, if you don't like what i put, then you use the user ignore option, its called "being an adult". Trying to "battle me" or "wind me up", that is called being an immature troll. I cannot see the moderators standing for that, enjoy your probable temporary ban hopefully it will make you grow up.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

I've no desire to see this thread descend into a flame war. Please refrain from personal attacks or flamebait. This applies to everybody.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »