The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Re: The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

Post by Kristatos »

(Don't worry, he corrects the Blofeld/Goldfinger error in a reply).Image

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

The 007 actor is said to feel like the script is in need of some “polishing”, and wants to introduce more "humour and offbeat" writing to the project, something that Waller-Bridge is best known for. :shock:
dirtybenny
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love and all the Connery films
Favorite Movies: Dirty Harry, Bullitt, The Sting, LA Confidential, The Maltese Falcon, and The Big Sleep

Post by dirtybenny »

bjmdds wrote:The 007 actor is said to feel like the script is in need of some “polishing”, and wants to introduce more "humour and offbeat" writing to the project, something that Waller-Bridge is best known for. :shock:

Considering the "lightness of touch" Craig insisted on in SP, I don't hold his opinion on humor in too high regard.
The Rouge Warrior, On Hermaphrodite's Secret Service Image
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

bjmdds wrote:The 007 actor is said to feel like the script is in need of some “polishing”, and wants to introduce more "humour and offbeat" writing to the project, something that Waller-Bridge is best known for. :shock:
babs has allowed Craig to supposedly have input in the stories and who’s hired to write it. He even claims credit for the stories when he think it’s a critical success, or will be praised by the right circles.
I wonder if he really has the input pr says, because the wonderkin writers who has the right perigee are never allowed to make the movie they pen, some excuse is invented to polish the script up with the end result P&W are brought back. That seems like with Eon or studio pumping the brakes not Craig using his creative control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
............ :007:
dirtybenny
Favorite Movies: Dirty Harry, Bullitt, The Sting, LA Confidential, The Maltese Falcon, and The Big Sleep

Post by dirtybenny »

Omega wrote:
babs has allowed Craig to supposedly have input in the stories and who’s hired to write it. He even claims credit for the stories when he think it’s a critical success, or will be praised by the right circles.
I wonder if he really has the input pr says, because the wonderkin writers who has the right perigee are never allowed to make the movie they pen, some excuse is invented to polish the script up with the end result P&W are brought back. That seems like with Eon or studio pumping the brakes not Craig using his creative control.

One could argue this is evidence that Craig does indeed have the input he claims. Think about it, Boyle an auteur director who actually wants story control unlike Mendes is let go for "creative differences." Boyle said going in the caveat would be he films his story and only his story. Next thing you know he's out on his arches and known hacks P&W are back in. Does that sound like the act of a studio, a studio whom I'm sure were given at the very least a superficial framework of what he wanted to do before bringing him in? A studio who would love the added distinction such a film maker would add to the production? A studio who is already behind schedule? Or does it sound like the act of a pretentious overly empowered star, with the executive producer wrapped around his finger, who felt the material didn't jibe with his grandiose interpretation of the character?
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Good point. My only counter would be if babs and mgm got cold feet on killing bond if that was Boyle’s intent.

dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

Omega wrote:Good point. My only counter would be if babs and mgm got cold feet on killing bond if that was Boyle’s intent.

I may be wrong but I thought it was implied Babz and Craggy were the ones who were keen on the death plot and Boyle was against it?
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

You know I’m not sure if I read it or not, but I thought one of the rumors was Boyle quit because they wanted to change direction. Far as Craig it was also rumored he wanted to kill bond on screen instead of just reality. So I’m not sure if true at all that Boyle and Craig were not on the same page then studio steps theory takes place, Craig is in it for the payday and chance to maybe get some arthouse send off.
All the writers make me think you may be right about Craig have more say than he should. Because it seems like they are searching for some arthouse edge to try to go out on recapturing the acclaim he had after CR. In retrospect if he had quit after CR as he threatened to do he’d probably have a lazenby like reputation of being better than he was at the role. And I don’t hate lazenby but ohmss is a one off I think he’d have grown into the role but with one movie somewhat thought out and planned by eon he didn’t have to prove him self several times out like most bonds. And this is where Craig gets worse instead of better, other grow into the role and are more comfortable with it Craig keeps trying to recapture CR

dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

I think you're absolutely right O, Craig has been chasing CR for the last decade and a half rather than growing into a fully fleshed out interpretation of his own. He's basically playing the same perpetually pissed off sour puss he did in CR and ironically CR was supposed to be "Bond begins" which infers he's going to become more Bond over the years rather than stagnate.

I think you're spot on about Lazenby, I don't dislike him ether but he definitely benefited from a top notch script and had he stuck around as the writing got a bit shall we say cornier IDK his reputation would have fared as well.
Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Moonraker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

Post by Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry »

Happy Easter - as Craig continues his bizarre tenure as "Bond".

Veronica
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love,GoldenEye,The Spy Who Loved Me,Goldfinger,Dr.No
Favorite Movies: After the Sunset,The Devil Wears Prada,The Thomas Crown Affair,To Catch a Thief,Midnight in Paris,North by Northwest, Purple Noon, La piscine.

Post by Veronica »

My question is:does Lazenby really have a reputation of being better than he actually was? From what I saw he is almost always thought of as the weakest Bond unless there's someone who wants to prove the world Moore was the worst thing that ever happened to the franchise and thank god we got serious Craig who doesn't crack jokes because god forbid you are actually funny.
dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

Veronica wrote:My question is:does Lazenby really have a reputation of being better than he actually was? From what I saw he is almost always thought of as the weakest Bond unless there's someone who wants to prove the world Moore was the worst thing that ever happened to the franchise and thank god we got serious Craig who doesn't crack jokes because god forbid you are actually funny.

