Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Connery refuses to promote James Bond box set for franchise'

Post by Blowfeld »

Admittedly it's a sensationalist headline I don't think Connery would like the tax consequences of the pay day for promoting the dvds :wink:
Sean Connery refuses to promote James Bond box set for franchise's 50th anniversary this week
Sir Roger Moore and Pierce Brosnan have agreed to promote the release of a new Blu-ray DVD set, but Connery is refusing. He believes he was cheated out of millions by 007 movie executives, sources said.

By James Desborough / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Tuesday, September 18, 2012, 12:26 PM
LOS ANGELES — James Bond movie makers kick off a whirlwind celebration of the franchise’s 50th anniversary in London this week, but America’s favorite secret agent — Sir Sean Connery — is snubbing the whole shebang.

Sir Roger Moore and Pierce Brosnan have agreed to promote the release of a new Blu-ray DVD box set, but Connery is refusing, and believes he was cheated out of millions of dollars by 007 movie executives, sources said.

The Bond franchise’s worldwide worth is unknown — but in the United States alone, Forbes has reported it at $1.6 billion.

Connery’s take from the six films he starred in for MGM: $3 million.

MGM and 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment, with Eon Productions on Sept. 25 will release a 22-disc collection of all the Bond films. With the accompanying hardcover collector’s book, the whole thing retails for $184.96 on Amazon.

Moore began a seven-day tour of Great Britain on Monday in an Aston Martin DBS, the car featured in “Quantum of Solace” in 2008, to push sales. Along the way, he’ll carry the first copy of the Bond Blu-ray collection in a golden briefcase.

[spoil]For Connery, who was spotted last week at the U.S. Open, that’s all nonsense.

The 81-year-old has been in a four decade-long running feud over his pay and treatment by Bond producers Albert (Cubby) Broccoli and Harry Saltzman.

The snub is a blow to thousands of diehard fans, who hoped that Connery — often voted the best Bond by fan clubs worldwide — would reconsider.
BOND17F_24_WEB

Sean Connery is arguably the most recognizable James Bond in the franchise's history.

“Sir Sean is and remains retired,” Connery’s rep Nancy Seltzer said. “He has not given any current interviews regarding the anniversary of Bond.

“I’m sorry, but he has retired and has declined making public appearances.”
BOND17F_19_WEB
MGM/courtesy Everett Collection
Pierce Brosnan as Bond with Denise Richards in 1999's 'The World Is Not Enough.'

A source close to the star said: “Sean still feels aggrieved by how he was treated by Cubby over the years. He felt that he was never well financially rewarded for his early work, and after his departure his work was used to generate tens of millions of dollars. Nobody has changed his mind about that in over 40 years.”
BOND17F_8_WEB

Jane Seymour and Roger Seymour in the 1973 'Live and Let Die.'
BOND17F_12_WEB

Roger Moore in the movie "For Your Eyes Only".

Broccoli’s production company Eon continued to use Connery’s image to promote the franchise in the ’70s and ’80s without the actor earning an extra penny.

Connery was so upset, he snubbed Broccoli’s funeral and memorial in the late 1990s.

Former leading men like Pierce Brosnan and Roger Moore and directors Michael Apted, Martin Campbell and Guy Hamilton have all contributed to tens of extra hours of commentaries and content about their role in the movies in the box set.
BOND17F_16_WEB

Timothy Dalton held the role of Bond from 1987 until 1989.
BOND17F_26_WEB

MGM Studios and Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment unveil "Bond 50," a box-set featuring all 22 James Bond films on Blu-ray Disc in celebration of the James Bond franchise's 50th anniversary.

Fans will be left with old interviews from Connery promoting his movies back in the 1960s.

The rift with Connery is already apparent in the international trailer for the Blu-ray trailer of the Bond films. The nearly two-minute promo almost wipes Connery out of 007 history.

It shows Connery onscreen for less than five seconds.[/spoil]

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainmen ... -1.1162057

"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
Mazer Rackham
Q
Favorite Bond Movie: Thunderball
From Russia with love

Re: Connery refuses to promote James Bond box set for franch

Post by Mazer Rackham »

Blowfeld wrote:.

Connery’s take from the six films he starred in for MGM: $3 million.
Connery was the best paid Bond in the history of the franchise deservedly so. He cleared 3m on Goldfinger alone.
"That f**king truck driver!" Ian Fleming
Logan
New Recruit

Post by Logan »

Amazon going to have the Bond 50 set for $109.99 as a deal of the day.
peace
The Saint 007
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me, A View To A Kill, Goldfinger, GoldenEye, For Your Eyes Only, Moonraker, Octopussy, Thunderball

Post by The Saint 007 »

I had all the Bond films on VHS, then sold them once I got the Special Edition DVDs. Then I later got the Ultimate Edition DVDs. I don't own a Blu-ray player, but if I did, I would probably just buy the Blu-ray editions of the Connery and Moore Bonds since they're my most favourite/watched ones in the series.
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

The Saint 007 wrote:I had all the Bond films on VHS, then sold them once I got the Special Edition DVDs. Then I later got the Ultimate Edition DVDs. I don't own a Blu-ray player, but if I did, I would probably just buy the Blu-ray editions of the Connery and Moore Bonds since they're my most favourite/watched ones in the series.
I have one of the "limited edition" 007 Briefcases the one with all the movies before Daniel came on the scene, put "Limited edition" in quotations because I am not sure it has retained any value. I wish I had kept the tin I had before this neat 007 logo made by the DVD spines.
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

The Bond 50th Blu-ray set is £75.00 at Amazon.co.uk the DVD set is £49.00