The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
John P. Drake
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No, From Russia With Love, Goldfinger, Thunderball, The Spy Who Loved Me, Moonraker, For Your Eyes Only, The Living Daylights, GoldenEye, Tomorrow Never Dies.

Re: The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

Post by John P. Drake »

Kristatos wrote:
John P. Drake wrote:
Kristatos wrote:I wonder what they'll call it. Probably something like Steed & Mrs Peel, since The Avengers is now firmly linked to Marvel in the public mind.
I suspect exactly that, since the comic books based on the TV series are published under that title.
That's what made me think of it. There was a mini-series by Grant Morrison and Ian Gibson with that title back in, I think, the '90s.
Late nineties if I recall. Subsequent entries under the title by different creators were released, as well. While I haven't read it, the latest entry is a continuation of the Hellfire episode, "A Touch of Brimstone".
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

bjmdds wrote:More reboots? No originality any longer in Hollywood. TLJ dropped off the box office cliff to 7th place Friday as Jumanji reigns supreme at #1 again :!:
well TLJ lost a bunch of screens right?

I don’t know Jumanji is a real reboot, but I only remember bits and pieces of the Robin Williams movie. The new movie is not gaining success because of the old movie, new story and a great cast is why it preformed better than expected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
............ :007:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

It's apparently a sequel rather than a reboot.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Kristatos wrote:I wonder what they'll call it. Probably something like Steed & Mrs Peel, since The Avengers is now firmly linked to Marvel in the public mind.
there was that awful movie with Sean Connery, couldn’t they still use the name The Avengers, it’s not like James Cameron and owing the rights to the name Avatar, so nickelodeon’s cartoon series had to change its name. Which was ok I guess but the cartoon series was at least using the term avatar in a very Hindu way.

bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

Bening: "Barbara Broccoli, one of our producers, was friends with Peter and she knew him when he was with Gloria so this was a long-time coming and I talked with Barbara about making the movie years ago. It means a lot to Peter. It was a very complicated period of his life and he was very much involved in any moment." Although Bening - who is married to Hollywood legend Warren Beatty - has been nominated for an Oscar on four occasions she has yet to win one but there is already Academy buzz about 'Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool', however, she won't allow herself to be distracted by it. She said: "People ask me about it [the Oscars] and I do talk about it. It's a part of life and a part of my business. It's exciting but then sometimes it doesn't happen. I love what I do. It's a labour of love for everyone, for each of us. We put everything we had into it. It means a lot to all of us."------------so a film that nobody bothered to see and hardly found theaters to run in, is Oscar worthy? FBF won't like this one bit :!: Broccoli must be paying off plenty of insiders if this occurs :!:---------------FILM STARS DON’T DIE IN LIVERPOOL is told with authenticity and some poignancy. However, it’s dominated by a Romantic worldview and exhibits an excessive mixture of questionable content. First, it centers on a May-December affair between two unmarried people who had no intention of ever being married. The movie also contains plenty of foul language, explicit nudity, bedroom scenes, brief homosexual references, and other objectionable content. Gloria and Peter justify their unconventional relationship just because they’re in love. MOVIEGUIDE® suggests moviegoers stay away from FILM STARS DON’T DIE IN LIVERPOOL.
Last edited by bjmdds on Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

I don't know whether they have the legal right to use the name, I'm thinking more that they probably wouldn't want to, because of the confusion it would cause, with lots of people turning off in disgust because they were expecting Iron Man and Captain America, and got something completely different.
John P. Drake
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No, From Russia With Love, Goldfinger, Thunderball, The Spy Who Loved Me, Moonraker, For Your Eyes Only, The Living Daylights, GoldenEye, Tomorrow Never Dies.

Post by John P. Drake »

I may be one of the very few people here but I rather like... wait, let me rephrase... love the film adaptation with Ralph Fiennes and Uma Thurman, even though I'd have preferred Elizabeth Hurley in the role of Emma Peel.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

John P. Drake wrote:I may be one of the very few people here but I rather like... wait, let me rephrase... love the film adaptation with Ralph Fiennes and Uma Thurman, even though I'd have preferred Elizabeth Hurley in the role of Emma Peel.
I quite liked it too, though it seems to have suffered from executive meddling. There was talk of a director's cut, was it ever released?
John P. Drake
Agent

Post by John P. Drake »

Kristatos wrote:
John P. Drake wrote:I may be one of the very few people here but I rather like... wait, let me rephrase... love the film adaptation with Ralph Fiennes and Uma Thurman, even though I'd have preferred Elizabeth Hurley in the role of Emma Peel.
I quite liked it too, though it seems to have suffered from executive meddling. There was talk of a director's cut, was it ever released?
As far as I know, it didn’t. But, there is a script of what was originally intended available to purchase. There was a prologue scene where Emma Peel’s scientist husband is killed and his research was stolen. I wonder if they ever filmed that scene.

