The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Re: The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

Post by Kristatos »

bjmdds wrote:DEAD! Lisa Marie Presley, Daughter of Elvis and Priscilla, Dead at 54!
Sorry, the extract you quoted didn't make that clear, and you didn't provide a link to the full story.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

bjmdds wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:16 am Priscilla is OK.
Doh! I was getting my Presleys mixed up. sorry.
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

Oscar-nominated actor Alec Baldwin will be charged with involuntary manslaughter in the fatal shooting of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins on the New Mexico set of the Western movie “Rust,” prosecutors said Thursday. Baldwin and the film’s armorer who was in charge of weapons on the set, Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, will each face two counts of involuntary manslaughter, according to New Mexico First Judicial District Attorney Mary Carmack-Altwies.
"Rust" first assistant director, David Halls, has agreed to plead guilty to negligent use of a deadly weapon, according to Carmack-Altwies' office.

“After a thorough review of the evidence and the laws of the state of New Mexico, I have determined that there is sufficient evidence to file criminal charges against Alec Baldwin and other members of the ‘Rust’ film crew,” Carmack-Altwies said in a statement.

“On my watch, no one is above the law, and everyone deserves justice........throw the book at him and lock this S.O.B. up for the maximum sentence!
Irony-Man2
Lieutenant

Post by Irony-Man2 »

Just watched FRWL last night. If Goldfinger set the template for the over the top spectacle Bonds, FRWL set it for the periodic regrounding of the series.

What amazed me was economical the story telling was. You don''t need a bloated 2 hours and 45 minutes to tell a good Bond story, in fact a 2 hour run time makes for a lean propulsive film that allows for character moments and action scenes.

Probably my favourite Connery Bond film.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

This year's Oscar nominees announced:
https://www.oscars.org/oscars/ceremonies/2023

BJ may be pleased to learn that Elvis was nominated for eight awards, and Top Gun: Maverick for six.

bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Kristatos wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:34 pm This year's Oscar nominees announced:

BJ may be pleased to learn that Elvis was nominated for eight awards, and Top Gun: Maverick for six.

You said a mouthful :!: :up:
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

TSWLM, GE, and CR (2006), saved the franchise? https://screenrant.com/james-bond-movie ... franchise/ Image
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

bjmdds wrote:TSWLM, GE, and CR (2006), saved the franchise? https://screenrant.com/james-bond-movie ... franchise/ Image
Agree about the first two, both followed on the heels of commercially unsuccessful films. But DAD, whatever you may think of it, did just fine at the box office.

dirtybenny
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love and all the Connery films
Favorite Movies: Dirty Harry, Bullitt, The Sting, LA Confidential, The Maltese Falcon, and The Big Sleep

Post by dirtybenny »

Kristatos wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:27 am
bjmdds wrote:TSWLM, GE, and CR (2006), saved the franchise? https://screenrant.com/james-bond-movie ... franchise/ Image
Agree about the first two, both followed on the heels of commercially unsuccessful films. But DAD, whatever you may think of it, did just fine at the box office.

I never liked the notion that such and such film "saved the franchise" not from public apathy anyway. Now the first two did come about after some upheaval for EON, TSWLM after Saltzman sold his half of the studio and GE after MGM emerged from their first of many bankruptcies. So perhaps had those films under performed the studio would have folded? To Kris' point even the author had to concede DAD did well financially. I speak on this fallacy here: http://danielcraigisnotbond.com/index/b ... ing-craig/
Unfortunately CR ushered in 4 more films and 15 years of emotional existentialism in our beloved adventure series, maybe for the first time Bond will need "saving" from apathy and if we do indeed get more of the same as Babz has alluded the franchise could very well be in trouble.
The Rouge Warrior, On Hermaphrodite's Secret Service Image
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

And the article seems to suggest that LALD was a box office flop, when I believe it was one of the more successful entries in the series. I do think that if Brosnan had made a fifth film, it probably would have been more grounded than DAD, in the same way that OHMSS followed YOLT and FYEO followed Moonraker.
dirtybenny
Favorite Movies: Dirty Harry, Bullitt, The Sting, LA Confidential, The Maltese Falcon, and The Big Sleep

Post by dirtybenny »

Kristatos wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:45 pm And the article seems to suggest that LALD was a box office flop, when I believe it was one of the more successful entries in the series. I do think that if Brosnan had made a fifth film, it probably would have been more grounded than DAD, in the same way that OHMSS followed YOLT and FYEO followed Moonraker.
Absolutely Kris, I'm always perplexed by people who call themselves "Bond fans" yet are amazed at how "gritty" (read grounded) CR is. Since I'm on the subject I also get a chuckle out of those who claim CR is the best Bond film, how's that meme go? "Tell me you're not a Bond fan without telling me you're not a Bond Fan."
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Will ANY of these be the actual new boy-toy for Broccoli to select, or will the moron pluck someone from total obscurity? https://www.justjared.com/2023/01/24/ne ... vorite/14/
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

