The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
dirtybenny
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love and all the Connery films
Favorite Movies: Dirty Harry, Bullitt, The Sting, LA Confidential, The Maltese Falcon, and The Big Sleep

Re: The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

Post by dirtybenny »

Kristatos wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:32 pm It seems we can add stunt coordinator to Craggy's ever-expanding list of job titles: https://www.nme.com/news/film/no-time-t ... nt-2789981
Craig came up with the the idea because of course he did. Why is EON still trying to build this crumb up. I don't care if he did come up with the idea of spilling soda all over the street it doesn't make his portrayal of Bond any more compelling. However EON seems to think we need to know what a great mind for film making Mr. Craig has because he went to a theater once and had his shoes welded to the isle.

Speaking of theaters further down in the article Craig says this defending their decision to postpone release:
“This thing is just bigger than all of us. We just want people to go and see this movie in the right way, in a safe way.”

“Cinemas all around the world are closed at the moment. We want to release the movie at the same time all around the world and this isn’t the right time. So fingers crossed, 2 April [2021] is going to be our day.”

Bigger than all of us? What is this picture the second coming of Christ?! Come on old boy get it together, it's just a coolly anticipated movie that will perform lackluster no matter when it's released. If they had any confidence in the quality of this film they could release it in stages and people would still come out to see it when it came to their town. Instead they need to spring it on an unwitting public like some sort of conjuring trick or more fittingly a global confidence scam.

As a side note the article above is an abridged version of another article that appears... in a print magazine. EON's modus operandi dead print to promote a dead film.
The Rouge Warrior, On Hermaphrodite's Secret Service Image
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

I think he meant covid is bigger than all of us. If he’s talking about the movie he’s nuts. The only reason it’s postponed is the studio dropped a cool half billion in production and promotion if it does Tenet or Mulan numbers it kills MGM, Craig and eon made their money already. Bonus money is all that’s on the line now. For MGM it’s the studios future they still want to sell bond as a billion dollar franchise to get investors on board or a new buyer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
............ :007:
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Just read it, obviously Craig didn’t have jack to do with the cola on the street stunt, the stunt coordinator goes on to say he’s been spaying cola on slippery surfaces for years, so Craig didn’t come up with the innovation that changed the stunt world forever. (Actually I dunno if I’d be ok with spraying acidic drinks all over hundreds of years old streets)

eon always had stunt team come out to build Craig up, Cr they tried to build up Craig as doing his own stunts which he obviously didn’t do, painfully bad editing made that clear. Then stunt team takes a swipe a brosnan saying Craig sweats brosnan perspires.
I have to agree the best by date for eons modus operandi promoting films had long expired.

kater23
Moneypenny
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger,Living Daylights
Favorite Movies: Animal House, Star Wars(original recipe)

Post by kater23 »

AMC will let you rent out a whole theater for $99. Considering doing that for my 50th in a few months but following all the rules-given the size of most stadium seating there is more than enough room to socially distance.
I have no time for No Time To Die :lol:
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

kater23 wrote:AMC will let you rent out a whole theater for $99. Considering doing that for my 50th in a few months but following all the rules-given the size of most stadium seating there is more than enough room to socially distance.
That’s not bad, my brother and his wife did a movie party for their son a few years ago. $99 to rent out the theater isn’t bad at all, plenty of room for everybody

dirtybenny
Favorite Movies: Dirty Harry, Bullitt, The Sting, LA Confidential, The Maltese Falcon, and The Big Sleep

Post by dirtybenny »

Omega wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:35 pm I think he meant covid is bigger than all of us. If he’s talking about the movie he’s nuts. The only reason it’s postponed is the studio dropped a cool half billion in production and promotion if it does Tenet or Mulan numbers it kills MGM, Craig and eon made their money already. Bonus money is all that’s on the line now. For MGM it’s the studios future they still want to sell bond as a billion dollar franchise to get investors on board or a new buyer.
MGM needs to realize Bond isn't the tent pole property they think it is, at least not in it's current incarnation. Sure it "makes" a fair amount of money but at a cost of at least half of those profits Bond isn't as lucrative as it would seem.
dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

kater23 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:57 pm AMC will let you rent out a whole theater for $99. Considering doing that for my 50th in a few months but following all the rules-given the size of most stadium seating there is more than enough room to socially distance.
That sounds like fun, I assume you get to select the movie they play, is there a limitation as to which films you can choose (MGM, Warner, 1930's, 40's, 50's etc.)?
kater23
Moneypenny

Post by kater23 »

It’s a good cross section of movies-Jurassic Park was one of the movies..I’d be down for that!
dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

kater23 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:34 pm It’s a good cross section of movies-Jurassic Park was one of the movies..I’d be down for that!
That's definitely a good one to see on the big screen.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Question for everyone: is there a movie that you've only ever seen on TV that you'd love to see on the big screen? Mine is Once Upon A Time In The West. It feels like a film that really needs to be seen in the cinema, preferably in a pristine 4K remastered print.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

dirtybenny wrote:
Omega wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:35 pm I think he meant covid is bigger than all of us. If he’s talking about the movie he’s nuts. The only reason it’s postponed is the studio dropped a cool half billion in production and promotion if it does Tenet or Mulan numbers it kills MGM, Craig and eon made their money already. Bonus money is all that’s on the line now. For MGM it’s the studios future they still want to sell bond as a billion dollar franchise to get investors on board or a new buyer.
MGM needs to realize Bond isn't the tent pole property they think it is, at least not in it's current incarnation. Sure it "makes" a fair amount of money but at a cost of at least half of those profits Bond isn't as lucrative as it would seem.
It’s been a slippery slope since TND, that’s when the producer fees and cost suddenly ballooned. CR was sold as back to basics striped down budget but it wasn’t. Only real success was skyfall, QOS & SP did not do well because of the budget, eon was saved by the home video markets.

