LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Re: Dirty Benny's Weekly Rant

Post by Omega »

During the PR build up Craig inadvertently took a dig at Eva green , says something about how she’s not a like the beautiful women before that’s she’s actually close to what a real woman looks like not the hyper pretty women that came before. I’m probably way off on exact wording but that was the essence of it. It was also during the time he saying bond isn’t the man you love to hate yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
............ :007:
dirtybenny
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love and all the Connery films
Favorite Movies: Dirty Harry, Bullitt, The Sting, LA Confidential, The Maltese Falcon, and The Big Sleep

Post by dirtybenny »

A short but sweet farewell to Diana Rigg:

http://danielcraigisnotbond.com/index/b ... -mrs-bond/
The Rouge Warrior, On Hermaphrodite's Secret Service Image
acid
Commander
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr No, From Russia with Love, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, Octopussy, For Your Eyes Only, A View To a Kill, The Living Daylights, GoldenEye

Post by acid »

Well said DB. RIP.
"Wonderful for poison pen letters..."
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Thank you DB. She was one of my favorite actresses long before I realized OHMSS was worth watching.

bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

Terrible news. Did EON make any statement?
dirtybenny
Favorite Movies: Dirty Harry, Bullitt, The Sting, LA Confidential, The Maltese Falcon, and The Big Sleep

Post by dirtybenny »

Newest rant, concerning the last trailer:

http://danielcraigisnotbond.com/index/b ... -remember/
dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

Finally got around to writing a farewell to Michael Lonsdale, shouldn't have taken me this long.

http://danielcraigisnotbond.com/index/b ... -lonsdale/
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

dirtybenny wrote:Finally got around to writing a farewell to Michael Lonsdale, shouldn't have taken me this long.

http://danielcraigisnotbond.com/index/b ... -lonsdale/
That was beautiful, Benny, and shows that there's more to you than just ranting. I do think that even the negative reviews of Moonraker acknowledge that Lonsdale was very, very good in it, though.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Very nice. I didn’t recognize him in ronin.

dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

Thank you gentlemen, I appreciate it very much!

You're right Kris, most reviewers do grant Lonsdale some complementary dialog when speaking on Moonraker, the problem is it's generally buried in a negative screed nullifying it. Therefore most just pass the film by not giving it another thought other than to rail against "double taking pigeons" and "BOND IN SPAAAAAACE!" I know I was guilty of it once upon a time, BC (Before Craig), that is perhaps what I am most thankful to the Craig era for, it's caused me to go back and revisit the "lesser films" with fresh eyes, free of the "universal truths" force fed me for so many years and see the films for how brilliant they really are.

As for there being more to me than just rants, look for more academic and general discussion in the coming months, lord knows Babz won't give us anything to discuss until April or later. In general, I look forward to a day when I can speak to the positives of a new Bond film, we'll see if it happens in our lifetime.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

I'm the same. The humourless self-importance of the Craig era has caused me to look at films like Moonraker in a more positive light. And to clarify, the "more than just ranting" comment was solely a reference to the title of this thread, not an indication that I thought it was all you were capable of.

dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

Kristatos wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:51 pm And to clarify, the "more than just ranting" comment was solely a reference to the title of this thread, not an indication that I thought it was all you were capable of.
I know that Kris, I just wanted to take the opportunity to tease a few things I have in the works.
dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

Latest rant, as always happy to hear what you think:

http://danielcraigisnotbond.com/index/b ... no-ninjas/
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

dirtybenny wrote:Latest rant, as always happy to hear what you think:

Just the title made me laugh. As for the rest, the only thing I really disagreed with was the idea that "indie" and "old school" are mutually exclusive. Two of the last films I went to see in the Before Times were Once Upon A Time In Hollywood and Joker. Both could be described as having an indie ethos, despite being studio pics, but they were both ostentatiously retro in their stylings.

dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

Good point Kris, I guess I read her comment differently, I saw her comment of "old cinema" in relation to "early Bond films" as in the establishment, rather than as you point out as a "retro" feel.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Kristatos wrote:
dirtybenny wrote:Latest rant, as always happy to hear what you think:

Just the title made me laugh. As for the rest, the only thing I really disagreed with was the idea that "indie" and "old school" are mutually exclusive. Two of the last films I went to see in the Before Times were Once Upon A Time In Hollywood and Joker. Both could be described as having an indie ethos, despite being studio pics, but they were both ostentatiously retro in their stylings.

DB, very nice. so much there it’s hard to pick a starting point.
Hollywood wants to skip over the real work of what it takes to be the best or equal to somebody, they cast lynch as 007 but dropped in a marvel super hero’s back story. Not enough to be a good agent but they have to be a stereotypical hyper overachiever nobody can relate to. I think lynch gets the feeling EON phoned it in so tried to cover for them. It may just be the official talking points but that’s a problem too.
I do think her old school indie remark is the eon snobbery leaking out. They want the gravitas of the artistically recognition of a indie film, but like ever other Craig movies PR they double speak. Only out would be if Hollywood today considers the old school film disciplines used to make the early bond movies as so alien to them that they are closer to art house indie production values.
Anytime the actor has to go out and spell out what #s the film covers should tell us the finished product is so bad the audience will never arrive at the conclusions the producers want with our being told what to think.

dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

Omega wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:49 pm Hollywood today considers the old school film disciplines used to make the early bond movies as so alien to them that they are closer to art house indie production values.
I think that's what it is O, Hollywood for the most part has devolved into a revolving door of reboots, remakes and franchise reinvention, rather than coming up with something new, or in the case of properties like Bond, giving the audience what they expect. Instead they reinvent the wheel, while those efforts would be better appreciated in a totally new film.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

I was going to reply the Craig’s women empowerment message is trouble by Carey Lowell, Izabella Scorupco, Michelle Yeoh, Sophie Marceau, Halle Berry, being so d**n good and better female leads than the crap Craig had. Yes I did exclude Denise Richards and Teri Hatcher.
Some of the earlier Bond girls were not stereotypical of the time, um the 70s not my favorite, there were a few creepy scenes swingers would be more comfortable with.

Veronica
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love,GoldenEye,The Spy Who Loved Me,Goldfinger,Dr.No
Favorite Movies: After the Sunset,The Devil Wears Prada,The Thomas Crown Affair,To Catch a Thief,Midnight in Paris,North by Northwest, Purple Noon, La piscine.

Post by Veronica »

The ship called "being obsessed with race" has set the sails quite some time go I think.
Not only is a black actress explaining these days how she plays a black character(shocker!!), Freddie Mercury is reduced to a "gay and an immigrant" in Malek's own words when he recieved his Oscar and Rolling Stone's list of best 500 albums of all time was accomanied by the view how "music is more than just four white guys playing guitars".

It's barely about making good films anymore. More about being as woke as possible because god forbid someone feels offended. Except a white straight male of course. You all need to burn in hell apparently.
dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

My pathetic attempt at honoring the greatest Bond of all time:

http://danielcraigisnotbond.com/index/b ... 1930-2020/