Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

The Last Movie You Watched

Post by Omega »

Passengers

Verdict didn't suck

It is like the people who made this movie watched Interstellar and thought let's slow the story down a little.

From the trailers I thought it would be about aliens sneaking aboard a transport ship, its more like CastAway with a lone person being revived from stasis 90 years too early in a 120 year trip.
A year into his isolation he gets creepy, very creepy. I called it space rape, but it more space crazed stalker.
Not being able to re-enter stasis he explores all the ship has to offer, on drunken escapade outside in a space suit he considers opening the door outside without the space suit, scared of what he almost did he runs away eventually tripping over the bottle of tequila he dropped earlier.
Recovering from his fall he spots his muse, Jennifer Lawrence, it becomes a story of boy mets girl, boy reads girls Facebook profile, stalks her like digitally, boy breaks girls stasis pod, boy and girl meet, fall in love, then girl learns truth and holds a mean d**n grudge.
Lawrence Fishburne shows up for 5 minutes to move the plot along then cashes his check.

It's a simple concept that I didn't expect to like but it works ok because of the actors involved.

While it didn't suck it may not be to everyone's taste.
I had three questions I thought the story should have answered but I'll let it go for now because the story worked ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
............ :007:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Re: The Last Movie You Watched

Post by Kristatos »

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2
Whilst it inevitably didn't feel as fresh as the first one, a good solid sequel that develops the themes of the first film and which contains some impressive setpieces (the opening credits are a highlight). 8/10.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Finally saw Wonder Woman. Whilst I enjoyed it, it didn't quite live up to the hype for me. There were scenes that got me thinking of The Incredibles ("You've got me monologuing") and a plot twist that I saw coming a mile off. But Gal Gadot carried the movie, along with some glorious visuals that really need to be seen on the big screen to be fully appreciated.
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Kristatos wrote:Finally saw Wonder Woman. Whilst I enjoyed it, it didn't quite live up to the hype for me. There were scenes that got me thinking of The Incredibles ("You've got me monologuing") and a plot twist that I saw coming a mile off. But Gal Gadot carried the movie, along with some glorious visuals that really need to be seen on the big screen to be fully appreciated.
she is a good Wonder Woman not great, I think a few other actresses could capture the essence of WW better. But for a DC movie it one of the best have to go back to Nolan's trilogy to find better.

Visuals were awesome! A little dingy not sure if that was my theater

Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Did you see it in 3D?
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Kristatos wrote:Did you see it in 3D?
no. 2d on the big screen. Most of these DC movies seem like they're slightly dark which is ok for Gotham, WW seemed to have a darker picture . Might be my local theater not the first time they messed up, gotten better with digital but one time a warning came up during the movie about low power to the laptop.

Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

I saw it in 2D as well. I know 3D films are somewhat darker. The picture looked bright and sharp to me, at least in the Themi...Theminisc...Paradise Island scenes. Obviously the London and Western Front scenes had a grimier colour palette.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Spider-Man homecoming was good.
Verdict does not suck.
Guess about 7 &1/2 out of ten. The best Spider-Man movie since Spider-Man 2.

They still get Spider-Man slightly wrong because they haven't developed the spidy voice yet, he sounds like he normally does as Parker. Or he tries a Brooklyn accent. One minor bad guy who was being interrogated with Tony starks spidy suit set to interrogation voice mode, said I heard your voice before i know what a girl sounds like. That's sort of appropriate, even the main bad guy recognizes the voice.
By the end of the movie it feels like Spider-Man is on the right path, beginning he was too obsessed with being worthy of being an avenger, by the end he realizes the friendly neighborhood Spider-Man is good too.
Sort of like how Batman should be a shadow member of the justice league not the father of it.

MJ was not a big part of the movie, well she is and isn't. The girl peter takes to the prom is not MJ, this MJ is more likable and less of a skank. Face it MJ of the comics and movies was what could only politely be described as a skank.
She does seem very observant of peter but only the name at the very end of the movie gives away the future to the fans.

It's doesn't follow the traditional Sony Spider-Man tropes it's better in many ways. Not perfect but better than the zack Snyder DC inverse.

Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Moonraker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

Post by Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry »

I watched Loophole, which is a strange bank robbery movie made in 1981. It stars Martin Sheen as a cash strapped architect who is asked to help rob a London security deposit vault by going in through a sewer. It has that great early 80s look and a good cast including Albert Finney. It also has a strange ending.

kater23
Moneypenny
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger,Living Daylights
Favorite Movies: Animal House, Star Wars(original recipe)

Post by kater23 »

Gonna watch some movies at my parents' place this weekend.They have Apple TV(and Netflix). #lazy :mrgreen:
I have no time for No Time To Die :lol:
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

I watched The Vampire Lovers, the Hammer classic.

