New series

News and Discussion of all things Dr Who
Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Moonraker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

New series

Post by Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry »

I enjoyed the new episode of Doctor Who. I thought the new companion might be a bit annoying but it was not the case.

Who will be the new Doctor? I read that it may be Kris Marshall.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Re: New series

Post by Kristatos »

I liked the character, but I sometimes found Pearl Mackie hard to understand. I don't think it's my hearing, as I didn't have the same problem with the other actors. I just don't think her diction is very good.

I'm sceptical about the Kris Marshall story. Still no announcement from the BBC. Some people are saying that it sounds like one of those fake stories planted in order to identify leakers.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Moonraker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

Post by Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry »

Kristatos wrote:I liked the character, but I sometimes found Pearl Mackie hard to understand. I don't think it's my hearing, as I didn't have the same problem with the other actors. I just don't think her diction is very good.

I'm sceptical about the Kris Marshall story. Still no announcement from the BBC. Some people are saying that it sounds like one of those fake stories planted in order to identify leakers.
I can understand most people when they speak English - although some of the French accents during the Presidential vote were a bit tricky.

The skulls in the garden in the latest ep were scary.
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Latest episode was one of the best in some time. Happiness Patrol II.
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

I am liking this series so far. Hate the thought Peter Capaldi leaving after this series.

Quick Thoughts on the series so far:
[spoil]Episode 1. Interesting harkens back to some of the 4th Dr era, Douglas Adams Professor Chronotis. Not sure about the new companion, glad she is not heterosexual because I'm tired of young women being in "love" with the Dr story lines. Also seems like Steven Moffat want another try at the two girls bouncing around space and time story.

Episode 2. Really like this story, again using classic elements as part of the story telling fabric. Several plot holes and then their is the problematic Dr mind raping the entire memory of a newly evolved sentient species to force a peace. First episode in a long time I really like. Last Series Valyard story arc left a bad taste.

Episode 3.Another story I like. The whole Frost Fair atmosphere was great, honestly could have been a 4th Dr story. A few lose end in the story plot, maybe it all foreshadowing the series finally.

New companion, seems all right, better than most of the Tennant era companions. Some aspects remind me of the companions from the book series, a little more 'realistic' in the raw human reactions to some of the things the Dr does. Althou some of the things she notices reminds me of companions who are possessed or influenced by someone trying to get at the Doctor.[/spoil]
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Over all an improvement on last series. Valeyard rubbish!
Seriously disappointed by the recycling of Sherlock plot points. Tomorrow will see how disappointed I will be about their selection of a new Doctor. They could select a previous incarnation, say Paul McGann who I though was a good choice, however they probably will not. Always wondered why the BBC never tried a spin off of past Doctors Adventures. Still it is sad to have Peter Capaldi departing, I hope it is because he wants to not because the BBC wants a younger actor they can market better.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Jodie Whittaker is the 13th Doctor.

Edit: meanwhile, this might give pause for thought the next time the Mirror releases an exclusive Bond story.
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

I really enjoyed the last series. But I won't be watching now as it is not Doctor Who.
Bring back Bond!
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

It will never be safe to be sacred again. (The Curse of Fatal Death)
Doctor Who Unbound (Exile) had a female Doctor (Arabella Weir), Time Lord 'punishment' for suicide.

Doctor Who is one of the few formats this might work in, however when the actors first words are 'as a feminist' and then go one to chide fans not to be scared of her gender she is too hung up on gender. They were too hung up about sexuality with the restart of the series really to the detriment of the series.
Poor Moffat is probably kicking himself for resigning because he does not get to film his two girls in a TARDIS fetish with River Song somehow making a return for a night of wedded bliss..

For this to work the character has to remain the same, for the Doctor each regeneration essentially is just a body and that is usually how he wears them. I doubt that will happen because the BBC and actor involved will be to hung up on gender. They are not breaking any glass ceilings and not setting any real precedence if they can get over themselves maybe they can tell some good stories somehow I doubt it. My guess is ratings will drop after a bump in ratings from the spectacle of it, BBC will not care until the tie-ins profitability hurts their bottom line. Oddly this may not be Ms Whittaker's fault, the new show runner wants to try somethings he thought the BBC would say no to, my guess is Chris Chibnall's alterations to Doctor Who will hurt the series. On the other hand RTD and Moffat were both Doctor Who fans, each did some unforgivable things to the series so maybe an outsider is acceptable, however this is not a good sign because they are too caught up in the politics of it.

I am not 100% against it just 80% with 20% saying prove it to me.
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Kristatos wrote:Jodie Whittaker is the 13th Doctor.

