UK General Election 2017

A place for friendly discussions of politics in general.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

UK General Election 2017

Post by Kristatos »

Someone asked for a general election thread. Well here it is. I'm going to start with the really important news: the Wessex Regionalists are running a candidate in Devizes. Our newly appointed president, Jim Gunter, lives in the constituency, and has decided to stand for election there.

"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Re: UK General Election 2017

Post by carl stromberg »

The Conservatives have just been up my street. I'm not sure why they are bothering as we have a Conservative MP who has a majority of 17000, and UKIP were second last time round.

I looked at the Wessex Regionalist website recently and was surprised that Colin Bex was criticising the EU, as I thought they always liked the EU.
Bring back Bond!
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

We've always been critical of the EU, but were against Brexit, as we thought leaving the EU altogether was throwing out the baby with the bathwater. Colin making a pro-Brexit statement was highly controversial. The view outlined in the leaflet I posted more accurately represents the consensus within the party.
Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Moonraker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

Post by Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry »

The Liberal Democrats are not doing too well - they could only get about 4 seats.
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

http://www.eadt.co.uk/news/election-201 ... -1-5026406
Election 2017: South Suffolk UKIP hopeful aims for interstellar travel

Election candidates often make ambitious policy claims – but South Suffolk UKIP candidate Aidan Powlesland is hoping to kick-start inter-stellar travel and mining in the asteroid belt if he is elected on June 8.

He says he would like the government to: “Offer £1.2 billion worth of prizes, in the form of share capital, to the companies that win competitions to:
a) Design an interstellar colony ship.
b) Profitably mine the asteroid belt for water and/or platinum, so long as they do so by 2026.
c) That convert the ML86X design into a flying aircraft carrier. This is a giant airship being designed by an American company as a cargo-carrier.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

The Tories are promising (threatening?) to lift the UK ban on the ivory trade if elected [ANGRY FACE]
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me

Kristatos wrote:The Tories are promising (threatening?) to lift the UK ban on the ivory trade if elected [ANGRY FACE]
Why lift the ban? Who wrote the Conservative manifesto - were they trying to annoy people?

Bit weird as no campaigning for several days because of the terrorist attack.
acid
Commander
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr No, From Russia with Love, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, Octopussy, For Your Eyes Only, A View To a Kill, The Living Daylights, GoldenEye

Post by acid »

Kristatos wrote:The Tories are promising (threatening?) to lift the UK ban on the ivory trade if elected [ANGRY FACE]
:shock: :shock: :shock: :cuss:

To coin a phrase previously delivered by our dear Sir Rog:

Brilliant. I'm almost speechless with admiration. _.///

Seriously, to say this is amoral and idiotic is an understatement. I didn't realize accelerated extinctions were a laudable goal for the UK. Are they trying to drag the country back to Victorian times and beyond? And this as part of an election campaign? Really?

Edit: It seems that specifically they have failed to keep, and given up on, an earlier pledge to apply a ban. Still, the end result is just the same. :(
Last edited by acid on Thu May 25, 2017 5:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Wonderful for poison pen letters..."
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Sir Roger was a well-known animal lover, and would never have approved of this policy.
acid
Commander
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr No, From Russia with Love, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, Octopussy, For Your Eyes Only, A View To a Kill, The Living Daylights, GoldenEye

Post by acid »

Kristatos wrote:Sir Roger was a well-known animal lover, and would never have approved of this policy.
Agreed. I should probably point out my quote is one of Moore's most sarcastic lines as Bond (from AVTAK). I didn't intend anyone to take it literally!
"Wonderful for poison pen letters..."
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

Government sources have confessed that there are at least 23,000 jihadists in Britain :shock: – more than seven times higher than previously revealed.

Until recently, the public had been led to believe there were around 3,000 known jihadists in Britain, with 500 being subject to active investigations led by MI5. Whitehall officials have now disclosed that a further 20,000 individuals have been identified as posing a “residual risk”, according to The Times.
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

The polls are narrowing.
Bring back Bond!
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

If the last year or so has taught us anything, it's that you can't trust the polls.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

carl stromberg wrote:The polls are narrowing.
'Van hits pedestrians' on London Bridge in 'major incident'------eye witnesses say several people have been stabbed :!:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

bjmdds wrote:
carl stromberg wrote:The polls are narrowing.
'Van hits pedestrians' on London Bridge in 'major incident'------eye witnesses say several people have been stabbed :!:
Would it be *too* cynical to think there might be a connection between these two stories?
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Three attackers drove a van into pedestrians on London Bridge before stabbing revelers nearby on Saturday night, killing seven people in what Britain called the work of Islamist militants engaged in a new trend of terrorism.

