Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Re: The Last Movie You Watched

Post by carl stromberg »

I watched a few new films at Christmas.

Rambo Last Blood was enjoyable - like an 80s Charles Bronson film.

I enjoyed The Irishman where Al Pacino gave one of his over the top perfomances. It was nice to see the old gang together for one more organised crime film.

I also watched Villain, a British gangster film from 1972, where Richard Burton plays the criminal Vic Dakin. I've never seen it before. It did not do too well at the box office, but it a very good film in the vein of Get Carter.
Bring back Bond!
Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Moonraker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

Post by Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry »

Madhouse (1974)

A typical camp seventies British horror. It stars Vincent Price and Peter Cushing, who I think were associated with horror movies in some way. :evil: Great entertainment.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Just got back from watching Birds of Prey. I thought it was a lot of fun. The comedic tone reminded me of Guardians of the Galaxy, so it gives me a pretty good idea of what to expect from James Gunn's Suicide Squad sequel. It won't win any Oscars like Joker, but I left the cinema with a smile on my face, and I can't really ask any more than that. 8/10.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

I didn’t get guardians of the galaxy from it. Wannabe Deadpool more than anything

It’s enjoyable and deserves to do better but won’t probably because of the R rating more than anything, the girl power stuff I think most people take in stride

But as somebody I was talk movies with mentioned they should have had brief cameos of the new bats and/or other bigger DC characters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
............ :007:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

I don't think there was much "girl power stuff" in it, really. I mean, yes, it was a film about women, but there was zero sermonising about how sisterhood is powerful, or how hard it is to make it in a man's world etc etc.

Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Kristatos wrote:I don't think there was much "girl power stuff" in it, really. I mean, yes, it was a film about women, but there was zero sermonising about how sisterhood is powerful, or how hard it is to make it in a man's world etc etc.

really? it was creepy and rapey at times with Gotham city’s underworld bad GUYs and police department taking it out on these women because they are women. I thought it was a very clear message.
Harley was only allowed to misbehave as much as she did because of the joker. The detective was only held back in rank and had her achievements and cases stolen because she’s a woman. Black Canary was only where she was being used and threatened be a gangster because she is a woman.

Huntress, was just awesome and underused.

Maybe girl power is the wrong world but it a empowerment message.
I don’t think it should bother anybody, comic and sci-fi fans are years ahead of most entertainment in accepting different social aspects in stories because it’s cool not bothered by the social norm it violates

Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Kris, thinking about the movie some more. I think the need for the each leading lady to have those kind of back stories was kind of overkill. To me that made it agenda driven.

Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Did Montoya only get her credit stolen because she's a woman, though? That's not actually stated in the movie, although I'm sure we've all heard the stories of women making suggestions in business meetings only to be ignored, and then a man makes the same suggestion and is hailed as a genius. The association isn't spelled out, however.

Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Um, you may be right kris. The comments from her partner and former partner and lawyer lover seemed to me to indicate she was screwed over because she was a woman but I’d have to watch it again to see

Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Omega wrote:Um, you may be right kris. The comments from her partner and former partner and lawyer lover seemed to me to indicate she was screwed over because she was a woman but I’d have to watch it again to see

I'd have to watch it again too to be certain, but I only remember comments about her partner being a dick for stealing her credit. I don't remember anyone saying "typical man", or anything along those lines.

Mexican Staring Frog
Lieutenant
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
On Her Majesty's Secret Service
Diamonds Are Forever
The Spy Who Loved Me
GoldenEye
Favorite Movies: 12 Angry Men
Midnight Cowboy
Rocky
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Hell or High Water

Post by Mexican Staring Frog »

I thought Birds of Prey was so much fun. Much better than Suicide Squad.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

I never saw Suicide Squad. Fortunately, you don't need to have seen it to enjoy Birds of Prey.

Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Mexican Staring Frog wrote:I thought Birds of Prey was so much fun. Much better than Suicide Squad.
It was fun, and I’d agree better than suicide squad, probably because it wasn’t caught up in the Zack Snyder vision of the DCU.

