The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Re: The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

Post by bjmdds »

More 'woke' stupidity: Sam Mendes, the director of Skyfall and Spectre, has said he thinks it would be “wonderful” for the next James Bond film to be directed by a woman. Mendes told Deadline that he felt the franchise’s future lay in furthering the transformation already hinted at by its executive producer, Barbara Broccoli.

“I don’t envy Barbara having to follow Daniel’s five movies,” said Mendes. “He reinvigorated the franchise, but the franchise is so huge that it’s very difficult for a younger actor to step into that.”

He added: “Let me rephrase that. I think that the actor playing Bond is going to evolve, the director has to evolve. I think it would be wonderful to see a woman directing Bond. I think it would be wonderful.”-----why? The further emasculation of the Bond franchise. Watch for a female Q next.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

bjmdds wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:42 pm He added: “Let me rephrase that. I think that the actor playing Bond is going to evolve, the director has to evolve. I think it would be wonderful to see a woman directing Bond. I think it would be wonderful.”-----why? The further emasculation of the Bond franchise.
I don't agree that having a Bond film directed by, say, Katheryn Bigelow would necessarily mean emasculating it. But note that the Goat of Mendes doesn't name a specific director, and say "I think she'd be good directing Bond". It's just patronising tokenism.
bjmdds wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:42 pmWatch for a female Q next.
John Gardner had one of those back in the '80s, cringily named Qute.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Indiana Jones 5 title revealed as simply Indiana Jones. No "and the..." this time:

https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a4114 ... er-return/

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

dirtybenny
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love and all the Connery films
Favorite Movies: Dirty Harry, Bullitt, The Sting, LA Confidential, The Maltese Falcon, and The Big Sleep

Post by dirtybenny »

Kristatos wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:51 am Indiana Jones 5 title revealed as simply Indiana Jones. No "and the..." this time:

https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a4114 ... er-return/

Because Indiana Jones and the Cafeteria of the Nursing Home, doesn't have much of a ring to it.
The Rouge Warrior, On Hermaphrodite's Secret Service Image
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Interview with Barbie and Ken in Variety magazine. Nothing really in there that they haven't said a hundred times before, but I thought people might like to read it: https://variety.com/2022/film/global/ja ... 235378239/

bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

While issues such as COVID-19 certainly gave Craig a longer tenure than most Bond actors, its clear that it wasn’t just the length of the commitment that bothered him. By the time he finally did press for No Time to Die, Craig made little effort to hide his irritation with the role. Wilson realizes that fact, revealing that Craig became certain, telling the producers, “Well, I’m going to do it. I really want to be a part of it, the whole thing.” But by the end of the shoot, Broccoli said laughingly, “he lived to regret that.”
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

What are the societal changes that you are looking at that could be reflected in the next Bond?

BROCCOLI It’s hard to know. We always sit down with our writers, and we start by thinking about “What is the world afraid of?” We start by thinking about, “Who’s the Bond villain?” We try to focus on that as the sort of uber story, and then we want to also look at Bond’s emotional life, and what he’ll be facing personally that he hasn’t had to deal with before. So he has two big issues in the films — one is the geopolitical one and the other is the personal one.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

As the search for the next James Bond continues, one person would very much like to be excluded from the conversation: former 007 Pierce Brosnan. The actor, who starred as the suave, martini-drinking secret agent from 1995 to 2002, has revealed that finding out who'll portray the super-spy in the franchise's forthcoming installment isn't high on his list of priorities.

"Who should do it?" he said to GQ in a recent interview. "I don't care." Since putting up his cufflinks, however, Brosnan has largely steered clear from the luxurious and seedy Bond-verse. In fact, he's only seen two of Craig's five films: 2012's Skyfall and Craig's final installment of the franchise, 2021's No Time to Die.

"I love Skyfall," the actor said. And what about No Time to Die? "I'm not too sure about the last one," he revealed. "Daniel always gives of his heart. Very courageous, very strong. But…" The actor did not finish his thought.
Jason
Lieutenant

Post by Jason »

I'm sure Pierce hated it because it killed off Bond. PB cherished the Bond legacy and was a good steward of the character. He must abhor what Barbara and Michael Wilson have done to it by killing it....literally.
dirtybenny
Favorite Movies: Dirty Harry, Bullitt, The Sting, LA Confidential, The Maltese Falcon, and The Big Sleep

Post by dirtybenny »

bjmdds wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:43 pm What are the societal changes that you are looking at that could be reflected in the next Bond?