I really don’t understand the hate for this film. The characters were accurate to their respective source material, and the plot wasn’t far fetched from the weirdness of science fiction/adventure elements seen in some of the episodes.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Yeah, I thought it captured the tone of the series perfectly. Most of the criticisms seemed to be of Fiennes and Thurman. I wouldn’t say they were perfectly cast, but I thought they did a decent job. As you say, Liz Hurley would probably have been better, not sure who else would have made a better Steed.
John P. Drake
Agent

Post by John P. Drake »

Kristatos wrote:Yeah, I thought it captured the tone of the series perfectly. Most of the criticisms seemed to be of Fiennes and Thurman. I wouldn’t say they were perfectly cast, but I thought they did a decent job. As you say, Liz Hurley would probably have been better, not sure who else would have made a better Steed.
I love Fiennes as Steed, but a better casting would've been Charles Dance.
Goldeneye
Site Admin

Post by Goldeneye »

Veronica's account was activated I think because some profile detail was changed. Just reactivated it. Please let me know if it looks like I made a mistake and it was hacked.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

"The Commuter" star Liam Neeson says the #MeToo movement has become "a bit of a witch hunt" and defended Garrison Keillor and Dustin Hoffman, two prominent men who have been accused of inappropriate touching.

Appearing on "The Late Late Show" in his native Ireland, Neeson told host Ryan Tubridy that the reactions against some men accused of misconduct have been too severe.

"There is a bit of a witch hunt happening," Neeson said. "There's some people, famous people, being suddenly accused of touching some girl's knee or something and suddenly they're being dropped from their program or something."
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

Post by Omega »

John P. Drake wrote:
Kristatos wrote:Yeah, I thought it captured the tone of the series perfectly. Most of the criticisms seemed to be of Fiennes and Thurman. I wouldn’t say they were perfectly cast, but I thought they did a decent job. As you say, Liz Hurley would probably have been better, not sure who else would have made a better Steed.
I only remember that movie being awful, Connery’s performance was bad, not League of extraordinary gentlemen bad, but bad.

I wanted to like it because of Thurman.

Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

bjmdds wrote:"The Commuter" star Liam Neeson says the #MeToo movement has become "a bit of a witch hunt" and defended Garrison Keillor and Dustin Hoffman, two prominent men who have been accused of inappropriate touching.

Appearing on "The Late Late Show" in his native Ireland, Neeson told host Ryan Tubridy that the reactions against some men accused of misconduct have been too severe.

"There is a bit of a witch hunt happening," Neeson said. "There's some people, famous people, being suddenly accused of touching some girl's knee or something and suddenly they're being dropped from their program or something."
and Liam Neeson begins the first day of his unofficial retirement tomorrow. Matt Damon tried to the same thing didn’t work out for him.

Neeson is right there have been over reactions, but the crap Dustin Hoffman has done while not Harvey Weinstein bad is still not acceptable and he shouldn’t get away with pretending he’s nice guy public persona any more than Kevin spacey

People lives can be ruined by false accusations and a press ready to publish every scandal. Famous story from Hollywood history is Fatty Arbuckle.

However how do you balance giving the benefit of the doubt to the accused when that benefit enables them to ruin people lives.

#Metoo is so weak Oprah co-opted . So it does need to be refined to some creditable process. So legitimate dates gone bad are not confused with true predators.

bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

2018 NFL playoffs: Patriots reach seventh straight AFC Championship Game after beating Titans 35-14 :clap: ----New England is on to the AFC title game :!: :clap: :up:
John P. Drake
Agent

Post by John P. Drake »

Omega wrote:
John P. Drake wrote:
I only remember that movie being awful, Connery’s performance was bad, not League of extraordinary gentlemen bad, but bad.

I wanted to like it because of Thurman.
I personally never understood the hate for either film. In fact, if I'm truthful, I prefer The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen's film adaptation to the comics in which his abysmal views Alan Moore seems to enforce via rewriting characters from previous fictional works and characters he really doesn't like, and not to mention... his vehement abuse of women in the comics, condemning the "white male hero" in it quite a lot. The film jettisoned all that and instead went for an Avengers Assembled type of a narrative that fought one common enemy.

I get why people criticize the film adaptation of the British Avengers, however, because both Fiennes and Thurman were "acting" rather than performing the roles they were given. Then again, it's kind of hard to imitate Patrick Macnee and Diana Rigg in a convincing manner, as the script was written with them in mind.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Image Broccoli's next Bond :?: :idea:
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Disney and Lucasfilm's Star Wars: The Last Jedi dipped even more than expected after losing 1,142 locations this weekend, down 52.5% and finishing with an estimated $11.27 million for the three-day.----------------such hype for Broccoli's limited masterpiece which nobody went to see :!: [video][/video]
dirtybenny
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love and all the Connery films
Favorite Movies: Dirty Harry, Bullitt, The Sting, LA Confidential, The Maltese Falcon, and The Big Sleep

Post by dirtybenny »

bjmdds wrote:Image Broccoli's next Bond :?: :idea:

Next Bond? Isn't that Craig?
The Rouge Warrior, On Hermaphrodite's Secret Service Image