US Presidential election 2020

A place for friendly discussions of politics in general.
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Re: US Presidential election 2020

Post by Omega »

Nobody believes Romney, or McCain, flake or any of the others acted out of Conscience, they are petty political animals. Romney begged at trumps feet to be secretary of State, didn’t get it, before that he was telling his friends in 2016 he might just have to get involved/run for office to shut the Trump candidacy down.so there’s a history,
Romney might actually believe what he says nobody else does. He killed his political career more that it already was.
He lost me with the delightful Peter Twitter handle he used to troll his critics and take “smart swipes at trump”. Another self important man who put himself before the country and people he swore to help. Actually serve, he’s a servant not the elected lord of Utah.

The establishment republicans can’t understand trump, just like establishment Democrats can’t understand Bernie Sanders. They both (trump & sanders) are usurpers using the party but not of the party.
Romney, Jeff flake and others think acting out will make them a folk heroes and when trump finally falls from the people’s good graces they being the smart ones who had spoke up and acted out against trump will be hero’s to the party, supercharging their careers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
............ :007:
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

Kristatos wrote:He said that he *doesn't* want his party to become a cult. Meanwhile, Boss Trump is calling for Mitt Romney to be expelled from the Republican Party for placing the demands of his conscience over personal loyalty to him.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
You actually think Romney voted his CONSCIENCE? :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: That is PATHETIC and it shows how naive you actually are :!: Romney is behaving like a spoiled rich kid who did not get what he wanted, aka to be President. The ONLY member of the Republican party in both the House and the Senate that voted to impeach Trump was elite Romney :!: That is over 250 votes with only ONE voting for impeachment, and you believe he did it for his conscience :!: Priceless :!: Big O, you get it. Do you see what we are dealing with here? :hair: Image
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

bjmdds wrote:You actually think Romney voted his CONSCIENCE? :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: That is PATHETIC and it shows how naive you actually are :!: Romney is behaving like a spoiled rich kid who did not get what he wanted, aka to be President. The ONLY member of the Republican party in both the House and the Senate that voted to impeach Trump was elite Romney :!: That is over 250 votes with only ONE voting for impeachment, and you believe he did it for his conscience :!: Priceless :!: Big O, you get it. Do you see what we are dealing with here? :hair:
Romney had nothing to gain by placing his oath to uphold the constitution over his vow of Omerta. The easy route would be to join his colleagues in declaring that "if the President does it, it's not illegal". I never thought that a milquetoast like Romney would be the only Republican to show any balls, though.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Kristatos wrote: I never thought that a milquetoast like Romney would be the only Republican to show any balls, though.
It’s because Romney is milquetoast that he plays it this way. Maybe he actually believes it but we saw McCain screw the nation over because he was pissed at trump. Not that he didn’t have a right to be, but even so he campaigned on a promise he was willing to break if it meant showing disrespect to trump forgetting about the American people.

Romney is playing the safe road as he and others are still expecting Trump fatigue to pull him back to earth and normal politics to resume, if it ever does they’d be light years ahead of the pack as the only voices not going along with their own party.

I don’t think Romney is motivated by taking his oath seriously, or moved by the case the house presented. He may just be a zealot who believes trump should be stoped and the republican party returned to their normal billionaire masters.

Honestly Bernie Sanders has the same problem with the Democrat party, John Kerry is their mitt.
In both cases the parties have candidates who were not party members even ten years ago and don’t follow the party line. And are only using the established parties as a platform to reach voters.

Romney’s problem maybe no republican believes he’s acting out of conscience, and democrats will but will never vote for him. He’s going to pay an immediate political price, but he has got until 2025 to get re-elected.

If another republican had voted to convict I might buy that reasoning, mitt Romney from the start came off as waiting for a chance to take a shot.

Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Moonraker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

Post by Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry »

Is Bernie going to win? Or that young chap with the name everyone pronounces differently?
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry wrote:Is Bernie going to win? Or that young chap with the name everyone pronounces differently?
if it’s a fair contest Bernie has a shot. Mayor Pete doesn’t, he perfectly made to order by a committee, should be acceptable to any demographic in the Democrat party. But younger voters do not like him for some reason

Now former governor Hickenlooper might have been a better candidate than most think. I glade he’s not running cause I can’t stand him, no idea why he dropped out besides the senate seat is a sweater job and he has a better chance of winning.

Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

I think younger voters don't like Buttigieg because he seems inauthentic - like you said, made to order by committee. He did well in Iowa and New Hampshire, but those are mostly white states. His support is about 4% with non-white voters, due to allegations that as mayor, he instigated a racist policing policy.

Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

I also don’t think Bloomberg has a chance either. The Democrat party elite want him, they are already breaking fuels to allow his name be on ballots and changing the requirements to be at the debates . I think trump may start attacking Bloomberg as something to do until Bernie gets the nomination

Bernie would be the tougher populist fight, and he’s weaker now than 4 years ago. He knuckles under to the Clintons stealing the nomination he sold his supporters out to cash in while still doing his it should be free act waiting to run again.
He’s got supporters, and he speaks to leftest populist in his party. I’m not sure how much the rest of his party trusts him.

Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

I think Bernie is really the only candidate who has a chance of beating Trump, though it won't be easy. It is hard to unseat an incumbent president when the economy is relatively stable. Bloomberg would lose in a landslide. People would revolt at the idea of someone like him trying to buy the presidency. The only reason he's even considered a serious candidate is that the party elites like him. But they only care about attracting big-money donations from Wall Street hedge fund managers, techbros, and Hollywood celebrities. Actually winning elections is just a side-hustle as far as they're concerned.

Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Bloomberg isn’t likable, his nanny state policies will not play outside big cities. I doubt he can win but one or two primaries, narrowly at that.

Bernie is likable, relatable and talks a good game to people who feel they have nothing. Trump does a lot of the same, populist versus populist, but Bernie is weaker 4 years with nothing to show and trump is stronger with the good economy.
I expect Jeb! Bush and mitt Romney to take Bernie sanders out be the democrat presidential ticket but the democrats will probably sabotage sanders first

bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

Mayor Petey is history :!: No surprise. The guy was a joke :!: How anyone could think this character was a serious contender is beyond belief. Bloomberg sees himself a king and buys everything he wants but this time his money won't buy him votes :!: Look for fist fights at the July Democrat convention in deciding their final nominee. :fight:
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Mayor Pete was not going to make it, he was too perfect as a Democrat candidate and just didn’t get the younger voters.

Bloomberg I suspect is going to crash and burn soon, well maybe not burn, but I doubt he’s going to win much.

Bernie Sanders is still my bet as the one to beat.

Biden is going to stall, SC is a outlier IMGO, the old Democrat network is at full power there, it was a Clinton and Obama stronghold.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Omega wrote:Mayor Pete was not going to make it, he was too perfect as a Democrat candidate and just didn’t get the younger voters.

Bloomberg I suspect is going to crash and burn soon, well maybe not burn, but I doubt he’s going to win much.

Biden is going to stall, SC is a outlier IMGO, the old Democrat network is at full power there, it was a Clinton and Obama stronghold.
I thought Buttigeig would hang on until Wednesday at least. Biden is expected to do well in Alabama tomorrow, which has a similar profile to South Carolina. But these are solid red states, which are not going to vote Democrat in the general.

Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

US Presidential election 2020

Post by Omega »

Kristatos wrote:
Omega wrote:Mayor Pete was not going to make it, he was too perfect as a Democrat candidate and just didn’t get the younger voters.

I thought Buttigeig would hang on until Wednesday at least. Biden is expected to do well in Alabama tomorrow, which has a similar profile to South Carolina. But these are solid red states, which are not going to vote Democrat in the general.

good point. Too bad the press doesn’t get that wining those states is just strong against a weak candidate in a state they will never see electoral votes from in a presidential election.

Honestly Sanders is the best hope for real enthusiasm. But like trump he means the establishment Democrat party is dead

Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Oh about the why the other contenders cashed in, this is their high point where they can make a deal for position in the party for the future. After today the results are set in stone and nobody has to give them a thing.

If they were honest about why they are running they’d be faithful to their supporters and at least play the hand they have.
But right now their support means something to the Democrat party trying to keep Bernie Sanders out of the election, so be a never Bernie party loyalist and maybe get ahead for the next round of primaries in four years.

I believe this is Joe Biden last gasp, I think Bernie is going to get stronger and this last stand isn’t of strength it is all the resources the Democrat establishment could manage to put sanders down by building up the most preferable choice from what was left of potential candidates. Much sooner than the republicans did when they failed to stop trump at every firewall they thought they had.

Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Bloomberg is out now, but Biden is back to front-runner status. Donald Trump must be very happy with last night's results. Biden seems an eminently beatable candidate, from his point of view, whereas Bernie's supporters are much more energised.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Kristatos wrote:Bloomberg is out now, but Biden is back to front-runner status. Donald Trump must be very happy with last night's results. Biden seems an eminently beatable candidate, from his point of view, whereas Bernie's supporters are much more energised.
I agree. I think Bernie’s supporters are closer to the enthusiasm of trumps.

Biden had to have the party call in every favor to rig the race so he could get a few states. It’s obviously rigged and we don’t know they are allocating the delegates correctly, Hillary would lose a state a come out ahead , wouldn’t be surprised if that happens again

Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

So, here's Biden surrogate Hilary Rosen whitesplaining Martin Luther King to Nina Turner:

Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Looks like Dementia Joe was effectively handed the nomination last night, thus all but guaranteeing Trump's re-election.

Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Kristatos wrote:Looks like Dementia Joe was effectively handed the nomination last night, thus all but guaranteeing Trump's re-election.

I don’t think joe Biden is in a place of strength, the Democrat political machine right before Super Tuesday eliminated all contenders but the one the establishment wanted to win.

Sanders doesn’t know how to fight a political fight, he should have called out the democrat party when it started moving to cheat him out of the nomination again. He will probably once again do nothing at the convention. He could blow up the convention but realistically he’ll probably be happy to get a speaking fee and the spotlight for ten minutes.

His supporters are motivated but unless the sanders is ready to fight the BS of the party machine moving against them his supporters will once again be disappointed. Last time they were maneuvered off the floor so they couldn’t spontaneously protest the Democrat cheat machine.

It does show the political parties firewall developed to stop the next trump can work if the entire party gets behind it. If any of the people running were serious about why they were running it would be divided vote totals making it harder for anyone person to runaway with the nomination.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Biden doesn’t make it to the convention and is replaced by another establishment candidate for health concerns. I don’t know why the democrats are willing to run another secretive, frail, candidate. But I think the party has no actual intention of winning this election, they are resigned to losing this one and positing themselves for the next election. It’s why they allowed bill Clinton to get the nomination in 1992, serious candidates were sure they’d lose against the popular war time president bush, and they were right except for Ross Perot blowing up the election and hurting the bush family by taking 18% of the vote. That’s not going to happen this time, so Biden loses well and retires after helping his son get hired somewhere else crooked.