The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Re: The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

Post by bjmdds »

Image A female Dr. Who. I do not follow this franchise at all. How do the UKers react to this news?
dirtybenny
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love and all the Connery films
Favorite Movies: Dirty Harry, Bullitt, The Sting, LA Confidential, The Maltese Falcon, and The Big Sleep

Post by dirtybenny »

bjmdds wrote:Image A female Dr. Who. I do not follow this franchise at all. How do the UKers react to this news?
Welp, here we go, like BJ I don't follow the Doctor so I can't comment on what this means for this series, but good, bad or indifferent this will be used as the justification for those who are making the ridiculous call for Bond to be cast female, mark my words within 6 months or less there will be a puff piece from one of the rags saying just that!
The Rouge Warrior, On Hermaphrodite's Secret Service Image
Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Moonraker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

Post by Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry »

The female "Doctor" has killed the show for me. Maybe if they had a female Doctor in the 70s it would be more normal, but the Doctor has been a white male for so long now that you can't change it.

They ruin everything in the end.
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

I haven't caught up with the series much, but better Craig as the Doctor than to have an actress playing the part.
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

We were screwed either way. If it was not her it would be Kris Marshall taking the role. What probably will hurt the series is the new show runners agenda. Supposedly he wants to try some new things he thought the BBC would be scared of, this is more likely to kill off the show than Jodie. Honestly if they had a female Doctor in the 1980s it would have been ground breaking, this will likely break down into a plea for attention and recognition of how right minded the politicly savvy BBC is.

I should mention Doctor Who producers they have done years of work to lay the ground work for this. I was certain they would do this at some point.
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry wrote:The female "Doctor" has killed the show for me. Maybe if they had a female Doctor in the 70s it would be more normal, but the Doctor has been a white male for so long now that you can't change it.

So it's a terrible idea I presume? I don't know anything about the storylines. Will you stop watching the new episodes with her in the role, ala Cr-egg in the role of Bond being avoided like the plague?
Napoleon Solo
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love

Post by Napoleon Solo »

Martin Landau dies at 89. This post concentrates on Mission: Impossible with mention of other spy stories he participated in.

http://bit.ly/2thnWq2
Goldeneye
Site Admin

Post by Goldeneye »

RIP Martin Landau. One of my favorite actors of all time.
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

RIP Martin Landau. A very charismatic actor.

RIP to George Romero too who has died aged 77.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-40627029
Bring back Bond!
shaken not stirred
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldeneye, the spy who loved Me, the world is not enough, goldfinger, live and let die.
Favorite Movies: Iron man,Iron man 2, avengers, goldeneye, dark city, back to the future, live and let die.

Post by shaken not stirred »

Whilst I have nothing against the actress and find her hot (i do), this is doctor who, he was coniceved male and now he's changed and this came out of nowhere, again I agree with ops here if it was done much earlier before than there's some consistency but this feels more like a gimmick to be pc. They have the doctors daughter for this, donna, the romani and many more, hell I would have nothing against a female doc doing crossovers with the male docs and their shows being on almost around the same time (in place of torchwood). But nope doc is now female and sadly all I've got called is sexist, mysoganist etc for not liking this (also an alien it has no gender...this to me is as bad as when Robin Williams was replaced with a kid in mork and mindy), I would just be as equally pissed off if ripley from alien was turned into a male along with sarah connors. Yeah the master was female and that sucked but the master could've easily been said he was screwing with the doc since he can possess bodies also.

I'm all for women getting more roles but this is going the wrong way about it, the doc is a grandfather, father, married river, now he will somehow be a mother, grandmother and maybe even lesbian (nothing against that but again it feels out of place for him). This will massively divide the fanbase and no doubt in my mind like doc who in the late 80s kill it (maybe even for good). I might've not like Marshall too much in death in paradise and much prefer Ardal no contest but he would've been better for this (or even Ben Miller himself). Doctor who has now gone full sjw and it can go and beep itself with its sonic screwdriver all the way to gallifrey :evil: :cuss: :hair: :007: .

As for bond yeah craig has ruined it but it's only a matter of time now before he will also be female, should wonderwoman be male next, how about batman, green lantern, if this is progressive then i'm the next 007, R.I.P doctor who, can't wait for the inveitable female sherlock next..... :picard: :picard: :picard: :picard: :jack: :007: :down: :cuss:

Also R.I.P Romero (too many people gone this year and one personal one too). :-|
Bond....James bond....Rest in peace (1964-2002)
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

bjmdds wrote:
Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry wrote:The female "Doctor" has killed the show for me. Maybe if they had a female Doctor in the 70s it would be more normal, but the Doctor has been a white male for so long now that you can't change it.

