Classic Bond on Blu-Ray - WOW!!!

Television listings for Bond and video talk
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love

Classic Bond on Blu-Ray - WOW!!!

Post by stockslivevan »

DVDbeaver, a site dedicated to analyzing and comparing DVD and Blu-Rays to judge whether transfers stay true to their original presentations, has recently done a review of the new Blu-Ray Bond films. And I must say, EON did a hell of a job, the films look almost as if they were recently made, very clear, sharp, detailed. I'll definitely get the Connery films in the future!

From Russia with Love
Thunderball

Note: A review of Dr. No is expected to be posted soon.

Oh, and there's also Blu-Ray review of everyone's favorite Bond film. :wink:
Mazer Rackham
Q
Favorite Bond Movie: Thunderball
From Russia with love

Re: Classic Bond on Blu-Ray - WOW!!!

Post by Mazer Rackham »

Wasn't Eon, Lowry Digital Images deserves the credit. These are the same remasters that most recent DVDs benefited from.

I agree the PQ and AQ is incredible.

So as longs as it isn't in a thread I started you get all hot and bothered about the Blu-ray release? ;)
"That f**king truck driver!" Ian Fleming
katied

Post by katied »

As far as CR on Blu Ray goes, I have one thing to say:You can't polish a turd. :twisted:
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

Mazer Rackham wrote:Wasn't Eon, Lowry Digital Images deserves the credit.
Then we should thank EON for hiring them. :wink:

Although I have to say, while they did a great job with most of the transfers, what was up with the work they did on AVTAK and GE?! They're both cropped up and the picture quality is bad in comparison to the SE DVDs. Is this gonna be something they'll fix on Blu-Ray?
Mazer Rackham
Q
From Russia with love

Post by Mazer Rackham »

stockslivevan wrote:

Although I have to say, while they did a great job with most of the transfers, what was up with the work they did on AVTAK and GE?! They're both cropped up and the picture quality is bad in comparison to the SE DVDs. Is this gonna be something they'll fix on Blu-Ray?
I sincerely hope so. We won't know until the release them. Maybe the New DVDs (AVTAL & GE) next week will reveal if a correction has been made.
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

Aren't they going to be a part of the next batch sometime in the future? I don't recall seeing them on the list of Bond Blu-Ray titles.
Mazer Rackham
Q
From Russia with love

Post by Mazer Rackham »

stockslivevan wrote:Aren't they going to be a part of the next batch sometime in the future?
You mean on Blu-ray?
Yes. Around the time Quark hits Home video, if these Classic Bond Blu-rays sell well. A lot depends on this. If they don't, any future HD release may be put on hold until the Blu-ray market picks up.
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

Mazer Rackham wrote: Yes. Around the time Quark hits Home video, if these Classic Bond Blu-rays sell well. A lot depends on this. If they don't, any future HD release may be put on hold until the Blu-ray market picks up.
I figured much. They'll probably release QOS both in a Blu-Ray volume and separately.
Mazer Rackham
Q
From Russia with love

Post by Mazer Rackham »

stockslivevan wrote:
Mazer Rackham wrote: Yes. Around the time Quark hits Home video, if these Classic Bond Blu-rays sell well. A lot depends on this. If they don't, any future HD release may be put on hold until the Blu-ray market picks up.
I figured much. They'll probably release QOS both in a Blu-Ray volume and separately.
Maybe, they may want to channel all the Blu-ray sales in to the single copy and offer a complete series later on (or do like they did for DAD in 2003). But for the US set sales are better when they mix and match the actors/moives to boost sales.
Mazer Rackham
Q
From Russia with love

Post by Mazer Rackham »

katied wrote:As far as CR on Blu Ray goes, I have one thing to say:You can't polish a turd. :twisted:
Oh, yes you can! It's called the 2 disc collector edition! ;)
Logan
New Recruit

Post by Logan »

4 words Comcast HD On Demand. Many of them are free.
peace
katied

Post by katied »

Logan wrote:4 words Comcast HD On Demand. Many of them are free.

Oh man..the On demand thing is GREAT.My parents just got digital cable a few days ago and it is AWESOME.
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

Mazer Rackham wrote:
stockslivevan wrote:

I sincerely hope so. We won't know until the release them. Maybe the New DVDs (AVTAL & GE) next week will reveal if a correction has been made.
I just watched GE on the Special Edition DVD, it's been awhile since I saw this one. But my God, the difference is astonishing. How the hell did they screw this up with UE DVD? Check out this comparison for example, it's frankly embarrassing that this is the work of Lowry. Colors are dimmed, contrast is weak, details are blurred. Just all around bad.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b188/ ... mb/ge2.jpg
Mazer Rackham
Q
From Russia with love

Post by Mazer Rackham »

stockslivevan wrote: I just watched GE on the Special Edition DVD, it's been awhile since I saw this one. But my God, the difference is astonishing. How the hell did they screw this up with UE DVD? Check out this comparison for example, it's frankly embarrassing that this is the work of Lowry. Colors are dimmed, contrast is weak, details are blurred. Just all around bad.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b188/ ... mb/ge2.jpg
That's what happens when you monkey around with newer masters that do not need the same special attention older prints do.
It could be like the Terminator 2 flap where the Laser disc had a completly different color scheme than the DVD or HD DVD and Blu-ray. Turns out the master used for the Laser disc was wrong and didn't have the correct color filter treatment or what not. Could be the case here but I doubt it.

