The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Re: The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

Post by Kristatos »

Comment from Dannysquid on Gallifrey Base, a Doctor Who forum I frequent:

"When people were joking about how the film was cursed more than a year ago I doubt they imagined it would lead to the death of cinema itself.

The film negative should be taken to the Vatican and burned before it can destroy the whole universe."

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
kater23
Moneypenny
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger,Living Daylights
Favorite Movies: Animal House, Star Wars(original recipe)

Post by kater23 »

They need the “Top men” from Raiders Of The Lost Ark :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I have no time for No Time To Die :lol:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Now it seems that Regal in the US (owned by the same multinational conglomerate that owns Cineworld in the UK) is shutting its doors too:
https://choice.npr.org/index.html?origi ... 6936466636

Last edited by Kristatos on Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Forgot to add link
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

Elmer Fudd has returned
Mexican Staring Frog
Lieutenant
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
On Her Majesty's Secret Service
Diamonds Are Forever
The Spy Who Loved Me
GoldenEye
Favorite Movies: 12 Angry Men
Midnight Cowboy
Rocky
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Hell or High Water

Post by Mexican Staring Frog »

bjmdds wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:47 pm The so-called experts are throwing around USA death tolls of anywhere from 100,000-240,000 deaths when all is said and done with corona. These are the same "experts" than said January 26th that the coronavirus was no big deal. The clowns on financial shows seem surprised that 10 million people filed for unemployment the past 2 weeks in the USA and that 700,000 jobs were lost in March.--------why the surprise :?: We are closing down the economy to combat an entity that never existed until 3 months ago :!: You cannot test for something that never existed and we were able to create tests for the virus in 8 short weeks :!: :clap: That is remarkable :!: So far 8000 have died in the USA from this pestilence. I give the under/over at 60,000 total deaths in the USA, not the 240,000 these doomsdayers are predicting :!: We will see the correct figure soon and May 1 should start to hopefully be the turning point towards the reduction in the spread of this China owned pandemic.
This post aged... poorly. :shock:
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Kristatos wrote:Now it seems that Regal in the US (owned by the same multinational conglomerate that owns Cineworld in the UK) is shutting its doors too:
https://choice.npr.org/index.html?origi ... 6936466636
I don’t know how any movie theater chain stays in business. That said we almost took our nephews to a classic movie at AMC, ended up not going at the last minute.
From the theaters POV they are asked to triple cost cleaning, and over all over head restarting, then have half baked movie offerings.
I thought the movie might make a come back but not after half a year out of business. People are out of the habit and would rather watch it from home if they watch it. Honestly I pay to see Black widow, wonder woman 1984 and dune, $50-60 to own day of release rental I could bring my self to pay more that $20 even then I’d probably wait unless it was a must see.

Hollywood is right I don’t think the audience is ready to come back yet, if it drags on I’m going to predict some studio will drop a big budget movie early release at it will be a hit the studios are hungry for, this could change the game forever.
What might save the movies is if studios buy the defunct theater chains, I think the antitrust law was either struck down or something about the business changed to make it legally sound.

I enjoy talking BO, digital and early disc release numbers are not released by the studios, digital especially is very hush-hush.
Hollywood’s business model was predicated by inflated box office numbers equaling success, this was the rule for as long as Hollywood can remember, their advertising campaigns are centered around it. After all the headlines the movies actually made far less than advertised.

If Hollywood can make as much or more direct to digital this is the excuse they need to try it. The silver bullet had been theaters owners threatening Hollywood with billions at stake, right now it’s a partnership where the theater owners are the ones not bringing a lot to the table

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
............ :007:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Mexican Staring Frog wrote:
bjmdds wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:47 pm The so-called experts are throwing around USA death tolls of anywhere from 100,000-240,000 deaths when all is said and done with corona. These are the same "experts" than said January 26th that the coronavirus was no big deal. The clowns on financial shows seem surprised that 10 million people filed for unemployment the past 2 weeks in the USA and that 700,000 jobs were lost in March.--------why the surprise :?: We are closing down the economy to combat an entity that never existed until 3 months ago :!: You cannot test for something that never existed and we were able to create tests for the virus in 8 short weeks :!: :clap: That is remarkable :!: So far 8000 have died in the USA from this pestilence. I give the under/over at 60,000 total deaths in the USA, not the 240,000 these doomsdayers are predicting :!: We will see the correct figure soon and May 1 should start to hopefully be the turning point towards the reduction in the spread of this China owned pandemic.
This is why I generally avoid making predictions.

Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Unconfirmed reports suggest that Wonder Woman 1984 will go straight to streaming: https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/wom ... streaming/

Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Kristatos wrote:Unconfirmed reports suggest that Wonder Woman 1984 will go straight to streaming: https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/wom ... streaming/

There’s a lot of talk about this, one theory is they’ll do both streaming and vod Christmas Day. Seems to have some weight because Disney moved Soul to Christmas as a free Disney plus release just to F’ with WB.

What is up in the air is will they take a chance on decent price point with a own option, go with over priced rent, or try to build up hbomax which nobody cares about.
At this point theaters have surrendered, they can’t make money with no content and higher costs. I don’t believe we should bailout theater chains or Hollywood. It’d be like bailing out gas stations for the oil companies. Helping people hurt by closing yes, no reason to limit the scope to theaters plenty of people were run out of business and lost their jobs because of government covid laws.

I think the faction in the studios pushing higher price point and rental only options are those who don’t want to lose theaters. However Hollywood doesn’t need anything more than a way to distribute content and be paid for it.

If WB really wants to give it a go do it like the game industry does, with also means different price points to grab as many on the fence purchases as possible. Deluxe day of release with bonuses and extras, lower tier with maybe 1080p only and ads before the movie.

I think WB can find the middle ground, maybe first buy the tickets own the movies. But it’d mean studio take over of theater chains which will come later. Point is done right not like Disney plus Mulan fiasco, over charging the giving vod better content, and not quite like trolls world tour, i think there possibility for the movie world to change.

Me I’d like theaters to come back. But also realize they were stuck in monopolistic strategies from a century ago. Theater tickets were over priced, snacks and drinks were outright robbery. Conditions were not always clean. Now people associate going to the movies with being exposed to the plague which isn’t going to change anytime soon because there will always be allergies,colds and flu seasons to help reinforce the idea of covid.

bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

In a profile piece for WSJ Magazine, the level of care and innovation that Fukunaga approached No Time To Die’s big opening sequence was laid out pretty clearly. Rather than giving the audience another huge moment where Daniel Craig’s James Bond wrecks the operations of a mid-level villain, and gets a better footing for the adventure he’s about to undertake, something much more EMOTIONAL is on display. What the audience is going to get this time out, in an opening that’s being teased as potentially the longest cold open in Bond history, is a flashback sequence, focused on the childhood of Lea Seydoux’s Madeleine Swann.---------WHAT? :hair: If what was being theorized in the early phases of No Time To Die’s marketing comes true, we’re actually going to see a traumatic moment from Madeleine’s childhood that she references in Spectre. Only, we now know something pretty gigantic about the good doctor’s childhood: her mother was murdered by Safin (Rami Malek), and she herself was a target, leading to that sequence we’ve seen in the trailers where a masked man chases a young girl onto a frozen lake. As The Wall Street Journal reports: “Typically, the pre-title sequences have been throwaway scenes packed with gratuitous chases, violence, and sex. And in every Bond film, save the first (which had no pre-title sequence), they feature 007. However, with the opening scene, Fukunaga bucks tradition in every way: It’s slow-paced, visually arresting, subtitled with dialogue in French, :hair: and entirely Bond-free.” :hair: ‘Some clown chasing a child around the house,’ Fukunaga says with a laugh. ‘Yeah, it’s like I brought back “It” in the first five minutes of Bond.'” Warner Bros.’ two-movie “It” franchise was originally developed by Fukunaga, who ended up leaving the film over creative differences. ---what the hell is this? A Sigmund Freud inspection of Madeleine's psyche? :hair: :cuss: DB will have a field day with his next rant now :!:
dirtybenny
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love and all the Connery films
Favorite Movies: Dirty Harry, Bullitt, The Sting, LA Confidential, The Maltese Falcon, and The Big Sleep

Post by dirtybenny »

bjmdds wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:57 am :cuss: DB will have a field day with his next rant now :!:
I already called this early last year when the production stills leaked from the Norwegian second unit shoot showing a young girl in an 80's style jacket. I said we'll be getting that hotly anticipated Madeline Swann origin story to go with all the others. Problem is (beside no one giving a toss) we already heard her tell it to Craig on the train in SPECTRE, so why subject us to it again and for an extended 30 minute period? Such is the current state of EON.
The Rouge Warrior, On Hermaphrodite's Secret Service Image
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

