Bond 50 Becomes Bestselling Blu-ray Box Set of 2012

Television listings for Bond and video talk
Goldeneye
Site Admin

Bond 50 Becomes Bestselling Blu-ray Box Set of 2012

Post by Goldeneye »

Blu-ray.com Bond 50 Becomes Bestselling Blu-ray
Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc. (MGM) and Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment announced today that Bond 50 is the bestselling Blu-ray box set of 2012 with projected worldwide sales totaling $50 million in consumer spending to date. The unprecedented 23-disc premium collection features all 22 classic films on stunning Blu-ray for the first time and more than 122 hours of bonus features. The collectible box set was released on September 24 in the United Kingdom and September 25 in North America; additional international markets followed through October.

The Bond 50 box set release was timed to coincide with the 50th anniversary celebration of the Bond franchise in 2012. The year-long campaign launched globally at the annual Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, included a first of a kind exhibit of Bond vehicles at San Diego Comic-Con, the re-release of Dr. No in U.S. movie theaters and a Roger Moore International press day before culminating with the "007 Days of Bond: the Blu-relay Tour" throughout the UK.

Debuting just prior to the theatrical premiere of Skyfall, the Bond 50 box set includes an additional space for that Blu-ray when it is released next year.
Special thanks to bjamesobrad! :cheers:
bjamesobrad
Lieutenant
Favorite Bond Movie: Thunderball, Goldeneye, The World Is Not Enough, Goldfinger, From Russia With Love, Tomorrow Never Dies, You Only Live Twice, Die Another Day, Dr. No, The Living Daylights, Live And Let Die, For Your Eyes Only, The Spy Who Loved Me (order subject to change based on mood)
Favorite Movies: The Man With No Name Trilogy, Heat, The Dark Knight, Unforgiven, Star Wars, Cobra

Re: Bond 50 Becomes Bestselling Blu-ray Box Set of 2012

Post by bjamesobrad »

Classic Bond still sells. On Dec 13 MGM & 20th Cent Fox announced Bond 50 as the best selling boxset on bluray for 2012
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=10103
Rest in Peace
James Bond
November 14, 2006
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

bjamesobrad wrote:Classic Bond still sells. On Dec 13 MGM & 20th Cent Fox announced Bond 50 as the best selling boxset on bluray for 2012
I'm not buying it.
bjamesobrad
Lieutenant
Favorite Bond Movie: Thunderball, Goldeneye, The World Is Not Enough, Goldfinger, From Russia With Love, Tomorrow Never Dies, You Only Live Twice, Die Another Day, Dr. No, The Living Daylights, Live And Let Die, For Your Eyes Only, The Spy Who Loved Me (order subject to change based on mood)
Favorite Movies: The Man With No Name Trilogy, Heat, The Dark Knight, Unforgiven, Star Wars, Cobra

Post by bjamesobrad »

FormerBondFan wrote:
bjamesobrad wrote:Classic Bond still sells. On Dec 13 MGM & 20th Cent Fox announced Bond 50 as the best selling boxset on bluray for 2012
I'm not buying it.
Thats a shame my friend. It really is a good boxset. To say the Connery movies look awesome on blu-ray is an understatement. They look phenominal. Words cannot express. And all the other look great as well but the Connery ones really impress. Goldeneye does have some DNR thou.

I recommend you get if not the boxset at least the original 20 on Blu-ray it's worth it.
Rest in Peace
James Bond
November 14, 2006
The Saint 007
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me, A View To A Kill, Goldfinger, GoldenEye, For Your Eyes Only, Moonraker, Octopussy, Thunderball

Post by The Saint 007 »

bjamesobrad wrote:
FormerBondFan wrote:
I'm not buying it.
Thats a shame my friend. It really is a good boxset. To say the Connery movies look awesome on blu-ray is an understatement. They look phenominal. Words cannot express. And all the other look great as well but the Connery ones really impress. Goldeneye does have some DNR thou.

