James Bond's date of birth

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

James Bond's date of birth

Post by Kristatos »

Now, as most of you will know, I have little time for the "James Bond is a codename" theory. It requires ignoring too much internal evidence from the films. However, I have become intrigued by a more elegant explanation for Bond's apparent longevity: parallel timelines. An eagle-eyed observer over on AJB has noted (though I haven't had time to check this out for myself) that Bond's passport in The Living Daylights gives his date of birth as October 11th 1948. Given that in Dr No, Bond states that he has been using his Beretta for 10 years, that would mean that he was recruited at the age of 4!

What I think works better is the idea that Connery, Lazenby and Moore were playing one version of Bond, Dalton and Brosnan another (we'll ignore the other fella).

My idea is that the Dalton/Brosnan version of Bond was recruited around 1970, and that the events of Dr No through to AVTAK happened some time in the late '70s and early '80s - probably best not to give too detailed a timeline!

Incidentally, Sean Connery was born in 1930, meaning that he would have been 22 in 1952, ten years before Dr No was made. That's the same age Henry Cavill would have been had he starred in CR. I may have to rethink the idea that he would have been too young at the time.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
dirtybenny
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love and all the Connery films
Favorite Movies: Dirty Harry, Bullitt, The Sting, LA Confidential, The Maltese Falcon, and The Big Sleep

Re: James Bond's date of birth

Post by dirtybenny »

Kristatos wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:54 pm Now, as most of you will know, I have little time for the "James Bond is a codename" theory. It requires ignoring too much internal evidence from the films. However, I have become intrigued by a more elegant explanation for Bond's apparent longevity: parallel timelines. An eagle-eyed observer over on AJB has noted (though I haven't had time to check this out for myself) that Bond's passport in The Living Daylights gives his date of birth as October 11th 1948. Given that in Dr No, Bond states that he has been using his Beretta for 10 years, that would mean that he was recruited at the age of 4!

What I think works better is the idea that Connery, Lazenby and Moore were playing one version of Bond, Dalton and Brosnan another (we'll ignore the other fella).

My idea is that the Dalton/Brosnan version of Bond was recruited around 1970, and that the events of Dr No through to AVTAK happened some time in the late '70s and early '80s - probably best not to give too detailed a timeline!

Incidentally, Sean Connery was born in 1930, meaning that he would have been 22 in 1952, ten years before Dr No was made. That's the same age Henry Cavill would have been had he starred in CR. I may have to rethink the idea that he would have been too young at the time.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
Interesting Kris, essentially the sliding timeline cut in two. Cavill wasn't too young if EON truly wanted to do a Bond begins series, a 22 year old rookie just beginning to figure out what he's all about makes infinitely more sense than someone doing so at the tender age of 38!
The Rouge Warrior, On Hermaphrodite's Secret Service Image