You're right V that Lazenby is considered the weakest Bond by most, but he does have his supporters who claim, had he stayed he would have grown into the role and claim him as their favorite Bond. Now that may be true, the world will never know. However he could have flopped, especially considering the camp direction the films took in the 70's. Where Moore was able to pull it all off with his tongue firmly placed in cheek, would Lazenby have done as well? People forget Lazenby was dubbed for nearly a quarter of his film making his job much easier. To be clear I'm not knocking him, just saying his legacy like Craig's has benefited from the quality of his first (and only) film.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

I actually believe that the quality of OHMSS'a script hurt Lazenby rather than helping him. Of all the '60s Bond films, it was the one that required the most actual acting. I think he would have fared better in more action-oriented films, where his martial arts training could have come into use. TMWTGG would have played to his strengths better than OHMSS did.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Veronica
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love,GoldenEye,The Spy Who Loved Me,Goldfinger,Dr.No
Favorite Movies: After the Sunset,The Devil Wears Prada,The Thomas Crown Affair,To Catch a Thief,Midnight in Paris,North by Northwest, Purple Noon, La piscine.

Post by Veronica »

Kristatos wrote:I actually believe that the quality of OHMSS'a script hurt Lazenby rather than helping him. Of all the '60s Bond films, it was the one that required the most actual acting. I think he would have fared better in more action-oriented films, where his martial arts training could have come into use. TMWTGG would have played to his strengths better than OHMSS did.
I agree completely with this. :up:
dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

Kristatos wrote:I actually believe that the quality of OHMSS'a script hurt Lazenby rather than helping him. Of all the '60s Bond films, it was the one that required the most actual acting. I think he would have fared better in more action-oriented films, where his martial arts training could have come into use. TMWTGG would have played to his strengths better than OHMSS did.
Very good point Kris, I very much agree, I'm just saying Lazenby is put on a pedestal by many because he was in OHMSS whom probably otherwise wouldn't.
Veronica
Agent

Post by Veronica »

dirtybenny wrote:
Veronica wrote:My question is:does Lazenby really have a reputation of being better than he actually was? From what I saw he is almost always thought of as the weakest Bond unless there's someone who wants to prove the world Moore was the worst thing that ever happened to the franchise and thank god we got serious Craig who doesn't crack jokes because god forbid you are actually funny.

You're right V that Lazenby is considered the weakest Bond by most, but he does have his supporters who claim, had he stayed he would have grown into the role and claim him as their favorite Bond. Now that may be true, the world will never know. However he could have flopped, especially considering the camp direction the films took in the 70's. Where Moore was able to pull it all off with his tongue firmly placed in cheek, would Lazenby have done as well? People forget Lazenby was dubbed for nearly a quarter of his film making his job much easier. To be clear I'm not knocking him, just saying his legacy like Craig's has benefited from the quality of his first (and only) film.
It's somewhat hard to say would Lazenby fare better in other films. I am somewhat inclined to say he wouldn't grow all that much into the role. He wasn't an actor in the first place and he didn't project efortless cool like Cary Grant for example who basically played himself in every movie. Maybe that was because he was nervous since he never starred in a movie before but I feel like he didn't have it in himself in the first place.

And while Lazenby's reputation is helped in part because OHMSS is considered to be a strong movie in general it's still acknowledged Lazenby was a weak link. In comparison, Craig truly benefits greatly from CR, a movie with an almost godly reputation. I just like to call it the most overrated movie of the 21st century so far(besidesCall Me By Your Name but that's another discussion).
OHMSS might be called the best Bond movie even but I never heard anyone say Lazenby is the best Bond. While with CR Craig was hailed as best Bond EVER(or since Connery) and somehow managed to maintain that title for the most part even after a torture his next movie was and that Home Alone remake mixed with the feel of Nolan's Batman. I feel like with Spectre things started to change.
dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

Veronica wrote:
dirtybenny wrote:

It's somewhat hard to say would Lazenby fare better in other films. I am somewhat inclined to say he wouldn't grow all that much into the role. He wasn't an actor in the first place and he didn't project efortless cool like Cary Grant for example who basically played himself in every movie. Maybe that was because he was nervous since he never starred in a movie before but I feel like he didn't have it in himself in the first place.

And while Lazenby's reputation is helped in part because OHMSS is considered to be a strong movie in general it's still acknowledged Lazenby was a weak link. In comparison, Craig truly benefits greatly from CR, a movie with an almost godly reputation. I just like to call it the most overrated movie of the 21st century so far(besidesCall Me By Your Name but that's another discussion).
OHMSS might be called the best Bond movie even but I never heard anyone say Lazenby is the best Bond. While with CR Craig was hailed as best Bond EVER(or since Connery) and somehow managed to maintain that title for the most part even after a torture his next movie was and that Home Alone remake mixed with the feel of Nolan's Batman. I feel like with Spectre things started to change.

Well said V, believe it or not there are some and they are a minority, who claim Lazenby their favorite. For example I came across a thinly disguised self help book in which the author claims just that, now I don't know how much credence to give to the opinion of such an individual who writes such a book, but there it is. You're also right in that Laz never got the acclaim Craig has, but there is a slight parallel between the two actors which Omega pointed out and I attempted to expand on.
Count_Lippe
Agent

Post by Count_Lippe »

They say Lazenby was very cocky and self-confident though, I don't think he was nervous. He also handled himself well in the fight scenes and the filmmakers were impressed by this. But he didn't have the same screen presence as Connery and Moore.

Lazenby was sort of a poor man's version of 007, and the movie OHMSS is overrated. Some fans say it's their favourite Bond movie, but I believe it could have been a much better film. In broad terms it's a well-made film but there is a lot of stuff in it that don't quite work.
Count_Lippe
Agent

Post by Count_Lippe »

Tracy & Bond

[video][/video]
Veronica
Agent

Post by Veronica »

Dalton and D'Abo were one hell of a couple. I always felt D'Abo was a little bit smitten.