BROCCOLI It’s hard to know. We always sit down with our writers, and we start by thinking about “What is the world afraid of?” We start by thinking about, “Who’s the Bond villain?” We try to focus on that as the sort of uber story, and then we want to also look at Bond’s emotional life, and what he’ll be facing personally that he hasn’t had to deal with before. So he has two big issues in the films — one is the geopolitical one and the other is the personal one.
And that my friends is the death knell of the franchise. More of the Craig era served up cold. Hurray, more emotional baggage in a Bond film! Said no one ever.
dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

Jason wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:11 am I'm sure Pierce hated it because it killed off Bond. PB cherished the Bond legacy and was a good steward of the character. He must abhor what Barbara and Michael Wilson have done to it by killing it....literally.
Pierce owns (owned) Fleming's typewriter, which says something. The fact he never saw CR speaks volumes.
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Kristatos wrote:This story goes into a bit more detail about Lazenby's remarks, featuring a couple of audio clips from a phone-in show where people who were there called in.

https://www.6pr.com.au/creepy-homophobi ... -audience/

Humm, to be fair lazenby always had done these kind of things. I don’t know if he was ever so blatant or explicit.
I think Diana Rigg and a few others from the film knew he did/said stuff like this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
............ :007:
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Jason wrote:I'm sure Pierce hated it because it killed off Bond. PB cherished the Bond legacy and was a good steward of the character. He must abhor what Barbara and Michael Wilson have done to it by killing it....literally.
He was always bothered he didn’t get a chance to finish with the character, or work with it. He was proud of adding to bond and never was a bad ambassador for the brand ever after he was fired and Babs tried to kill his career blaming anything and everything “wrong” on brosnan

Craig in retro editing says it was the intent day one to kill bond off, I don’t believe it because Babs couldn’t never imagine the next story or ever had the idea of something called a story arc

Nttd was bad movie making and even worse as a bond film.

Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

dirtybenny wrote:
Jason wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:11 am I'm sure Pierce hated it because it killed off Bond. PB cherished the Bond legacy and was a good steward of the character. He must abhor what Barbara and Michael Wilson have done to it by killing it....literally.
Pierce owns (owned) Fleming's typewriter, which says something. The fact he never saw CR speaks volumes.
He wanted to make that movie before Babs and MGW were on board. First draft of the CR script was written for Brosnans bond . Quentin Tarantino feels Babs ripped off some of his ideas when brosnan brought him to meet Babs and he pitched his idea of cr. Which btw the broccoli’s thought was unfilmable and were not looking at it for bond 21.

Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Omega wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:45 pm Humm, to be fair lazenby always had done these kind of things. I don’t know if he was ever so blatant or explicit.
I think Diana Rigg and a few others from the film knew he did/said stuff like this
Becoming Bond was mostly about his sex life. Which is fine in a documentary aimed at an adult audience, but not appropriate for a supposedly family-friendly event.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Madeleine Kearns at National Review: Who Cares about James Bond’s ‘Inner Life’?
The James Bond movies are entertaining not because of the protagonist’s “inner life,” but for the much more superficial reason that they are action movies. Bond kills “bad guys” (or at least, guys worse than him), seduces beautiful women, and drives fast and fancy cars. All this is entertaining — a cheap thrill that can be enjoyed as such without silly pretensions. Looking for moral depth in a James Bond movie is like trying to find a lanternfish in a rock pool. Broccoli says that “Bond is evolving just as men are evolving. I don’t know who’s evolving at a faster pace.” What does this even mean? https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/w ... nner-life/
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

bjmdds wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:36 pm Madeleine Kearns at National Review: Who Cares about James Bond’s ‘Inner Life’?
The James Bond movies are entertaining not because of the protagonist’s “inner life,” but for the much more superficial reason that they are action movies. Bond kills “bad guys” (or at least, guys worse than him), seduces beautiful women, and drives fast and fancy cars. All this is entertaining — a cheap thrill that can be enjoyed as such without silly pretensions. Looking for moral depth in a James Bond movie is like trying to find a lanternfish in a rock pool. Broccoli says that “Bond is evolving just as men are evolving. I don’t know who’s evolving at a faster pace.” What does this even mean? https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/w ... nner-life/
I'd like to believe that, but if nobody cared about Bond's inner life, the Craig films would have flopped. The fact that they didn't (with the possible exception of QOS, which had other problems) suggest that there's a market for this twaddle. Unfortunately, the only way to test that hypothesis is for the Bond films to return to the escapism of earlier eras and see what effect it has on the box office, and it doesn't sound like there's much hope of that happening.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Longtime Bond producer Michael G. Wilson recently told Deadline that casting hasn't started yet, but they won't be considering young actors.

"We've tried looking at younger people in the past. But trying to visualize it doesn't work," he said. "Remember, Bond's already a veteran. He's had some experience. He's a person who has been through the wars, so to speak. He's probably been in the SAS or something."

"He isn't some kid out of high school that you can bring in and start off. That's why it works for a 30-something," added Wilson, 80.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Sixty years ago today October 5th, both the Beatles' first single Love Me Do and the first Bond film Dr No were released. Image
dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

bjmdds wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:25 am Longtime Bond producer Michael G. Wilson recently told Deadline that casting hasn't started yet, but they won't be considering young actors.

"We've tried looking at younger people in the past. But trying to visualize it doesn't work," he said. "Remember, Bond's already a veteran. He's had some experience. He's a person who has been through the wars, so to speak. He's probably been in the SAS or something."

"He isn't some kid out of high school that you can bring in and start off. That's why it works for a 30-something," added Wilson, 80.
I definitely agree with ol' Gaslight up there, however he seemed to have forgotten that when they cast Craig. Yes, I know he was 38 when he started, but we were sold a "Bond Begins" story, how a man of nearly 40 suddenly discovered he likes martinis and exotic sports cars is a bit daft.

The fact they see Bond as a former SAS operator also shows how much they lost the plot over the years, Bond is as spy not a commando waging a one man war, a problem that's plagued the series for decades.