So it's a terrible idea I presume? I don't know anything about the storylines. Will you stop watching the new episodes with her in the role, ala Cr-egg in the role of Bond being avoided like the plague?
Speaking for myself I am probably finished with Doctor Who. My feeling is the BBC wants to take a hatchet to the series in the name of social justice. The statement Jodie read yesterday is proof. Beyond that it bothers me she, the new producer, BBC talked down to the fans as if we are children. Nobody will be able to be openly critical of the time lord the social justice narrative will come down like a flash mob on those who dare to challenge it.

The Nu-who producers have been trying to prepare the series to do this possibly from the start never asking if this was done for the sake of the character The Doctor, this is answering a question that didn't need to be answered because it is in response to questions that exist outside Doctor Who.

But Nu-Who has drifted far away from the original intention of the program. In 1996 purest fans were horrified the new Doctor dared to kiss a woman, four wives later and cement bound face fellatio joke and the spin off carnage of Captain Jack Harkness TORCHWOOOD, what could fans honestly expect. This is because the people making Doctor Who have a social agenda.

However I am not completely done with the show yet I just admit the possibly I am because of the probability this I done for the wrong reasons and is inevitably going to be botched.
(By the way I'm waiting for the Doctor Whoe meme to start.)

BJ do you think Paramount and their Trek people are not thinking about a Turnabout Intruder movie series with Jane Kirk. Because I believe they are and they'd do so willingly.
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Napoleon Solo wrote:Martin Landau dies at 89. This post concentrates on Mission: Impossible with mention of other spy stories he participated in.

http://bit.ly/2thnWq2
carl stromberg wrote:RIP Martin Landau. A very charismatic actor.

RIP to George Romero too who has died aged 77.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-40627029
d**n, d**n.

Great loss to their families and the world. Both will be greatly missed.

Landau had a very interesting movie from the late 90's called Joyriders about a suicidal old mam kidnapped by a runaway teenagers. Very good film althou it may have been a direct to video. This movie and Harvey Keitel's Finding Graceland were two of my favourite underrated films from that era.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Why are there so many Dr. Whos? Is it by choice of the producers?
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger, OHMSS, FRWL, The Living Daylights

Post by 007 »

bjmdds wrote:Why are there so many Dr. Whos? Is it by choice of the producers?
The Doctor is a Time Lord from the planet Gallifrey. When Time Lords are injured they 'cheat' death by regenerating into a new body. It's the same character with the same memories but a new personality. It's something a clever person at the BBC came up with so they could keep the show going even if they had to recast.

By the way, I love how the Doctor Who showrunner is always a white man. Funny that. Maybe Chris Chibnall should replace himself with a woman.
"I’m looking for Commander Bond and not an overgrown stunt-man." - Ian Fleming
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Double 0, how have you been? I haven't seen you here in a while. Maybe the next Dr. Who can be played by Ms. Broccoli as a goof. :idea: In Star Trek II Spock puts his KATRA into McCoy. It sounds similar to the morphing of Dr. Who.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

007 wrote:
By the way, I love how the Doctor Who showrunner is always a white man. Funny that. Maybe Chris Chibnall should replace himself with a woman.
I wouldn't be surprised to see Sarah Dollard take over at some point in the future. She has written a couple of episodes and has previous showrunning experience, albeit on soaps rather than primetime dramas.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

bjmdds wrote:Double 0, how have you been? I haven't seen you here in a while. Maybe the next Dr. Who can be played by Ms. Broccoli as a goof. :idea: In Star Trek II Spock puts his KATRA into McCoy. It sounds similar to the morphing of Dr. Who.
Not really. That was more or less mind rape.
Doctor Who is supposedly cellular regeneration where the body rebuilds repairing life ending damage and morphs to a new body while the essence of the person stay the same, with personality traits and other things changing because of changes to the neural pathways, easier to say it is a easy way of changing casting because the science does not make sense. No reasons for the mass to increase regenerating from Peter Davidson to Colin Baker. :P

It is supposed to be the same Doctor from life one to the end for a total of thirteen lives, which the Doctor already expended and is on a new regeneration cycle staring wit the current Doctor.

For the last few years they have been setting up that Time Lords can regenerate to a different sex, it was already established they could regenerate into a different species. Tom baker first joked about the next regeneration being a woman in 1980-1 when he was leaving the show, which if they had done this then would be ground breaking. Right now this appears to be political posturing, think Womens Day PSA being official Bond cannon.
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

007 wrote:

Strange that. These white men championing women's right can't see fit to offer women the directors chair and showrunning. At least now people can reuse their I'm with her meme by adding a Tardis outline to it.