One word about the collector 3 pack (USA) what a crappy looking set up. The discs I saw came in the individual case and were what should be expected from a Blu-ray disc. The Collectors pack I do not care for at all.

stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

Yeah, I'm still buying 'em separate. If I knew the UE dvds would be sold separately I would have waited instead of going for the full packs. But then again they had no special features (just first disc) so I suppose I still would have got em.
Mazer Rackham
Q
From Russia with love

Post by Mazer Rackham »

stockslivevan wrote:Yeah, I'm still buying 'em separate. If I knew the UE dvds would be sold separately I would have waited instead of going for the full packs. But then again they had no special features (just first disc) so I suppose I still would have got em.
You know I had the impression the UEs sold separately were the 2 disc as well. You may be correct on this.

One thing all who pick up the blu-ray editions should keep in mind, while some reviews praise the movie as looking as if they were shot yesterday and they do indeed look remarkable as many noted about the last DVD release, there will be a lot of grain still noticeable. This is not a defect, it is simply a part of the original film and the age of the film.

The CR 2 disc, the movie itself has the same transfer and defects as the previous release. They did not remaster and fix it. The Sound track is TrueHD instead of the outstanding uncompressed sound offered in the original release. If you already own the CR blu-ray there is no reason to buy it again unless you want the extra disc of fluff.

Of interest to collectors is there is a Steelbook edition available of the classic Bond Blu-rays from Best Buy $24.99 each. I have not seen them yet so I can not describe what they are like.

Oh, appears Fox, who distrubutes the classic Bond while Sony handles the new films, was concerned about illegal copying of DAD, apparently they implemented a new form of BD+ which has not been broken yet (inevitably it will be). Problem with BD+ is a lot of Blu-ray player may not recognize it or not be recognized themselves and lock up. I'll be following it curiously to see if this turns out to be a problem.
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

Mazer Rackham wrote:
stockslivevan wrote:Yeah, I'm still buying 'em separate. If I knew the UE dvds would be sold separately I would have waited instead of going for the full packs. But then again they had no special features (just first disc) so I suppose I still would have got em.
You know I had the impression the UEs sold separately were the 2 disc as well. You may be correct on this.[/quite]Yup, the seperate 2 disc sets were only sold on R2. R1 only got the single discs.
One thing all who pick up the blu-ray editions should keep in mind, while some reviews praise the movie as looking as if they were shot yesterday and they do indeed look remarkable as many noted about the last DVD release, there will be a lot of grain still noticeable. This is not a defect, it is simply a part of the original film and the age of the film.
Of course, but for a low budget film made in 1962, it's still d**n impressive to look at. I notice that a lot of films that aren't made in this decade have noticeable grain, I accept that given the age. LA Confidential has that too, yet for what it is, it's still good to look at. If made recently, it would be a disappointment.
Mazer Rackham
Q
From Russia with love

Post by Mazer Rackham »

stockslivevan wrote:
Mazer Rackham wrote:
You know I had the impression the UEs sold separately were the 2 disc as well. You may be correct on this.[/quite]Yup, the seperate 2 disc sets were only sold on R2. R1 only got the single discs.
Of course, but for a low budget film made in 1962, it's still d**n impressive to look at. I notice that a lot of films that aren't made in this decade have noticeable grain, I accept that given the age. LA Confidential has that too, yet for what it is, it's still good to look at. If made recently, it would be a disappointment.
It does look good. But when people hear it looks like it a recent film sometimes, I feel, they get their hopes and standards set too high.
Mazer Rackham
Q
From Russia with love

Target Blu-ray classic Bond $19.98

Post by Mazer Rackham »

Reports have come in that Target has a unadvertised sale on the Classic Bonds.
James Bond blu-ray at Fry's for $16.99. Fry has this price advertised in their sales circular.

Code: Select all

Target
James Bond Blu-ray all 6 classics; 19.98 each

Dr. No
From Russia With Love
Thunderball
Live and Let Die
Die Another Day
For Your Eyes Only

Code: Select all

Fry's
James Bond Blu-ray all 6 classics; 16.99 each

Dr. No
From Russia With Love
Thunderball
Live and Let Die
Die Another Day
For Your Eyes Only
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

It's amazing how prices vary at different stores when it comes to Blu-Ray. At Target I found $19.99 deals while at Barnes & Noble the price 'em at $29.99-$34.99, never less! Which sucks because I like to get my flicks there because I have a discount card for 30% off.