The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Re: The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

Post by Kristatos »

I think a 2022 date makes sense from one point of view (Skyfall definitely got a boost from the 50th anniversary celebrations), but people's patience may be exhausted by then.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

It could be the overtaking of the Dalton-Brosnan 6 year hiatus and become the longest interim ever between Bond films, if it goes from 2015-2022. That extends Cr-egg's tenure 7 years with only doing a solitary film in that time, while Broccoli remains in her trance over him for a longer duration. From October 2005 to 2022 is a tortuous journey to say least least as this website has been forced to prolong its existence due to these circumstances. Who ever imagined 17 years of Daniel Cr-egg :?: :!: :hair: It is hard to believe this fortress of Bond solitude has been active for so long.
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

Post by Omega »

I do think there is a point to what Hollywood thinks now, that keeping these expected films on the burner too long spoils the audience expectations. I think the audience lived with the idea of Craig’s anti bond king enough and get the ideas behind his era two films ago. They also get where the anti anti 007 lynch Babs wants to make comes from long before it’ll be spoiled on rotten tomatoes.
I think the audience rewarded sf for being 50th along with them coming the closest in crags era of adding the touches of classic bond to the film, even if it’s ruined in education to those of us who truly like the series cubby, saltzman, Fleming and Connery started.

I feel the avatar series James Cameron has been sitting on for most of his life might be a let down when the sequels of his remake of dances with wolves are released.
It’s a long time to for a audience to wait.
I don’t think a new hope has legs without empire and Jedi to seal the deal. The marvel movies and good streaming series changed how we consume movies and content in general, I don’t think audiences are willing to wait for slow producers and directors to be inspired to work.

If mgm gets a big name buyer with deep enough pockets to fund a 007 movie on their own I expect nttd will be rushed out with just enough time to position a new 007 movie for 2022, although that anniversary was really only created in 2002, you could argue 1963 when the rest of the world got bond is the real date to celebrate, 62 was only England with a small release of dr no.
But the new 007 in 2022 only works is the have a plan for a Nolan kind of writer director who want to bring the 007 cubby, Connery and Fleming made back to the movies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
............ :007:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

With regard to Dances With Smurfs 2, I honestly don't know who the audience for that is. Yes, the original was a huge success, but this has all the hallmarks of joining things like Independence Day 2, and other belated sequels to blockbuster movies that tanked at the box office.

dirtybenny
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love and all the Connery films
Favorite Movies: Dirty Harry, Bullitt, The Sting, LA Confidential, The Maltese Falcon, and The Big Sleep

Post by dirtybenny »

bjmdds wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:13 pm ------forget any other 2022 film for the 60th anniversary unless the fall date gets deliberately moved again to 2022.
There was never going to be a film in 2022 even if No Time To Premiere was released on time in Nov. 2019. Do you honestly think EON would have a film ready in 2-3 years? Especially if the craggy one couldn't be wooed back with another hearty pay day and the had to recast?

Kristatos wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:36 pm I think a 2022 date makes sense from one point of view (Skyfall definitely got a boost from the 50th anniversary celebrations), but people's patience may be exhausted by then.
This film has already left a bad taste in everybody's mouths and I expect it only to get more sour as time goes on and more info is leaked. Those who keep up on the news of it will just get more turned off and those who don't will just forget about it.
Kristatos wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:47 am With regard to Dances With Smurfs 2, I honestly don't know who the audience for that is. Yes, the original was a huge success, but this has all the hallmarks of joining things like Independence Day 2, and other belated sequels to blockbuster movies that tanked at the box office.
First of all love the title "Dances with Smurfs" if you don't mind I'll have to steal that! You're absolutely right the only reason the first was successful was due to it's ground breaking special effects coupled with the new IMAX technology. The story was trite and contrived (a bit like the films of a certain craggy gentleman we're all acquainted with) and unless Camron has something very impressive up his sleeve, this series is the answer to a question nobody asked.
The Rouge Warrior, On Hermaphrodite's Secret Service Image
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

dirtybenny wrote: First of all love the title "Dances with Smurfs" if you don't mind I'll have to steal that!
It's not mine, it was a popular nickname around the time of the first film's release. I think it comes from South Park.

Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Moonraker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

Post by Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry »

So the movie is being released in November 2022?
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Avatar was supposed to creat the 3D movie market, which has come and gone with a whimper. Pretty much a self contained story nobody was dying for a sequel. Irony to me was James Cameron lamented who he waited 20 or so years for technology to catch up to his vision.. ok but another ten or more years?
I don’t want to say nobody will care I just don’t feel the audience is stilling holding their breath for camron to make a sequel. But Cameron has defied the Hollywood stereotypes over his career, still he’s never been a strong sequel guy. Unless it’s so brilliant it can’t be missed I don’t think the magic of the original will be captured again.