If we want to talk about real discrimination in Doctor Who lets talk about how the BBC discriminated against Delia Derbyshire who created the unique Doctor Who theme by refusing her credit for composing it because she was a woman, Ron Grainer who composed the music tried to give her credit several times because he thought the sound she created took the theme beyond what he had written. No idea why this was such a problem for the BBC we have only had over 170 years of Queens leading the country, no problem giving them credit for their accomplishments.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Blowfeld wrote: It is supposed to be the same Doctor from life one to the end for a total of thirteen lives, which the Doctor already expended and is on a new regeneration cycle staring wit the current Doctor.

For the last few years they have been setting up that Time Lords can regenerate to a different sex, it was already established they could regenerate into a different species. Tom baker first joked about the next regeneration being a woman in 1980-1 when he was leaving the show, which if they had done this then would be ground breaking. Right now this appears to be political posturing, think Womens Day PSA being official Bond cannon.
The show's creator, Sydney Newman, also pushed for it in the '80s, as a way of shaking up the formula.

I have mixed feelings on the news. A few years ago, I was dead against the idea, but it's so firmly established in the canon now that Time Lords are "pretty flexible about the whole man/woman thing" (to quote Bill) that there seems no in-story reason to oppose it. Saying that this is a recent innovation doesn't really cut it, given that the phrase "Time Lord" and his having two hearts did not appear until (I believe) the Troughton era, his home planet was not named as Gallifrey until the Pertwee era, the twelve-regeneration cycle (which a few years ago had some of the, ahem, less socially adept fans seriously speculating that the show was going to be cancelled once Matt Smith left, because canon) was not mentioned until The Deadly Assassin and so on.

I do get annoyed, though, when people start claiming that there are no possible reasons other than sexism for objecting to the change. The fact that the reaction was 80% positive, as I posted upthread, means that the relentless attacks on dissenters feel like punching down (rather like the flak we took for opposing the conventional wisdom on CR). And yes, the timing is unfortunate, coinciding as it does with a whole bandwagon of female recastings of formerly male roles; and feminism and LGBT awareness being used as a form of lazy virtue signalling by millennial "slacktivists". It promotes the idea that the differences between male and female do not extend beyond the plumbing, and therefore changing gender does not fundamentally change the character.

(Incidentally, no-one else seems to have remarked on this, and I hesitate to bring it up for fear of being labelled insensitive, but doesn't the very existence of transgenderism rather disprove this? A person is labelled transgender when they have a male body but identify as female, or vice versa. How is that even possible, if the differences between the two are merely biological? But I digress.)

Ultimately, though, the fantasy nature of the show means that it is not the same as casting Charlize Theron as Jane Bond, as some would wish. And I think what finally changed my mind was the announcement that the new Doctor would not just be "a woman", but Jodie Whittaker. She was excellent in Broadchurch, and the 1-minute video that announced her casting really sold me on her performance. Tom Baker was "my" Doctor, and although the video was wordless, the look of wonder in her eyes as she approached the TARDIS convinced me that she would restore some of that childlike quality to the character. I hope I won't be disappointed.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

I am a fan of Jodie. I am not a fan of heads of the BBC who will ruin a good thing when they find it politically convenient.
RE: the official statement: Why is it when I ask people to not to be scared by my gender the police show up?

The Canon for Doctor Who has been fungible, I am not fundamentally against this change, however it was not a necessary one. As I said in the other thread if it is treated carefully I may be convinced, in this atmosphere with the BBC attitude right now they will surely ruin the show.
In the last 12 years we have had, at times, some awful rubbish forced upon us by the showrunners, rubbish which should not have been tolerated. However the saving grace was the few shows which really hit the nail on the head expanding the Doctor Who lore. Like the Doctor's Wife, by the way bring Neil Gaiman on as show writer!

I mean technically the Doctor dying now is not even the real Doctor, he is a transmat clone the real Doctor died billions of years ago. Maybe the real Doctor died when the universe was burned out and recreated by Amy Pond who just happened to remember she need something borrowed and something blue.

A female doctor done in 1981 would have been better done, better handled. The restarted show has been sexualised with RTD and Moffat, adding virtue signalling to the show with the sexualization as it is now is not a good idea. I'd like the Doctor to go back to not having companion falling in love with him, not marrying random people throughout history and talking like he had flings with various historical people like queens and popes. I don't appreciate the male Doctor's doing this I certainly don't need a female Doctor talking about how honest Abe Lincoln was in the sack.
Strike the correct tone and manners it could be fine. It is not Jodie I have issue with.