Edit: meanwhile, this might give pause for thought the next time the Mirror releases an exclusive Bond story.
Excellent point! I went over the bookmakers top contenders for 007 during 2005-2006, completely wrong. Embarrassingly wrong. Yet here we are again hanging on to the headlines fuelled by anonymous sources deep in the pocket of Big Gambling.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Social media reaction to Jodie Whittaker is 80% positive, according to data analysts: https://www.brandwatch.com/blog/react-doctor-who-13/
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Kristatos wrote:Social media reaction to Jodie Whittaker is 80% positive, according to data analysts: https://www.brandwatch.com/blog/react-doctor-who-13/
How many on social media actually watch Doctor Who and buy the merchandise? I am neophyte when it come to social media, maybe this is indicative of over all opinion. Most of my chums are none too pleased, most of us were fans for decades. However myself I have nothing against Jodie, so in this regard I am positive towards her, the casting I am worried is driven by Social Justice flummery.
1981 this would be bold casting, today we are over this for the most part, I just do not want the James Bond Woman's Day PSA mentality to pollute Doctor Who.
“It feels completely overwhelming[highlight=#ffff00], as a feminist[/highlight], as a woman, as an actor, as a human, as someone who wants to continually push themselves and challenge themselves, and [highlight=#ffff00]not be boxed in by what you’re told you can and can’t be[/highlight]. It feels incredible.

“[highlight=#ffff00]I want to tell the fans not to be scared by my gender[/highlight]. Because this is a really exciting time, and Doctor Who represents everything that’s exciting about change. The fans have lived through so many changes, and this is only a new, different one, [highlight=#ffff00]not a fearful one[/highlight]."
This statement bothers me, it was obviously drafted by the politically correct boffins at Beeb, fist it talks down to fans as idiots, then sets ups the discussion as if you don't like me it is because of my gender instead of allowing displeasure at her casting because she is wrong for the role. Poisonous atmosphere to try to conduct changes in because any substantive criticism is going ignored and the bearers of bad news attacked. Right now this is wrapped in corporate group think responding to SJW pressure and the desire to be politically correct.

I may like her as a Doctor, however she will not be getting pass because she is different than previous Doctors. Which ought to be a fair expectation for her and the BBC to have.

I would have worded her announcement as an honour to be selected and looking forward to the challenge. Let others make the comments about gender. Making so upfront and meant to be in your face is driven by activists who have the ear of people in power. If this kind of thinking follows through with drastic alterations to the programme they will kill Doctor Who and Jodie's name will go down in infamy.

Leave the mundane quibbling and activism to the human world we live in let Doctor Who be Doctor Who.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

I think it was meant to reassure people. It's just unfortunate that it was then followed by a bunch of Tumblrbabies going "Yeah! Stop being so sexist, you sexist!"
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Kristatos wrote:I think it was meant to reassure people. It's just unfortunate that it was then followed by a bunch of Tumblrbabies going "Yeah! Stop being so sexist, you sexist!"
True. It was meant to be reassuring except for other word was gender related. It plays well with activist who were not already Doctor Who fans, the BBC wanted a victory lap to show how open minded they are now. The BBC decided to be smug and it may come back to bite them.

If the new showrunner plays this down the middle avoiding the temptation to be stupid about who left the seat up in the TARDIS loo, maybe it will work. I like this actress otherwise. I think the BBC social bubble was too focused on breaking an imaginary boundary and crowing about it. If this is a mistake made in announcing I'll be happier because at the moment I not convinced they have a serious idea other than being provocative.

We've got to be cautious as fans Moffat toyed with the idea of the Master being pregnant with a child of incest. Or would it be selflove?
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Blowfeld wrote: True. It was meant to be reassuring except for other word was gender related. It plays well with activist who were not already Doctor Who fans, the BBC wanted a victory lap to show how open minded they are now. The BBC decided to be smug and it may come back to bite them.
That wasn't how I saw it, at least not the original statement. I think it was just a case of trying to deal with the elephant in the room. She must have known that the casting would be controversial, and was asking people not to be scared of change. She was less inflammatory than Colin Baker, quoting from his own regeneration scene, saying "She's The Doctor...whether you like it or not."
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

New opinion poll on the casting (scroll down to item 3): https://yougov.co.uk/opi/surveys/result ... 5f534f/age

Bear in mind that YouGov is somewhat controversial, as many other pollsters have pointed out flaws in their methodology.
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

New series

Post by Blowfeld »

Kristatos wrote:
Blowfeld wrote: True. It was meant to be reassuring except for other word was gender related. It plays well with activist who were not already Doctor Who fans, the BBC wanted a victory lap to show how open minded they are now. The BBC decided to be smug and it may come back to bite them.
That wasn't how I saw it, at least not the original statement. I think it was just a case of trying to deal with the elephant in the room. She must have known that the casting would be controversial, and was asking people not to be scared of change. She was less inflammatory than Colin Baker, quoting from his own regeneration scene, saying "She's The Doctor...whether you like it or not."
I don't see it this way. I like her as an actor, I have been aware of this possibility since 1981, I paid attention to where the show runners and BBC were taking the show. I do not like this patronising statement.

It is not a mystery what the intentions are, the method used is rubbish.

Colin Baker because he knows what it is like to be so bloody awful he punts the show in to hiatus. Insufferable fellow.
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Kristatos wrote:New opinion poll on the casting (scroll down to item 3): https://yougov.co.uk/opi/surveys/result ... 5f534f/age

Bear in mind that YouGov is somewhat controversial, as many other pollsters have pointed out flaws in their methodology.
more people don't care than do. :( Not a positive sign for the show.