DB good point about eon and the lack of any kind of motivation to make a bond film. I don’t think if it’d gone off as planned Babs would be knee deep in production of a new bond right now. I only think the series gets new life of bond has a director take over for several films to redefine and reenergize the series, Babs has no interest in producing these movies, her lethargy almost killed MGM twice and might finish it off this time because she missed the window completely dragging her feet to start production. New studio with money and new director/writer/producer would breath life in to bond.
The longer the audience has to digest the leaks from nttd I think the less they’ll care. It maybe a direct to video prize for whoever buys mgm, I’m not sure it escapes the red ink it’s drowning in now.

Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

I think I've said this before, but Avatar's long-term cultural impact has been close to zero. When was the last time you saw an Avatar meme or parody, or heard the dialogue quoted? Compare that to something like Lord of the Rings, from around the same period.

Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

True avatar was big at the time, I’d say three year span of people caring. Lord of the rings for 20 years ago has a cultural impact still, hobbit trilogy less so.
But is avatar rerun of tv or Netflix?
I think bond was kept in the public eye by being on tv s d streaming to an absurd amount

bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

While nearly every movie has been delayed in wake of the pandemic, Warner Bros. has taken the unusual step of releasing “Godzilla vs. Kong” two months earlier than expected. The legendary monsters will face off on March 26, instead of May 21, in theaters and on the streaming service HBO Max. I hope Kong is the winner but I expect Godzilla to be the producer's favorite. This will be an epic battle, the likes of which have not been seen since the 1960s classic film.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Bourne director Doug Liman still doesn't know how to feel about Bond copying Bourne: https://www.slashfilm.com/bond-copying-bourne/

Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Kristatos wrote:Bourne director Doug Liman still doesn't know how to feel about Bond copying Bourne: https://www.slashfilm.com/bond-copying-bourne/

Kind of ironic how bond copied bourn the lesser series and how Babs snubbed 2 directors who wanted to make bond movies but created their own franchises instead , kingsman, Xmas first class, bourn.
If eon wasn’t intellectually bankrupt we might have had new blood innovating bond instead of the queen of the damned trying to keep the series in stasis

Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

bjmdds wrote:While nearly every movie has been delayed in wake of the pandemic, Warner Bros. has taken the unusual step of releasing “Godzilla vs. Kong” two months earlier than expected. The legendary monsters will face off on March 26, instead of May 21, in theaters and on the streaming service HBO Max. I hope Kong is the winner but I expect Godzilla to be the producer's favorite. This will be an epic battle, the likes of which have not been seen since the 1960s classic film.
I think they had to move it up because HBO max is dying. Slowly.
We subscribed for WW84, I’d rather have bought it. But it was a holiday kind of thing. So far we never go to HBO max to watch anything, if they were going to have movie the day of release or some other compelling content I might want to keep it but these movies are so spaced out it’s infuriating and we are not a fan of the HBO shows for the most part.

I never got how Netflix keeps new content but with 195 million subscribers world wide it makes sense, essentially they make the equivalent of a big blockbuster movie every month to the tune of almost $2 billion. No big splits in profit like the movie theater chains have. This is what Disney and everybody else are chasing. HBO max is a lame attempt to copy this trend.

kater23
Moneypenny
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger,Living Daylights
Favorite Movies: Animal House, Star Wars(original recipe)

Post by kater23 »

There are a lot of people(like my brother) who are signing up for Wonder Woman..my brother -at first-couldn’t find anything to watch but he’s been bingeing various shows.
I have no time for No Time To Die :lol:
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Now I developed Bell's palsy out of nowhere. I did my research and found cases of it from those who have covid-19. I had it 10 months ago. My doctor put me on 2 medications and I hope it heels sooner rather than later. I predict the world will hear a LOT more of this going forward. My senses of taste and smell are still not back to normal and now this, all from the "China"-Sars-"Syndrome" they deliberately released on the world :!: :cuss:
Last edited by bjmdds on Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

bjmdds wrote:Now I developed Bell's palsy out of nowhere. I did my research and found cases of it from those who have covid-19. I had it 8 months ago. My doctor put me on 2 medications and I hope it heels sooner rather than later. I predict the world will hear a LOT more of this going forward. My senses of taste and smell are still not back to normal and now this, all from the "China"-Sars-"Syndrome" they deliberately released on the world :!: :cuss:
Sorry to hear that. My mum had Bell's palsy.

Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Sorry BJ. Hope the treatment works

kater23
Moneypenny
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger,Living Daylights
Favorite Movies: Animal House, Star Wars(original recipe)

Post by kater23 »

d**n..and they have to give you the heavy duty stuff(Predisone from what I’ve read) for it.
I have no time for No Time To Die :lol:
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Thanks guys. Prednisone and valacyclovir. I am reading more and more that covid can cause this, but I had that 10 months ago, so I might be in a new class of people who develop it AFTER many months of not having it. I will see where this goes.
Last edited by bjmdds on Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.