MGM and Eon try to build bond up like they have a plan, mgm for the last 17 years has needed bond to be a real franchise not a hobby project for the idle rich girl. All mgm can do is talk up the series, I don’t think they have another movie series in the works. The other studios are probably waiting for bond to flop then buy mgm on the cheap.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the whole twist on nttd is 007 lynch taking over the series which is why they don’t want a staged release. EoN things since Cr is get the fans money up front worry about the story consequences later.

Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

kater23 wrote:It’s a good cross section of movies-Jurassic Park was one of the movies..I’d be down for that!
We almost went to empire strikes back, there are a few old movies that are awesome on the big screen.

dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

Omega wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:39 pm It’s been a slippery slope since TND, that’s when the producer fees and cost suddenly ballooned. CR was sold as back to basics striped down budget but it wasn’t. Only real success was skyfall, QOS & SP did not do well because of the budget, eon was saved by the home video markets.

MGM and Eon try to build bond up like they have a plan, mgm for the last 17 years has needed bond to be a real franchise not a hobby project for the idle rich girl. All mgm can do is talk up the series, I don’t think they have another movie series in the works. The other studios are probably waiting for bond to flop then buy mgm on the cheap.
MGM seem to think Skyfall and it's billion dollar box office is the new normal and not the anomaly it really was. If MGM thinks they can continue to bank on if/when Babz can be arsed to slap together another half billion dollar mediocrity they might as well pull the plug now.

Omega wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:39 pm I wouldn’t be surprised if the whole twist on nttd is 007 lynch taking over the series which is why they don’t want a staged release. EoN things since Cr is get the fans money up front worry about the story consequences later.
Spot on Big O, once this cat is let out of the bag word of mouth will murder it!
dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

Kristatos wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:38 pm Question for everyone: is there a movie that you've only ever seen on TV that you'd love to see on the big screen? Mine is Once Upon A Time In The West. It feels like a film that really needs to be seen in the cinema, preferably in a pristine 4K remastered print.
Good question and an excellent suggestion, that is an epic film which would absolutely paint the screen and is now at the head of my list! Until the unpleasantness began my wife and I were on a classic film kick, with the TCM cable channel re-releasing old films in cinemas, so we were able to catch many of our bucket list cinema films, The Ten Commandments, Psycho and Bullitt who's car chase has to be experienced on the big screen.
kater23
Moneypenny

Post by kater23 »

Omega wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:42 pm
kater23 wrote:It’s a good cross section of movies-Jurassic Park was one of the movies..I’d be down for that!
We almost went to empire strikes back, there are a few old movies that are awesome on the big screen.

There are movie theaters that do special screenings of horror movies especially around this time of year :up:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Omega wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:39 pm I wouldn’t be surprised if the whole twist on nttd is 007 lynch taking over the series which is why they don’t want a staged release. EoN things since Cr is get the fans money up front worry about the story consequences later.
I can't see Universal's shareholders and directors being to happy, though, if they think they've paid all that money for the Bond franchise and find they've actually bought one Bond film and a brand-new Nomi franchise. Personally, I think it's more likely that Nomi will be spun off into a parallel franchise, so that we can have a Bondverse movie more than once every five years.Don't quote me on that, though.
dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

Kristatos wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:34 pm
I can't see Universal's shareholders and directors being to happy, though, if they think they've paid all that money for the Bond franchise and find they've actually bought one Bond film and a brand-new Nomi franchise. Personally, I think it's more likely that Nomi will be spun off into a parallel franchise, so that we can have a Bondverse movie more than once every five years.Don't quote me on that, though.
That is the smart money Kris and what I was positive would be the plan. However, the more I hear of this film, the more likely it is Craig-Bond will die so the less I see it going that way. You can't have a spin off series where Bond is dead and a new Bond in their own.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

I personally don't think Bond will die at the end either. It would be too confusing for Mr and Mrs Joe Q Multiplex when they announce Bond 26. But again, don't quote me on that.

Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Mark Kermode talks to David Arnold about the music of Bond on his podcast: https://podfollow.com/1436700945/episod ... cb9a9/view

Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Kristatos wrote:
Kris you have a good point. Traditional thinking is you play out Craig get some fresh blood and profits come rolling in.

Except for babs, she making from what we can tell a spy who loved me movie from the female leads POV, which Fleming forbid be made.

They are over playing what should Lynch’s role, they also take the dangerous step of making 007 a job not the person. It’s existed in the fan lore since 006 in GE, but we don’t know if there 006 title was passed on, i remember 002 & 004 in TLD I don’t recall if the series ever replaces them.

I don’t think bond has to die for lynch to be anointed the new 007. There’s probably a passing of the torch scene in the movie. Unfortunately I don’t think the audience cares as much as Babs does. The 007 is a black woman click bait controversy never came about for the average moving going public. The small fan groups yes average people needed to make it trend no.

Again I think Babs is a soft raciest putting people of color in token roles to build up her image, like her father did for feminist when he put women with clipboards in scenes (as Babs calls them)
I don’t think the average public is as hung up on race and sex casting as Hollywood is.