The Last Movie You Watched

General Movie Discussions & Reviews
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Re: The Last Movie You Watched

Post by Kristatos »

Just watched The Lone Ranger (the most recent one, with Armie Hammer and Johnny Depp) on TV. Maybe it's a case of lowered expectations, because the initial reviews and box office were so terrible, but I actually enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I was going to.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Really. It was filmed around here and I wanted to like it. I felt it was disrespectful to Indian culture and the plot was half baked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
............ :007:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Omega wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:38 pm Really. It was filmed around here and I wanted to like it. I felt it was disrespectful to Indian culture and the plot was half baked.
Yeah, you probably don't wanna scrutinise the plot too closely, but I think they went out of their way not to be disrespectful to Native Americans. Some of Tonto's actions could be construed as a caricature of Native stereotypes, but then you have the Lone Ranger repeating them to the Comanche elders, and the chief just laughs and says "Did Tonto tell you that?", before explaining that
Spoiler
he had been driven insane by the shame of betraying his tribe.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

We watched hunt for red October and Indians kind and the last crusade, also watch dr no and frwl

Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Kristatos wrote:
Omega wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:38 pm Really. It was filmed around here and I wanted to like it. I felt it was disrespectful to Indian culture and the plot was half baked.
Yeah, you probably don't wanna scrutinise the plot too closely, but I think they went out of their way not to be disrespectful to Native Americans. Some of Tonto's actions could be construed as a caricature of Native stereotypes, but then you have the Lone Ranger repeating them to the Comanche elders, and the chief just laughs and says "Did Tonto tell you that?", before explaining that
Spoiler
he had been driven insane by the shame of betraying his tribe.
I know disney were sensitive about native culture still by the fake spiritualism and degrading tonto to (self edited spoiler) I thought was another jibe at the culture
But the original Lone Ranger story might with Indian sidekick probably wouldn’t work today even though at the time have tonto as a noble warrior was counter programming to the Indians are savages in media and official government policy. Also the white guys were normally the bad guys in the Lone Ranger.

carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

I watched an old British horror on Youtube - Nothing But the Night(1973) with Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing. Also in the cast were Diana Dors and a young Cassandra from Only Fools and Horses. It is an occult thriller and I enjoyed it. Reviews said it was a bit flat. It was made by Christopher Lee's production company but they only made one film.
Bring back Bond!
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

carl stromberg wrote:I watched an old British horror on Youtube - Nothing But the Night(1973) with Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing. Also in the cast were Diana Dors and a young Cassandra from Only Fools and Horses. It is an occult thriller and I enjoyed it. Reviews said it was a bit flat. It was made by Christopher Lee's production company but they only made one film.
Not seen it, but I am reading the book English Gothic by Jonathan Rigby at the moment, which does mention it. Rigby doesn't have a very high opinion of it.

Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Watched The Raggedy Rawney, Bob Hoskins' first film as director, on Britbox last night. Made in 1988, but I hadn't seen it before. Not bad, but felt a bit underdeveloped, not least because of the abrupt ending.

carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

There is a good triple bill for Kristatos on Talking Pictures this evening. Scars of Dracula at 9. Followed by 70s horror Death Line with Donald Pleasance and finishing with Rasputin the Mad monk with Christopher Lee.
Bring back Bond!
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

I have Death Line recorded, but haven't got around to watching it yet. I've never seen it, I understand it is one of those films like The Wicker Man which went almost unnoticed on its initial release, but which has built up a significant cult following since.
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

Kristatos wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 1:57 pm I have Death Line recorded, but haven't got around to watching it yet. I've never seen it, I understand it is one of those films like The Wicker Man which went almost unnoticed on its initial release, but which has built up a significant cult following since.
Donald Pleasance is very good in it.

I went to Whitstable for a haircut today. To get back to the station I always walk up an alleyway next to the train track, and there is always lots of graffiti on the fences of the houses. But today I was surprised to see a Peter Cushing mural. I looked it up and the artist said he pained it last year. I'm surprised no one has graffitied over it!

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/whitstable ... wn-238044/

Bring back Bond!
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Apparently, there was a song by a local band called Peter Cushing Lives In Whitstable, recorded when he was still alive. Alan Davies mentioned it on QI.

Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

We watched Batman begins this time in 4K, not a true remaster so we got it on digital streaming. Different venders have different quality in their play back. Apple TV, now a app in most providers usually has the best, I’ve found Xbox can beat them some time and Vudu is about the middle far as quality even though they pioneered the HDX for streaming quality close the Blu-ray 1080p

I think Batman begins hit so many right notes it’s shocking how badly other trying to follow up got it, look at you Zack Snyder.
Bb wasn’t simple or back to basics, people like to use it to compare it to CR bond begins but it really was only different in showing the journey Bruce Wayne take before returning to Gotham.
In the comics Bruce Wayne stops being the Batman when he resorts to using a gun, although he tells Terry McGinnis it was his heart condition.
We get a young punk Bruce Wayne picking up a heater thinking of offing his parents killers, I’m not sure how that plays in to the canon of Batman but it’s not completely out of place, as say Ben Affleck pray and spray with the bat-Machine guns.
The only let down I think is the two follow up movies, only because we as fans know where the road of Bats takes him but the movies skip over a lot. Still better that the all star variety show the 90s Batman movies became. But BB missed the chance to be a series of movies about the career of Batman over the Hollywood highlight reel. Of course Christopher Nolan never really had it in him to make a series that could be the base for 20 films about the bat. Close he came was setting up “Robin” to find the bat leftovers and start his career.

carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

I watched The Bullfighters - which is one of last films Laurel and Hardy made. I don't think I have seen it before.
Bring back Bond!
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Suicide squad 2

Raunchy comic book humor. More like Deadpool and joker than not.
Still it had a lot of humor was very funny and Elba was great in his role.
Not going to ruin this with spoilers, but for what it is meant to be it is successful. If that translates to BO or more accurately profit for WB remains to be seen.

Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Death Line, a cult US-British horror film from 1972. The graphic violence repelled audiences at the time, and repelled me too, if I'm being honest. I'm not a fan of excessive gore, which is why I generally prefer older horror films to modern ones. But Donald Pleasance is a delight as the Detective Inspector investigating the case, and gets to share a scene with Christopher Lee, who has an amusing cameo as an affably sinister MI5 agent.

Oh, and you can spot a poster for (I assume) DAF in one of the tube station scenes, showing Connery in his familiar Bond pose.
Skywalker
Favorite Bond Movie: Live and Let Die
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Quantum of Solace.......Hmmm
Favorite Movies: Batman Begins
The Dark Knoght
Shawshank Redemption
Platoon
Top Gun
Aliens
Location: On the side of truth and honesty. No room for sheep - just shepherds.

Post by Skywalker »

Just finished the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Not seen it in a while and my daughter was desperate to watch it. She loved it and its easy to understand why.
“I'd like to thank the Royal Marines for bringing me in like that and scaring the s--- out of me,” Bond Hardman Daniel Craig.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Just finished the new Dune movie.

Without going into spoilers at this point, even though the book is 50 years old.

some really good casting and incredible visuals. But if you don’t know the story you’ll leave the theater confused and angry.

Visually it feels distant, far away, strange , alien, in a way most of the adaptations fail to convey. The fremen feel like they were there as a people for thousands of years, waiting. Very difficult to convey these ideas through art or film, and it successfully done here

But

In the end I think they went for prestige over substance.

The beast rabban was over achieved by Dave Bautista. Never really getting to why he was chosen by his uncle or how brutal he was. Just didn’t get the screen time. Bautista did his standard yelling and stuff, but didn’t do anything playing the role.

Javier Bardem was believable as Stilgar.

Jason Momoa as Duncan Idaho was good but not quite there as the character.

Josh brolin as Gurney Halleck seems like good casting but lacks really bringing the character to like

Rebecca Ferguson as lady Jessica had a few good moments but could be better. Honestly I think she was better than I thought she’d be but was lacking when she shouldn’t be.

Oscar Isaac was ok as duke leto

Stellan Skarsgard was threatening as Barron harkonnen but missed a lot of what made the character so scary.

Dune fall into the trap of thinking they have time to tell they story with two more movies, I doubt they’ll be a sequel. It was so set on being artistic and to show the producers, writers and directors really get dune, so much so they forgot to tell the story of dune or a story that grabs the audience and takes them along. we felt like we were observing this story, fascinating and alien as watching the pyramids being built in real time would be, but not rewarding as a movie going experience where the story takes you along without realizing it.

I also think they were trying to avoid being compared to the sci-fi mini series. Which got a lot of things right about dune, even though it included the princess where she wasn’t in the original story. I know some don’t like that series but you’d have to see it or read the book to begin to get where this movie was heading. In fact the ending is a let down unless you know what happened next

Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Rewatched the hit mans bodyguard and hitmans wife’s bodyguard

First movie works and has a good cast, same cast second movie comes out half baked
I wonder if it was affected by the pandemic
Reynolds seems to have devolved into one act the merc with a mouth from dead pool, he’s good in Deadpool but the ridiculous act went too far in wife’s bodyguard. Could be the way it was written it feels like scenes that should be cut or just rough concepts were filmed.

We are going to watch the new venom and the Ryan Reynolds and the rock team up on Netflix

Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Red notice with Ryan Reynolds, the rock, Gal Gadot. It was actually pretty fun movie. Predictable but the action and location done on a Netflix budget make me wonder at the waste Hollywood has on most movie sets

Well never mind it cost $200 million , I stand corrected