Mexican Staring Frog
Lieutenant
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
On Her Majesty's Secret Service
Diamonds Are Forever
The Spy Who Loved Me
GoldenEye
Favorite Movies: 12 Angry Men
Midnight Cowboy
Rocky
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Hell or High Water

Post by Mexican Staring Frog »

Thank GOODNESS that Zack Snyder nightmare vision is done with.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

I have a BritBox subscription, mostly for watching old episodes of Doctor Who. Last night, I used it to watch Rising Damp (1980), which came at the tail end of the trend for turning popular British sitcoms into feature films, and which I hadn't seen before. Sadly, it was little more than a greatest hits compilation, cobbling together unrelated bits from various TV episodes. This meant that there was no real plot as such, just a series of things that happened. The top-notch cast helped elevate it somewhat, with Christopher Strauli (of Only When I Laugh fame) acting as a suspiciously similar substitute for the late Richard Beckinsale's character. But I can't really recommend it, even if you're a die-hard fan of the series.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

The Last Movie You Watched

Post by Omega »

We watched Indiana Jones and the last crusade with our nieces and nephew this afternoon. Everything is shut down and we offered to keep them at our place while their parents try the grocery stores.

One of the best father son movies ever made. So many little exchanges between Harrison Ford and Sean Connery that are perfect.
Indiana Jones is one of the coolest characters ever to try to introduce a father figure is impossible, but not when you get Sean Connery. The other coolest dude in history.
Incredible scenes when Indy falls back in to teenager mode, “yes sir”. And when both father and son come to appreciate there is more about their son/father than they appreciated.

Also River Phoenix was a much better young Indy than I remember, guess I’ve seen quite a few attempts to capture Harrison Ford’s coolness. But river’s mannerisms, speech patterns believable as young Indiana.

Truly great filmmaking. Story telling and acting, special effects all done well. The kids thought some of it was “early CGI” I explained sets, artists painting realistic backdrops and green screens.
Riiiight, sure they did uncle.
Wanted to make them watch the fellowship of the ring to show the difference in real set and perspective but some are too young/sensitive for the level of violence.

Far as family story telling the only story I feel comes close is Guardians of the galaxy volume two, with Yondu.

carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

Kristatos wrote:I have a BritBox subscription, mostly for watching old episodes of Doctor Who. Last night, I used it to watch Rising Damp (1980), which came at the tail end of the trend for turning popular British sitcoms into feature films, and which I hadn't seen before. Sadly, it was little more than a greatest hits compilation, cobbling together unrelated bits from various TV episodes. This meant that there was no real plot as such, just a series of things that happened. The top-notch cast helped elevate it somewhat, with Christopher Strauli (of Only When I Laugh fame) acting as a suspiciously similar substitute for the late Richard Beckinsale's character. But I can't really recommend it, even if you're a die-hard fan of the series.
This is one of those films I always watch at Christmas - with the other sitcom spinoffs (such as On the Buses), Carry Ons etc. I enjoy watching it, although I'd rather they made a new story up. I read an interview with Christopher Strauli who said Leonard Rossiter did not like him much during filming.

I have not watched the Indiana Jones films for ages. I have to watch them again.
Bring back Bond!
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

carl stromberg wrote: This is one of those films I always watch at Christmas - with the other sitcom spinoffs (such as On the Buses), Carry Ons etc. I enjoy watching it, although I'd rather they made a new story up. I read an interview with Christopher Strauli who said Leonard Rossiter did not like him much during filming.
It probably wasn't anything Strauli did. Beckinsale had died only a year before the film's release (during post-production on the Porridge movie, which I watched earlier today), and I would imagine it would be hard not to see the new guy as an interloper, even if it was only subconsciously.

Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Empire strikes back UHD 4K release
Wow! Really great sound and picture quality. Can’t tell you how many times I’ve watched this movie, Disney did a great job on the 4K master, much better than the Lucas/fox Blu-ray release which was well done .

carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

I watched The Punch and Judy Man on Talking Pictures. It's the old Tony Hancock classic.

Bring back Bond!