Doctor Who is moving to Sundays

News and Discussion of all things Dr Who
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Re: Doctor Who is moving to Sundays

Post by Kristatos »

James wrote:I have to say I'm finding this season of Doctor Who very bland and forgettable so far. Apart from Bradley Walsh the companions are wooden and dull and Jodi must be one of the weakest actors to play the part. That thing she does where she delivers the dramatic expositional dialogue as if she's out of breath is starting to become tiresome. Hopefully it'll get better in the next season.
That's my hope too. I think they will take some of the criticism on board.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
James
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: On Her Majesty's Secret Service
Favorite Movies: George A Romero's Dawn Of The Dead
Silent Running
Harold and Maude

Post by James »

Kristatos wrote:
James wrote:I have to say I'm finding this season of Doctor Who very bland and forgettable so far. Apart from Bradley Walsh the companions are wooden and dull and Jodi must be one of the weakest actors to play the part. That thing she does where she delivers the dramatic expositional dialogue as if she's out of breath is starting to become tiresome. Hopefully it'll get better in the next season.

The rumour is that New Year's Day might have Daleks. They probably ran the Daleks into the ground in the end but I think I'd actually be glad to see them. Chibnall doesn't seem to be very good at coming up with new monsters or aliens.
"I can't do that superhero stuff" Daniel Craig
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

I think that's more than a rumour, they've actually confirmed that it's the case. I've been told it's a myth that the rights revert to the Nation estate if the Daleks aren't used at least once a season, but I've noticed that they always seem to pop up in a cameo, even in seasons that don't have a Dalek story.

Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

James wrote:
Kristatos wrote:

The rumour is that New Year's Day might have Daleks. They probably ran the Daleks into the ground in the end but I think I'd actually be glad to see them. Chibnall doesn't seem to be very good at coming up with new monsters or aliens.
This year is the first time ever I am not following the series, thinking about it I endured some awful shows without abandoning the series. Absolutely no anticipation of the Holiday Special which usually are the highlight of the day. I do not believe the show runners have any desire to change the direction of the show, I believe the BBC and Chibnall made essentially a suicide pact to make these series as they are making them. They cleaned house of all the old hands with experience enough to help right the ship and went full-speed ahead with the plan to blame misogyny for any failure.
Jodie from the episodes I have seen phoned in a Matt Smith impression. For all of RTD's, many, many failings, and Steven's obsession with certain topics (namely lesbians in space) and love of recycled plot devices, their choice in actors at least made the show palatable if not enjoyable. Jodie is either incapable of the role, possible however I enjoyed her work on other series and thought she had talent. The other possibility is Chibnall's incompetency has the result of dragging Jodie down with the BBC's approval. Obviously not the intended end goal, for whatever reason the BBC gave approval to demands Chibnall's had to begin consideration of running the show, at the time I thought these might be a bigger problem than a time lady. However the BBC knew the direction and kind of stories Chibnall wanted to tell were not what the Nu-Who had been about before and their was a possibility of hurting the show. I believe this is why the BBC was choosing this as the moment the virtue signal with a female actor as the Doctor and possibly move the day of the show. Some numbers wonder boffin some place was probably giving the BBC the idea these steps somehow mitigate the risks.
Jodie may be the first actor since Sylvester McCoy not to get a fair shot at the character.

Re Daleks: There used to be a theory the new Doctor was not the Doctor before they had a run in with the Daleks and Cybermen. Tom Baker's first series took on then Daleks and Cybermen, Peter I do not believe got around to the Daleks before his last series, Earthshock I would like to say was his first season, Colin got around to them his first season, Sylvester his second.
The new series after the smart use in the first series over used the Kelad mutants and cybermen. Probably a ratings ploy.
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Season 11 has the highest average rating of any since Matt Smith's first.Image

Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Series 11 is not all that far off from last few series when broken down to the actual numbers of viewers on the night of broadcast. At least this is my impression from the overnight, the total I have no confidence in. One trend is less viewers each week, which with all the hype is to be expected. By the numbers the series is in 'bad shape'. For those who like the new DW 'the Companion Chronicles' it is easier to believe the hype, honestly I gave up before the finish of series 11 intending eventually to get back to the series never actually finding the enthusiasm to do so. The idea of more showrunner virtue signalling combined with a weak performance as the Doctor to put the spot light on companions drama just was not something I could look forward to. I don't hate the new series at this point indifference is the best way to describe how I feel. A feeling which could change with really crackerjack stories.
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

That's not just Doctor Who, though, that's every TV programme. Overnights are becoming progressively less important as more and more people choose to watch on catch-up. Though even on overnights, the lowest-rated episode of the last season beat any non-Christmas episode of the previous two.