I figure most of us don't need to be told this, but in case anyone is tempted to believe the endless clickbait stories about how so-and-so has OFFICIALLY been cast as the next James Bond: https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a3437 ... -not-cast/

Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

Post by Omega »

Kristatos wrote:I figure most of us don't need to be told this, but in case anyone is tempted to believe the endless clickbait stories about how so-and-so has OFFICIALLY been cast as the next James Bond: https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a3437 ... -not-cast/

It’s been years of this crap, the d**n bookmakers should have to pay a fine or something.
I do think eon would love to have lynch be 007 in future movies, but I think they’ve got no clue how to actually make that series people will watch. 007 will return .,,,

I think eon forgot what made Ian Fleming’s James Bond and the movie James Bond 007 work, wasn’t that 007 could be anybody it was that James Bond was 007. 007 wasn’t a vacant position James Bond took a chance on, and James Bond wasn’t a code name, agent 7 earned 00 status, agent 7 is James Bond

Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

I keep beating a dead horse but the attention grabber continues to be speculation about the new James Bond, nobody is worried who could possible continue Craig’s movies they’d like to get back to having fun watching the movies. Pretty much everyone assumes Craig leaves and that’s all of the reboot, like Star Trek .

bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Mexican Staring Frog wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:49 am
Sorry to disappoint you Froggy, but in NO way did 215,000 people die from this virus. A LOT of shenanigans with the death totals are running rampant. If someone died in a car crash and was found to have Covid in their system, that was considered to be the cause of death. If terminally ill patients died with Covid in their system, that was considered to be the cause of death. Reports of hospitals getting paid a LOT more money per patient when they "supposedly" died from Covid led to a lot of false billing. Where is the regular flu death totals for 2020? Funny how that is NOT even mentioned any longer. The medical community has embarrassed themselves and has become another political arm of the left. The American Medical Association is not something I trust as they are DEEPLY entrenched with Medicare in Washington DC. It may not be 60,000 ACTUAL deaths from TRUE Covid disease, in fact it could be over 100,000 now, but to believe all of these deaths are from Covid, to me, is pushing it for both monetary and political gain, as sad as that sounds. The is how corrupt the medical profession has become. The head of the CDC is a clueless waste and Fauci has no idea what he is saying any longer.
Last edited by bjmdds on Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

" Many fans" believe the producers should now reinvent the character by casting a non-white performer or even an actress.------really? Who? 12 year olds growing up in this reinvented society where there are more than 2 ACTUAL sexes? Broccoli stated now Bond can be a non-white :!: Are you now Barbara Fleming?
dirtybenny
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love and all the Connery films
Favorite Movies: Dirty Harry, Bullitt, The Sting, LA Confidential, The Maltese Falcon, and The Big Sleep

Post by dirtybenny »

bjmdds wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:54 am " Many fans" believe the producers should now reinvent the character by casting a non-white performer or even an actress.------really? Who? 12 year olds growing up in this reinvented society where there are more than 2 ACTUAL sexes? Broccoli stated now Bond can be a non-white :!: Are you now Barbara Fleming?
Going by what we know about the ending of NTTD I'm pretty sure Babz is at least trying to create an Agent Noami 007 series, however if/when they recast whether that be in 2021 or 2031 I wouldn't be surprised if they went with an Asian actor and capitalize on the Chinese market, especially now that the cinemas have been effectively murdered in the west.
The Rouge Warrior, On Hermaphrodite's Secret Service Image
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

It seems we can add stunt coordinator to Craggy's ever-expanding list of job titles: https://www.nme.com/news/film/no-time-t ... nt-2789981

bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Where is big "O" :?: ------Denver orders new mask mandate amid spiking cases----'We are working to strike a balance between keeping people healthy and keeping Denver’s economy alive,' says Denver mayor :!:
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

bjmdds wrote:Where is big "O" :?: ------Denver orders new mask mandate amid spiking cases----'We are working to strike a balance between keeping people healthy and keeping Denver’s economy alive,' says Denver mayor :!:
Not really that close to Denver. There are people around here completely fed up with the mask law/ordinance and refuse to wear them. Most business offer masks but so far don’t refuse service if ones not worn. We wear them if there’s a sign on the business entrance.
BTW New Mexico has gone crazy in some of their cities, lockdowns and streets closed, batshit crazy stuff.