The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Re: The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

Post by Kristatos »

RIP Albert Finney. I won't mention that alleged Bond film he was in, but I saw his Scrooge at Christmas, and thought he was very underrated in the role.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Veronica
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love,GoldenEye,The Spy Who Loved Me,Goldfinger,Dr.No
Favorite Movies: After the Sunset,The Devil Wears Prada,The Thomas Crown Affair,To Catch a Thief,Midnight in Paris,North by Northwest, Purple Noon, La piscine.

Post by Veronica »

R.I.P. Finney. I loved him in A Good Year
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

He was great in Erin Brockovich too.

Veronica
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love,GoldenEye,The Spy Who Loved Me,Goldfinger,Dr.No
Favorite Movies: After the Sunset,The Devil Wears Prada,The Thomas Crown Affair,To Catch a Thief,Midnight in Paris,North by Northwest, Purple Noon, La piscine.

Post by Veronica »

He made a great Churchill as well.
Also, A Rather English Marriage. How I adore Joanna Lumley.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Veronica wrote:How I adore Joanna Lumley.
Doesn't everybody?
Veronica
Agent

Post by Veronica »

Kristatos wrote:
Veronica wrote:How I adore Joanna Lumley.
Doesn't everybody?
That's true. It's probably as uncommon as someone disliking Connery as Bond. Or Cary Grant in anything ever.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

More Bond 25 location rumours: https://www.esquire.com/uk/latest-news/ ... -shooting/

The complex they're describing in Athens sounds like the Stavros Niarchos Cultural Centre, a place I know well. Dammit, if this rumour is true, I may find myself having to see this film after all.

Veronica
Agent

Post by Veronica »

Another rumoured location is Dubrovnik, Croatia. If it is true, there's a good chance the crew might stay in one of the villas my friend is renting and also making sure the guests have all they want. Inner gossip, anyone? :mrgreen:
All that aside, wasn't there another shooting delay?
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Supposedly, basically the guys who do the ground work for photography and filming is nothing is happening until late April. I wonder if some of these rumored locations are place holders until they get photos and set planning to decide where to go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
............ :007:
Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Moonraker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

Post by Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry »

RIP Albert Finney. I always watch Scrooge and his version of Murder on the Orient Express at Christmas. Scrooge was on again today on a channel too.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Dunno if anyone else here has a Scribd subscription, but Raymond Benson's continuation novels are now on there. They may have been on there before, but they have just turned up in the "Books recommended for you" bit on the homepage.

Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

This time next year maybe we’ll be done with Craig?

A February release I just don’t see it paying off unless they are aiming for Golden week in China, there are no big school holidays or other events to help the mon-fri box office, like they get releasing over the October holiday in the uk and over thanksgiving and Christmas November December. Maybe babs hopes her Jane bond movie will take the nov bo but I doubt it.

There are successful February movies Deadpool comes to mind but they are not billion dollar club members

Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Oops forgot about black panther but bond is not doing those numbers

Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Omega wrote:Oops forgot about black panther but bond is not doing those numbers

Black Panther was an outlier. Buena Vista said that it was released in February to tie in with Black History Month, but everyone at the time thought that was an excuse to shunt it off to a graveyard slot. Disney were probably as surprised as anyone when it turned out to be the biggest hit of the year.

Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Kristatos wrote:

Black Panther was an outlier. Buena Vista said that it was released in February to tie in with Black History Month, but everyone at the time thought that was an excuse to shunt it off to a graveyard slot. Disney were probably as surprised as anyone when it turned out to be the biggest hit of the year.

It was a really obvious ploy, and nobody in Hollywood expected the black audiences to actually show up.
But IMO it show how deep Hollywood bias is, they would never give people they consider unmarketable a shot, when Wonder Woman and black panther surprise them they suddenly claim they are leading the way instead of being the people who held the doors shut on minorities for the last 80 years. Social values evolve at light speed compared to Hollywood.

Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

I think they expected the black audience to show up, but not the white audience. The conventional wisdom at the time was that black audiences would go to see films with a white protagonist, but not the other way round. BP upended those expectations the way The Hunger Games did with male and female audiences a few years earlier. The days when the protagonist had to be white and male for a film to reach a wide audience are over.

Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Kristatos wrote:I think they expected the black audience to show up, but not the white audience. The conventional wisdom at the time was that black audiences would go to see films with a white protagonist, but not the other way round. BP upended those expectations the way The Hunger Games did with male and female audiences a few years earlier. The days when the protagonist had to be white and male for a film to reach a wide audience are over.

true imho they were done some time ago just Hollywood kept people in their little demographic boxes.

Let me add I don’t think Hollywood expected any more support than Tyler perry movie, maybe a little better but the number of black families who saw BP over and over I think woke Hollywood up. Some say it even surprised Disney because of the dust to dust ending they gave their newest superstar in infinity war. Thinking being if they had known it’d be successful he’d be front and center to headline endgame

Veronica
Agent

Post by Veronica »

Kristatos wrote:

Were they really though? From my point of view Black Panther seems like such an obvious success bait with both BO numbers and critics. I mean, a black superhero movie? That just ticks all the right boxes right there and everyone knew it.
Veronica
Agent

Post by Veronica »

Craig will be one of the presenters at the Oscars. The only actor besides Chris Evans. 2 out of 11, I think. Just imagine what kind of uproar there would be if the roles were reversed.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

This year's BAFTA winners: https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/f ... -full-list

I may have to revise my comments about everybody loving Joanna Lumley. Apparently, the jokes in her opening monologue went down like a lead balloon. Clearly, she needs better writers.