I recommend you get if not the boxset at least the original 20 on Blu-ray it's worth it.
I had all the Bond films on VHS, then I got all the Special Edition DVDs, and then I later got the Ultimate Edition DVDs. I don't have a Blu-ray player, but if I did, I would probably just buy the Blu-ray editions of the Connery/Moore Bonds. Those are my most favourite/watched ones in the series, so getting the entire collection again on Blu-ray may not really be worth it in my case.
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

$100 for all the movies was incredibly cheap, even at $150. I'm happy the bond 50 set sold so well I mean nobody was buying it just to get Craig's two movies , Connery's Bond lives!!!! :d

I wonder if it out of print yet? If they don't keep making the 50th set I think it will be collectible
............ :007:
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Omega wrote:I'm happy the bond 50 set sold so well I mean nobody was buying it just to get Craig's two movies , Connery's Bond lives!!!! :d
The 2 DC's Bonds should be microwave
bjamesobrad
Lieutenant

Post by bjamesobrad »

Omega wrote:$100 for all the movies was incredibly cheap, even at $150. I'm happy the bond 50 set sold so well I mean nobody was buying it just to get Craig's two movies , Connery's Bond lives!!!! :d

I wonder if it out of print yet? If they don't keep making the 50th set I think it will be collectible
I do believe they stopped print on the boxset. I have heard people saying they can't find it now. That's in Calgary Alberta Canada close to me.[/quote]
Rest in Peace
James Bond
November 14, 2006
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

bjamesobrad wrote:
Omega wrote:$100 for all the movies was incredibly cheap, even at $150. I'm happy the bond 50 set sold so well I mean nobody was buying it just to get Craig's two movies , Connery's Bond lives!!!! :d

I do believe they stopped print on the boxset. I have heard people saying they can't find it now. That's in Calgary Alberta Canada close to me.
At another movie forum I saw the set was hard to find in Canada. IF all that is out if all there will ever be until the next omnibus set (and they go back to single releases for 2013) the 50th set will skyrocket in value. Can someone with the set tell me if the 50th disc say 50th anniversary on them? The limited release of OHMSS looks like a normal Bond Blu-ray.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

FormerBondFan wrote:
Omega wrote:I'm happy the bond 50 set sold so well I mean nobody was buying it just to get Craig's two movies , Connery's Bond lives!!!! :d
The 2 DC's Bonds should be microwaved.
You own them you can do whatever you please with them. The cost of the remaining 9 movies goes from $9.99 to $14.99 if you can find them in the store. Gray market its like $20 to $30. The used set of the previous releases are cheap if you know how to look.
the people who got it for $99 stole it almost guaranteed it cost more to make the set. The big news of the day is MGM made 50 million because of classic James Bond 007 Indy and Star wars didn't, they also were not 22 disc sets over 50 years at $150 to $200 each. Cubby's Bond saved MGM day once again. :007:[
bjamesobrad
Lieutenant

Post by bjamesobrad »

Omega wrote:
bjamesobrad wrote:

I do believe they stopped print on the boxset. I have heard people saying they can't find it now. That's in Calgary Alberta Canada close to me.
At another movie forum I saw the set was hard to find in Canada. IF all that is out if all there will ever be until the next omnibus set (and they go back to single releases for 2013) the 50th set will skyrocket in value. Can someone with the set tell me if the 50th disc say 50th anniversary on them? The limited release of OHMSS looks like a normal Bond Blu-ray.

No they don't say 50th anniversary on them. I am at work and don't have my set on me but I am 99% sure they don't say 50th on them. When I go home I will check and update if they do.
Rest in Peace
James Bond
November 14, 2006
bjamesobrad
Lieutenant

Post by bjamesobrad »

Goldeneye wrote:Image
Blu-ray.com Bond 50 Becomes Bestselling Blu-ray
Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc. (MGM) and Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment announced today that Bond 50 is the bestselling Blu-ray box set of 2012 with projected worldwide sales totaling $50 million in consumer spending to date. The unprecedented 23-disc premium collection features all 22 classic films on stunning Blu-ray for the first time and more than 122 hours of bonus features. The collectible box set was released on September 24 in the United Kingdom and September 25 in North America; additional international markets followed through October.