How will Broccoli react to this news? Maybe she has a shot with him?
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

bjmdds wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:01 am Will ANY of these be the actual new boy-toy for Broccoli to select, or will the moron pluck someone from total obscurity? https://www.justjared.com/2023/01/24/ne ... vorite/14/
Sorry, I never read those lists with a separate page for each entry, each with its own set of ads.
dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

Kristatos wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:18 am
bjmdds wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:01 am Will ANY of these be the actual new boy-toy for Broccoli to select, or will the moron pluck someone from total obscurity? https://www.justjared.com/2023/01/24/ne ... vorite/14/
Sorry, I never read those lists with a separate page for each entry, each with its own set of ads.
But, the title states these are the odds maker's favorites Kris!
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

dirtybenny wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:25 pm
Kristatos wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:18 am
But, the title states these are the odds maker's favorites Kris!
I could just go directly to Oddschecker for that. Or be notified by a news story in the Daily Express every time the favourite changes.
dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

Just had a realization concerning this post and our own Babz Broccoli, her Oscar bait film Till was snubbed!
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

dirtybenny wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:46 am

Just had a realization concerning this post and our own Babz Broccoli, her Oscar bait film Till was snubbed!
Till writer-director Chinonye Chukwu called out “unabashed misogyny towards Black women” after her film was notably left out of the 2023 Oscar nominations, with star Danielle Deadwyler missing out on the best actress nod many experts predicted she’d receive for her portrayal of Emmett Till’s mother, Mamie Till-Mobley.

“We live in a world and work in industries that are so aggressively committed to upholding whiteness and perpetuating an unabashed misogyny towards Black women,” Chukwu wrote in part on Instagram Tuesday. Speaking on The Hollywood Reporter’s Writer Roundtable, Chukwu recalled her meeting with producers Whoopi Goldberg and Barbara Broccoli.

“When I told them that this had to be centered in Mamie’s emotional point of view, and she needed to be the protagonist and we needed to follow her specific journey, they said that’s what they wanted too, and we started from there,” Chukwu said.
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Kristatos wrote:Torn between "it's sad to see Pierce reduced to this" and "this actually sounds kind of awesome":Image

This is actually a good get for him. Other than Thomas crown, maybe Remington steel , I don’t know what recommends him as the narrator for greatest heists.
This and his role in black Adam it was a good year for him. He not a young actor but he getting work in a crowed market

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
............ :007:
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

dirtybenny wrote:
Kristatos wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:45 pm And the article seems to suggest that LALD was a box office flop, when I believe it was one of the more successful entries in the series. I do think that if Brosnan had made a fifth film, it probably would have been more grounded than DAD, in the same way that OHMSS followed YOLT and FYEO followed Moonraker.
Absolutely Kris, I'm always perplexed by people who call themselves "Bond fans" yet are amazed at how "gritty" (read grounded) CR is. Since I'm on the subject I also get a chuckle out of those who claim CR is the best Bond film, how's that meme go? "Tell me you're not a Bond fan without telling me you're not a Bond Fan."
The whole saved the franchise was a pr reaction to the not bond movement, followed by hundreds of millions each movie to promote the man made miserable at the very mention of the name james bond.
Bond in the past was not in the trouble let’s say the dc WB franchise is, when the studio plunged into a concept the audience didn’t support.
Most bond fans enjoyed the sense of familiarity his 20 movies had over 50 years, it would be until recent movies and series where the audience would be rewarded for decades of loyalty to a series with thoughtful use of casting and story telling. Cubby never looked back and never bothered to explain why bond we know was eternally young but we accepted it for what it was and enjoyed the movies for what they were. I wouldn’t be surprised if marvel’s strategy didn’t pay attention to how cubby did it , if not agreeing with the methods.

Problem with the Craig era was it’s narcissistic. It broke Fleming rule about it not being about bond, literally everything was about and because of Craigs bond. And we had to watch how tortured and expressionless Craig was walking off the double oh job as often as he threatens to quit the role. Nobody would believe in 2006 it’s take 14 more years to make 4 more movies.

And the Babs would milk the many hiatus from production to claim the longest-serving bond title. I guess technically thinking about how many hours spent on the set you could probably still have connery or Moore as the leaders, Moore has 7 movies 886 minutes of bond, Connery 7 movies 835 minutes of bond ,

But Craig’s bond really drove the franchise into the ground, I think the metrics for his last three films show a decline in the core audience except in uk and Germany . I’m curious how they bring bond back and if they can recapture the magic Babs let get away. A lot of places to look where they structured a functional universe and characters that can exist decades on, where Craig never created that world or feel for his own bond. They need a good bond , a cast that can work well together not needing their character to be the protagonist.
The need steady hand at production and a competency to find the talent to make this dream come true. It’s possible, d**n difficult to achieve after it’s lost. Babs threw it a away to make gritty Austin powers movies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
............ :007: