Box office thread

News and Discussion of all things Dr Who
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Re: Box office thread

Post by Kristatos »

Not that bothered about Super Mario, but I've heard good things about the Dungeons and Dragons movie.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Latest Weekend: Apr 14-16
The Super Mario Bros. Movie $87.0M
The Pope's Exorcist $9.2M
John Wick: Chapter 4 $7.9M
Renfield $7.8M
Air $7.7M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
............ :007:
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Kristatos wrote:Not that bothered about Super Mario, but I've heard good things about the Dungeons and Dragons movie.
We’ve got kids in the family which grew up with the wii and handhelds that know Mario from that.
Dungeons and dragons look good, and the trailer I saw reminds me o vox machina

Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Omega wrote:
Kristatos wrote:Not that bothered about Super Mario, but I've heard good things about the Dungeons and Dragons movie.
We’ve got kids in the family which grew up with the wii and handhelds that know Mario from that.
Dungeons and dragons look good, and the trailer I saw reminds me o vox machina

It does seem to be very much aimed at kids. Nothing wrong with that, but I don't think I'm the target audience.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Latest Weekend: May 5-7
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 $114.0M
The Super Mario Bros. Movie $18.6M
Evil Dead Rise $5.7M
Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret. $3.4M
John Wick: Chapter 4 $2.4M

Family saw guardians 3, loved it said it was a blast. Kids dancing to the sound track

Good opening for the franchise , g

Guardians one had a 94 million opening in 2014 , guardians two open in 146 million, after Covid it’s not a bad opening.

Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Omega wrote:Latest Weekend: May 5-7
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 $114.0M
The Super Mario Bros. Movie $18.6M
Evil Dead Rise $5.7M
Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret. $3.4M
John Wick: Chapter 4 $2.4M

Family saw guardians 3, loved it said it was a blast. Kids dancing to the sound track

Good opening for the franchise , g

Guardians one had a 94 million opening in 2014 , guardians two open in 146 million, after Covid it’s not a bad opening.

It also means Chris Pratt is in both the top two movies. I'm planning to see Guardians on Tuesday, though the way my life is at the moment means that plans can change at short notice.

Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Disney wanted to blacklist him because of his politics But Jurassic world, Mario, guardians all do well. We’ll see how well it last. Thor love and thunder opened big but was a turdblossom of a movie. Hit all it the woke talking points without bother to craft a story to explain it . It was supposed to be a team up of guardians of the galaxy and Thor, and it is turned into a mess. But love and thunder opened bigger, antman opened. In the same range but died out quickly . If word of mouth can’t carry guardians to 800 million or more it’s not gonna make a new mark on marvel, Disney decision making

Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

I've never heard of Disney trying to blacklist him. I remember some Twitter randoms attacking him for beliefs he denies holding, and James Gunn defending him.

Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Well Disney has a bad recent history with any dissenting political voices . Blacklist may be too strong a word , Pratt made comments that were either gun rights or maybe conservative” , immediately after it seemed Disney and universal studios tried to make moves about not using him or spread stores he was too “toxic” to be a leading man. Honestly I may be off on some of this, I haven’t paid a lot of attention to Hollywood as I used to before Covid.
There is one reviewer I who like who really does have insider track as well as being a comic book fan /geek. And she had repeated some of the comments about it being too bad cris Pratt made right wing comments because movies goers would now distance themselves from him. Obviously he’s finished 2 of his big contracts really strong and could make more movies for universal jp franchise. Disney did seem to reduce his roles in tie in and other stories. James Gunn may be a factor too, Pratt and other stars jumped ship to support him when disney took action against Gunn in either real or pretend outrage , also Gunn made a dc movie and now heads dc universe where they killed the only two franchises that had an audience Wonder Woman and Aquaman .
They run with flashpoint with that creepy erza Miller, who has actually done and said enough to be removed for movies. But I’ve heard more Hollywood people trying to rehabilitate Miller to save flashpoint

Any way I may be wrong about blacklisting Pratt but Disney did minimize his roles and seeming begrudgingly allowed his final movie in the guardians franchise.

Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Some people have accused Pratt of holding homophobic views, but he denies this, and people who have worked with him say that they have never heard him express such views. If he does hold them, he keeps them to himself. James Gunn was fired from GOTG3 after some bad-taste jokes that he had tweeted out 10 years earlier resurfaced, despite him having deleted them six years beforehand. It was a total manufactured controversy, few people would have even known about the tweets if some hacker hadn't dug them up. The stars of the film, including Pratt, signed an open letter saying that they would refuse to do the film unless Gunn was reinstated. So he was.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Just got back from seeing Guardians. I enjoyed it, though I thought that they could easily have cut the running time by 45 minutes. But that seems to be the way of the modern blockbuster.

bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

Kristatos wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 11:27 am Some people have accused Pratt of holding homophobic views, but he denies this, and people who have worked with him say that they have never heard him express such views. If he does hold them, he keeps them to himself. James Gunn was fired from GOTG3 after some bad-taste jokes that he had tweeted out 10 years earlier resurfaced, despite him having deleted them six years beforehand. It was a total manufactured controversy, few people would have even known about the tweets if some hacker hadn't dug them up. The stars of the film, including Pratt, signed an open letter saying that they would refuse to do the film unless Gunn was reinstated. So he was.
This entire concept of not being yourself in beliefs and being forced into conformity is ridiculous! People can be against homosexuality if they want as that is their right but once that happens they get LABELED a noun which in this this case is HOMOPHOBIC. People are free to live their lives as they wish but people are also free to believe in what they want and this entire WOKE garbage is nothing but a censorship attempt to shut down counter thought!
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Not really. We all have to bite our tongue sometimes, and I imagine that goes double for a public figure such as a movie star. One definition of madness is the inability to think something without saying it out loud. Plus, LGBT people are famously overrepresented in the entertainment industry. If you think that half the people you work with are going to burn in Hell, it's probably not a good idea to tell them so.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Before this weekend guardians 3 is $384 million world wide, we’ll see if it had legs or not, but June it’ll be done for Bo

Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Kristatos wrote:Not really. We all have to bite our tongue sometimes, and I imagine that goes double for a public figure such as a movie star. One definition of madness is the inability to think something without saying it out loud. Plus, LGBT people are famously overrepresented in the entertainment industry. If you think that half the people you work with are going to burn in Hell, it's probably not a good idea to tell them so.
Problem for celebrities is in their industry they need to been seen saying the “correct” things, supporting the “correct” causes. And it’s not for them or because of them, it is built in to the industry just as much as the casting couch and other shenanigans

If someone doesn’t care their career can be ruined by being pro gun ownership or for school choice or whatever they speak their mind , which nobody actually wanted to know . The only people who actually care are insiders. To be fair to celebrities, there’s no safe way to navigate this politically speaking, John Kennedy, Ronald Reagan, Bill Clinton wouldn’t recognize their parties today, so how is a self-centered actor supposed to know the right things to say besides following the Hollywood script?

Now ai writers and actors may be the way to enjoy a story without the concern the actor , writer, studio doesn’t support whatever the world view happens to be. Of course the ai will run off servers in China and all so each will be approved speech, (JK)

Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Just read that the estimated box office figures have GOTG3's second weekend drop at only 49%, which is considered good nowadays. In fact, it's the MCU's second-lowest drop after the original Black Panther. It suggests that it will have legs.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Latest Weekend: May 12-14
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 $60.5M
The Super Mario Bros. Movie $13.0M
Book Club: The Next Chapter $6.5M
Evil Dead Rise $3.7M
Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret. $2.5M

It’s holding. We want to see it over Memorial Day if it’s still in the theater we want to go to. Nicer seating , honestly more comfortable than home. If it’s not in that theater we will wait to watch it at home

Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

GOTG3's worldwide box office trajectory so far is similar to Age Of Ultron's, so that bodes well.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Latest Weekend: May 19-21
Fast X $67.5M
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 $32.0M
The Super Mario Bros. Movie $9.8M
Book Club: The Next Chapter $3.0M
Evil Dead Rise $2.4M

Good hold for guardians

It’s at $659 million ww, probably be 800m- 1 billion , if it track like age of ultron it be $1.4 billion. If dies well over Memorial Day we’ll see it hit that mark. I don’t think we’ll see another top gun maverick any thins soon, we’ll made movie that hit the marks to hold most of last summer

Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Kristatos wrote:GOTG3's worldwide box office trajectory so far is similar to Age Of Ultron's, so that bodes well.
Thinking about it most of the world wide total won’t be added until tomorrow so it could be $700 or higher. Be a nice swan song for the series , honestly of the marvel movies this series is one all the generations enjoy and one we play the music from the most