The Man in Black in it is a bit mysterious.

Bring back Bond!
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Saw Blade Runner 2049 last night. I wouldn't go so far as to call it better than the original, as some have done, but it was a worthy sequel. with much to digest. I suspect it will reward repeated viewings.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Just watched Ghost in the Shell. It was a Black Friday deal @ $9.99 for 4k.
Verdict: does not suck

Had no real expectations going in if any expectations were low.

Set in a dystopian future japan kind of blade runner-ish.
Story is people are wired to technology, artificial limbs, organs and chips in their brains. Robots exist as well.
Scarlet Johansson is a young girl who is near death who scientist conduct a experiment on transplanting her brain in to a synthetic body. The first successful test subject she is transferred to a government special law enforcement division to help prove the worth of the research being conducted by the technology company. She proves a capable weapon.
one year later a new terror strikes the foundation of this high tech society a hacker who hacks human minds, so division 9 has a new task. Standard fair stuff really but the story has enough to twists and turns to justify it. One weak point was the early use of the word ghost as if to justify the title of movie, that dialogue was out of place and the rest of the dialogue in the movie was well done. I don’t know why they bothered to stress “ghost” so early in the movie when the last ten minutes sells it perfectly.
The story telling had surprisingly human moments from characters you didn’t expect it from.

Scarlet Johansson really showed some acting chops, the way she played the character was very different, her body language and movements lended credibility to the idea of a mind contained uncomfortably within a body. Maybe her movements were CGIed but it didn’t seem like it.

I’m not going to post any spoilers at this point, too new a movie. If someone else wants to talk about it I’ll be glad to mention a few more things.

Sadly the movie didn’t do well at the BO so it’s a one and done, kind of wished they’d make more but they didn’t make back the $110 million spent on it yet.
I think RT had a 49% score on it, not sure how I feel about this with newer movies like JL striking out with lower scores and raking in more money. Maybe It’s not 100% original, we’ve seen similar dystopian futures but it’s well done with room to grow the story.

Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

War for the planet of the apes

Verdict: does not suck. 8/10

Very thoughtful sci-fi movie. Incredible acting and great cgi.

It was critically acclaimed but didn’t actually make money. If it did it was just nearly.
Good movie deserved to do better. Wraps up the Cesar trilogy and sets up for the original 1960 movies if you want to believe in that chronology.

The only thing slightly disappointing is the final battle was not the smack down between apes and man I thought the title implies. The story is so well done and so much is happening it’s still worth it.

Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Moonraker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

Post by Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry »

I watched Raid on Entebbe, the classic 1977 film about the Israeli operation to release hostages in Uganda. I was looking up things about it on YouTube, and saw that a new version is being released with Rosamund Pike in the cast. I still think the version with Charles Bronson and Yaphet Kotto will be the best.

[video][/video]
John P. Drake
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No, From Russia With Love, Goldfinger, Thunderball, The Spy Who Loved Me, Moonraker, For Your Eyes Only, The Living Daylights, GoldenEye, Tomorrow Never Dies.

Post by John P. Drake »

Hardcore Henry (2015): This has got to be one of the greatest indie-made action films I've ever seen. Especially if one is or used to be a video-gamer as it's built upon the First-Person Shooter category. Everything is superb in it, from the dark humor right to the violence, effects, cinematography, stunts and many others. If you love Sharlto Copley, this film is definitely for you. He's ten times the Howling Mad Murdock in it.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Watched legend of Tarzan in 4k, still enjoy the movie but the cheap cgi animals were a little distracting especial after how well done war for planet of the ape cgi is.

Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

The Last Movie You Watched

Post by Omega »

The hitmans bodyguard.
Virdect does not suck.

This is very much a samual Jackson movie, the hitman character wouldn’t work without him. Even Ryan Reynolds is ok in this I usually hate everything he is in except for Deadpool.

I really didn’t think this movie would be any good but as a odd couple comedy it works and is pretty funny again because of sam Jackson

John P. Drake
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No, From Russia With Love, Goldfinger, Thunderball, The Spy Who Loved Me, Moonraker, For Your Eyes Only, The Living Daylights, GoldenEye, Tomorrow Never Dies.

Post by John P. Drake »

I watched it a couple of months and I have to say I enjoyed it a lot. There were scenes I burst in laughter thanks to Samuel L. Jackson being himself. :lol:
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

John P. Drake wrote:I watched it a couple of months and I have to say I enjoyed it a lot. There were scenes I burst in laughter thanks to Samuel L. Jackson being himself. :lol:
without Sam Jackson none of the humor would work. You’re right He was just being Sam Jackson.