London Metropolitan Police said on Sunday 12 people had been arrested in the Barking district of east London in connection with the attack, which also injured at least 48 people, and raids were continuing there.

The attack occurred five days ahead of a parliamentary election and was the third to hit Britain in less than three months. Prime Minister Theresa May said the election would go ahead as planned on Thursday.

"It is time to say enough is enough," ('ya think?') she said in a televised statement outside her Downing Street office, where flags few at half-mast.

"We cannot and must not pretend that things can continue as they are," May said, calling for a strengthened counter-terrorism strategy that could include longer jail sentences for some offenses and new cyberspace regulations..........Trump is correct and the rest of the world had better realize it or else make this your new norm in Europe :!: Where's your Muslim mayor now in London? His silence is deafening :!: :!: :!: :!: My next door neighbor's good friend was in the Cantor-Fitzgerald offices of the World Trade Center on September 11th 2001 and died there :!: My other friend worked at the Port Authority in the same building and was driving out of their basement in his work van just as the first plane hit the tower :!: He was fortunate to get out of there before the building collapsed and kept driving through traffic lights until he got to New Jersey safely :!: I have seen the devastation up close these animals create and they belong in their own countries if not EXTREMELY vetted, as Trump is right to demand :!: Liberalism proved it's falsehood here this week with Kathy Griffin and Bill Maher showing the entire world what they truly are as a movement here. They disgust me and all of the 'deplorables' that voted for Trump over that sack of worthless trash Hillary last election day. Heck, NYC's mayor Deblasio and our city council speaker Viverito wanted to HONOR the released FLAN terrorist that Oh-bama pardoned at next week's Puerto Rican Day parade until the police department and the Governor and tons of sponsors pulled out of the event :!: You cannot make this stuff up :!: Liberalism in the USA MUST be destroyed and fought back once and for all and I can tell you people in the USA that are decent are fed up with what is going on here and will not stand for this much longer :!: http://nypost.com/2017/05/30/malliotaki ... ay-parade/
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me

Kristatos wrote:If the last year or so has taught us anything, it's that you can't trust the polls.
Yesterdays polls were interesting. There were about 8 with one saying it is neck and neck, one saying the Conservatives were 12 points ahead - it's very confusing!
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Theresa May has declared she is prepared to rip up human rights laws to impose new restrictions on terror suspects, as she sought to gain control over the security agenda just 36 hours before the polls open.

The prime minister said she was looking at how to make it easier to deport foreign terror suspects and how to increase controls on extremists where it is thought they present a threat but there is not enough evidence to prosecute them.
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Great she is a W bush clone. Or at least that's what they want us to believe with a sentence that say "rip up human rights"
Either she said that or more likely its opinion "journalism"

If you want to talk about human rights start with the innocent people killed by terrorist a-holes who were so known they were featured on a TV show (WTF?!).
(BTW under innocents i included the many killed by our drones.)

IMO it's a first world guilt problem, first world leaders see a people of ethnic back ground (depending on where it can meany anything, even language) and they feel they can not judge them or be mean in some way.
I get not wanting to be prejudiced against a group of people, but at least use some discretion on who is allowed to seek safe refuge.
Plenty of Muslims are seek safe countries to live in because their home lands are over run, it's a disservice to them to pretend all muslims are peaceful.

But this is election hype, so politicians play the strong man to sway their voters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
............ :007:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Omega wrote:Great she is a W bush clone. Or at least that's what they want us to believe with a sentence that say "rip up human rights"
Either she said that or more likely its opinion "journalism"
I saw this on the front page of Metro (a free, advertising-funded newspaper given away on buses and trains in the UK and aimed at commuters) this morning. Whilst using the headline "May: I'll rip up human rights legislation" was obviously a journalistic choice, they were her words, as I recall. Even if you believe that she is motivated purely by the desire to combat terrorism more effectively, and would never abuse the new powers she's seeking for herself, it shows what a horribly tone-deaf campaigner she is. No wonder she has plummeted in the polls over the last few weeks.