The Bond 50 box set release was timed to coincide with the 50th anniversary celebration of the Bond franchise in 2012. The year-long campaign launched globally at the annual Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, included a first of a kind exhibit of Bond vehicles at San Diego Comic-Con, the re-release of Dr. No in U.S. movie theaters and a Roger Moore International press day before culminating with the "007 Days of Bond: the Blu-relay Tour" throughout the UK.

Debuting just prior to the theatrical premiere of Skyfall, the Bond 50 box set includes an additional space for that Blu-ray when it is released next year.
Special thanks to bjamesobrad! :cheers:

:cheers: back at ya Goldeneye
Rest in Peace
James Bond
November 14, 2006
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

I meant to say this last week but you should probable buy the UK if you're still hunting it. All of the disks except QOS are region free. Looking at Amazon US this set can't be had for under $200.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

bjamesobrad wrote:
Omega wrote:
bjamesobrad wrote:

No they don't say 50th anniversary on them. I am at work and don't have my set on me but I am 99% sure they don't say 50th on them. When I go home I will check and update if they do.
Oh ok . All the pictures in the ads show the 50th printed on the disks. I doubted they'd have two separate disc pressings. If they did the 50th set would be incredible collectible. BTW looks like Amazon UK is the last place with the set for a decent price. And except for QOS they are region free.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

What the hell Tapatalk app ?!? why did my first post suddenly appear after it looked as if it didn't post? :\
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love

Post by stockslivevan »

Got this set and I gotta say it's very impressive how all the Bond films looks in HD. The only one that didn't look impressive was TND, but that's mainly because the cinematographer give it a very soft and subdued look, using lots of smoke on sets and such and as a result the blu-ray is barely an upgrade from the DVD.
Mazer Rackham
Q
Favorite Bond Movie: Thunderball
From Russia with love

Post by Mazer Rackham »

stockslivevan wrote:Got this set and I gotta say it's very impressive how all the Bond films looks in HD. The only one that didn't look impressive was TND, but that's mainly because the cinematographer give it a very soft and subdued look, using lots of smoke on sets and such and as a result the blu-ray is barely an upgrade from the DVD.
MGM dropped the ball on GoldenEye, a very poor master was used. TWINE was the same DVD master as years ago, there was one of Moore's as well they didn't do justice, over all the movies never looked better it will be many, many, many years before MGM revisits them. However better than 1080p masters exists in MGMs vaults, they make the rounds to some of retro theaters using digital projection (original film is better but too many issues to keep sending them out).
"That f**king truck driver!" Ian Fleming
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love

Post by stockslivevan »

I wasn't too bothered with the GE transfer, mainly because I've seen far worse DNR treatments. Check out STAR TREK VI, which looks like rubber city. Still, would be nice to get a new GE transfer. At least the cropping issues are gone.
bjamesobrad
Lieutenant

Post by bjamesobrad »

stockslivevan wrote:I wasn't too bothered with the GE transfer, mainly because I've seen far worse DNR treatments. Check out STAR TREK VI, which looks like rubber city. Still, would be nice to get a new GE transfer. At least the cropping issues are gone.
Your right, there are far worse transfers out there and Goldeneye does look great in alot of spots. The DNR is not that bothersome, but it's a shame that DNR was used on that movie while all the others were done with out.
Rest in Peace
James Bond
November 14, 2006
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

February 12 the rest of the Bond exclusive blu-ray are coming to general release, also a CR/QOS twine pack. I think Skyfall would be a Feb 12th release too.

(Only one place I go has this release date, I don't think its official yet.)